View Full Version : What exactly is a noob?

AFCM
07-22-2008, 10:24 AM
This is the site on which I most often post. However, I occasionally post on Sooner-related fan sites under the moniker, "AimForCenterMass". While I've been registered on those sites for several years, most dating back to around 2002, I have less than 100 posts. I often alienate myself because of my opinions, which tend to differ among the elite 100,000 Posts Club, and I don't refer to the team as "I, us" or "we".

So, as a result of different opinions and my ability separate college sports and real life, I'm often referred to as a "noob". I'll point out that I've been a registered member for over five to six years. Apparently, this doesn't matter. The members who proudly boast tens of thousands of posts, most of which consist of a simple emoticon, are quick to point out the widening gap of forum participation.

I don't get this. I often don't join in discussions because the topics are ultimately too juvenile. They most often involve "smack-talk" about Texas, Oklahoma State, or another team, and I just don't see the reason to hate another school. I also don't live in a fantasy world in which my team's success dictates my personal accomplishments; hence, I don't argue "We're going to kick your...". I'm reasonable and completely objective in my posts, while others take things so personally, as if someone just made a "yo mama" joke.

I didn't post much to begin with, and now because of elementary-aged style in which these people post, I post less than ever. I hardly even go to the boards. So, my question to you: What exactly is a noob? Is it a person who hasn't been registered for a long duration? Is it a person who doesn't have three zeroes in their post count? Is it a person who doesn't apply the same standard of hate towards an opposing team, or a person who doesn't refer to the team and themselves in the same-person perspective?

Karried
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I guess different sites classify new members differently but basically noob stands for:

Looks like the site you are on puts a lot of emphasis on quantity over quality.. knowing you, you offer a lot of quality. Their loss.

Thunder
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Play Yahoo! Pool more often and if you're in the right rooms, you'll see several underground groups in an all out war aganist leagues (lockdown, booting, botz, etc). Noob is commonly an insult name. It can be the same as newbie, but it is more along the line of stupid, dumb, idiot, wannabe and whatever else.

Toadrax
07-22-2008, 11:35 PM
If you have to ask what a noob is...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Yo mama's a n00b!

Thunder
07-23-2008, 12:38 AM

Good example. Asking what a noob is clearly makes a person a noob. lol

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Good example. Asking what a noob is clearly makes a person a noob. lol

It's the "Catch Twentyn00b" rule.

AFCM
07-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Comprehension's a wonderful thing, isn't it? I understand "noob" is supposed to be an insult, and is a derivative of "newbie", which comes from "new". I'm just wondering what the criteria is for being a "noob". You see, people throw out the word like it's a bodily function. For whatever reason, it makes them feel better to know they have the upperhand on a post count or time registered. I was just asking what exactly defines a "noob". Is it time registered or post count?

Thunder
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
AFCM, it could be about your posts, the way you say things, your thoughts, and all that. We're all a noob once in a while.

AFCM
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
AFCM, it could be about your posts, the way you say things, your thoughts, and all that. We're all a noob once in a while.

...but if all of my opinions are based on facts, then what? Facts can change opinions, but opinions can't change facts.

I'm one of the only posters who uses logic and critical thinking to form a thought. I don't flame and I don't take things personally. A lot of times, I have a difference of opinion simply because I don't drink the Oklahoma Kool-Aid. I'm a Sooner fan, but I keep things in perspective. A lot of these guys with 100K posts are simply fanatical...and they just happen to be the guys that throw around the term "noob" if you disagree with them.

Thunder
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't know, because I'm not on the other site. I'm just stating different ways a person can call a person a noob. Don't worry about it. Everyone has their own opinion and they say what they want. When someone says noob to you, it usually means they got nothing to throw back, so you win.

Karried
07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Looks like the site you are on puts a lot of emphasis on quantity over quality.. knowing you, you offer a lot of quality. Their loss.

Anyone can bring up their post counts and still offer little to nothing of value to a forum.

AFCM
07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your kind words Karried. You always seem to say the right things at the right time.

Toadrax
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
...but if all of my opinions are based on facts, then what? Facts can change opinions, but opinions can't change facts.

I'm one of the only posters who uses logic and critical thinking to form a thought. I don't flame and I don't take things personally. A lot of times, I have a difference of opinion simply because I don't drink the Oklahoma Kool-Aid. I'm a Sooner fan, but I keep things in perspective. A lot of these guys with 100K posts are simply fanatical...and they just happen to be the guys that throw around the term "noob" if you disagree with them.

You are kind of being a noob...

Stop taking the Internet so seriously, like oh my God. Nothing said on the Internet matters at all (though everything you said will be used against you in 20 years after the fascists take over the world.)

Think of the Internet like television, that you can talk back to.

AFCM
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
How am I taking it seriously? I just asked a question.

Thunder
07-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Here a humor example on Karried. lol

Karried and family stands in a line waiting for a turn on a roller coaster. When it is their turn, they show the express pass to the employee and the response from the employee says, "You could have gotten on this ride faster, if you had actually waited in the express line. This is the regular line." Much to Karried's embrassment, she says out loud, "Oh gosh! I'm such a noob!" lol

Toadrax
07-23-2008, 11:21 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2409/2417258896_31a4fc4180.jpg?v=1208311284

Define irony.

Thunder
07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
http://shogun.shafted.com.au/temp/bunny-noob.gif

Could we add a....

http://symbianwebblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/noob.jpg

LOL

A place to post funny NOOB pictures such as...

http://stuffworld.org/Themes/dilbermc/images/noob.jpg

http://www.foetusteam.com.ar/noob.jpg

Did someone just called the kitten a noob?

http://photos21.flickr.com/33747445_760ad76d32.jpg