View Full Version : Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

Pages : [1] 2 3

AFCM
07-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm trying to think of some movies that are either based or shot in Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, I can come up with:

Oklahoma! (of course)
Far and Away
The Outsiders
Keys to Tulsa
Twister
UHF
Thelma and Louise (I think)
Saving Grace (tv series)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I searched IMDB and came up with a bunch of movies with Oklahoma in the title. I didn't count those, however (not off the top of my head).

Pete
07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Rainman had some key scenes in Guthrie.

Also, the skyline of OKC was featured in Defending Your Life, as the fictional town, Judgment City:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/defending.jpg

AFCM
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks.

Karried
07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
There was one title I was happy to see missing:

American Meth - The Documentary. whew!

Borat ( a deleted scene )

AFCM
07-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Which one? I'll have to look for that.

drumsncode
07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
How about "The Fun Park", directed by Rick Walker with a lot of our local stars, including a brief appearance by Amy McRee. I haven't bought it yet, but I'd like to see it.

FFLady
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
What about Where the Red Fern Grows???

Pete
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Wasn't the Turning Point also set in OK?

Also, the made for TV movie Surviving (1985) was not only set but shot largely in OKC. Molly Ringwald and Zach Galligan were the stars. Also had Paul Sorvino, Ellen Burstyn and River Phoenix. There were several scenes that showed Lake Hefner, the Waterford, etc.

foy0613
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess I am thinking more about Indie films but Brad Beasley has done a couple of Documentaries in Oklahoma that I can think of: Fearless Freaks, about the Flaming Lips and Okie Noodling.

Wayne Coyne did a movie with Brad Beasley, also, called Christmas on Mars. Can't say that I have actually seen this one but one of my friends worked on the movie.

Also, there is a Native American filmmaker, Sterlin Harjo, who has done several independent films/shorts in Oklahoma. His last film, Four Sheets, went to Sundance.

Elizabethtown
Phenomenon (not my favorite) :)

jstanthrnme
07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I had a friend working for Graymark Productions, a local company, a few years back. Two small budget films called "Fingerprints" and "The Hunt" were two films made in this state. I believe "The Hunt" was filmed near Guthrie.

Let me also add Bradley Beasley's films to this topic. His work with the Flaming Lips, and the Okie Noodling movies need to be recognized.

jstanthrnme
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Also the John Wayne film "True Grit" was based in Oklahoma. However, if you watch it, you'll know it wasn't shot here.

SoonerBV
07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
There was a movie in the late 80s or early 90s called My heroes have always been cowboys, and I think it was in Guthrie. The Hero was the bad guy from Urban Cowboy.

CCOKC
07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Whre the Heart Is was a 2000 movie based on a Billie Letts (an Oklahoman) novel
with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd. It takes place in Sequoyah (fictional ?) Oklahoma.

TeriOKC
07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm trying to think of some movies that are either based or shot in Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, I can come up with:

Oklahoma! (of course)
Far and Away
The Outsiders
Keys to Tulsa
Twister
UHF
Thelma and Louise (I think)
Saving Grace (tv series)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I searched IMDB and came up with a bunch of movies with Oklahoma in the title. I didn't count those, however (not off the top of my head).
Of course, there was the old standby - The Grapes of Wrath" - not really based in Oklahoma but I believe the term "Okies" was coined by Steinbeck, wasn't it?''

I still dream of writing a novel about my mother and father's families, who hailed from Kiowa County, OK. After I write it, perhaps someone will make IT into a movie. "Red Dirt Rhapsody" anyone? :-)

solitude
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
'Surveillance' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473398/) with Armand Assante was filmed entirely on location in Oklahoma City. Penn Square Mall was the mall where the security head is a little, well, crazy.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I had a friend working for Graymark Productions, a local company, a few years back. Two small budget films called "Fingerprints" and "The Hunt" were two films made in this state. I believe "The Hunt" was filmed near Guthrie.

Let me also add Bradley Beasley's films to this topic. His work with the Flaming Lips, and the Okie Noodling movies need to be recognized.

Yup...I was in The Hunt. That was a fun time. I even got paid the big bucks!

Ginkasa
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I know somebody who worked on The Hunt.

