View Full Version : Ford Center Powerpoints

Pages : [1] 2

Richard at Remax
07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Oklahoma City council OKs final plans for upgrades at Ford Center | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-oks-final-plans-for-upgrades-at-ford-center/article/3276684/?tm=1217398457)

I urge everyone to check out all three powerpoints located on the right side. Ford Center could easily be a top ten arena after this. I am also glad that they are thinking of different exterior designs for the new SW entrance other than the original rendering we saw a while back.

Saberman
07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
WOW... Some of the exterior designs are great. The redesign may truly become one of the finest facilities in the NBA.

sroberts24
07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
AMAZING!!! i like the last set of renderings for the outside, the one that was in the paper, it just goes more with what everything else looks like.... but i do like the ones before it, looked more like the BOK center tho.....

very exciting!!

Architect2010
07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Its great to see renderings! The Ford Center is definitely going to be a top arena. Its amazing. Those new exterior renderings are much more spectacular than the original design. I like the one that has a really long swooping glass wall. But not the really modern one, I don't like that one.

OKCisOK4me
07-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Can someone take pictures of the slideshow and then post them on here? I don't have PowerPoint and I seem to have lost my OEM Key from 2003, lol.

Luke
07-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Can someone take pictures of the slideshow and then post them on here? I don't have PowerPoint and I seem to have lost my OEM Key from 2003, lol.

I second that.

OKCMallen
07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Going to be incredible. :D

JWil
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow... those images are amazing.

The Ford is gonna be world-class when that is done. And hey, it won't look like duct tape either!

Pete
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks like there are 5 concepts, starting with the original rendering:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior1.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior2.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior3b.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior4.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5.jpg

edcrunk
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
thanks pete! those pics are encouraging. i played at DFEST on saturday and i saw how incredible the BOK center was in person. i'm waaaaay jealous of tulsa's arena.

sgt. pepper
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
the artical said council ok's final plans, but it looks like there are three different renderings. which one is the final choice? i think the guys at skyline ink should do a video of the final project, that would be awsome. speaking of awsome, the bok in tulsa looks beyond awsome! the ford center will never look that good. but the important thing is what's inside!

DelCamino
07-30-2008, 10:45 AM
The article actually said that final plans were approved for Phase 1 of the redo, which includes only the renovation of all the public rest rooms, and a new lower level Irish-style pub.

These renderings for the exterior are just that, rederings and proposals. The final decisions on what the exterior will be have yet to be made.

Kerry
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank goodness I am not the one that has to make the choice. I like them all. Since this will be up against OKC's signature boulevard I think I like the one in photo 3 the best. My least fav is the UFO one. While it looks neat now I see that one as looking very dated in 10 years.

Pete
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I like #3 or #5.

Great to see some bold ideas being brought forth.

OKCisOK4me
07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
You THA MAN Pete! I like #3 the best. If they can do that with the #2/#5 sidewalk then I'm all for it.

CuatrodeMayo
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't like all those new fangled fancy dodads.

Assuming the team name is "Marshalls", how about a version looks like a frontier fort? It could have giant steel tube painted to look like logs in a stockade and big wooden gate and flags and loopholes for shooting fake guns out of. How cool would that be!? Then we could buy out the Ford dealerships and rename it the "Heartland Arena"!

WOW...so cool.

roboticbrad
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like there are 5 concepts, starting with the original rendering:

That last one with the brick barriers on the left side of the entrance. It almost looks like an AT&T commercial. "More bars in more places." lol

sroberts24
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
i'm so excited! everything is starting to come out, the devon tower next month, i-40 is noticably coming together, hampton inn almost done, ford center, nba, AHHHH!!!! haha

CCOKC
07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I like the 5th one too. The 2nd one also has the brick columns and would be fine.

solitude
07-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Here is a free download from Microsoft. It is the Powerpoint Viewer 2007. Free to install and allows you to see, but not edit, Powerpoint presentations:
Download PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&displaylang=en)

betts
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I like #5 the best. #4 is a bit scary. I'm afraid it might look like a giant pile of tires, similar to the Cardinals Stadium in Phoenix.

