metro
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Made in Oklahoma: Lit Clothing

•Address: 200 S Oklahoma.
•Employees: Four.

•Principles: Owner Angela Thomas.

•Founded: 2003.

•Product: Clothing.

•Background: Don't confuse Lit with Lit Clothing.

One is a popular bar in Bricktown, and the name is pronounced as the current tense of "light.” The other is a clothing store just opened in Lower Bricktown and is pronounced as the past tense of light, as in "lit.”

Get it?

Both have been around several years, with clothing store owner Angela Thomas having gotten her start in south Oklahoma City.

"I actually trademarked the name,” Thomas said. "But it doesn't bother me at all — we just have people who can't pronounce the long ‘i' — or others who call here saying they lost their credit cards while out having a drink.”

Thomas said she built her shop with an offering of men's and women's clothing that appeals to a variety of demographics, from college age on up.

After being open three years, Thomas moved to Deep Deuce, where she spent another three years serving the growing downtown neighborhood before being approached by Lower Bricktown developer Randy Hogan.

At first she was reluctant to move. But she liked the idea of being next to Starbucks, and she looks forward to future new tenants including a sushi restaurant and a lounge being opened by her best friend. The building has 30 upscale condominiums and plenty of free parking.

And having the NBA arrive this fall at the nearby Ford Center isn't bad either, she said.

"We love the building and all the things going on here,” Thomas said. "We like being centrally located. They've done a great job developing Lower Bricktown and we wanted to join in.”

Business Writer Steve Lackmeyer

http://static.newsok.biz/article/20080723/3273614/mio.jpg_07-23-2008_FA8BG39.jpg
Angela Thomas, center, owner of Lit Clothing, stands in the store with employees Ashley Cable and David Guthrie. by steve lackmeyer, the oklahoman

KTB
07-03-2009, 03:38 PM
out of business

okyeah
07-05-2009, 06:15 AM
wow...wonder what's going in in its place? probably another restaurant in the Centennial. wonder how Firefly clothing is doing

dmoor82
07-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Is that Ashley Cable,of Cable volkswagon? She's been on afew tv commercials i think!

OKC4me
07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I went in there once, the men's jeans I liked were like $450! I was mad at myself for spending $135 on jeans at the buckle!

fromdust
07-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I went in there once, the men's jeans I liked were like $450! I was mad at myself for spending $135 on jeans at the buckle!

yup, was there just a couple of weekends ago and thought to myself after i saw the price of those jeans that this place wouldnt last. next up....envy.

metro
07-06-2009, 07:56 AM
fromdust, why are you so surprised? Lit Clothing has been in OKC for years and was supported just fine. Firefly and Envy have just as high prices on many things. There is a market for this stuff, it's just a limited niche segment of the population.

fromdust
07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
wasnt surprised, it was just a matter of time before it closed. same with the other stores.
dont get me wrong, while those stores may not be the places i would want to shop, it sucks to see them go.
youre right that its a limited niche, maybe too limited. or maybe they are located in the wrong areas. maybe they should be located somewhere like nichols hills?

metro
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Why does everyone think everything pricey has to be in Nichols Hills? There is probably more wealth in Downtown OKC than any other area of town (if you include the workforce). Not to mention, many tourists and conventioners that come to town have that kind of money to spend. They don't go to Nichols Hills. Gaillardia is every bit or more pricey than Nichols Hills and as our southside friends will point out, there is a Southside zipcode that has the highest wealth density in the state. I don't think it was because of location.

circuitboard
07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
LIT was bringing in brands from LA that they got at huge discounts at fashion sales. Mostly new designer brands wanting to make it big. They would bring them back to OKC and charge Neiman and Nordstrom prices on brands that are not worth it. That is why they failed. There is a market here for high end apparel. But it will be urban outfitters, Nordstrom’s or neimans that will bring it to OKC and actually give OKC the brands that matter at the price they should be. Until then, I shop in Dallas. I give them my zip code every time; hopefully they will get the hint.