Marko
07-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Fast Charlie the Moonbeam Rider....Guthrie filled in for San Francisco in the ending of this movie. Watched it being filmed myself! (1979)

Fast Charlie... the Moonbeam Rider (1979) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079137/)

redland
07-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Besides "The Outsiders," there were "Tex" and "Rumble Fish," all based on novels by Tulsa author A.J. Hinton, and they were filmed entirely in Tulsa.
"The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" was not filmed in Oklahoma but took place in Shawnee, with several references to Oklahoma City.
There was a Susan Hayward movie "Tulsa" about the early oil boom days. There were at least some location shots in Tulsa, with a stunning skyllne shot at the end.
The movie "Rain Man" included some scenes shot in rural Oklahoma and some really good shots of Guthrie.

actionman
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Found this too...

Top 10 Movies Filmed in the State of Oklahoma (http://okc.about.com/od/factsandinformation/tp/moviesfilmedok.htm)

securityinfo
The John Milius version of Dillinger with an amazing list of stars was filmed almost entirely in and around Ardmore and Lake Murray in 1972-73. I was present for most of the filming, and have wonderful memories. The movie wasn't great, but the guy with the best line was Harry Dean Stanton as Homer Van Meter, "Go****mit! Things ain't workin' out for me today!"
Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman, Michelle Phillips, Geoffrey Lewis, Richard Dreyfuss, and Steve Kanaly were just some of the folks in the movie.

actionman
Found this too:

Top 10 Movies Filmed in the State of Oklahoma (http://okc.about.com/od/factsandinformation/tp/moviesfilmedok.htm)

ddavidson8
07-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Besides "The Outsiders," there were "Tex" and "Rumble Fish," all based on novels by Tulsa author A.J. Hinton, and they were filmed entirely in Tulsa.
"The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" was not filmed in Oklahoma but took place in Shawnee, with several references to Oklahoma City.
There was a Susan Hayward movie "Tulsa" about the early oil boom days. There were at least some location shots in Tulsa, with a stunning skyllne shot at the end.
The movie "Rain Man" included some scenes shot in rural Oklahoma and some really good shots of Guthrie.

I think Rumble Fish was filmed in Minnesota.

Swake2
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
It's SE Hinton and all three of her movies were shot in Tulsa.

flintysooner
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
"The Sons of Katie Elder" was based on the Marlow brothers.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't know about full movies, but I know there's a couple of scenes in "Elizabethtown" where you see the Survival Tree and the Round Barn.

Dave Cook
03-22-2009, 03:06 AM
I watched 'Two Lane Blacktop' (1971) on TCM last night and noticed some of Oklahoma in that one. Classic flick with James Taylor, Warren Oates and Dennis Wilson.

The town of Boswell, Oklahoma played a role in their adventures across America.

TaoMaas
03-22-2009, 03:28 AM
What about Where the Red Fern Grows???

From what I understand, there's a cabin that was used in that movie that's still standing along the Illinois River. It's a recreation of that cabin that's on top of the big aquarium inside Bass Pro.

UnclePete
03-22-2009, 05:41 AM
We can't forget the Western epic "Rock Island Trail" starring Forrest Tucker. The outdoor train scenes were filmed on the old Rock Island Railroad branch that ran from Haileyville to Ardmore, OK. Most of the filming took place near Bache, OK. I have found two release dates: January 1, 1950 and May 1, 1950.

kevinpate
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Orlando Bloom was in something that did some filming in OKC not so long ago.

Matt
03-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Orlando Bloom was in something that did some filming in OKC not so long ago.

That would be Elizabethtown (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368709/).

Jesseda
03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
a year or 2 ago wasnt guthrie being used for a 1920s era horror or thriller movie, i remember they closed streets off and covered certain streets with dirt? anyone know what the name was they where filming

OKCisOK4me
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
How about "The Fun Park", directed by Rick Walker with a lot of our local stars, including a brief appearance by Amy McRee. I haven't bought it yet, but I'd like to see it.

Also, don't forget his first big epic film "Sam & Janet". All of it, except for the scenes with Gary Busey (because he wanted more money than they were willing to pay him for having to come to Oklahoma to shoot scenes) was filmed in and around the OKC metro area.

Mr. T in OKC
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
"Suspect Zero" (2004) Partially took place in OKC. I believe there are some shots of near downtown in the movie.

MadMonk
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Rainman had some key scenes in Guthrie.

