View Full Version : Metallica to play in BOK, Nov 18.

AFCM
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Two months after the release of their new album, Death Magnetic, the heavy metal band Metallica will appear in Tulsa, at the BOK Center, on November 18th.

See, if you build it, they will come.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
This had better be more impressive than that abortion of an album St. Anger.

That CD made my ears itch for a MONTH.

BigTulsa
08-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Metallica hasn't been making decent music since Reloaded, and even that album barely sufficed. Their last good album was the Black Album...

Still, I might go.

AFCM
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Metallica hasn't been making decent music since Reloaded, and even that album barely sufficed. Their last good album was the Black Album...

Still, I might go.

What's considered "decent music" is completely subjective. Load and Reload remind me a lot of Aerosmith and ZZ Top's rock groove sound, with a heavier feel. Aerosmith and ZZ Top are okay in my opinion. It's just because it's Metallica and people are used to break-neck speeds and sudden tempo changes that people are dogging on the music. If any other band released the same material, it would be hailed as a monumental achievement.

I'll admit Load and Reload aren't my favorite albums because they don't seem to compare with their eighties classics in terms of complexity and energy, but that's besides the point. The reason I started the thread was to point out that Tulsa's getting the Metallica bill instead of OKC, because of the BOk.

Metallica is my favorite band and I'm just stoked I get to see them live again. Since it's in Tulsa, I'm hoping the people of T-Town embrace it and push for more developments that will lead to more big-name acts coming through.

While not even close to Lightning, Master, or Justice, this is a collection of samples of their new material, scheduled to be released Sept 12.

YouTube - METALLICA - DEATH MAGNETIC SAMPLES (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1EWR5sgd18)

AFCM
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Okay, the more of this album I hear, the more I realize they'll NEVER be the same without Cliff Burton. They've seem to lose that classical approach of incorporating harmoneous melodies into the blistering riffs, but at least they're speeding up things again.

Here's their newest controlled-leak. The music and vocal structure sounds almost exactly like Slayer.

Listen to it all the way through before making a judgement.
YouTube - My Apocalypse - Metallica (Metallica.com) FULL SONG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrhY1Iyrnc)

andy157
09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Two months after the release of their new album, Death Magnetic, the heavy metal band Metallica will appear in Tulsa, at the BOK Center, on November 18th.

See, if you build it, they will come.I know this is a bit off topic, so please forgive me, but, the Eagles put on a great show last night at the BOK center. I must say the BOK was pretty impressive. It was very user friendly. The liquor bars were pretty nice also.

jsibelius
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
If I didn't think tix would be $900 each, I'd really consider going. I love Metallica. They have a great sound, even when they're just putting out covers. I don't normally like the second version of anything I hear, but their version of Bob Seager's Turn the Page was terrific.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-08-2008, 08:05 AM
If I didn't think tix would be $900 each, I'd really consider going. I love Metallica. They have a great sound, even when they're just putting out covers. I don't normally like the second version of anything I hear, but their version of Bob Seager's Turn the Page was terrific.

That one and Whiskey in the Jar. GREAT cover.

jsibelius
09-08-2008, 12:23 PM
That one and Whiskey in the Jar. GREAT cover.

I hadn't heard that one. I only heard Turn the Page in passing on the radio on one of those rare occasions when I was actually listening to BOB. Usually, I have the mp3 plugged in. Now I'm gonna have to go fish it up and listen.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
It's badass. Old Irish song...I think Thin Lizzy did it too. Metallica's blows theirs away.

soonersmc
09-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I love Whiskey in the Jar, fantastic song - it has been around forever, but the Thin Lizzy version is the most recognized (also random inclusion of fact, I think it is the first version where the name "Molly" is used I think it was Mary before). The tix are not bad, not what I expected..I got floor seats for $105 that included a copy of the CD and a digital download of the concert..I think the base prices when they go on sale are $85 floor, $55 seats.

AFCM
09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
My brother was able to land a few seats in the front row, before the tickets went on sale to the public. Yay, for me.

He was also at the Eagle's concert lastnight and said the acoustics were amazing in the BOK. His only gripe was feeling like the only one of his age group.

so1rfan
09-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Speaking of Metallica, I bought the new cd Friday and have listened to it a couple of times. I would say it is very good but entirely forgettable.

The pressure to "go back to the bands roots" is very evident and sounds forced. Instead of songs they put together riffs. Which isn't bad because they are really heavy riffs but does lead to the afore mentioned forgettable.

It is nice to hear Kirk Hammett again.

So far I would rank it above St Anger, Load, and Reload and below the rest of their catalog.

AFCM
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I completely forgot to update this thread with the video collage my brother made. We were at the rail so he had some decent shots, if you don't mind the shakiness due to people bumping into his back throughout the show. For those of you who were in attendance, this should bring back some memories. Also, if any of you remember the poster that was set next to Lars' drum set - that was my brother's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pfo4pG-Jsk

This is the order in which the videos appear:

00:01 - 00:56
That Was Just Your Life
Death Magnetic

00:57 - 01:21
The End of the Line
Death Magnetic

01:22 - 03:38
One
...And Justice for All

03:39 - 04:14
Cyanide
Death Magnetic

04:15 - 04:45
No Remorse
Kill 'em All

04:46 - 05:49
The Day That Never Comes
Death Magnetic

05:50 - 06:49
Master of Puppets
Master of Puppets

06:50 - 07:18
Battery
Master of Puppets

07:19 - 07:42
Nothing Else Matters
Metallica

07:43 - 09:26
Enter Sandman
Metallica

09:27 - 09:47
Seek and Destroy (Kirk's birthday celebration)
Kill 'em All