View Full Version : Oklahoma City to play preseason game in Tulsa

BDP
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
NBA team to play preseason game in Tulsa | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/nba-team-to-play-preseason-game-in-tulsa/article/3280877/?tm=1218229539)

Pete
08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Will be very interesting to see how many turn out for this. Of course, much will depend on the opponent.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-10-2008, 12:26 AM
If They Play The Lakers Ill Go

Laramie
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
My undertanding is that they will replace the Orlando Magic and play the Houston Rockets in the previously scheduled game set for the BOK Center, Monday, October 13.

Source: Tulsa World-- Tulsa World: OKC team to play a game at BOK Center (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080809_226_B1_hNBAhb90871 7)

Source says the preseason game will feature OKC and the Houston Rockets.

Add a new name Kevin Durant to the list of performers who will help launch the BOK Center.

Durant, the NBA's reigning rookie of the year, will be making a tour stop here because Oklahoma City's new NBA team (formerly the Seattle SuperSonics) has reached an agreement to play a preseason game in Tulsa's new arena.

Clay Bennett, chairman of Oklahoma City's NBA team, said during a press conference in Tulsa last week that the team was trying to schedule a preseason game in Tulsa this year.

Bennett is scheduled to return to Tulsa for a 1 p.m. Monday press conference at the BOK Center. The purpose of the press conference is to announce that Bennett's team will participate in a preseason game here. Tulsa mayor Kathy Taylor and BOK Center general manager John Bolton also are scheduled to attend the press conference.

The date of the game and Oklahoma City's opponent were not mentioned in a press conference advisory issued Friday by the team. A source familiar with the details indicated that the game will take place Monday, Oct. 13, and Oklahoma City will face the Houston Rockets. The Rockets were originally scheduled to play the Orlando Magic at the BOK Center on that date, but Oklahoma City's team will take the Magic's place, according to the source.

fuzzytoad
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Am I the only one a little PO'd that the team we're paying extra taxes for is having their inaugural game in Tulsa?

venture
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Yes.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Am I the only one a little PO'd that the team we're paying extra taxes for is having their inaugural game in Tulsa?

It's only one exhibition game. That's like saying that one would be PO'ed that we're paying extra taxes for having half the season on the road. There's the bigger picture to consider.

betts
08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
It's a road game. Half the NBA teams play their first exhibition game as a road game, plus I'm all about getting everyone in the state behind the team. I'm thinking it's a great excuse to pop up to Tulsa and see the new BOK Center as well as our team in action.

Laramie
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Thank you betts:

The Tulsa market will help. Somewhere down the line, say 5-6 years when we build a new arena, we will be looking at the NHL as well.

Laramie
08-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Think about Seattle, that tax revolt attitude is what got us the Sonics in the first place.

It's a give and take society now; we only have to look south at Texas to understand what I'm talking about.

andy157
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Am I the only one a little PO'd that the team we're paying extra taxes for is having their inaugural game in Tulsa?I'm not POed because I couldn't care any less about NBA basketball. Even though all of the die hard NBA fans on this board will say its no big deal, or that its OK, or spinout some other rational for its justification, its still seems to be a little slap in the face. Pre- Season game or not, the first time the team takes the court to play any game in the State of Oklahoma should be at the Ford Center in Downtown OKC. Personaly I find it a bit humorous.

Mr. T in OKC
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm not POed because I couldn't care any less about NBA basketball. Even though all of the die hard NBA fans on this board will say its no big deal, or that its OK, or spinout some other rational for its justification, its still seems to be a little slap in the face. Pre- Season game or not, the first time the team takes the court to play any game in the State of Oklahoma should be at the Ford Center in Downtown OKC. Personaly I find it a bit humorous.

You must be kidding. The Lakers played a preseason game in OKC a few years back. I wonder if anyone in Los Angeles was bitching or thought it was a slap in the face? We're talking about practice here.....practice!:boxing2:

andy157
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
You must be kidding. The Lakers played a preseason game in OKC a few years back. I wonder if anyone in Los Angeles was bitching or thought it was a slap in the face? We're talking about practice here.....practice!:boxing2:Why must I be kidding? The Lakers have been in L.A. now for quite sometime now. Apples and oranges. Like I said you die hards will come up with what ever it takes to justify this. They can play all of their games in Tulsa for all I care.

bigjkt405
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Are we really debating the fact that our team is playing a preseason road game in Tulsa?

For all I care, let them play another exhibition up there. This is our team, something that folks like me have waited on. Those of us who grew up in the video game era have always wanted to see Oklahoma City or Oklahoma on NBA Live or Madden, and now its becoming reality, and people are still bitchin.

Reminds me of a story about a man who couldn't be satisfied. This man had gone to the restaurant every day for a month, and never was satisfied, so the owner decided to make his meal for him for free. The guy ordered 2 eggs, 1 scrambled and 1 over easy. The owner went back and made the breakfast exactly as the man ordered, and still the man found a way to complain..... He said the owner scrambled the wrong egg.......

Thats how I feel about some Oklahoman City folks right now..............

fuzzytoad
08-12-2008, 12:54 PM
no, it a debate about the fact that our OKC team is playing their first game ever as <insert name> in a city other than OKC.

It just seems odd to me that a City that fought so hard for and passed a tax bill just to get a team sits idly by while the Team goes off to play in and benefit another city. Doesn't matter if it's a preseason game or not, it's their first game as the first Oklahoma NBA team.

I wasn't aware of the fact that this whole endeavour was to ensure that Oklahoma City can be in the NBA Live video game. That certainly makes more sense right now, considering all the other current news about the OKC team.

bigjkt405
08-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes we fought and passed a tax bill. Thats one of the reasons ALL 41 home games will be played in the Ford Center. It harms nothing that a preseason game is being played in Tulsa.

