View Full Version : Anyone here work at Chesapeake?

OU Adonis
08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I have a phone interview for a position with Chesapeake fairly soon and I was wondering if anyone had any info on their work environment and how they treat their employees.

Insider
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I interviewed with Chesapeake and was offered a job. However, after seeing the 'campus' and speaking to friends that work there, I turned the job down. My friends say that the pay is good, but they do not treat the employees very well. You have no insurance for the first 3 months of employment, get one week vacation after 3 months and a second week after six months (that is it...only two weeks vacation a year), and one week sick time after three months. My friend has worked there for over a year and had to FIGHT to use three days of vacation. You may enjoy working there, but just be aware of the words they use in the interview and talk to as many other people as you can about the work environment. Ask people at school, at Chesapeake, and on here. Create your own opinion and stand behind it.

In my opinion, and it is just that, Devon (and even Sand Ridge) and MUCH better energy companies to work for!

OKCMallen
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
My ex-roommate loves working for them despite not completely loving his day-to-day actual job. They treat employees well; you don't make Fortune's Top 100 Employers to Work For list by being crappy to employees.

sroberts24
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
i would rather work for quest than anybody right now

Insider
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Please do not get me wrong...I am not saying they treat their employees horribly (I wouldn't know, I do not work there). I was telling him about some of the benefits that are rather lacking compared to others in the area (Devon benefits start on day 1 and you get 3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick, and 10-12 paid holidays a year. Plus an alternate work schedule and the medical/dental/vision are cheaper each paycheck and provide better coverage). The main message I was trying to get across was for him to form his own decision based upon what he sees and hears while talking with Chesapeake and visiting the 'campus'.

Richard at Remax
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Any company that has rock/paper/scissors tournaments and badminton tournaments during lunch have to be good to work for.

OKCMallen
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Or free scuba lessons. Or throws gigantic parties at the Myriad with Veuve Cliquot flowing everywhere...

I am sure there are plenty of other better places to work, but that's not the thread topic.

Also, you might want to know, that they have a very inclusive campus, e.g.- they have doctors there full time on campus for employees. Little things like that.

okc_bel_air
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I would love to work for a place that gave 2 weeks of vacation. My current job gives 1 week after your first year. I had to negotiate my job offer just to get 1 week after 6 months.

sgt. pepper
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
get one week vacation after 3 months and a second week after six months (that is it...only two weeks vacation a year),
how many weeks do you want a year after being there only 6 months?? that sounds good to me.

SeinfeldBlock
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Or free scuba lessons. Or throws gigantic parties at the Myriad with Veuve Cliquot flowing everywhere...

I am sure there are plenty of other better places to work, but that's not the thread topic.

Also, you might want to know, that they have a very inclusive campus, e.g.- they have doctors there full time on campus for employees. Little things like that.

For the record, I know nothing about them. What I have heard is that they have a state-of-the-art gym for employees and families to use. That's an awesome benefit.. But I want to know--if they have a doctor there full-time for employees, going home sick isn't going to work there, right? They could just send you to the infirmary for a note?

autoMATTic
08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
"You have no insurance for the first 3 months of employment, get one week vacation after 3 months and a second week after six months (that is it...only two weeks vacation a year), and one week sick time after three months."

That is incredible!!!! Where I work you have to fight for anything. You get hours, not days, of vacation and sick time. My situation is not unique either. Many people I know have it even worse than me.

Insider
08-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I promise I am not trying to start a fight with anyone.

My point was that he sounds like he is fresh out of college. When I was fresh out of college (3 years ago), I settled for a job with very little benefits (weak expensive medical coverage, 1 week vacation after one year and low pay) because I thought I was doing good. After a year, I left and went to a bigger company (600 employees instead of 8) with better benefits. I am now in my dream job with amazing benefits (started here 6 months ago). I was trying to tell him that Chesapeake's benefits, while MUCH better than other companies out there, they are weak and lacking compared to other energy companies in the city. He may want to take that into consideration as he is thinking about getting the job at Chesapeake.

Insider
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Adonis, what type of job are you applying for? Engineer? Geologist? GIS? etc? I know, like ALL energy companies, the engineers and geologists are probably worked harder than other people in the company (this may impact people's views of the job).

OKCMallen
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
For the record, I know nothing about them. What I have heard is that they have a state-of-the-art gym for employees and families to use. That's an awesome benefit.. But I want to know--if they have a doctor there full-time for employees, going home sick isn't going to work there, right? They could just send you to the infirmary for a note?

I don't think you're REQUIRED to use them.

jbrown84
08-05-2008, 12:28 PM
My friends say that the pay is good, but they do not treat the employees very well. You have no insurance for the first 3 months of employment, get one week vacation after 3 months and a second week after six months (that is it...only two weeks vacation a year), and one week sick time after three months.

Wow, if that's considered poor benefits, then I am in the wrong career.

Richard at Remax
08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
The girl I am dating works there and she has been there almost two years, fresh out of college.

She gets two weeks vacation a year, 2 personal days, one birthday day off, and 1.5 sick days per pay period.

I don't think thats bad at all.

sroberts24
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
vacation? whats that? no place i know of gives u one until after 1 year.... and thats only a week, if lucky. i have a lot of friends that work at chesapeake and they all love it

BG918
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I interviewed with Chesapeake and was offered a job. However, after seeing the 'campus' and speaking to friends that work there, I turned the job down. My friends say that the pay is good, but they do not treat the employees very well. You have no insurance for the first 3 months of employment, get one week vacation after 3 months and a second week after six months (that is it...only two weeks vacation a year), and one week sick time after three months. My friend has worked there for over a year and had to FIGHT to use three days of vacation. You may enjoy working there, but just be aware of the words they use in the interview and talk to as many other people as you can about the work environment. Ask people at school, at Chesapeake, and on here. Create your own opinion and stand behind it.

