View Full Version : REI in Bricktown??

Pages : [1] 2

jstanthrnme
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Now I'm not trying to start a rumor, but I'm just wondering, would OKC support an REI?

I completely love the place. For those who don't know, they are an outdoors store specializing in recreation. Hiking, Biking, Cycling, Paddling, Camping, etc.
REI: Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Fitness, Kayaking, Canoeing and More (http://www.rei.com)
I think the perfect spot would be where the U-Haul building is. Its right by Rocktown, they could have kayaking lessons on the river, the river trail is nearby. It's a much better option than Bass Pro, Backwoods, Sun & Ski Sports, and Academy, for the "outdoorsy" person. Members earn dividends on every penny spent there. I think they could really make a killing on kayaks, canoes, and bikes. I would also suspect that locals would discover true camping gear that doesn't have to be replaced every 2 years like the trash people buy at Wal-Mart and Academy. I know I am in a minority in OKC, being outdoorsy, but is the minority that I'm in big enough to support it?

bornhere
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Where is REI now besides Denver?

I can't imagine they would want to be that close to Bass Pro.

jstanthrnme
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Denver has like 4 or 5. Dallas, St. Louis, Albuquerque, Austin, Houston, all have stores. Here's the full list:
REI: Store Locator (http://www.rei.com/stores/storeloc.html)
As far as Bass Pro, they typically cater to the fisherman/hunter. This store is geared to the rock climber, mountain biker, or in my case, hiker. I don't see them competing really. Besides, isn't that why OKC gave Bass Pro such a sweet deal? to bring in more big time retail? I'm not sugessting they open up a Denver size flagship store, but a smaller store packed with bikes, tents, kayaks, and clothing would go a long way. Their main competition would be Backwoods, Sun & Ski, Academy, or any local bike shop.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I used to live a couple of miles away from an REI in Littleton CO for a while...That joint was pretty f'n sweet.

I don't think we could support it here though. Not enough hippies.

jstanthrnme
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I used to live a couple of miles away from an REI in Littleton CO for a while...That joint was pretty f'n sweet.

I don't think we could support it here though. Not enough hippies.

Norman is only a short drive..

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM
<sweeping generalization>

Norman isn't full of hippies. It's full of college kids and relatively well-off OU alumni.

The first group can't afford REI and the second doesn't go camping without their RV.

</sweeping generalization>

Toadrax
08-06-2008, 06:34 AM
I've met plenty of people that don't bathe in Norman.

OKCMallen
08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
No way, no how can OKC support REI or does REI even think it.

swilki
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't know if I would be so quick to discount REI not being able to survive in OKC. Their prices aren't that bad and besides not only would the metro area support it, it would become a statewide destination point like Bass Pro. Isn't that point of developments like this in Bricktown?

stlokc
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
I live behind REI in St. Louis. It's not a hippie store - at least not the "I don't bathe" type hippie. $1000 bikes, $150 North Face jackets, that type of thing. It is a yuppie store in the Whole Foods mode. As a matter of fact, it is right next door to Whole Foods. It seems to me that if Charlotte can support 3 of these stores, and lots of very small towns in the west can support it, then OKC can support 1. But then again, I have that same impression of lots of retailers that aren't in OKC.

But it's more of a Nichols Hills Plaza, or North Western, type of place than a Bricktown place.

OKCTalker
08-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I live behind REI in St. Louis. It's not a hippie store - at least not the "I don't bathe" type hippie. $1000 bikes, $150 North Face jackets, that type of thing. It is a yuppie store in the Whole Foods mode. As a matter of fact, it is right next door to Whole Foods. It seems to me that if Charlotte can support 3 of these stores, and lots of very small towns in the west can support it, then OKC can support 1. But then again, I have that same impression of lots of retailers that aren't in OKC.

But it's more of a Nichols Hills Plaza, or North Western, type of place than a Bricktown place.

