View Full Version : Bricktown Parking fix?

metro
07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Okay, I know a lot of us think the only parking problem is perception, but here's Lackmeyer's new article:

Is Bricktown taking first step to parking fix?
Oklahoman
By Steve Lackmeyer
Main Street

After covering one study after another the past several years, you get a knack for picking out items that are sure to be declared dead on arrival.
Such was the case when out-of-state consultants working on Core-to-Shore suggested that a new college campus be established south of Bricktown to spur residential and commercial development. Nice idea in other towns, but Oklahoma State University already has a branch campus west of downtown and the University of Oklahoma is firmly established with the OU Medical Center.

It was no surprise when Mayor Mick Cornett came back one meeting later and reported that this was probably not a good idea.

Expect a similar response to some portions of the Bricktown parking study being delivered today to the Oklahoma City Council. Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, was adamant in his opposition to raising parking meter fines from $10 to $25.

Likewise, he wasn't too excited about increasing enforcement from 6 to 9 p.m.

Other ideas in the report aren't exactly ground-breaking. A districtwide valet system has been discussed before, and merchants for the past year have tried, somewhat unsuccessfully, to introduce validated parking at lunchtime. They're also not surprised to hear that the lots north of Main Street have poor visibility and identification with visitors.

And yes, they know the way-finding signage isn't getting the job done in educating visitors where they can find ample, affordable parking.

Mayor hopes to return free parking
Really, the new news with Bricktown parking is being generated by Cornett and Bricktown. After covering Bricktown for a dozen years, I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of all (but one) of its parking operators meeting together.
Not only did they do that last week, but they also agreed they have contributed to negative perceptions of the district. They even agreed to cap their rates at $5 on nonevent days and $10 during special events.

Cornett, meanwhile, is serious about exploring a city purchase of the Power Alley garage next to the ballpark and the north Bricktown parking operations. His goal is to reintroduce free parking to Bricktown — or at least free during the daytime and a low rate at night.

Of course, that will take money, and Cornett admits he isn't sure how such a transaction might be funded. But such a move could very well make parking an unprofitable venture for some of the smaller surface lots and could force their owners to seek some sort of development.

Response to parking story sounds familiar
Response to Saturday's story about the parking study was typical of past coverage. Some readers accuse Bricktown operators of price gouging and claim they can never find an open spot. Others say they like to visit the district but are upset when they arrive during a special event and see parking at $15 or $20.
And then there's the chorus from both visitors and parking operators who argue there is no "parking problem” other than the need to better educate the populace about the reality of urban development.

This time around, however, the overall vibe of the various players is different. Maybe, just maybe, things might be about to change.

AFCM
07-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I go to Bricktown a lot and I never have a problem finding adequate parking. My only beef with parking in Bricktown is that we have so much of it right along the canal!

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I always park by the canal for free

sroberts24
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I always park by the canal for free

as do I

Luke
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM
The parking illusion in Bricktown, again?

kevinpate
07-29-2008, 04:55 PM
no shortage of parking in BT, if anything there is way too much of it, ESPECIALLY right along the south canal (sorry, my biggest disappointment and irl on all of BT is that danged surface lot south of Bass

FritterGirl
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
But I don't understand why there can't be FREE curbside parking at all of the restaurants and attractions. Afterall, we have it in Edmond. Paying to park in Bricktown is ridiculous. I'll never go there again!:sofa:

bdhumphreys
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Whether problem or purely perception, this is how I would deal with it.

http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/imagi_parking_map.jpg

No more parking troubles and a way to get a real Downtown transit system off the ground.

I call it, "Bricktown Parking: Killing Two Birds with One Streetcar (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2008/07/bricktown-parking-killing-two-birds-with-one-streetcar/)"

If you want to check out the full post it is on my blog (http://imaginativeamerica.com/)!

metro
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
good idea Blair, cheap and effective. Too bad Mick doesn't have the vision for real public transit.

betts
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I like the every five minutes too. There's no reason we cannot have frequent, reliable mass transit in the area. I suppose the city buying a few parking garages might be cheaper, but it's a short term solution.

soonerliberal
08-02-2008, 09:30 AM
No offense.. why why the hell would we want a streetcar that is literally five blocks long, a maximum of a 10 minute walk?

