View Full Version : Nintendo Wii?

BradR
08-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Does anyone here have a Wii? What are your opinions? I'm not a big gamer but it looks fun and my wife wants to try the wii fit program.

Anyone have any input, feel free to let me know!

also if anyone is selling one, let me know as well

masonsmomma
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
The wii is fun depending on what you play. I personally have not played wii fit but heard it's great. Mario kart is great, it provides a great deal of entertainment. I also like super mario galaxy and the wii sports game. It's entertaining, but I really don't play it as much as I did. The PS3 has been getting more attention as of recent.

BradR
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
that's the one thing I was afraid of, it could just be a neat thing at first and get old fast

i don't normally get into lots of games, the only game i've been "addicted" to is World of Warcraft, but the bowling game on Wii sure was fun at circuit city

Jon27
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Wii is a lot of fun for my wife and I! We love the Wii Sports games. Mario Kart is a lot of fun, as previously mentioned. Also, if you and your wife are competitive, get Guitar Hero III with 2 guitars!

BradR
08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
i was thinking rock band because i like drums more than guitars, but we'll see

masonsmomma
08-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd wait until Rock Band 2 later on this year then. It will probably be a better set up for it. Guitar Hero is pretty awesome though, my dad and I love to play it! Aerosmith was a nice change, and they are going to do Metallica next year I think.

Toadrax
08-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Rock band is super fun.

The wii in general is not so fun..the controller is not precise at all. Most games end up with you flailing the controller trying to accomplish some task. Games like super monkey ball play better on the iphone than it on the wii..

Serious gamers pass on the wii, but if you just want something to spend a few min a day with that isn't hard go for it. Random flailing is easy and fun for a bit.

ddavidson8
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Does anyone here have a Wii? What are your opinions? I'm not a big gamer but it looks fun and my wife wants to try the wii fit program.

Anyone have any input, feel free to let me know!

also if anyone is selling one, let me know as well

The Wii novelty will wear off fast. Especially if you aren't a normal gamer. And if you like WoW you will be really bored with the Wii. The bowling game is fun, but even with that, I've probaly played my Wii less than 15 times in almost 2 years.

I read today, at G4 I think, that 60% of the owners of Wii fit don't play it after the initial gaming session.

Anyway, if you have played Wii before, like it and have the money to spare, it's your choice. I admire you and your wife for spending quality time together. But at the risk of sounding like a fan boy, there are a lot of games on the Xbox 360 that you could play with your wife (Scene That) and still have time for more hardcore games (Halo 3).

BradR
08-08-2008, 07:10 AM
If I do get one I'll probably put a modchip in it like my old xbox, that way I can really use it and test everything out without having to buy a bunch of expensive games I won't like

venture
08-08-2008, 09:24 AM
The Wii is fun. I bought one a few months after they came out and it gets quite a bit of use. Granted I don't spend nearly as much time on it as I do WoW, but that is to be expected I guess - for those that play will understand. LOL

sooners83
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I have a Wii and I really don't play it that much. When I have people over that have never played it we turn it on but most of the time I am on my 360. I tried to buy wii fit but I cannot find. Everyone is sold out, just like they were when I tried to buy a Wii.

OKCMallen
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't play it hardly ever. It's more a novelty for people that come over. Rock Band on PS3 gets most of my gaming, with NCAA 2009 second.

BradR
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
those on here that have one and don't play, are you interested in selling?

I agree on the WoW statement, i started it thinking I wouldn't like it, didn't like it the first couple of tries then had a friend walk me through a couple of quests and now i play it a little almost every day

traxx
08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
It really depends on you as a gamer. Sounds like a lot of people on here bought the Wii because it was the flavor of the month.

I've had a playstation and an xbox but I don't know if I'd call myself a hardcore gamer. I liked the Halos and sports games, especially football but when I played it was just usually me by myself. I always considered Nintendo systems to be for small children and was atni-Nintendo. And to an extent it still is but I've found myself even enjoying things like Boom Blox and Mario Cart.