Disagree on locales. I see it in Bricktown/the CBD because it would attract people from across the metro. However, I don't see it in OKC at all because we're not a generally-active populace. Too much fast food, too high an average BMI, etc. But I'd be ecstatic!

stlokc
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
OKCTalker, in principle you are right re: locations. But I just think big, upscale national retailers are more driven by income within a certain number of miles and rooftops. REI does not seem like a "pioneering" type of store to me. If you look at their other locations, they are mainly suburban. I also think they look at who else is nearby.

My prediction is that, if Chesapeake succeeds in the renovation of retail at 63rd & Western, if they are successful in getting one nice national store, like a Crate & Barrel, or a Whole Foods, than they will probably start to attract the "one" location in OKC of other big retailers. REI would rather cluster with other upscale players than be by itself in a touristy district.

In an ideal world, of course, all these "should" cluster in Bricktown, but I just don't see it. Very very few cities have pulled off clusters of big, high-end retailers in their inner cities. And most of those have many times the number of urban dwellers of OKC.

OKCMallen
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
However, I don't see it in OKC at all because we're not a generally-active populace. Too much fast food, too high an average BMI, etc. But I'd be ecstatic!

BINGO!

ultimatesooner
08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I would love for them to come here, it looks like they carry some bike brands that you can't get here

CCOKC
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I have heard them advertising on the Sports Animal lately and was wondering if a store was coming our way. The store in Boise ID is across the street from Target. Not a high income type area just a high volume area.

jbrown84
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Boy there are a lot of sweeping generalizations in this thread.

Everyone in OKC is fat and doesn't exercise. Everyone in Norman is a hippie or poor college student.

We can support REI. I would love it in Bricktown, but I agree it will probably have to go elsewhere. It's a pretty big box though, so there's not a lot of places it could go on Western or at NH Plaza, unless CHK has a major revamp planned.

EvokeCoffee
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
The REI in Nashville, TN is actually in a strip mall in Brentwood - not anything as fancy as the Downtown Denver location. I think Bricktown could handle it - in fact, the buildings there could house a great location for an REI.

I'm in if it is coming!

...be bold

jstanthrnme
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM
However, I don't see it in OKC at all because we're not a generally-active populace. Too much fast food, too high an average BMI, etc. But I'd be ecstatic!

A store like this would slowly change that image. They'd do a lot more for the whole "City on a Diet" campaign than sponsers like T-Bell. We just don't have an option like this that is accessible to the whole metro, or state even. If each family got one thing (a bike, rollerblades, hiking boots, etc..) and used them, we'd be taking a huge step forward from the Oklahoma City we all know.

wsucougz
08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
You sure you want to go supporting a Seattle company like that?

jbrown84
08-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
The REI in Nashville, TN is actually in a strip mall in Brentwood - not anything as fancy as the Downtown Denver location. I think Bricktown could handle it - in fact, the buildings there could house a great location for an REI.

I'm in if it is coming!

...be bold

They moved it to downtown Denver? Or is there more than one?

The one I lived by was in Littleton.

kevinpate
08-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Could REI make it here. I have no doubt. There are a whole passle of folks who do not camp in RVs, nor think TB is the way to thinness, nor possess a BMI that would make Wimpy and Miss Piggy appear slim in comparison.

PLANSIT
08-07-2008, 07:19 AM
They moved it to downtown Denver? Or is there more than one?

The one I lived by was in Littleton.

There are 3 in the Denver metro. The CPV flagship store is something to see.

Could OKC support REI? Probably. Like the consensus, I think they would build up north.

BG918
08-07-2008, 07:37 AM
That would be awesome to see a store like REI in Bricktown. I'd like to see them build a new store that is two stories all brick that occupies a surface lot with their parking needs either in a nearby garage or underground (like at the downtown Denver store). Imagine REI at Oklahoma and Sheridan with a big entrance at the corner and huge windows along the sidewalk, maybe a taller portion that goes up three stories for a rock climbing wall with amazing skyline views. Ah the possibilities!

EvokeCoffee
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
There are 3 in the Denver metro. The CPV flagship store is something to see.

Could OKC support REI? Probably. Like the consensus, I think they would build up north.

Thanks! I did not see that someone had asked me that!

Yes, The place is fantastic - cycling trials outside and climbing wall in - very nice!

