Luke
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=5013

Make way: Segway finds its niche in Oklahoma City

Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004

By Jody Noerdlinger

writers@okcbusiness.com

The Segway HTÑshort for Human TransportÑhas made its way to Oklahoma City.Ê

Since June, DavidÕs Sports Center, one of 60 authorized dealers in the nation, has been selling, on average, six of these devices per month.

The novel devices are now cropping up around the metro. Resembling a pogo stick with wheels, it combines space-age ingenuity with simple, old-fashioned design.Ê

ÒWithin 60 seconds, it feels really natural, like youÕre walking. Once you ride one, itÕs addicting,Ó said Bobby Ecker, co-owner of DavidÕs Sports Center.Ê

The Segway operates using a personÕs natural balancing ability. While standing on the foot-sized platform, riders (anyone from four feet tall to a little over six feet tall) lean forward on the handlebars to move ahead, lean back to reverse, and maintain a straight up position to stop. The vehicle is electric. One of three keys adjusts its speed to six, eight or 12.5 miles per hour, depending on location and need.

Ecker learned about the Segway from a former Sea-Doo executive who left to take a management position with the company. He said executives from places such as Harley Davidson and Rolls Royce also have jumped on the Segway trend.ÊÊÊ

Segways arenÕt just becoming more popular -- theyÕre becoming more affordable.

Three years ago, when Segways first appeared, they cost about $10,000, Ecker said.Ê Today, the price has dropped to $4,500.

Through the end of DecemberÑin an effort to spur Christmas salesÑthe company is running its first retail discount of $1,000, pulling the price down to $3,500.

But, Ecker said, ÒLike anything else in technology, I anticipate the price going down.Ó

He said he believes the uses for the machine will continue to increase.

ÒI think itÕs going to be a big deal in the future in Oklahoma City,Ó Ecker said.

For example, he mentioned the viability of commercial applications in places such as large warehouses and university campuses. Will Rogers World Airport and Tinker Air Force Base already use them.

Guided tours of urban areas and outdoor venues like the zoo are another possibility.Ê For around $50 per hour, customers could rent Segways and see the sites up close and personal, without the strain of walking. Visitors to cities like Seattle and Kansas City will see Segways used for this purpose.

ThereÕs definitely an element of fun, as well as practicality, in these machines.Ê

David Annis, Dan Rotelli, and Tony Lugafet, co-owners of Business Imaging Systems, have purchased one for the 40-plus staff at their Oklahoma City location.Ê The three young business owners also provide a ping-pong table and X-Boxes for employees to enjoy during breaks from work.

ÒWe always wanted one of these,Ó Annis said.Ê ÒItÕs one more addition to our collection of toys.ÓÊ

Annis said he intends to use the Segway as a means to attract attention to the company at upcoming industry events.

Segways come with detachable golf bags, too, for solo travel on the course Ñ even on the fairway, since theyÕre considered adaptable to all-terrain situations. EckerÕs kids took theirs trick or treating on Halloween this year. Doctors even prescribe them for patients who have trouble walking.

But the ultimate 21st century scenario pairs the Segway with the urban worker.Ê

Ecker describes it something like this:Ê Leave your downtown apartment on a Segway, get on the elevator, ride to the ground floor and out the door.Ê Smoothly travel down the sidewalk to your building (at six miles per hour, youÕll arrive slightly quicker than if you walked at a brisk four miles per hour.).Ê Enter your work place, get on the elevator, go up to your office, and park your little vehicle next to your desk.Ê

The Segway is earning attention for its environmental features, as well.

It saves space, taking up no more room than the average-sized human.Ê

ThereÕs virtually Òno maintenance,Ó Ecker said.

And at about 10 cents per battery charge, it gets the equivalent of 450 miles per gallon of gas.Ê Plus, itÕs quiet and emissions-free.Ê

Impressed with these capabilities, Oklahoma passed legislation in 2002 allowing the use of the vehicle (which qualifies as an Òelectric personal assistive mobility deviceÓ) on city sidewalks and in low-speed traffic zones.Ê

Midtowner
12-22-2004, 09:38 AM
I'd prefer that we walk -- many of us need the excercise :D

mranderson
12-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I remember when they announced this product. The "Today Show" or one of the other morningshows called this the "next wonder of the world that would revolutionize the world." Well, THUD!

It is nothing but a scooter. A product I personally find useless and over priced.

I doubt I will ever buy one.

metro
12-22-2004, 01:33 PM
I bet we will in about 20-30 years, but then again, who says we will all still be here then

metro
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
The security also uses them in the Conncourse

Patrick
12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
My only problem with Segway, is it offers just another way for people to cut back on exercise. In this day and age, with health such a concern, I just see Segway as a drawback.

mranderson
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
My only problem with Segway, is it offers just another way for people to cut back on exercise. In this day and age, with health such a concern, I just see Segway as a drawback.

Another thing. I can not figure out how, with two tires, one can keep it balanced.

Patrick
12-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Here's the answer to your question sfrom Segway's website:

"Our team developed a breakthrough technology we termed "dynamic stabilization," which is the essence of the Segway HT. Dynamic stabilization enables the Segway HT to work seamlessly with the body's movements. Gyroscopes and tilt sensors in the unit monitor a rider's center of gravity at about 100 times a second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the Segway HT moves forward. When the rider leans slightly back, the Segway HT moves backward. For more about how the Segway HT functions, please see How It Works."