View Full Version : Lets design historic 23rd strip

angel27
07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Since it seems 23rd is the street we most want to see restored, what stores should go in? How to overcome - is it possible to overcome - limited parking? Seems most of the parallel spaces are already taken with only limited shopping available. Parking lots along South side in empty lots? You know the buses run on 23rd every 20 minutes.

I would like to see a sandwich shop. Not so expensive but good. Maybe even part of a deli. I'm thinking of one I loved that used to be near my work on Linwood many years ago - I went there just for their bologna sandwiches and so did many others - all fresh cut. Good sandwiches like ND's but not as expensive or so hugh. Afterall, they are moving further away. How about a local donut or pastry shop - or coffee shop. Then maybe a stylish clothing store mid-range. I'm thinking of a place I shopped in Toronto that had lots of tops and pants - simple & pretty knits a notch above Walmart or Target. A rumage or antique store or two. I would like to see the Liquidation store a real furniture store - oriental?. Of course we need the Tower to be completed. Then maybe an ice cream shop as well... maybe a style shop. Nail shop? Another store I loved in Toronto that I havn't seen elsewhere was a hair-comb shop. I walked in and spent over $100. on combs for my hair - and the guy did my hair with them. Was great fun. I envision a walking destination. I want to go to the movies and coffee or ice-cream and shopping after. Art-supplies store.. another yarn shop? Doug - what shops used to be in there? Any pictures?

Of course I don't have the money or know-how to do any of this.. I just want to shop there. What are your ideas?

mmonroe
07-27-2008, 01:31 AM
I'd like to see a modernish retro shopping center, you know the soda fountain, candy shop, barber, etc... that sounds nice.

Doug Loudenback
07-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Angel27, I may have some, but not many, 23rd Street images here or there ... I've never created such a "group" ... but one of the people who knows much more about 23rd is the Old Downtown Guy ... it's his turf ... and maybe he'll chime in here and teach us a few things about it's history!

Hint to ODTG! ;)

CuatrodeMayo
07-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Yea...I would like the hear more. I am moving to that area and plan on getting involved.

flintysooner
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
In the early 60's when my dad would take me with him to work during the summers we would eat lunch at the Pink Kitchen which was a little diner located on the NW corner of NW 23rd and Broadway.

On the NE corner was the Long-Bell Lumber Company yard which was then owned by International Paper. Later there was a club inside the building called The Greek's. Later still the entire facility which was a block long burned and embers were thrown at least as far as 30th street.

I cannot remember what was on the south side of 23rd at all except for the fire station which was called "five's" then and maybe still is.

West on 23rd on the north side I remember a TG&Y and the Tower Theater. The Tower was remodeled in the early 60's and had the coldest refrigerated air conditioning. It was a really nice theater.

That up town area was quite nice then. I think there was a florist - maybe Ed Reynolds - but I've forgotten.

It's good to see the area being improved and used again.

AFCM
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
This will never happen, but:

I would love to see OCU go D-1 and build a nice, state-of-the-art football stadium. OKC sponsors and government could then lobby for a bowl game, or at least a Big XII title game, which would bring in major bucks to the area. I know some folks would like to see a multi-use stadium near the river in the Core to Shore, and I think that would work nicely as well...but, we're not talking about C2S here.

sroberts24
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
This will never happen, but:

I would love to see OCU go D-1 and build a nice, state-of-the-art football stadium. OKC sponsors and government could then lobby for a bowl game, or at least a Big XII title game, which would bring in major bucks to the area. I know some folks would like to see a multi-use stadium near the river in the Core to Shore, and I think that would work nicely as well...but, we're not talking about C2S here.

i'm sorry but no!

i live right by there and they need to do a lot more on the streets before we could ever even think about that, the traffic isn't good through that area as it is now

AFCM
07-28-2008, 12:02 PM
i'm sorry but no!

i live right by there and they need to do a lot more on the streets before we could ever even think about that, the traffic isn't good through that area as it is now

You're right, a lot more work would need to be done on the streets to avoid traffic issues; I mistakenly presumed developers would anticipate that.

jstanthrnme
07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd like to see a bar/music venue open. I live off of 23rd and classen, and want more nightlife options. I'm sure OCU students would push for that too. An eclectic store similar to Craigs Emporium would be cool to have. As far as restaurants go, Cheevers and Tom & Jerry's are great, but a cafe would be nice to have nearby. I also wish Hemi's would renovate their old spot and re-open there.

Doug Loudenback
07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
When I was much younger, one of my favorite places to eat when visiting Oklahoma City was the Toddle House diner on NW 23rd, south side of the street west of the OCU campus. Vanished Splendor shows the address as 329 NW 23rd, but unless my memory is totally crappy, that address is way off. I'll check it out. But, wherever, it had the best chocolate pie and hash browns EVER!

Here's a generic Toddle House postcard from my blog article ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Toddle House – Chocolate Ice Box Pie & Hash Browns (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/07/toddle-house-chocolate-ice-box-pie.html)

http://www.dougloudenback.com/misc/toddlehouse.jpg

Naturally the Tower Theater is a biggie ... and I still hope that the current owners' previously announced plans eventually bear fruit.

http://static.flickr.com/51/135112955_fb08145597.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/48/135112954_c5d1a4256b.jpg?v=0

And, of course a Beverly's existed on the south side of NW 23rd, slightly west of Classen ... but I don't have a pic of it that I can find.

In related threads, we've already discussed Rainbow records ... http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13500-rainbow-records-mounds-junk-23rd-classen.html ... and the old Sears store at Penn & NW 23rd and the Shepherd Mall origins, including the Shepherd Lake and Golf Course which was OKC's 1st public course, I think ... http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13172-shepherd-mall.html?highlight=shepherd+mall

But, I see that the Old Downtown Guy hasn't chimed in yet. My guess is that he's got a sh ... a lot ... of history to convey on this topic. Yet another Hint to ODTG! :fighting2

Chicken In The Rough
07-30-2008, 06:09 AM
The Tower area is perfect for a cool niche bookstore/gathering spot. If I had the money and time, I'd put in a place that mixed used and new books dealing with art, architecture, science, and sociology. I would also carry a mix of used CDs and DVDs; not those dusty, icky used things. I'd clean them up and provide very nice displays like Barnes and Noble. As part of this store, I'd set up a coffeehouse where patrons could read their selections or just pass the time. At night, this store would show arthouse and independent flicks. During the day, we might provide a small meeting space for local organizations.

I would love to see an area of town devoted entirely to local businesses. No chains, no franchises, etc. Just independent, owner-operated, high-quality shops. 23rd Street seems ideal for this (except for the chains already there).

okcustu
07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
American Apparel would be nice they love neighborhoods like this and its next to a college