In my opinion, and it is just that, Devon (and even Sand Ridge) and MUCH better energy companies to work for!

ONLY 2 weeks vacation per year?? Where do you think this is, France? :smile:

I get only 1 week, but then I also work in construction where you really can't afford to be gone more than that. And about Chesapeake, a friend works there and loves it. He lives nearby and bikes to work, and frequently uses the health center.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I work at burger King.. I get 10 days after 1 year

FritterGirl
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM

I know a few people who work there, all of whom think the benefits and atmosphere to be great. That being said, they also have to work very, very hard.

One friend is in accounting, and its not unusual for her to have to work 80+ per week during their tax season. Another friend is an executive in their marketing/communications area. She also works long hours. The third friend, who no longer works there, worked for one of the top level execs, but she worked a more standard 40-hour work week, so I would say that how much you work is largely based upon your position, as is typical of any large organization.

Our friend in accounting has a gym membership there. She pays (I believe) $25 per month to belong there, and that membership includes her family, as I recall. They have an incentive program for their employees. You get "paid back" based upon the # of times you work out. She works out there almost every morning before work, taking advantage of their free shower, locker and other facilities. If I recall correctly, she was PAID a bonus at the end of last year of $1,000 for working out and being committed to staying healthy.

In this way, Chesapeake is being pro-active in that they realize that people who are healthy and productive will likely not run up associated insurance costs and keep their health benefit rates lower.

SeinfeldBlock
08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't think you're REQUIRED to use them.

I was partially sarcastic... lol it's a funny thought.

bigjkt405
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Thats not bad benefits. I work for another energy company based in Oklahoma, and alot of the temporary employees are temps for 6 months or so, then become full time employees, and their benefits don't start immediately after becoming full time.

Only after 5 years (in reality almost 5.5) did I move up to 3 weeks vacation???

I know the thread is about Chesapeake, but what about working at Devon? I have applied there, but to no avail so far. I have a degree in Marketing and Economics, have over 5 years experience in a Fortune 500 energy company (3 as a buyer, and 2.5 as a Property Accountant).....

kevinpate
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I know two folks at Chesapeake. Last I crossed paths, both seemed rather happy with how things were going in their lives.

OKCisOK4me
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
The girl I am dating works there and she has been there almost two years, fresh out of college.

She gets two weeks vacation a year, 2 personal days, one birthday day off, and 1.5 sick days per pay period.

I don't think thats bad at all.

Well, darn, I'd hope they'd give you your ONE birthday off a year, lol...

stickboy
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I think you will find that the benefits at any of the energy companies in OKC are fantastic. What I think differs is the corporate culture and work environment. From my own personal experience, I prefer the atmosphere Devon creates as oppossed to Chesapeake, but that is obviously a matter of opinion.

I've interviewed with Chesapeake, so be prepared for a 2-3 hour interview with numerous people and a tour around the campus. I think that will go a long ways toward helping you form your own opinion.

foy0613
08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
She pays (I believe) $25 per month to belong there, and that membership includes her family, as I recall. They have an incentive program for their employees. You get "paid back" based upon the # of times you work out. She works out there almost every morning before work, taking advantage of their free shower, locker and other facilities. If I recall correctly, she was PAID a bonus at the end of last year of $1,000 for working out and being committed to staying healthy.

Now that is smart business. More companies should operate in this way. Love it!

CCOKC
08-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I love this idea too. My husband and I own a small accounting firm in town and have tried to hire a staff accountant for a while now. We can not compete with the big guys because the salaries and benefits they offer a just graduating kid with an accounting degree is more than we can offer by far. I can't say I blame a kid for wanting to go to work there. There are times I would gladly like to go to work for a company like this.

au_k9s
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I imagine it can depend on what department you work in.

I had a 45 minute phone interview; the next day they extended a job offer. Sounded very strange to hire someone without meeting them in person. I turned them down.

metro
08-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Chesapeake is a GREAT employer and asset to this city. As others have said, they offer plenty of incentives that other companies just can't afford to do to compete. They have several healthy restaurants on campus, have sports leagues, first class day care and health facililties, and pay well for college graduates right out of school. They also have great stock options, 401k, etc. Let's just hope they stay on top of the energy boom for a long time to come and keep distributing the wealth among their thousands of employees who help trickle it out through our local economy.

OKCMallen
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Sounded very strange to hire someone without meeting them in person.

It's not completely uncommon...

jbrown84
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
So I guess we can sum it up like this: CHK offers excellent benefits by most standards, but some other wealthy energy companies may offer even better benefits.

soonerguru
08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Our friend in accounting has a gym membership there. She pays (I believe) $25 per month to belong there, and that membership includes her family, as I recall. They have an incentive program for their employees. You get "paid back" based upon the # of times you work out. She works out there almost every morning before work, taking advantage of their free shower, locker and other facilities. If I recall correctly, she was PAID a bonus at the end of last year of $1,000 for working out and being committed to staying healthy.

What kind of social engineering is this? LOL, jk. For real, though, does Chesapeake have any openings for heavy drinking liberals who happen to be slightly overweight and smoke like a haystack? Would that fit in with their "culture?"