View Full Version : Stolen copper non profits targeted

NativeOkie
08-09-2008, 10:28 PM
What is the deal with guys hitting these churches stealing AC units for the copper?
This is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard of non- profits and or churches being hit by copper thieves.
Video (http://www.koco.com/video/17145832/index.html)

bornhere
08-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I doubt thieves worry too much about where they get the copper. It would help if we could get some serious enforcement against the people who buy it.

kevinpate
08-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Greed and need, be the need rent, food, alcohol, drugs or other recreational pursuits, can often cause highly impulsive, poorly planned actions.

Yet if a thief has given any thought to the matter, it should be of no surprise.
Entities like churches and other nfp's are the least likely to have someone on site between the hours of dark-thirty and light-thirty.

Although, it seems pickings are getting slimmer as summer wear on. The most recent one I heard about was way, way earlier than dark thirty.

jsibelius
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Plus...commercial building generally=bigger unit (or more units), more copper. It's really pathetic. These smaller churches don't often have the insurance to cover the loss. The church I went to as a kid was in a rather large building and no doubt required a large commercial HVAC unit. But they didn't even have enough money to get health insurance for the pastor so that when he needed a transplant, the town had to raise the money for the entire operation. Pretty sure they don't have a lot of building insurance either. A similar church in the next town (similar size town and similar size church building) lost their building to a fire. No insurance there either. They had to raise money to build a new building.

Toadrax
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Why doesn't God just stop them?

NE Oasis
08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Why doesn't God just stop them?

Because God allows people to make thier own decisions!

Thunder
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Couldn't Jehovah strike a lightning on them?

NativeOkie
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I believe He noticed.