OKCisOK4me
07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I like #5 the best. #4 is a bit scary. I'm afraid it might look like a giant pile of tires, similar to the Cardinals Stadium in Phoenix.

#4 looks like the end of an escalator!

metro
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I like the last 3, preferably number 3 or 4. Personally I like the futuristic look and think OKC could benefit from some futuristic architecture as we move forward as a city.

Kerry
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I like the last 3, preferably number 3 or 4. Personally I like the futuristic look and think OKC could benefit from some futuristic architecture as we move forward as a city.

That is why I like #3. It has an aerodynamic feel to it with sweeping lines but doesn't look like the Roswell crash site.

Richard at Remax
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I like #3 as well. It would look well swooping along the boulevard. The only problem I have with all of these the lack of blending with old and new. All the new additions are so obvious so I think they should clean that up.

BDP
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I like #3 as well.

But I really like what they're showing for the inside stuff. It will really feel like a new place all around. And I expect I'll be hangin' on the rooftop during half time a lot.

Pete
07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
The existing structure is very simple so as long as they incorporate a little brick and a few of the same design elements, I think the big addition won't look too tacked on.

For example, if the material at the base of #3 is brick, I think that would look really sharp and somewhat unified.

I would like the big atrium/entrance make a statement.

HOT ROD
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
OK, all; Im very excited about this and think any of the renderings would move Ford Center into the top of arenas (especially if it also does something with the North Side).

But here is my ranking:

#1 (pic 5) - I love the glass curtain wall, the HUGE lobby, and the nice use of existing architecture with the rising brick columns and more recent modern architectural highlights with the spendrells. The banner poster at the entrance is AWESOME - does anybody else have that???? TONS and TONS OF WOWOWOWOWOOWW factor!!!!

I also think it follows quite closely with the renderings from the towers of Core2Shore and the new Convention Centre. I also like that it retains and integrates the original Ford Center/Ford Field architectural relationships (as does the next two choices) while at the same time elevates the building in an organic manner.

#2 (pic 2) - I like the use of brick and only chose it second because of the relative lack of glass. Otherwise, this is a great design - I love the even brick columns and the lobby (the largest and most open of all designs). Looks like a GRAND building.
http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior2.jpg

#3 (pic 1) - I like this one as baseline, it is an improvement over the existing and is good enough. I consider pic 3 or pic 5 a dramatic improvement as then encompass more modern architecture and GRAND-NESS tho. The thing I dont like really is the overhang at the entrance, it's blah considering the 'new' competition.
http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior1.jpg

#4 (pic 3) - While I like the swooping architecture, it looks way too close like BOK. And we don't want to get into this 'we stole their architecture' argument crap. It really looks like we 'stole' the SW part of BOK Center and added it to Ford Center. What I also don't like about it is the relative lack of glass curtain wall. Considering the arena will have a significant amount of office space, it really drops this design below par.
http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior3b.jpg

#5 (pic 4) - This takes away from the existing architecture and I see no where office space and all of the other promised elements would be. I think it is very nice, even today, that Ford Center matches the architecture of Ford Field (in Detroit) as sister/brother stadiums. I think we should continue with this theme and not detract away from it. I also don't see a grand-ness of this design, no WOW factor - yet while the 'originality' of the design is quite supurb, but it doesn't counter the negatives.
http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior4.jpg

One thing I think we all can agree - is OKC has really raised the bar on capital improvements with these renderings of the Ford Center; and I hope this continues to be the NORM for OKC and not the exception! :congrats:

dismayed
07-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow, that looks really nice.

Thunder
07-30-2008, 11:48 PM
They all look great. It is hard to choose. There is sure a lot of work to be done and I think they'll probably use a bit of everything presented interiously and exteriously. I am concerned about the massive amount of steel on the outside that could be overcome with rust within a few years. We're already seeing rust on the cement coming from the fences when we exit onto Robinson.

Going by the post that Pete posted in the first page of this thread.