Also the team has several preseason games before the Tulsa "road trip", and plays a home preseason game the next day. In the big scheme of things, this is nothing.

soonergolfer
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I love the fact they are playing there. Its a smart move by Clay. Besides if I can save $100 on not having to buy exhibition games as part of a season ticket plan then I am all for it.

John
08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
It is a preseason game -- which is really a glorified practice.

Not a big deal -- AT ALL!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Are we really debating the fact that our team is playing a preseason road game in Tulsa?...

Yup, it seems we are....funny isn't it?

Also by people who don't care, just people who want their opinion known for some reason.

bigjkt405
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Yup, it seems we are....funny isn't it?

Also by people who don't care, just people who want their opinion known for some reason.
I repeat.....

Reminds me of a story about a man who couldn't be satisfied. This man had gone to this restaurant every day for a month, and never was satisfied, so the owner decided to make his meal for him for free. The guy ordered 2 eggs, 1 scrambled and 1 over easy. The owner went back and made the breakfast exactly as the man ordered, and still the man found a way to complain..... He said the owner scrambled the wrong egg.......

Some folks will never be satisfied.....

andy157
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Are we really debating the fact that our team is playing a preseason road game in Tulsa?

For all I care, let them play another exhibition up there. This is our team, something that folks like me have waited on. Those of us who grew up in the video game era have always wanted to see Oklahoma City or Oklahoma on NBA Live or Madden, and now its becoming reality, and people are still bitchin.

Reminds me of a story about a man who couldn't be satisfied. This man had gone to the restaurant every day for a month, and never was satisfied, so the owner decided to make his meal for him for free. The guy ordered 2 eggs, 1 scrambled and 1 over easy. The owner went back and made the breakfast exactly as the man ordered, and still the man found a way to complain..... He said the owner scrambled the wrong egg.......

Thats how I feel about some Oklahoman City folks right now..............Stupid owner.

jbrown84
08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I think the first game ever played as the OKC ______ is going to be in Billings, MT...

andy157
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I think the first game ever played as the OKC ______ is going to be in Billings, MT...There you go.... thinking again.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I think the first game ever played as the OKC ______ is going to be in Billings, MT...

Nice.....(snickers)

jbrown84
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Okay. That was unneccessary. The point being:

The team's first game will NOT be in Tulsa, as has been stated over and over in this thread.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Okay. That was unnecessary...

What was unnecessary? My enjoying your sarcasm, or andy's comments?

Richard at Remax
08-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I'll take the 41 home games that count over one preseason game.

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
What was unnecessary? My enjoying your sarcasm, or andy's comments?

Andy.

Mr. T in OKC
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Andy is obviously not an NBA fan. Otherwise, he would understand that a preseason game is not really a game at all. Its PRACTICE. The fist REAL home game will be in OKC. The first of 41 of them. Sorry Andy, but the Ford Center vote is already over, so there is no sense in trying to convince people to vote no anymore.

Laramie
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
We started out with the Lakers playing exhibition games at the Ford Center annually; maybe, just maybe Tulsa will be getting something later.:congrats:

The Memphis Grizzlies' sale just may be back on E-bay around 2010.:boxing2:

andy157
08-23-2008, 03:57 PM
What was unnecessary? My enjoying your sarcasm, or andy's comments?Oh you enjoyed his sarcasim but not mine. I see how you are.

andy157
08-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Andy is obviously not an NBA fan. Otherwise, he would understand that a preseason game is not really a game at all. Its PRACTICE. The fist REAL home game will be in OKC. The first of 41 of them. Sorry Andy, but the Ford Center vote is already over, so there is no sense in trying to convince people to vote no anymore.How long did it take you to figure that one out? If a pre-season game is not really a game, but only practice, does that also mean that a post-season game is not really a game, but only practice?

Laramie
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Give Tulsa all the OKC home preseason games, I would love to drive up to T-Town; why not a regular season game or two and not more.

andy157
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Give Tulsa all the OKC home preseason games, I would love to drive up to T-Town; why not a regular season game or two and not more.I am with you. In fact I think they should play 20 games here, 20 games in Tulsa, then flip a coin to see which City gets to host the 41st and final regular season game. If you really want to see a bit more of T Town and be fair all at the same time.

kevinpate
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Of course, to be really fair, they could just devide the games up and spread them all over the state. No reason to have OKC and Tulsa alone enjoy the fun, or the participant spending sprees (yes, I'm kidding, so please, no piling on by the OKC folk. the Saturday football crowds are more than enough for me. I have no interest in NBA games, preseason or otherwise, ever being held in Lloyd Noble. Now, if they wanna do some outdoor games and mount a floor in the middle of Owen field, that might get entertaining. yeah, still kidding)

On the other hand, had there been a significant interest in Tulsa landing an NBA team, I have to suspect the area is not lacking in folks with the financial ability to have made it happen. Mybe the reason no Tulsa area ownership group materialized is because secretly, those with the ability to make it so wanted a new excuse to come hang with the OKC peeps :)

Mr. T in OKC
08-27-2008, 12:21 PM
How long did it take you to figure that one out? If a pre-season game is not really a game, but only practice, does that also mean that a post-season game is not really a game, but only practice?

There is a very clear difference, Andy. Post-season and regular season games COUNT. Preseason games do not count at all. Its a scrimmage.

:bright_id

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
There is a very clear difference, Andy. Post-season and regular season games COUNT. Preseason games do not count at all. Its a scrimmage.

:bright_id

Just let it go man....no use in explaining anything....