View Full Version : Top 4 choices, how would you vote?

HOT ROD
07-22-2008, 12:24 PM
OK everyone.

Pretend you are Clay Bennett and have the top 4 names to chose from. Also, realize that the NAME HAS NOT BEEN DECIDED, despite what Channel 5 and NewsOK want you to believe.

It isn't decided until Clay Bennett has a press-conference!

So, I've narrowed the list to his top 4 choices - based on this, what do you think we should be called? For those who think something else, please vote on the 4 choices anyways - based on their own merit; then you could write-in your explanation.

Oklahoma City Barons
Oklahoma City Outlaws
Oklahoma City Thunder
Oklahoma City Thundercats

Saberman
07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't thing Thundercats was ever in the running, thank god. We don't need to be compared to a cartoon.

I voted Barons, because it rolls off the tongue. Hopefully we can associate it with something other then oil barons.

HOT ROD
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Saber, I heard/saw that it was one of the top 4 choices - that's the ONLY reason why I included it.

I do agree with your sentiments.

betts
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Top choices I was told by a source probably no better (but maybe no worse) than Mark Rogers: Thunder, Barons, Wind (gag me), Forty-sixers

There's one other I cannot remember, but I don't think it was Outlaws.

JWil
07-22-2008, 12:46 PM
All you people dissing on Thunder would be praying for that name if we end up as the OKLAHOMA CITY WIND.

HOT ROD
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
betts, that may be - but I went by what the DoK said (I dont know why). ...

BFizzy
07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't vote for any of those. I hope the people deciding the name are much more creative than any of us.

metro
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I vote for none of the above. As someone pointed out Thundercats was never in the running, it was a media prank, quit running with it. Let's put some realistic names up there. We know the NBA won't allow Outlaws or Barons for obvious image conscious reasons. Let's put some names up there that stand a chance, Thunder is possibly one of them.

NativeOkie
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Metro is correct.
There is only one choice on this list. Thunder.
NBA will not go for Outlaws, or Barons, TCats is a cartoon.

jstanthrnme
07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
While I think Thunder has been my favorite team name suggestion, I think the debate should remain open.

Therefore, I'm going to let you guys in on a name that would pay homage to our states favorite son, and produce fear in ANY opponent.

Oklahoma City Chuck Norris

You know he refers to his beard and moustache as Thunder and Lightning, don't you?

BFizzy
07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Metro is correct.
There is only one choice on this list. Thunder.
NBA will not go for Outlaws, or Barons, TCats is a cartoon.

That's why it's a bad list.

solitude
07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
At this point they could be named the Players or the Puppy Dogs and I would be happy. I'm just ready for this silliness to end. If some people brought half the passion as they've shown on what to name a basketball team, to issues that really matter, we'd make some progress on a lot of fronts.

Richard at Remax
07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
maybe they purposely leaked Thunder so they could get some feedback on what to do next

chuckdiesel
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Vipers or Copperheads

dalelakin
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
At this point they could be named the Players or the Puppy Dogs and I would be happy. I'm just ready for this silliness to end. If some people brought half the passion as they've shown on what to name a basketball team, to issues that really matter, we'd make some progress on a lot of fronts.

*golf clap*

Thunder
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Clay is suggesting Storms. He wanted a name that ends with 's' and this one relates to Thunder and Lightning. Say it with your voice, which sounds better, OKC Storms or OKC Thunder? Which have more options to do in marketing? Storms starting to sound a bit weird. lol

jbrown84
07-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Where on earth did you get these "top 4", Hotrod?

ddavidson8
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I am concerned that the fans in Guymon and Boise City won't feel like they are part of our team. Therefore, I suggest all names are tossed out and we change the name to the Oklahoma Pandhandlers. That's great image for us. A statewide team! On top of that we are one of the only states in the union to actually have a panhandle, besides Texas and Florida that is.

solitude
07-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I wonder if Clay is suggesting Storms. He wanted a name that ends with 's' and this one relates to Thunder and Lightning. Say it with your voice, which sounds better, OKC Storms or OKC Thunder? Which have more options to do in marketing? Storms starting to sound a bit weird. lol

However, consider this: OKC Storms = OK Sea Storms

BorisYeltsin
07-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I would go with Thunderbolts.......and shorten it to just bolts

Thunder
07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
However, consider this: OKC Storms = OK Sea Storms

Sea Storms?

That is a bit close to SEAttle.

Karried
07-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm holding out for OKC Vipers.... but I'm pretty convinced we'll be OKC Thunder

I'll absolutely die if we get OKC Wind.. omg.. I can hear it now.

solitude
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Sea Storms?

That is a bit close to SEAttle.

No, I wasn't suggesting that. I think you missed my point. You're idea of OKC STORMS also says: OK SEA STORMS. (OK 'sea' for 'C').

OKCisOK4me
07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
No, I wasn't suggesting that. I think you missed my point. You're idea of OKC STORMS also says: OK SEA STORMS. (OK 'sea' for 'C').

Y e a h ... not gonna happen.

Now, what do all these team names have in common?

Cleveland Cavaliers
Los Angeles Lakers
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
San Antonio Spurs
Washington Wizards

Okay, granted they're not the best names. Once again, probably sounded a little retarded to half of those city residents when they came up with their respective names but notice the "catch-i-ness" of a team name that begins with the same letter (or sound) as the host city?! That's why I believe Outlaws would be good. What's so wrong with outlaws as opposed to mavericks?! I think the NBA can look past that.

Heck if no one likes Outlaws, maybe we can be the Oklahoma City O'Faces

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/OkStateBBall78/300.jpg

Thunder
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Oh, okay, gotcha.