I have spent the summer in Washington and my walk to the Metro is right at five blocks. My walk to the grocery store is 6 blocks each way. It is not a problem here... and trust me there are PLENTY of fat people here as well. It is all the mindset of the city.

kevinpate
08-02-2008, 11:50 AM
because it gets hot and it rains and our clothes might get dirty?

Nice nights out, I want to park close, or even hand off the vehicle to some red vested grinner angling for a tip and not muss with it. The rest of the time, which is the vast majority for me, it's park free in old DT and walk over to BT, or park at the south canal and meander our way to wherever we are going.

Even though I clearly qualify as one of the folks the OKC mayor wants on a diet, if I lived in OKC, I don't mind the walks. It's part of BT as far as I am concerned.

As a matter of principle, I NEVER park in the spaces right next to the canal. As noted before, it's a disgrace to put parking right there so close. If I could afford it, I'd build a 12 foot or higher wall between the lot and the canal so the lot would not mar the view for the canal folk.

How much nicer the monuments would look if grassland have been left behind them rather than the having the wind come sweeping down the asphalt.

johnnyboyokc
08-10-2008, 01:13 AM
just like atlanta it is great.........

BDP
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
It is all the mindset of the city.

But I don't understand why there can't be FREE curbside parking at all of the restaurants and attractions. Afterall, we have it in Edmond. Paying to park in Bricktown is ridiculous. I'll never go there again!

Well, what are you gonna do? We have two choices: Junk up bricktown with parking and turn it into another Edmond, or fill in all of that ridiculous surface parking with more stuff that people actually want to come and see and give them something that they think is worth paying to park to go to. It clearly already is for the thousands of people that visit every year, but if you grow the parking you are not adding reasons for people to visit, you are only accommodating those that prefer Edmond to downtown because of its free parking, all while severely limiting the amount and scope of the attractions you can add to the area.

BTW, you can park curbside for free in bricktown after 6pm and it costs a lot less than the amount of change you have laying around under your car seat the rest of the day. This is pretty much how I park almost every time I go to bricktown, even on weekends and even on game nights. Otherwise I park curbside for FREE in the CBD. I never pay more than $2 to park anywhere downtown and more often than not, I pay nothing.

jsibelius
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
No offense.. why why the hell would we want a streetcar that is literally five blocks long, a maximum of a 10 minute walk?

I have spent the summer in Washington and my walk to the Metro is right at five blocks. My walk to the grocery store is 6 blocks each way. It is not a problem here... and trust me there are PLENTY of fat people here as well. It is all the mindset of the city.

It's not always about the fat folks. Sometimes, you just have to consider there are some who are truly disabled and need the extra help. Maybe they're in a wheelchair, maybe they have a heart or lung disease that keeps them from being able to walk 10 minutes. Maybe at some point you yourself might strain a muscle in your back or throw out a disc, but you are still able to hobble around a bit. Have a heart...

amaesquire
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I would like to see a parking garage that could handle two-way traffic a bit better than the current one.

I don't know how many times I have feared for my life, or the front end of my car, because some over-served doofus is trying to swerve his way into or out of the parking garage, in a space almost two cars wide.

Not to say I haven't been that doofus once too...

FritterGirl
08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, what are you gonna do? We have two choices: Junk up bricktown with parking and turn it into another Edmond, or fill in all of that ridiculous surface parking with more stuff that people actually want to come and see and give them something that they think is worth paying to park to go to. It clearly already is for the thousands of people that visit every year, but if you grow the parking you are not adding reasons for people to visit, you are only accommodating those that prefer Edmond to downtown because of its free parking, all while severely limiting the amount and scope of the attractions you can add to the area.

BTW, you can park curbside for free in bricktown after 6pm and it costs a lot less than the amount of change you have laying around under your car seat the rest of the day. This is pretty much how I park almost every time I go to bricktown, even on weekends and even on game nights. Otherwise I park curbside for FREE in the CBD. I never pay more than $2 to park anywhere downtown and more often than not, I pay nothing.