Pix #5 was what I seen on KFOR and I thought that was the final plan and I was amazed by it. Now I'm even more shocked to see there is 4 more possible designs.

Pix #1 is okay and it seem a bit bland with a huge blue box that reminds me of WalMart. Not that I'm aganist WalMart, it just seem too boxed on the outside, altho it may be much roomier on the inside.

Pix #2 looks great, but it seem like too much glass is concerated in that one area. Altho with this design, it seem capable of being expanded easily in the future.

Pix #3 is a bit too bright to analyze. It seems to me that from the outside, the inside is probably limited, not much space as the other designs. I'm gonna pass on this one.

Pix #4 is one hella design, but too much steel is a potential to overcome with rust. It looks like a building of the future, but it just doesn't fit right for OKC.

Pix #5 looks nice, but the cement looks kinky with brown/white stripes and lack of trees, shrubs, and flowers. All that open space is a waste and should be put to potential use for the expansion of the building.

I think pix #1, #2, and #5 is most fitting with improvement to be done. Bricks can be beautiful and it is more fitting, since a nearby location is Bricktown. They need to lessen the space around it and expand the building more bigger and add more scenery.

They also need to look into opening the dome. It wouldn't be that hard to convert it into a state-of-the-art open/close dome.

It would be cool if everything started as the dome being closed and when the game about to start, all the lights is out, the Thunderstruck by AC/DC plays with lightning effects while the dome is opening and bam the players rush out onto the court as fireworks shoot up from the roof as fans in awe and roars. I am positive that this will motivate the fans and the players, then the outcome will be great for OKC having more wins than losses.

HOT ROD
07-31-2008, 02:57 AM
I think you're gonna be disappointed that they won't be playing thunderstruck - but anyways,

I had to comment regarding your comment on Pic 5, the alternating concrete. I think that will be brick and concrete alternating - and if you look closely, it is on all of the 'original' concepts (ie, pics 1,2 and 5). Pics 3 and 4 deviate from the original ford center/ford field theme and do not have the same sidewalk/plaza area.

You also need to keep in mind that the Ford Center is an arena, not a convention centre. So it doesn't necessarily have to take up the entire footprint of the lot to be feasible..

You also should consider that the Ford Center today is 560,000 feet facility, the new will be almost 800,000 - and that would be accomplished in either design rendering. So there will be a 220K+ addition of space (30,000 of it office); I think that is large enough for an arena. (Just for comparison, KeyArena is roughly 380,000 sq feet).

A convention center on the other hand, should always have over 1M sq feet and as mucch as possible of it continuous columnless - which I assume we will hear more about late into next year. :)

bornhere
07-31-2008, 03:14 AM
I think it is very nice, even today, that Ford Center matches the architecture of Ford Field (in Detroit) as sister/brother stadiums.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the Ford Center would probably be renamed.

HOT ROD
07-31-2008, 03:42 AM
I think they are going to rebid the name, but there is a 'preference' of sort being extended to the existing rights holder.

Honestly, I don't think you can get much bigger name recognition than the Ford label. OKC got that without even a major league tenant (something noted by many Seattle posters - as how did OKC get a major company like Ford on their building???).

Now that OKC has a team, it would be stupid and foolish to go with anything less than Ford Motor Company (or at least their brand). Unless we could get Coca Cola or something. (then if so, pic 3 or 4 would probably work - the coke can idea).

but I hope Ford Association/dealers up the antie and keep the Ford label on the Ford Center. It has a very nice ring to it and has great appeal being one of the world's most famous brand labels.

metro
07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
HOTROD, you bring up some good points, but I have to agree and expand upon what bornhere said. Ford Center and Ford Field have nothing in common other than the title sponsor. It's sheer coincidence that they have a few design elements in common. OKC did nothing intentional to model our arena after a football field in Detroit. We built it as a bare bones arena to attract a future NBA or NHL team. That was the goal in mind and to do it cheaply as possible and still meet their guidelines. The local Oklahoman Ford Dealers stepped up to the plate and sponsored it for a bargain. We are going to rebid the naming rights in the near future, so as you know it won't necessarily be the Ford Center, but perhaps Chesapeake Center? It's going to cost whomever wins a lot more money for the naming rights than Ford was used to paying here in OKC.

