View Full Version : Anchorage Alaska going to LED for municipal lights

metro
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Anchorage is the latest list of cities going to LED. I wish our leaders would at least consider LED on new or replacement fixtures around the city.

http://www.treehugger.com/led-streetlight-bv-01.jpg

LED Streetlights in Anchorage, Alaska
We told you that LED streetlights were coming. The latest town to get them is Anchorage, Alaska. The municipality, along with Cree, Inc, a maker of LED lights, are planning to change 16,000 municipal roadway lights with high-efficiency LED fixtures (about 1/4 of total streetlights).

Bigger Benefits Up North
Because Anchorage has 85 days a year with less than 8 hours of daylight, any benefit over the tradition lighting architecture are compounded. Read on for technical benefits of LED streetlights.

The mayor of Anchorage said:

We have studied new lighting technology extensively over the past several months to validate energy and maintenance cost savings. We also conducted a lighting conference and public survey in March of this year that showed our residents overwhelmingly approve of the new white LED lighting.
Benefits of LED streetlights
The LED fixtures are expected to use 50% less energy than current streetlights, which could save the city $360,000 per year at the current energy prices. The cost of the project is 2.2 million dollars. "The LED fixtures, based on performance-leading Cree XLamp(r) LEDs, typically last up to seven times longer than high-pressure sodium fixtures, allowing Anchorage to better utilize maintenance resources." And the quality of light should also be better, though people will need to get used to it at first.

http://www.treehugger.com/Anchorage_at_night.jpg
Anchorage at Night

Anchorage, Alaska, to Install 16,000 LED Streetlights. Will Save $360,000 per Year. : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/led-streetlights-anchorage-alaska-16000.php)

CuatrodeMayo
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
16000 lights for 2.2 mil is not bad.

oneforone
08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Anchorage is the latest list of cities going to LED. I wish our leaders would at least consider LED on new or replacement fixtures around the city.

http://www.treehugger.com/led-streetlight-bv-01.jpg

LED Streetlights in Anchorage, Alaska
We told you that LED streetlights were coming. The latest town to get them is Anchorage, Alaska. The municipality, along with Cree, Inc, a maker of LED lights, are planning to change 16,000 municipal roadway lights with high-efficiency LED fixtures (about 1/4 of total streetlights).

Bigger Benefits Up North
Because Anchorage has 85 days a year with less than 8 hours of daylight, any benefit over the tradition lighting architecture are compounded. Read on for technical benefits of LED streetlights.

The mayor of Anchorage said:

We have studied new lighting technology extensively over the past several months to validate energy and maintenance cost savings. We also conducted a lighting conference and public survey in March of this year that showed our residents overwhelmingly approve of the new white LED lighting.
Benefits of LED streetlights
The LED fixtures are expected to use 50% less energy than current streetlights, which could save the city $360,000 per year at the current energy prices. The cost of the project is 2.2 million dollars. "The LED fixtures, based on performance-leading Cree XLamp(r) LEDs, typically last up to seven times longer than high-pressure sodium fixtures, allowing Anchorage to better utilize maintenance resources." And the quality of light should also be better, though people will need to get used to it at first.

http://www.treehugger.com/Anchorage_at_night.jpg
Anchorage at Night

Anchorage, Alaska, to Install 16,000 LED Streetlights. Will Save $360,000 per Year. : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/led-streetlights-anchorage-alaska-16000.php)

Actually, many cities around Oklahoma have switched to LED lights in traffic lights. The LED bulbs can last years instead of months like the old style lamps.

zuluwarrior0760
08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
OG&E is studying LED's very intently.

As to traffic lights, it's a no brainer.........Edmond did it.....
OKC just hasn't yet, but will, the streetlights are a more
gray subject.

None of them are compared lumen for lumen with what they
replace, because LED can't compete with HID
watt per watt, lumen per lumen, so they say "I'm putting this
streetlight here, and yes, you can see to walk, and it puts
out "some percentage" of the light that was here, but it saves
40% energy and never needs replacing, at least not for 8 years....
well there's no fair comparison then if I get half the light for
half the electricity.........but I got to spend hundreds of dollars????

The Anchorage project article states they are replacing 1/4 of the 16,000
streetlights, meaning instead of 130.00 a piece, it is 520.00 ea which
I think is not including the pole they are to go on......

Ultimately, it's going to happen, but it doesn't make sense just yet........
from a payback perspective.......but in a decade or so, you won't see anything
but LEDs lighting our paths.......

Midtowner
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Anchorage is probably doing this with free money procured by Sen. Ted Stevens.

oneforone
08-04-2008, 03:13 AM
OG&E is studying LED's very intently.

As to traffic lights, it's a no brainer.........Edmond did it.....
OKC just hasn't yet, but will, the streetlights are a more
gray subject.

Actually, OKC has them on every new traffic light that has been installed over the last year. I have seen them on NW 150th and Western, NW 150th and Penn, 39th and May in front of Lowe's, Council and NW 104th, Rockwell and NW 101st/Talbot Canyon, Macarthur and Westlake, those are only a few I am sure there is more than that.

OKC is slowly replacing the old lights with LED's as each old style light burns out. Yukon, Moore, Midwest City and I am sure there are few other I have not noticed.

As far as the streetlights are concerned OGE owns the streetlights very few cities own the streetlights. Edmond is one of a few exceptions because the city of Edmond owns Edmond Electric.

I do agree that all lights will probably be converted to LED one day. I bought the LED Christmas lights a couple of years ago. I think they look better then the old school lights. The color is more defined and true.

metro
08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Actually, all lights will probably eventually be converted to OLED's, not just LED's, but LED will be the first step, unless technology allows us to skip the whole LED revolution and go straight to OLED.