Thanks for the edification, BDP. Sorry to have put you to such a bother, but I was TOTALLY joking and being sarcastic in my post, hence the smiley hiding behind the couch.

I was merely espousing one of the multiple complaints that is heard about parking in Bricktown, and that is it is neither a) free, or b) convenient to storefronts - just like they have in Edmond.

I'm surprised no tomatoes were thrown my way for my poor attempt at humour!

amaesquire
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I was merely espousing one of the multiple complaints that is heard about parking in Bricktown, and that is it is neither a) free, or b) convenient to storefronts - just like they have in Edmond.

Are there storefronts in Bricktown? :sofa:

I thought we were still waiting for some sort of retail development by way of the Cotton Exchange or maybe the Candy Factory?

See the sofa, I'm only attempting to be funny.

Seriously, though... Bricktown does not lend itself well to having parking near the storefront. We have streets and a canal. No space for parking by the storefronts.

BDP
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I was TOTALLY joking and being sarcastic in my post

I kind of figured that. I was merely responding to what is an actual complaint about bricktown. I know you were being funny, but I think you know, as well as I do, that many people say that completely without sarcasm.

Sorry, I couldn't find the "I know you're kidding, but let's talk about that" emoticon. ...at least, not one with a couch.

OKCMallen
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
We have a relatively safe core to OKC...people shouldn't be afraid to walk a bit.

jc4455
08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I had an idea about a Rickshaw system that I posted in the thread "What would you do to BT?" that I think would help alleviate the parking problems in Bricktown, but I also had another one that would probably also be suitable for Bricktown and the cosmopolitan atmosphere we're all trying to promote.

What about Segway rental stations dotted around Bricktown and maybe at some of the closer hotels?

soonerliberal
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
It's not always about the fat folks. Sometimes, you just have to consider there are some who are truly disabled and need the extra help. Maybe they're in a wheelchair, maybe they have a heart or lung disease that keeps them from being able to walk 10 minutes. Maybe at some point you yourself might strain a muscle in your back or throw out a disc, but you are still able to hobble around a bit. Have a heart...

I have never been to Bricktown and not been able to find a handicap parking spot. That is what they are for. The vast majority of people complaining about walking a short 10 minutes or less than one half mile to Bricktown are lazy or whiners. Adding a five block trolley system would be a colossal waste of money.

solitude
08-16-2008, 01:13 AM
I think downtown and the urban atmosphere has to be about how to move away from the car culture and parking (sorry, JohnnyBoy - hits your family in the old pocketbook).

I think Kansas City's plans are interesting.

Kansas City Light Rail (http://kansascitylightrail.org/)

Kansas City Regional Transit Alliance (http://www.kctransit.org/)

The KC Power and Light District (http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/)and their KC Live! area is huge. Closed off to cars at a certain time and making it 21 and over after a certain time (11PM?) - one cover for all entertainment spots, alcohol can be carried from one place to the next. It's a surreal atmosphere for the middle of the country, USA. Kansas City's core is undergoing an explosion. I remember when there was little except Westport as an entertainment district. There are districts all over the KC metro now. But the development downtown is something to behold. A lot of lofts and other housing along the riverfront - RiverMarket I think they call it. As a whole - they are light years ahead of us and thinking ahead on transit and urban planning.

I agree with Metro, there's little leadership from the Mayor's office on transit.

johnnyboyokc
08-17-2008, 01:39 AM
sorry me? I am all about light rail and what's good for BT............Light rail would be awsome, like Atlanta......

johnnyboyokc
08-17-2008, 01:41 AM
That would help what we started...........more people coming downtown! That's the goal right solitude..............

darnell
08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
no problems parking? have you tried to go to the theatre thinking that there'd be parking at the theatre? it's utter BS to have all that parking full (tobey's bar parking as well) & have to park near the Bass Pro. i get better parking at quail springs for their theatre & guess what? that's usually where we go. sad thing is family is moving to midtown. guess if we rode bikes downtown it will be no problem. :)

too many parking lots? try not enough carefully located parking spots. no one wants to park half mile southwest or southeast of BT area they want to go. if we can't have expedited trolley services from faraway parking, what is the purpose of those parking lots? the show or event is half over by the time you get there. BT is competing with other areas of metro that don't have these added charges & added time crunches.

kevinpate
08-20-2008, 05:26 AM
> the show or event is half over by the time you get there.

