View Full Version : does anyone take the bus??

oklahomajewel
07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
I was/am considering taking the Metro Transit to and from work, since work is 20 miles one way. Yes, time is money... right now I have more time than (gas) money.

I haven't actually taken the route yet... just considering it. The transit station downtown looks well organized and clean. I found the maps online easy , there is a stop right near my work parking lot.

Yes, I've considered carpooling with someone but not found anyone yet, and that has it's own problems too . A bus might be more reliable in a way than another person.

Do any of you take the bus? either short trips or cross town to work?

I saw on their website www gometro dot org that they are doing some revamping but it's not due till 2030! Gawd, that seems so far away !!! haha

Julie

kevinpate
07-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Julie,

I've done several one way bus trips into OKC from Norman. If the return routes were a better time fit, I'd rarely ever drive into OKC for work. I don't know much on other point A to point B travels but the scheudles are all on the website as pdf files so figuring out where to be when, provided routes mesh with your schedule, won't be difficult.

I've met some nice folks on my trips

Luke
07-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I would like to be able to take the bus. From my house to my work it is 8 miles or so. But that's 2 hours in bus time. No thanks.

bombermwc
07-23-2008, 10:53 AM
No because it's always late, has crappy routes, and you end up taking 4 times as long to get anywhere.

OKCMallen
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I am only 5 miles from work and a 10 minute drive, so I am pretty cool on taking my car.

autoMATTic
07-23-2008, 11:38 AM
No, absolutely not. If there were covered stops and clean buses I would consider it.

I would take a train. It is smoother, faster and more appealing.

Grant
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd take light rail in a heartbeat.

City bus? Thanks, but no thanks.

julieriggs
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I looked into it. I would have to catch a ride from Mercy Hospital on Memorial. Knowing the gas mileage of my car, I determined it would save me about $15 a week on gas but cost me about 3 hours of time. Not worth it for me! And that isn't even counting the cost of the bus tickets/pass. Gas is going to have to be a lot higher before that would be a good choice from where I live.

I also looked into running E-85 ethanol in my flex fuel vehicle, but gas would have to be over $4.50 with E-85 remaining under $3 before I broke even. It is worthwhile to spend the time figuring your personal gas mileage...

plmccordj
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
The bus does not go where I need to go so I do not. I have complained about this before. You cannot even get a bus ride to Tinker AFB and that is shameful. When you cannot get a bus ride to the largest single site employer in the state, there is something wrong. We just need to suck it up and pay what it takes to get the infrastructure in place and make sure that every major artery in the metro has consistent coverage until 10:00 at least and then people will ride it. I hear people complain that no one rides the bus here but they always forget that if you do not live on the North west side of the city, you are likely to get stranded.

JWil
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
The bus? In OKC? Heck no.

Bus transit sucks. Gimme a park/ride light rail and we'd be cookin.