Chicken In The Rough
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I know they'll choose the name that will sell the most merchandise and which lends itself best to a logo and trademark. But, we must also be mindful of all the perversions of the name that will be used... OKC Blunder, OKC Wind (a perversion in itself), etc.

Platemaker
07-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I think HotRod is signing up with a new name and voting for Barons everytime somone votes for Thunder....hmmmmm

HOT ROD
07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
naah, lol. Im not stacking Barons.

I really want the Thunderbolts (which could be shortened to Bolts) - as somebody else has said too. I do think, however, of the 4 choices that Barons is the best (but Im not stackin' the vote). :)

As to where I got the 4, I could sware that I had read the DoK and it reported these were the top 4 under consideration by Clay Bennett. I could be wrong (after all I am 2000 miles away) - but my main point was that Thunder is not a done deal, so what do WE want it to be that has a realistic chance of 'stickin'.

HOT ROD
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Who voted for Thundercats?????

lol.

anyways - as of today, Barons and Thunder are tied 22 votes. Outlaws is a distant 3rd (which is surprising).

Thunder
07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering how Barons is getting that much votes.

plmccordj
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Those that think that Thunder is not very creative must not have heard of Magic, Knickerbockers, Lakers, or Clippers. I think it is every bit as much OKC as anything else. Thunderstorms are part of who we are and it is short sided to think that it is so negative that people will not want to come here. What about the Miami Hurricanes? How about the Suns? How creative is that? Phoenix has sunshine and 4,000 degrees on a daily basis. That is just as negative as Thunder if you are inclined to think so insecurely. If we had not heard of the Suns before and they announced their name was going to be Suns, we would be hearing the same non creative comments. I love the name Thunder and I hope it is true.

HOT ROD
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
my only problem with Thunder is that we already have 2 teams in OKC's catchment market; and a team based in OKC plays one of those teams.

Like the professor from OCU said, you want to differentiate yourself at least in your own region - since you will be depending upon support from said region.

I mean, Tulsa has the Thunder (and they're OKC's 2ndary market) and Wichita has the Thunder (and they're OKC's 3rd largest local market) - and OKC Blazers play Wichita's Thunder.

Come on now, if that isn't a reason not to pick Thunder - you have blinders on. (otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with Thunder).

You MUST consider your market - we need Wichita. We need Tulsa. Maybe not so much on daily attendance to the games, but we need them for Market Size/Penetration - which is important to profitability.

Barons, on the other hand - there's no local team and the only team to have it is minor league baseball, not a major league team. So, no problems there. No problems for Outlaws either.

JWil
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
my only problem with Thunder is that we already have 2 teams in OKC's catchment market; and a team based in OKC plays one of those teams.

Like the professor from OCU said, you want to differentiate yourself at least in your own region - since you will be depending upon support from said region.

I mean, Tulsa has the Thunder (and they're OKC's 2ndary market) and Wichita has the Thunder (and they're OKC's 3rd largest local market) - and OKC Blazers play Wichita's Thunder.

Come on now, if that isn't a reason not to pick Thunder - you have blinders on. (otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with Thunder).

You MUST consider your market - we need Wichita. We need Tulsa. Maybe not so much on daily attendance to the games, but we need them for Market Size/Penetration - which is important to profitability.

Barons, on the other hand - there's no local team and the only team to have it is minor league baseball, not a major league team. So, no problems there. No problems for Outlaws either.

I wouldn't let minor-league sports dictate what the name of the OKC NBA team is. Who cares if the Blazers play the Wichita Thunder? There used to be TWO St. Louis Cardinals and TWO New York Giants. Big deal.

I LOVE the Thunder name and I bet it is it. Better deal! :)

Grant
07-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I'm wondering how Barons is getting that much votes.

It's getting the most votes because Barons is the best name. Followed by Guardians.

HOT ROD
07-24-2008, 02:50 AM
How about ThunderBarons.

angel27
07-24-2008, 06:14 AM
I immediately liked Thunder when I heard it, and really like AC/DC Thunder as a song. Slight problem that it doesn't end in s; I'm sort of liking Outlaws more, especially considering that it goes so well with OKC. Problem there is everyone says NBA won't go for it. Or that it reinforces accusations we "stole" the team from Seattle. Well, it was up for sale.. Clay has paid big bucks for it.. and is putting great effort in making it successful, and ours. But I don't see anything wrong with if everyone wants to say we stole it then we can just be the outlaws! I think we're going to be happy with it no matter.

Thunder
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
As I said in another thread, I was leaning toward Guardians, because it has multiple meanings, features, and all that stuff. Guardians can be backed by thunder, lightning, and clouds. With that, it shows the fierce team with one goal to accomplish...to win. The Bison is a good mascot for the team. Plus, the Guardians sound good in a way how the Oklahomans is looking out for each other, like in event of castratrophic severe weather, the Oklahomans get together and pour it all out for the people in need.

Now, could a friend of Clay Bennet have him to read this post? lol

HOT ROD
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
'Now, could a friend of Clay Bennett have him read this THREAD? lol"

I know. ...

:gossip:

Thunder
07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I just want the guy to be aware of Guardians and the potential of it.

JWil
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Guardians? Pass!

Might as well call us the OKC EMTs.

Thunder
07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
OKC Agendas

Sally Kern submitted that name! lmao

BDP
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Barons, on the other hand - there's no local team and the only team to have it is minor league baseball, not a major league team.

That won't work. If we're going to be the Barons, we need to rob it from someone else.

BDP
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
OKC Agendas

Sally Kern submitted that name! lmao

With logo designed by Brent Reinhart.

Thunder
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
BDP, if that ever happens, we could lose a few players (homosexuals), if any.

okcfan9805
07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Per OKNews I like Barons or Energy.