BDP
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think it was because of location.

I do, but not because of the pricing issue. The problem is trying to get retail started when there are, what, 2 doors of retail down there and no more space left for more? That's not going to work, especially not with higher end boutiques. Retail, especially high margin retail, needs traffic and traffic is generated by density. If there were, say, 10 niche stores within walking distance, then the area would become a shopping destination. As it is now, it's very easy to forget there's any retail there.

It just wasn't developed for retail or for any kind of comprehensive mix for that matter and, sadly, there's no longer much room to improve it, unless the site is redeveloped with an eye towards greater shopping density.

jbrown84
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Well said as always, BDP.

okclee
07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
On a somewhat related topic, I read today that Vogue Magazine will start running ads for discount merchandise and apparel. This will be a first for the magazine. They say that due to the economy people are bargain shopping more now than ever.

Sorry I don't have a link, I believe I heard it on financial news radio network.

USG '60
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I just heard today that Lit's replacemant has been finalized but they didn't say what it would be, who is behind it or who would be doing the work. Does anyone know any more than that?

mecarr
07-22-2009, 04:01 PM
They should put a more affordable clothing store in there. I was in LIT a while back and some regualr men's t-shirts were like $90. Just crazy. I'm not saying we can't have a place that serves expensive things, but at least be reasonable and offer some alternatives.

Watson410
07-23-2009, 07:28 AM
I agree!! Their prices were a lil' high. They did have really nice (casual) clothes, jeans and t-shirts. Downtown definitely needs some upper class retail in the area, but more store like FireFly would be alright too. FireFly has very reasonable prices on most stuff that i've looked at.. Hopefully it's another clothing store going in Lit's old space.

GQofOklahoma
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
My personal opinion from someone that is involved with downtown and frequents it, and owns a mens clothing business, is that DT OKC is not ready for a full service, large mens clothing store for the next three to 5 years. But when that time comes to fruition, you can bet our business will be downtown. But for now, everybody can make that 6 minute drive to NW 23rd and I-44 to check us out. And also you guys can add us on twitter @gqokc.

metro
07-23-2009, 08:28 AM
GQ, you do know Downtown already has had a full service mens store for 2 decades?

Teena Hicks Company - Home (http://www.teenahickscompany.com/)

Midtowner
07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Teena Hicks isn't large.

Also, I can vouch for GQ. Great owners, great store.

metro
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but they're not too small either, not much smaller than GQ are they? nd Teena definitely has a higher price point and probably average sale. Even so, they've proven for 2 decades upscale mens clothing can work downtown if executed right. I don't think Pinpoint Resource ever located downtown after announcing it last year or so did they?

KTB
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Pinpoint Resource lost their lease at North Penn Plaza and is moving to 50 Penn Place next month.

Flyfish23
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
USG'60, I don't know where you get your information, but Lit's replacement isn't anywhere close to being finalized. They are talking with a couple of possible food concepts, but they are in very early stages.

USG '60
07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
My informant claims that it is a done deal and that work will begin in a few weeks. I sure wouldn't bet my soul on him but I could see no reason for him to fib to me, either. I guess we will all find out together. The reason I asked was that little bit of doubt.

GQofOklahoma
07-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, but they're not too small either, not much smaller than GQ are they? nd Teena definitely has a higher price point and probably average sale. Even so, they've proven for 2 decades upscale mens clothing can work downtown if executed right. I don't think Pinpoint Resource ever located downtown after announcing it last year or so did they?

Well, At our new location we're pushing over 7000 sq ft and over 3000 suits, 10% of those suits are high end. We now cater to every category except the super high end. What I see with a full scale mens clothing store is a department store concept that hits ALL the pricepoints and can dress people from all walks of life, except with great service and lower prices. That's what can be had in 2-3 years downtown.

Teena Hicks is a legend in Oklahoma Menswear. But definately upscale only.