View Full Version : NBA Registers Trademark Apps For 6 Possible Nicknames

Richard at Remax
07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
NBA Registers Trademark Apps For 6 Possible Nicknames - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/16987873/detail.html)

NBA Registers Trademark Apps For 6 Possible Nicknames

Applications Filed For Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder, Wind

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Attorneys for the NBA have filed trademark registration applications on behalf of the new Oklahoma City team for six nicknames, KOCO.com has learned.

Those nicknames include the Oklahoma City Barons, Oklahoma City Bison, Oklahoma City Energy, Oklahoma City Marshalls (sic), Oklahoma City Thunder and Oklahoma City Wind. The NBA registered these trademark applications on July 21.

A source close to the ownership group told KOCO sports director Mark Rodgers last week that the team name will be the Oklahoma City Thunder. That information has not changed, Rodgers said on Friday.

Stay tuned to koco.com for further details.

okcfan9805
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd go with Barons or Energy

venture
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Barons is too negative right now, regardless of what some on here want to believe.

Bison - How, umm...High Schoolish.
Energy - Eh, it feels more soccer-like.
Marshalls - I could probably deal with this.
Thunder - Eh, it isn't perfect, but not terrible.
Wind - Pathetic.

solitude
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
At least Channel 5 has the sense to point out with the (sic) that Marshalls (with two 'L's') is not a proper spelling.

Karried
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
God. please, please don't let it be Wind. I can hear the fast break jokes already.

Given what we have to work with, I"m thinking Thunder is sounding better and better.

solitude
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
God. please, please don't let it be Wind. I can hear the fast break jokes already.

Given what we have to work with, I"m thinking Thunder is sounding better and better.

How funny! I just said that in another thread about the fast break jokes! You're so right.

ddavidson8
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, if it's going to end with an "s" that leaves Barons and Marshals (assuming they aren't naming the team after the department store.

This kind of makes me think the name is Thunder.

traxx
07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't love Thunder but I guess I don't hate it either.

Wind is terrible. Think of all the taunts - the Wind blows. Plus I always think of King of the Hill when I hear that because that was the name of Bobby's soccer team.

I like Marshals best but please oh please if they choose that name spell it correctly.

betts
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Wind is worse than horrible. Energy is the name of one of the NBDL teams, so that would be a mistake, I think. The rest would be fine, although I agree that they need to get that spelling right on Marshals.

Thunder
07-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I've been thinking about the Marshals.

Maybe they did not want to have the spelling of Marshals out of respect for the tragedy of the college football team that happened long ago and recently had a movie for it.

To think of it... All of the teams, colleges and pros, should not have any similar spelling of such name out of respect.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM

I actually thought about headlines myself...

"(insert team here) Breaks Wind, 102-95"

solitude
07-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I've been thinking about the Marshals.

Maybe they did not want to have the spelling of Marshals out of respect for the tragedy of the college football team that happened long ago and recently had a movie for it.

To think of it... All of the teams, colleges and pros, should not have any similar spelling of such name out of respect.

Thunder,

Marshals wasn't the nickname for the football team involved in the tragic plane crash that killed the football team. It was the Thundering Herd. The name of the university was Marshall. (Two 'L's as it was named after former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Marshall.)

Thunder
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Thunder,

Marshals wasn't the nickname for the football team involved in the tragic plane crash that killed the football team. It was the Thundering Herd. The name of the university was Marshall. (Two 'L's as it was named after former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Marshall.)

Ahhhh Yeah thats right. I'm a total noob. :doh:

divisionbyzero000
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Barons sounds so good though!!!

au_k9s
08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Someone is banking on 'Thunder'

Oklahoma City Thunder Forum (http://www.okc-thunder.net/).

FR Turbo
08-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah, the admin and his/her 7 members...

Thunder
08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Since that forum is the first to launch for OKC Thunder and it is getting statewide (and national) attention thru here, it would not be long before that forum is filled with members and posts.

FR Turbo
08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
sure...

plmccordj
08-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that it is Thunder? It could not be more obvious after all that has gone on. Even now you can go to the http://www.nba.com/thunder website and you get a blank white page. It is a page with no text on it. You take off thunder and put anything else there other than legitimate team names and you will get the page not found. There is zero doubt in my mind that Thunder is it.

July 10th the NBA registered okcthunderbasketball.com and Mark Rodgers spoiled the surprise on July 18th. The NBA needed to get that element of surprise back so they registered the other domains on July 21st, three days after Mark Rodgers released his story in an attempt to make everyone believe the decision had not been made. You can look up everyone of those domains on Whois and find that is exactly what happened. At this point, if anyone doubts that it is Thunder, you should check it out yourself. This is easily verified.

Not to mention the blunder the NBA made when they came out with the schedule. You can still see the screen shot here... How NOT to Keep a Secret at The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2008/08/06/how-not-to-keep-a-secret/)

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Since that forum is the first to launch for OKC Thunder and it is getting statewide (and national) attention thru here, it would not be long before that forum is filled with members and posts.

It was you, wasn't it?

Thunder
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
It was you, wasn't it?

A chitty forum like that? Hell no! I spice up my forums with nice skins, graphics, and all the works.

jstanthrnme
08-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I suspect it'll be official the day after the olympics.

MrZ
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow, someone put some serious time and effort into that forum. Not.

venture
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, nothing like loading one of the free forums on a website. The person is definitely doing what they can to hide who they are...granted I think we can figure it out.

Registrant:
c/o OKC-THUNDER.NET
P.O. Box 821650
Vancouver, WA 98682
US

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT
Domain Name: OKC-THUNDER.NET
Created on: 20-JUL-08
Expires on: 20-JUL-09
Last Updated on: 20-JUL-08

Administrative Contact:
HZ8kGc@privacypost.com
c/o OKC-THUNDER.NET
P.O. Box 821650
Vancouver, WA 98682
US
+1.360-449-5933

Thunder
08-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Looks like they paid for private registration, which hides their true identity.

It could be someone in Governor Henry's family. lol