I bought the Wii for the kids this past Christmas. We get a lot of use out of it. Like someone said before, my wife and I play it a lot together. That's been one of the most enjoyable things about it because my wife is just a casual gamer and would never play the xbox with me but she loves playing Wii with me (no innuendos kids, get yer mind out of the gutter, lol). Plus I have 4 kids and they love playing it, even the younger ones who can't really play it like to get in on the action.

We got a gamefly account this summer and have really enjoyed it. During the hot part of the day during summer my wife has the kids come in from playing outside and they play Wii. We'll probably do away with gamefly once school starts back up, but it's been great this summer.

It's also a great party system for when you have company over. It's just something simple and easy that most anyone can pick up and play and you don't have to know a bunch of button combinations to play (I always liked to confound opponents on football because you could use combinations to free up a WR or blitz or call hot routes etc.)

OKCMallen
08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Lots of Warcraft players in here all of a sudden. I uesd to LOVE LOVE playing, but I was spending too much time on it so I killed my account...

venture
08-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Wii was never meant for the hardcore gamers. It is a fairly low cost system, but is meant to serve a much more vast audience than the 360 or PS3. It also really hit at a time where it got people off their butts to play a video game. I'm just waiting for the Wii Star Wars game to come out that will be mostly lightsabre related stuff - not Force Unleashed mind you.

My PS2 was used for NCAA and games like that, but I haven't turned it on for 2 years. So it just depends what you like. It is a niche product, much like 360 and PS3.

Brad...a little each day on WoW? It hasn't totally sucked you in just yet. :)

BradR
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
well...i won't lie and say i haven't had a couple of long Saturdays running around non-stop doing quests and stuff

right now i just do a little here and there and try to sell stuff in the auctionhouse

venture
08-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Heh, not bad. Three days a week...about 5 hours raiding each day. Then the others doing whatever that entertains me. Addicting? Naw. lol

Toadrax
08-09-2008, 01:54 PM
SBlJaPD-CCQ

ddavidson8
08-09-2008, 01:57 PM
How funny. I'm sure that kid has no idea what the dog really is trying to do.

Karried
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I have to agree. The Wii was a novelty.. the kids hardly play it anymore at all but I have to pry their hands off the 360 so I can play Halo 2 Team Swat.. they love, love, love RockBand and Guitar Hero and hubby loves Madden ... we have two 360's and 2 Live accounts but we still all fight over who gets to play! The poor Wii goes unnoticed in the corner.

BradR
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I picked one up last week and have used it a lot. i have the Wii Fit and it's been great so far.

I'm just waiting on my modchip to get here so I can try out a bunch of different games.

ddavidson8
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
That's good to hear Karried. I have to admit I'm a 360 fanboy. In all fairess to myself, I really wanted to like the Wii, but it gathers dust at my house as well.

BradR
08-23-2008, 07:49 AM
I got the game "Order Up" a couple of days ago, as cheesy as it looks it's really fun. My wife played it for over an hour last night and she never plays video games!

Karried
08-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes, that is the great thing about the Wii, it fills a niche for those who really haven't experienced game play before.

I think for those who have played a lot of video games, it's a bit simple but it is fun and a great introduction for people who might never have tried video games at all .. before you know it, your wife will be playing Call of Duty, lol.

In my family, I'm the only female, my philosophy was 'can't beat em, might as well join them and have fun together' so I did and we do. Now I kick their butts..hee,hee.

I'm in serious need of a game.. haven't had time to play lately.

BradR
08-23-2008, 11:55 AM
i'm just playing the zelda game, it's been fun so far.

The only problem I'm having is the remote batteries don't last a long time. I have rechargeables in it and they'll go about 4 hours of use before being in the red.

Toadrax
08-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Only a serious gamer would play for more than 4 hours.

The Wii isn't designed for serious play.

BradR
08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
it's really not that bad, not sure why everyone is dissing it. i like it better than my xbox, that's for sure

maryjstar89
08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I have some of the games, but the game I mostly play is the sports one. The wii was pretty fun for a while. now it's gathering dust.

BradR
08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
i figured out why the remotes weren't lasting long, i turned on wiiconnect24 and now the charger stays on when the Wii is off