Photo from Flickr:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/508006895_94d22de855.jpg

PLANSIT
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
^ Not to mention they are right on the creek, with an outdoor bike testing path, trails, and kayak testing area. They also have a parking GARAGE - underground. Pretty neat place. But then again, this is Oklahoma City, not Denver.

jstanthrnme
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
^ Not to mention they are right on the creek, with an outdoor bike testing path, trails, and kayak testing area. They also have a parking GARAGE - underground. Pretty neat place. But then again, this is Oklahoma City, not Denver.

which is why it would make more sense to build in bricktown, and not on memorial, or western. They'd probably rent bikes and maybe kayaks for the river and its trails.

PLANSIT
08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
That's a possibility, but being as they only have two stores like that (Seattle and Denver, from what I recall), I just don't see the draw here for a store of that caliber. I'm sorry but OKC is not like those two cities when it comes to outdoor activities. All the other REIs I've seen are suburban boxes.

OKCMallen
08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
OKC is more likely to support smaller, narrower retailers like a North Face store.

jbrown84
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I think we are much more likely to get an REI than a North Face Store.

Austin has one downtown, so it's not just limited to Denver and Seattle, and I'm positive that those two aren't the only fancy ones with climbing walls and such.

PLANSIT
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Austin has one downtown, so it's not just limited to Denver and Seattle, and I'm positive that those two aren't the only fancy ones with climbing walls and such.

Yes, those are the only "Flagship (http://www.rei.com/stores/storeloc.html)" stores. A lot of others have climbing walls, rain simulator tanks, etc - never said they didn't, but the Denver and Seattle stores are on another level.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks! I did not see that someone had asked me that!

Yes, The place is fantastic - cycling trials outside and climbing wall in - very nice!

Photo from Flickr:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/508006895_94d22de855.jpg

That's pretty flippin' sweet.

CCOKC
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Seeing that picture reminded me that we have a climbing gym downtown and maybe that would bring in more customers. Combine that with the river and bike paths kind of brings it all together. Maybe it makes more sense than I originally thought.

jstanthrnme
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Seeing that picture reminded me that we have a climbing gym downtown and maybe that would bring in more customers. Combine that with the river and bike paths kind of brings it all together. Maybe it makes more sense than I originally thought.

Exactly. And it doesn't have to be that size at all. Maybe we can talk them into buying TK's I love this Bar & Grill. That'd be a prime spot and an ideal size i think. I am envisioning a parking lot full of F-150's at Bass Pro Shops, and Toyotas and Subaru's in the next lot over.
Here's what the one in Dallas looks like:
http://www.rei.com/pix/stores/storePictures/dallas_pic.jpg
A few tweaks to that, and it would be really attractive in Bricktown, especially along the canal.

bluedogok
08-29-2008, 11:15 PM

The first one here in Austin was at the Gateway Center (183 & Mopac), across 183 from The Arboretum. The downtown location opened in the former Whole Foods location after they moved across 6th Street to their new store/headquarters complex. They are building a third location in Round Rock in the same complex as Ikea. Neither of the existing locations are very big and do not have walls and such, in fact the downtown one is smaller than the north side store. I haven't been by the Round Rock site lately so I am not sure how big it is.

There is a Patagonia store moving in downtown on Congress, something like that could be a nice fit in OKC. I went into one in NYC but I can't remember what area that it was in.

jbrown84
08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Backwoods works fine as a smaller store of this type. We need and REI because it is just way larger and can offer a lot more.

bluedogok
08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
The REI stores here are much larger than Backwoods (the last time that I was there 6 years ago or so), 2-3x bigger. It just isn't as large as those other stores with all of the extras, they tend to be 1.5 to 2x larger than the stores that we have. I agree that an REI is much more likely than a North Face store.

jstanthrnme
08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
The thing about Backwoods, is they only offer a limited selection of premium gear, whereas REI offers a better selection of quality gear. From my experience, the REI brand is more affordable and every bit as good as a brand like North Face.

jungllejane
08-31-2008, 10:23 PM
I used to live in plano and would visit the REI on preston rd during the holiday season and thereafter to shop their fabulous north face selection! Its much better than backwoods or basspro..