Back to the point, we did not have much of any design standards set in mind when we built Ford Center, however now that we have progressed, we should have a higher design standard.

Kerry
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
A couple of things about the designs. #2 has just as much glass but because of the viewing angle most of it is blocked out by the columns to the left of the main enterance. Keep that in mind. The amount of visiable glass changes depending on where you stand. On #3 the glass wall extends across the entire south side of the building from the enterance to the practice court. It has more glass than any other option.

The agreement with the Ford dealers allows them to bid first and counter any other offeres. My guess is that Ford will step up and keep the name. However, it might cost them if CHK or MidFirst sets the bar real high.

bornhere
07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Honestly, I don't think you can get much bigger name recognition than the Ford label. OKC got that without even a major league tenant (something noted by many Seattle posters - as how did OKC get a major company like Ford on their building???).

The deal wasn't with Ford. It was with Oklahoma Ford Dealers, as Kerry pointed out.

And the point is to get money, not to bask in the reflected glow of a corporate brand. If the high bidder wants to call it "Hostess Twinkie Center," I imagine that's what it will be called.

Pete
07-31-2008, 12:28 PM
As much as I like what appears to be a banner in #5, I'd love to see a large video screen incorporated that faced out onto the entry plaza and the proposed new downtown boulevard. In addition, the arena plaza would be caddy-corner to the proposed Central Park. And directly north of the proposed new convention center and hotel.

The plaza could effectively become downtown's "town square", as this need has been mentioned in the past.

Could be used to broadcast key sporting events and bring the whole city together in an outdoor setting.

The Prudential Center in NJ has that feature as do a few other arenas, and it's really slick:

http://newjerseydevils.com/njd/prucenter/galleries/3dmodel/prucenter-exterior.jpg

Pete
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
By the way, in the Powerpoint presentation all these exterior concepts were labeled "evolution of design" and shown in the order I originally posted.

I took that to mean that #5 is the concept that they may be moving forward with -- which is fine by me. They also had more renderings of that design than the others.

Here are a few more perspectives:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5b.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5c.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5d.jpg

betts
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
That's great news, as that's my favorite one. I think it will look incredible when it's done.

Thunder
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Pete, look at that pictures you had just posted very closely.

I just drove passed the Ford Center today and I looked very closely. There is NO space for that vast of space showing in front of the arena in those pictures. When they expand the building, it will leave NO space, not even close enough as shown in those pictures. The only time the space will greatly open is when the highway is torn down.

CuatrodeMayo
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Yea....that's the idea

good catch.

metro
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
FYI, they are re-routing the Robinson exit ramp this fall so the can expand the south portion of the arena.

HOT ROD
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't disagree that the naming rights will go for a rebid. I just was saying that Ford will get the first dabs.

Bornhere, who cares if it's OK ford dealers or ford motor company. Either way, it's Ford Center and Ford is one of the top 5 most recognized brands worldwide.

And I totally disagree with your point about picking the name with the most bucks. Remember, the city is not doing it - Clay is. And I don't really think Clay is in this solely for the $$, he's in it for Oklahoma City - which is commendable. That means, he might just decide that it makes sense to go with Ford due to the 'status' it gives Oklahoma City.

Like I said, there were NUMEROUS people up here wondering how Oklahoma City got Ford naming rights without a major tenant. The arena was named Ford Center even before the Hornets came - that gave OKC a HUGE chip in the viability/recognition department because of Ford's brand. Who freaking cares if it is really the OK Ford Dealerships - that is not what the arena is named, it's named Ford Center. Most people aren't going to dive any further than, OH, OKC has the Ford Center - wow, they got Ford to sponsor their arena (like was the case). This is something that I hope Bennett/OKC capitalizes on - becauase NOBODY outside of OKC's region knows what Midfirst Bank or even Chesapeake (or even Devon) is.

