View Full Version : Construction to begin on Stiles Park monument

Luke
12-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Honored in Stiles: Construction to begin on Stiles Park monument in early 2005

By Steven E. Wedel

Nearly 40 years ago, a group of local civic leaders were in Houston when they were struck with the idea of creating a world-class health center back home in Oklahoma City.

Those five men will be honored this coming spring with the dedication of an eye catching monument placed in front of the center they helped create.

The men were Harvey P. Everest, E. K. Gaylord, Dean A. McGee, Dr. Don OÕDonoghue and Stanton L. Young.

The facility is the Oklahoma Health Center and the monument will be named ÒFoundersÕ Plaza at Stiles Park.Ó

ÒThis monumental landmark will honor the five ÔfoundersÕ of the Oklahoma Health Center and will celebrate all of the original visionaries for their courage to make a dream come true,Ó said Hershel Lamirand, executive director of the Oklahoma Health Foundation.

The monument will be a monolithic sculpture 100 feet tall and eight feet wide, illuminated from within by a green light. Five crystal tubes representing the five founders will circle the perimeter of the park and five concentric rings, named ÒtransformationÓ will emanate from the sculpture to the parksÕ edge.

Lamirand said he expects to see a groundbreaking for the project soon after the first of next year. It was hoped the entire project could be completed by April 10 and dedicated on May 12, exactly 40 years after the foundersÕ trip to Houston, but James Pickel, executive vice president of Smith and Pickel Construction, said it likely will be later.

ÒWeÕre re-pricing the project,Ó Pickel said. ÒPrior to now, pricing has been based on preliminary plans. Now that plans have been finalized, weÕre getting updated prices. This is a normal step in the process.Ó

Pickel said finding the right sub-contractor for steel fabrication is a concern because this is a complicated project.

ÒGetting delivery dates for steel fabrication may push back the completion date,Ó he said. ÒBecause of that, we donÕt have a completion date set now.Ó

The sculpture and related amenities will cost an estimated $500,000. An organization formed to raise funds for the project collected the needed $600,000. Lamirand said $100,000 of that money will be put into a perpetual maintenance fund to keep the park always looking at its best and to pay for electricity.

The park will feature extensive landscaping, including deciduous trees, shrubs and perennial flowers. Other amenities will include pathways, benches, carved rocks, brick walls and lighting. There also will be information about the five founders of the

Oklahoma Health Center, the 22 committee members, Captain Stiles and project donors.

ÒThis landmark project will signify the gateway to the Oklahoma Health Center, Bricktown and downtown Oklahoma City,Ó Lamirand said.

Stiles Park was named in honor of Captain Daniel Stiles, a lawman of the Oklahoma territory.

It is the oldest park in Oklahoma and is unique due to its circular landscape - a 200-foot circle. The name, FoundersÕ Plaza at Stiles Park, will help retain the history of the park and to continue honoring Captain Stiles, Lamirand said.

The plaza will be dedicated on May 12, 2005, exactly 40 years after the foundersÕ inspirational visit to Houston.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Does this mean that it won't have the beams of light shooting in the air? Is it just gonna glow?

Here's the quote: "The monument will be a monolithic sculpture 100 feet tall and eight feet wide, illuminated from within by a green light. Five crystal tubes representing the five founders will circle the perimeter of the park and five concentric rings, named ÒtransformationÓ will emanate from the sculpture to the parksÕ edge."

In any case, this sounds like it'll be a pretty neat park. Hopefully, the OKC TownCenter will have residents who can make the short walk over I-235 and enjoy the park.

floater
12-22-2004, 11:20 AM
If our interpretation is correct, then it won't be the beam of light similar to the twin beams shining from Lower Manhattan I thought it was going to be.

Patrick
12-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Maybe they'e not wanting to copy off of NY. We copy off of enough other cities around here, so I wouldn't be opposed to some changes. I do kind of question the location though. Stiles Park isn't the best area in the world.
I think Regatta Park would've been a better choice.

HOT ROD
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
But it is good to add new life into an inner city park. Maybe it would spruce up that area and spur development around the park?

Patrick
12-23-2004, 02:28 PM
True! A nice connection between downtown and the Health Sciences Center would be a plus! Right now it's pretty rough!

floater
12-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Maybe they'e not wanting to copy off of NY. We copy off of enough other cities around here, so I wouldn't be opposed to some changes. I do kind of question the location though. Stiles Park isn't the best area in the world.
I think Regatta Park would've been a better choice.

I read in a report or some other forum that those twin beams were on loan, so to speak. OKC was in the midst of doing a beam when 9/11 happened. I guess it was felt NYC needed the inspiration more than we did.