OKCMallen
09-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I think REI is a pipedream for now, and I'm not sure why some people think it's more likely than a North Face store or something similar.

bluedogok
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I think The North Face stores are much more "exclusive" as there are none in DFW, Houston, Austin or San Antonio while there are REI stores all over. Kansas City (Country Club Plaza) and Boulder are the closest ones to this part of the country. REI would be much more likely than a "boutique store" like The North Face which has fewer locations.

jbrown84
09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
The only place I have seen a North Face store was on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. That should tell you something.

jstanthrnme
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
OKC Mallen, you might be right.
REI would could do really well here at some point though, but I guess OKC needs to be a little more "outdoorsy" somehow. Maybe the Devon Tower Atrium could be a good location. 5,000 people within a blocks walk 5 days a week will get some attention. I still think Bricktown would be a good location for one.
In the mean time, I would also like to see backwoods really expand. Move to Classen Curve or somewhere in Midtown or inner NW Expwy, and with extra space, offer a much larger selection.

metro
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
OKCMallen, as others have said, NorthFace is much more exclusive than an REI. I think both are pipedreams personally. I'd love to see an REI, but I don't think that would happen for a few years.

CCOKC
09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm more optimistic since I have heard their commercials on the sports animal. I can't remember hearing another commercial for a store we don't have.

keving
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't mean to detract from the REI discussion but isn't the Sun & Ski Sports in Tulsa a lot bigger than the one here in OKC? I remember it being like 2-3 bigger and had large sections devoted to kayaking, bicycling, hiking, etc.

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Northface actually sells items we can use around here. REI sells isome tems that have absolutely no use around here. That alone should make Northface a little more likely.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Well REI sells Northface, so that kind of negates that statement.

The only thing REI has that can't be used locally is skis and snowboards, and last I checked, plenty of Oklahomans head to Colorado or New Mexico in the winter to go skiing.

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM

No it doesn't.

The only thing REI has that can't be used locally is skis and snowboards, and last I checked, plenty of Oklahomans head to Colorado or New Mexico in the winter to go skiing.

"plenty"? You don't buy skis every year, and that's a luxury around here; a way of life up there.

We don't have that many hikers here. We don't have that many rock climbers here. We don't have that many mountain bikers here, and almost nowhere to do it. We don't have many kayakers here. We DO have road cyclists, so there's that, at least.

We DO, however, have plenty of people that wear jackets and coats. Also, the North Face store in the Plaza in KC is actually pretty small; I think our local population would buy enough all-weather gear to keep it open as well as enough ski stuff to make it worth their while. REIs are BIG, thus harder to keep open when you could say that, I dunno, to be conservative, 25-40% of their items literally can't/won't be used around here.

Gawd, get some perspective. I'll be more than willing to bet you we don't get an REI within the next 3-5 years. What a joke. WAAAAAAAAAY more likely to get a big box sports retailer that's currently not in market.

amylynn5656
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
We have the largest Sun and Ski Sports in the nation in Tulsa, and the largest revenue producing one in OKC (at least it was when I worked there a few years ago). Anything from Tulsa can be shipped for free to the OKC store. And you can get basically anything you could get at an REI at a Sun and Ski. In fact, the one in Tulsa (its been a while since I've visited it) has a ski / snowboard learning ramp and an all weather testing device for coats / jackets.

As far as our chances in getting an REI - in general I think the odds are slim to none.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
We don't have that many hikers here. We don't have that many rock climbers here. We don't have that many mountain bikers here, and almost nowhere to do it. We don't have many kayakers here. We DO have road cyclists, so there's that, at least.

Based on what? Did you take a survey?

bluedogok
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
No it doesn't.
Yes they do...if you do a search on The North Face website and show all dealers REI's are listed as well as other stores that sell The North Face products. Their products are not exclusive to their stores. I have seen their products in both REI stores here.
The North Face at REI (http://www.rei.com/brand/The+North+Face)
The North Face A5 at REI (http://www.rei.com/brand/The+North+Face+A5)

"plenty"? You don't buy skis every year, and that's a luxury around here; a way of life up there.
There is a ski shop on North May that has been around forever, they seem to do pretty well with ski equipment as part of their products. I also know a few who do buy some ski equipment every year, so they can spread out the cost over several seasons.