They also filmed at The Big 8 motel in El Reno. There was a neon sign they hung up that read "Amarillo's Finest". The last time I went by there it was still hanging there. The owner played as the desk clerk when the they were checking in.

jbrown84
04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
A few others not mentioned:

Splinter was a big indie horror hit last year, shot in OKC entirely
Bug, directed by William Friedken (the Exorcist) and starring Ashley Judd was set here but not shot here
Return to Sender (2004) is a legal thriller shot in McAlester and Tulsa
The Doe Boy, a Native American coming of age tale
Eye of God, directed by Tim Blake Nelson
The Frighteners, directed by Peter Jackson
Hidalgo, starring Viggo Mortensen (the closing scene)
No Burgers for Bigfoot, an indie called the best unseen film of 2008 by Film Threat
A Simple Wish, starring Martin Short
Transformers (Tinker AFB apparently...)
Unsolved, an indie slasher shot mostly at OCU
both versions of Where the Red Fern Grows

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/List?endings=on&&locations=Oklahoma,+USA&&heading=18%3Bwith+locations+including%3BOklahoma,+ USA&&skip=200)

I actually know the city official who had to put up with him in that scene.

a year or 2 ago wasnt guthrie being used for a 1920s era horror or thriller movie, i remember they closed streets off and covered certain streets with dirt? anyone know what the name was they where filming

Yes. I don't remember the name of it, and don't remember hearing about it being released. A lot of these small films never even get a video release.

Dave Cook
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Caught parts of 'In The Army Now' (1994) on late night TV a few nights ago with Pauly Shore and Andy Dick.

Shot partly at Fort Sill in Lawton. Easy to identify.

nik4411
04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Cool stuff. What was the deleted scene of Borat?

jbrown84
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
YouTube - Borat at the Oklahoma City Traffic Commission (1 of 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzEXtWZaSQ&feature=PlayList&p=D96F3D46E9281ACA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11)

HSC-Sooner
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
That's hilarious, 10 minutes of silence?!

Broncho
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Although the movie was not filmed in Oklahoma, award-winning Silkwood (1983) is based on true events that occurred in Crescent, OK. The work has been reviewed favorably by professional and amateur film critics alike, generally receiving about 70% approval from raters.

Additionally, the History Channel produced a documentary, illustrating the events that unfolded in Crescent. The work is Contaminated: The Karen Silkwood Story (2006).

BBatesokc
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Years ago (1990's) when Twister was being filmed in Guthrie I was an extra in a direct to video movie about the Barker Gang, also being filmed in Guthrie. At the time it was being called 'The Bloody Barkers' but was released as 'Public Enemies.' It starred Alyssa Milano, Theresa (sp) Russell and Chip (forget the last name). I got to be in several scenes and in a big gun battle near the end. One day while filming, all us extras got called over to the Twister set. But, unfortunately our scene got cut. I can see myself in 3 scenes in Public Enemies. It was a lot of fun and Alyssa and the others were extremely friendly to everybody. I have a pic with her somewhere. It was a terrible movie but a great time.

Jim Kyle
12-08-2010, 10:15 PM
The movie "State Fair" included a couple of major scenes filmed at the OKC fairgrounds speedway, although the Texas state fair provided most of the location shots. All of the auto racing scenes were shot in OKC however...

And several Roy Rogers movies were shot on Roy Turner's ranch down in Murray County. In fact, Roy and Dale's wedding took place there.

RadioOKC
12-08-2010, 10:37 PM

I think you may be thinking of "The Killer Inside Me". They we're shooting in Guthrie and Downtown OKC. They actually ended up using the 1st National Bank building downtown as a train depot in Austin. I have some pretty cool pics from the shoot downtown but was unable to upload them here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2LUsfeMwg

bandnerd
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes, Fingerprints was filmed in the old Harding High School building, Heritage Hills, and Guthrie. Some of my students were extras!

Bigrayok
12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Graymark made a movie in Oklahoma City a few years ago with Armand Assante that was a thriller called Surveilance. I saw them film a scene at Penn Square Mall. I have never seen anything about the movie since then. Has anyone seen it? Is it in any of the local video stores? I never read anything about it after it was released except the ad on IMDB.
Bigray in Ok

gen70
12-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Graymark made a movie in Oklahoma City a few years ago with Armand Assante that was a thriller called Surveilance. I saw them film a scene at Penn Square Mall. I have never seen anything about the movie since then. Has anyone seen it? Is it in any of the local video stores? I never read anything about it after it was released except the ad on IMDB.
Bigray in Ok
I started watching "Surveilance" on a movie channel but could not get thru the whole movie because it was so bad, (IMO)

ddavidson8
12-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Surveilance is available on Netflix. Not horrible, but not very good.

TaoMaas
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Graymark made a movie in Oklahoma City a few years ago with Armand Assante that was a thriller called Surveilance.