With respect, that has more of an appearance of a planning issue than a parking issue.

> no one wants to park half mile southwest or southeast of BT area they want to go.

Some of us actually don't mind and willingly bypass close in parking. Even though we'll never be confused for the most recent awardee of a fitness medallion, we do enjoy a stroll in BT as part of the overall BT/DT eve.

Some of us are even known to park over north of the Sheridan Hotel when our destination is a bite somewhere along the canal, or southeast of Bass when the primary purpose of the eve is just people watching along the canal, downtown and around.

I'm an odd duck I suppose. You can hardly get me into a mall or a wallyworld big box unless there is fairly close in parking, but for an eve out, well, I guess I just take the out part a tad more literally than some.

BoulderSooner
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
no problems parking? have you tried to go to the theatre thinking that there'd be parking at the theatre? it's utter BS to have all that parking full (tobey's bar parking as well) & have to park near the Bass Pro. i get better parking at quail springs for their theatre & guess what? that's usually where we go. sad thing is family is moving to midtown. guess if we rode bikes downtown it will be no problem. :)

too many parking lots? try not enough carefully located parking spots. no one wants to park half mile southwest or southeast of BT area they want to go. if we can't have expedited trolley services from faraway parking, what is the purpose of those parking lots? the show or event is half over by the time you get there. BT is competing with other areas of metro that don't have these added charges & added time crunches.

nope no problem .. except that there are to many parking lots ..

amaesquire
08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I think the problem is all in your mind. When I go to Bricktown, I expect to 1) probably have to park far away, and/or 2) have to pay to park. I'm not sure it's a problem. I think Bricktown is better off without lots and garages all over the place, they are typically not the most sightly places...

With that said, the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City comes to mind -- there are numerous little lots and garages all over the place, often well-disguised or hidden inside of buildings. Not sure if anything like it is possible with Bricktown.

All in all, for the vast majority of us, we plan ahead. We leave earlier if going to Bricktown, we carry a $5 bill to park, and we wear comfortable shoes.

It's not that bad. For those who want to be there, those "inconveniences" aren't really inconveniences. It's part of going there. For those who really feel inconvenienced by Bricktown, there is no fix to satisfy the masses. It will always be too tall, too far away, cost too much or always be full.

With the exception of the one garage in Bricktown, as I previously mentioned in an earlier post, parking is what it is. If you don't like it, Quail Springs Mall is always there for you.

betts
08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
sorry me? I am all about light rail and what's good for BT............Light rail would be awsome, like Atlanta......

But, until very recently, when gas prices went so high, very few people in Atlanta used light rail. My daughter chose to drive an hour and 45 minutes every day rather than take MARTA. I got her to see the light, but it's not been a huge success in Atlanta. She did say more people are using it now, but their highways are still giant parking lots at rush hour, and really busy most of the rest of the day.

amaesquire
08-22-2008, 04:30 PM
We all know what MARTA means...

jsibelius
08-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I have never been to Bricktown and not been able to find a handicap parking spot. That is what they are for. The vast majority of people complaining about walking a short 10 minutes or less than one half mile to Bricktown are lazy or whiners. Adding a five block trolley system would be a colossal waste of money.

Ya know, there ARE folks who need a handicap permit and are too proud to get one. Usually, it's folks who are starting to get a little up there in the age department, but sometimes it's people who have developed an illness of some sort. And there are also folks who could use that permit but don't quite qualify for it. They can walk the prescribed distance, but not much further.

southernskye
09-29-2008, 02:35 AM
I fail to see what it is exactly that needs fixed. Parking is cheap and plentiful. The problem with Bricktown isn't the parking.