You guys don't know about KeyBank either, but everyone knows Ford. Like I said, unless Coca Cola comes to town and as long as the Ford Dealerships make it worthwhile Bennett/OKC should stick with Ford Center - because it sticks.

By the way, I think KeyBank's sponsorship of KeyArena was $15M (for 15 years of the lease to expire in 2010). If the Ford Dealerships offer something similar OKC should take it.

Another point, Vancouver has General Motors Place (GM is a lower brand than Ford, but still a world recognized brand). Although the Grizzlies left a few years ago, do you think Vancouver will opt out with GM? HELL NO! The world knows GM and it helps Vancouver. Vancouver still has the NHL by the way, which plays at GM Place.

HOT ROD
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Kerry, I don't agree with you about the glass. I do agree that pic 2 and pic 5 probably have the same amount of glass.

But I pointed to the design of the mullions and spendrells of pic 5 setting it apart mostly for me because it follows somewhat with the Core-2-Shore towers and the convention centre renderings.

I don't agree with you that pic 3 has the most glass. If you look closely, you'll see that the curtain wall/wrap does not extend to the roof in pic 3, whereas in pic 2 and pic 5 - the glass goes all the way up to the existing roof (which is pretty high).

To me, that is WOW factor, and that much of it is lobby at the entrance in pic 5 - it would be like entering a HUGE grand building - this is why I voted pic 5 as first, then pic 2. I do like the BLUE hue of pic 2's glass and to me it is a close second. But the entrance/lobby area of pic 5 and the design of the glass sets it apart to me.

As for the original Ford Center designs compared to Ford Field, both stadiums were designed and built at the same time, and both opened in 2002. I know the designers were different, but it is interesting that Ford Field has design elements akin to Ford Center. I think OKC should not detract from that - especially considering the branding argument I made.

solitude
07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
The CITY-OWNED arena, the CITY-UPGRADED arena, the CITY should own the naming rights. The fact that PBC gets the money is not corporate welfare? We (taxpayers) build the arena, we (taxpayers) upgrade the arena, we (the taxpayers) don't get the money for naming rights. Yep. That sounds about right. I know, I know, "That's just the way it is." Well, it doesn't make it right.

Tell me this isn't true.

(I just googled this whole issue and some teams own the rights and some cities keep the rights - especially those with large public subsidies.)

Who owns the naming rights to the Ford Center?

I already know about the "practice facility" and that's wrong too. But the arena - that would be typical capitalism run amuk in this case.

Tell me the City of Oklahoma City was brave enough to stand-up for the taxpayers.

bornhere
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
The deal with that was that the City doesn't lose any money on this over what the Ford Dealers were paying, but doesn't make any, either. If PBC can rebid the naming rights and get more, they get to keep the difference.

Since the revenue for the naming rights helps pay for the building's maintenance, it was important that the city not have that income diminished. At least from my point of view.

solitude
07-31-2008, 06:35 PM
The deal with that was that the City doesn't lose any money on this over what the Ford Dealers were paying, but doesn't make any, either. If PBC can rebid the naming rights and get more, they get to keep the difference.
Since the revenue for the naming rights helps pay for the building's maintenance, it was important that the city not have that income diminished. At least from my point of view.

I remember that now. Thanks, Bornhere.

HOT ROD
07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
ya, the city didn't lose anything. It was a great deal for the city actually.

Like I said, I hope Ford/Ford Dealers will step up and keep the name Ford. It will add to Oklahoma City's world/national recognition by having Ford Center Oklahoma City mentioned on the Sports news, vs. Devon Center??? or Chesapeake Center??? or MidFirst Arena....

Ford Center is WAY better! (sounds like it belongs in New York or something, but nope - it's Oklahoma City, which is GREAT!_)

Pete
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Once they relocate the off-ramp, there will be room for a plaza even with the atrium addition.

And as you see by the rendering below, when the current I-40 corridor is converted to a boulevard, they'll be more room still:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordboulevard.jpg

Thunder
08-01-2008, 01:52 AM
FYI, they are re-routing the Robinson exit ramp this fall so the can expand the south portion of the arena.