I think they filmed some of it downtown because I got off work a little late one evening and was taking a few pics of the buildings before heading home. Two guys were walking towards me who looked kinda familiar. When they saw that I had a camera, they stopped walking for a minute until they realized that I wasn't really interested in them. When they got closer, I recognized Armand Assante.

okcpulse
12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I think Rumble Fish was filmed in Minnesota.

No. Rumble Fish was filmed in Tulsa. You are thinking of 'That Was Then, This Is Now'. Interesting movie, and supposedly a sequel to The Outsiders.

Wambo36
12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
The movie "8 Seconds" was based on the life of Lane Frost, a world champon bull rider from southeastern Oklahoma. A decent flick even if, like myself, your not especially into rodeo.

okcpulse
12-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Speaking of cowboy movies... My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys. Filmed in Edmond and Guthrie in 1991 (the Edmond shot being a pan and zoom of the main character exiting I-35 in Edmond to drive to his house in the country), the Laze E Arena, and the Gaylords' house.

Bigrayok
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
The Outsiders, Rumblefish, and Tex were S.E. Hinton novels and the movies were filmed in the Tulsa area. One of the things I liked about these movies was they did not speak in exagerated "southern accents" that a lot of movies portraying Oklahomans do. Matt Dillon, who is one of my favorite actors, portrayed Tex really well without sounding like a stereotype of a backwoods southerner.

Silkwood was a good movie but I hated the accents of the characters in the movie. I know Meryl Streep is known for accents and she may have portrayed Karen Silkwood's accent properly, but Karen Silkwood was originally from the Nederland/Beaumont, Texas area. People get the impression that Oklahoma Cityans talk like her from the movie.

I once heard Billy Bob Thornton, who is from Northwest Arkansas, say that he has never heard southerners talk like some of the characters he has seen in movies about the south. I am not sure I totally agree with him, but I see his point in some cases. Southern accents are different in various parts of the south and southwest. Even in Oklahoma you can hear a difference in accents from southeastern Oklahoma and western Oklahoma.

Bigray in Ok

ultimatesooner
12-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Leaves of Grass just came out on DVD in October - great flick about SE OK pot growers with Edward Norton playing 2 of the main characters

BBatesokc
12-24-2010, 06:09 PM
We were going through Hulu+ trying to find something to watch and naturally the title "Killer Condom!" caught my attention.

This German horror comedy, subtitled in English, is set in NYC but the opening scene makes several references to Oklahoma. Apparently a college girl from Farmville, Oklahoma is forced to have sex with her professor to get a passing grade. As the title insinuates, the condom he uses, ummmm removes part of his anatomy. The best part was the stereotypes they used when casting the parents of the girl from Oklahoma. Then there's always this classic Oklahoma reference in the movie..... (NSFW) http://yfrog.com/h7wx6lj

XtraStout
01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I might be mistaken but wasn't True Grit supposed to be filmed in OK but the tax incentives were not large enough?

Bunty
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Meanwhile, to look to the future of movie making in Oklahoma, a pair of amateur movie makers will soon be making a movie called "Left of Center" in and around Stillwater about mysterious deaths along highway 177. Details at: http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x1733409347/Movie-to-be-made-in-Stillwater

Bigrayok
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I noticed True Grit was shot in Texas and New Mexico. Both states have numerous movies made every year due to terrain and tax incentives. Even Toby Keith made his "Beer for My Men, Whiskey for My Horses" movie in New Mexico although it was supposed to be set primarily in Mangum, Oklahoma.

Bigray in Ok

jbrown84
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Leaves of Grass just came out on DVD in October - great flick about SE OK pot growers with Edward Norton playing 2 of the main characters

I was very aggravated that OK native Tim Blake Nelson (writer-director) did not shoot Leaves of Grass in Oklahoma, despite having shot other movies here in the past.

And that did NOT look like eastern Oklahoma in True Grit. I know the Coens have shot a lot in Texas, so that's probably why they shot it around Austin. I have a feeling they've never seen the Winding Stair Mountains, because they are not arid mesas. Not even close.

Bigrayok
01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
The mountains are why I stayed around at the end of True Grit to watch the credits to see where it was filmed. I was not surprised when I saw New Mexico and Texas. I have a feeling the mountains in the movie are from New Mexico. In the John Wayne version of True Grit there are snow capped mountains in the background that are definitley not in Oklahoma. You can see snow capped mountains in the background in Oklahoma which is supposed to take place in Claremore.

Bigray in Ok