There are many more than you probably think, most head out of OKC to many of the state parks like Roman Nose or the Wichita or Arbuckle mountains. I know many people who go somewhere every weekend to do those particular activities.

We DO, however, have plenty of people that wear jackets and coats. Also, the North Face store in the Plaza in KC is actually pretty small; I think our local population would buy enough all-weather gear to keep it open as well as enough ski stuff to make it worth their while.
You don't need a North Face coat, most people are going to go to Burlington or Wal-Mart (or stores like that) to buy coats. But there are many stores in OKC right now that carry North Face products, they wouldn't open a store just to sell the coats.

REIs are BIG, thus harder to keep open when you could say that, I dunno, to be conservative, 25-40% of their items literally can't/won't be used around here.

Gawd, get some perspective. I'll be more than willing to bet you we don't get an REI within the next 3-5 years. What a joke. WAAAAAAAAAY more likely to get a big box sports retailer that's currently not in market.
You don't have to have local activities to support a store, many people travel to do those activities as previously stated. They aren't going to put a store in Hinton because it is close to Roman Nose, you buy in OKC to take it to Roman Nose or elsewhere.

As I stated previously, the REI stores here are not that big, they are much smaller than an Academy or Sports Authority store. Most REI stores are not the big "Bass Pro Shop" style of store, there are only a handful of those in the country. The majority are probably Circuit City sized.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Backwoods sells North Face as well.

mattjank
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
As I stated previously, the REI stores here are not that big, they are much smaller than an Academy or Sports Authority store. Most REI stores are not the big "Bass Pro Shop" style of store, there are only a handful of those in the country. The majority are probably Circuit City sized.

All of the REI's I've been to outside of Denver, do not carry skis/snowboards. They are pretty well suited for the location. In addition to having gear that is used by the residents, they usually have areas which can be used for clinics and/or meetings for outdoor clubs.

More importantly, there are numerous climbers, mountain bikers and kayakers (whitewater and flatwater) around OKC who would gladly support such a great store with a wide range of price points on products, not just the over-priced, IMHO, North Face gear.

aml
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Just an FYI. I'm not sure if this holds any weight today, but here 'tis.

Last year I attended a conference in LA where some REI execs were speaking. Since my husband and I are huge REI fans, I approached one of their executives and asked if they had any plans to open a store in Oklahoma City. The executive was very polite, but he told me they had briefly considered it, but decided against it because they do consider Bass Pro Shops a competitor (I don't understand why, but they do). Anyway, he said they have an "immediate list, a 5-year list, a 10-year list and a maybe-someday-but-probably-not-list." He said Oklahoma City was currently on the "maybe-someday-but-probably-not-list."

Anyway, that was last year and things are always changing, but just thought I'd share.

bluedogok
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Things do change, Whole Foods had much grander expansion plans a year ago and now they are scaled back and somewhat stalled because of the Wild Oats merger and economy. I still think REI would be a fit, but in the 5-10 range as their expansion isn't as rapid as some others. I would think Dick's Sporting Goods (which also carries The North Face) will be in the OKC market before REI will but probably out near Quail Springs Mall. They have just started two of them here in Austin and should be open sometime next year.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Dick's is already signed on for the Memorial & Western lifestyle center.

jstanthrnme
11-24-2009, 06:32 PM
This thread has been burried for quite a while now....but, with the possibility of a large park and whitewater center downtown, is an REI retail store still a pipe-dream?

betts
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I think the whitewater center could conceivably stimulate some interest in REI type equipment, but I wonder if Backwoods wouldn't be more likely to be a retail store in the area since they're already here and they do sell kayaking equipment.

mugofbeer
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Hate to rain on the parade but truly, REI is like Bass Pro. Its a fun place to go into and look around and maybe buy something unique, but it is extremely expensive compared to other outdoors retailers. For hard-core outdoors folks it is THE place to shop -that is if you're on your way to climb Denali or K2. For normal people, its way on the high end.