I know that, metro. I know what I can see with my own eyes. If they start doing this before the highway is torn town, the addition to the building will take it right up to the highway bridge and the new Robinson exit ramp with none of the vast space available as shown in the pix. I dunno when that highway bridge will be torn down. They need to time all of these constructions right. The new I-40 needs to be on the fast track, so they can take the old one down quickly without giving the Ford Center a crowded appearance on that side. Just how much further will the new boulevard be?

To me, they shouldn't even build the new Robinson ramp to save time and money. Get the new I-40 done first, tear down the old I-40, make room, pave new streets, then expand the Ford Center.

BDP
08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I already know about the "practice facility" and that's wrong too. But the arena - that would be typical capitalism run amuk in this case.

I'm not sure it even qualifies as capitalism.

Pete
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Just how much further will the new boulevard be?

Thunder, the new boulevard will be slightly south of where I-40 is now, because it will actually align with 3rd Street, the access road south of the interstate.

So, the proposed plaza could stretch even further south when that happens.

This site plan depicts the proposed expansion with the exit ramp relocated. The area under I-40 is shown as parking. That could be converted to plaza space once the new boulevard goes in along 3rd:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordfloorplan.jpg

BDP
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
That could be converted to plaza space once the new boulevard goes in along 3rd:

I hope so. Surface parking right there would be another colossal waste of downtown real estate.

Thunder
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I hope so. Surface parking right there would be another colossal waste of downtown real estate.

They need to build a parking garage with some levels connecting to the arena.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
They need to build a parking garage with some levels connecting to the arena.

How about a 10 story garage with the first 3 floors being reserved for office space/ retail

DelCamino
08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
In the above rendering, the parking shown on the south side of the arena exists today. It reflect's the parking area in place underneath the Crosstown. I believe that it's currently is closed-off (ODOT) because of the deteriorating condition of the highway and the possibility of debris falling on parked vehicles.

This area is where the new boulevard will be constructed and won't be available for a plaza or any kind of structure.

Pete
08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Once the current I-40 is vacated, there will be no need for 3rd street which has served as an access road. The distance between the northern edge of I-40 and the southern edge of 3rd is well over 200 feet according to Google earth.

A new six-lane boulevard would require less than 100 feet and if the boulevard followed the most southern route of this corridor, the plaza could be expanded about 150 feet to the south once the off-ramp is eliminated as well. And this is depicted in the rendering I posted earlier on this thread.

My point is that the entry plaza has tremendous potential, especially since it will be on the boulevard and across from the proposed central park and conference center. If planned properly, this could be a real focal point of downtown, especially with a huge video screen.

Saberman
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I hope they plan ahead and put 3 lanes of thru traffic on each side, they also need a lane for right turns and bus stops, then a center turn lane. I Imagen they will also have to have a center meridian for trees. They just need to make sure they build this blvd right the first time.

My family owned the old Skelly(Getty) service station next to the old Hilton Hotel at I40 and Meridian, and it seemed like every two years they were tearing it up to make it wider, install turn lanes, and build the center meridian. It must have taken 10 years for them to finally get it to where it is now.

JWil
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
To me, they shouldn't even build the new Robinson ramp to save time and money. Get the new I-40 done first, tear down the old I-40, make room, pave new streets, then expand the Ford Center.

Then that new entrance wouldn't be there until 2013-14 because the new I-40 isn't slated for completion until 2012. I doubt they wait that long to build that SW addition, because that will be where the team offices are built.

Thunder
08-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. I thought the new I-40 is set to complete '09, then thought it was '12. Now, it seem to be '13 - '14. How much further south is the new I-40 from the current one? I drove out to Yukon yesterday and at one point out further west, I saw concrete supports going up over a street near the current highway, so I guess that is for the new I-40. The width looks rather thin, unless it is just one way direction. Are they building the new I-40 both directions together or are the both directions seperated by open space?

On that thought, it would be nice to set up trees and shrubs in the center.