View Full Version : Travel Agent or online booking?

Patrick
12-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Okay, my fiancee and I are planning a vacation to Hawaii in May. We've looked at all of the good deals on Expedia, Orbitz, American Airlines Vacations, Travelocity, etc. We're considering talking with a travel agent. What would you recommend....going with an online site to book a trip or going with a travel agent? Who typically has better rates?

windowphobe
12-21-2004, 12:23 PM
A really good travel agent, like any other good services-type person, is going to be worth her weight in rare and precious Unobtainium. If you've got one, keep her. Otherwise, unless you're looking for something in a very specific niche market, you're probably just as well off doing the online shuffle.

mranderson
12-28-2004, 07:28 AM
A really good travel agent, like any other good services-type person, is going to be worth her weight in rare and precious Unobtainium. If you've got one, keep her. Otherwise, unless you're looking for something in a very specific niche market, you're probably just as well off doing the online shuffle.

Having had nearly six years experience as a reservation agent, I learned the words "good" and "travel agent" should not be used in the same sentence.

Most travel agents will book you on the airline THEY want to book you on, will not look for alternate airports to save you money, will book you with the car rental company THEY want and not YOUR choice, they will make a reservation in the hotel THEY want and disregard your budget. In other words, they will not listen to their client. Plus, many are very rude to the reservation agents on the phone.

Although there are exceptions with areas the layperson can not book themselves, I refuse to use a travel agent anymore. I can save money and time by doing it myself.

I know some will say the travel agents no longer earn commisions (for the most part) from the vendors, however, they still do it their way.

No. I would rather Tom Bodet "leave the light on for me," and I compare the airfare and the car rental in several airports within about a 100 mile radius. Sometimes the airfare is higher and the car is lower making that segment less expensive. Other times the oposite is true. The travel agent will not think of those things.

On line. I am sick of reservation agents. I can do a better job myself.

Oh. By the way. Windowphobe. Are you saying male travel agents do not do a good job, but female agents do?

windowphobe
12-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Well, the proper generic usage, for all the grammar mavens, is "worth his weight in gold," but I like to mix it up once in a while, just to see if anyone's paying attention.

I have more experience with female travel agents, but I wouldn't extrapolate anything from that experience, inasmuch as I have no reason to assume that it's typical.

Patrick
12-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys....I think I'm going to book my vacation online with either American Airlines Vacations or Expedia! I like the freedom of creating my own package...choosing my own flight, hotel, car type and company, etc.

metro
12-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Definetely online, www.hotwire.com, usually the closer to the date of departure you book, the cheaper it is. I booked a flight to Miami roundtrip for like $175 and to Paris, France for four days with 3 star hotel for like $400. If money is no object, use a travel agent, the added amenities is worth it.

metro
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
by the way, the two above flights were from OKC too

mranderson
12-29-2004, 08:52 AM
I will not use sites like Expedia.com because, just as I will not use a travel agent, I can find better fares and more convinienent flights (etc) by going directly to the vendors website. (ie: United, Motel Six, Budget Rent a Car). Plus, when I package it myself, it costs less... Usually.

Patrick
12-30-2004, 12:47 AM
I've noticed the same thing, mranderson. I'm going with American Airlines Vacations for my honeymoon trip to Kauai, Hawaii....the airline itself through its package was simply cheaper than any of the websites, i.e., expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc., or any of the travel agents.