View Full Version : State Quarter

Kerry
07-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I just got the Oklahoma state quarter today. It sucks.

OKCMallen
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
What does it look like?

JWil
07-22-2008, 09:03 AM
What does it look like?

Like total crap!

Follow the link to see the winning design plus the other finalists. I can't believe how similar all the finalists were... and they all sucked. And hey, look, the pioneer woman! Allsomeness! Original much?

It would have been better if we just put the indian shield from the flag on it. My choice would have been some sort of image of the land run, with guys on horses and wagons and whatnot.

If you really want to feel bad, check out some of the kickass designs from states our age and younger, specifically Alaska and Arizona. Ouch.

Oklahoma Proposed Designs (http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/oklahoma.html)

JWil
07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Here is Zona:

http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/AZ_winner.gif

Alaska:

http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/AK_winner.gif

Dave Cook
07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know. I thought the new Oklahoma quarter looked pretty good.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/benniegoose/montana-quarter.jpg

Platemaker
07-22-2008, 10:05 AM
LMAO .... good one SweetNSourPoke

I think the shield from the state flag would have been perfect.... but i actually like the design that was chosen.

Jesseda
07-22-2008, 11:08 AM
The oklahoma one is nice, but for some reason I really like the Arizona one.. Why crap about the oklahoma quarter, the sissor tail is pretty...

Kerry
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
the sissor tail is pretty...

Except unless you don't live in Oklahoma; then it is just a bird. The design of the state quarter was an opportunity to showcase Oklahoma to the world and we failed. Is the Grand Canyon just a canyon? Is the Grizzly Bear just a bear? The Florida quarter shows the Spanish arriving on ships and man leaving Earth in the Space Shuttle (all from the same Florida coast). I think the Oklahoma quarter show a complete lack of imagination and spirit of what the quarter program was all about. A 100% failure on all fronts.

SeinfeldBlock
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Some of the other states had bad quarters, too. I'm definitely not saying Oklahoma's was the best, but there were others that were (in my opinion) worse.

Michigan (yawn)
Alabama (yawn, but the Braille was neat)
Kansas (oo, a buffalo)
Georgia (I wasn't a fan of that one at all)

I dunno, I'd have to say Michigan is far worse than Oklahoma's.

Kerry
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Seinfeldblock - you are right about that. There were some crappy quarters. I didn't like the one from California at all. It think a much better one for California would have been John Sutter discovering Gold. If John Sutter didn't discover Gold, California would belong to Mexico (officially).

The George peach? How long did Georgia spend on their quarter design? An hour. One thing I can't figure out is why on the submission form it said no real person (living or dead) could be on the quarter but several states have real people on their quarters (Alabama and California to name 2).

BDP
07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
The design of the state quarter was an opportunity to showcase Oklahoma to the world

I think that's overstating it a bit. I can't imagine that many people care about what's on a state quarter or form an opinion on an area because of what's on their currency.

IMO, it's all downside. It was probably possible to place something on the quarter which would paint us in a bad light, possibly offend, or cause some sort of reaction that led to bad press. However, there was nothing you could have put on that quarter that would have had a revolutionary elevation in worldwide perception of the state of Oklahoma. Impossible, unless maybe you included the phrase "this quarter worth $.50 in Oklahoma".

jbrown84
07-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah I love Arizona's. New Mexico's is great too.

What was Michigan's. I don't remember.

Karried
07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
You just got it today? ... I agree. It's so generic.. granted scissortails flycatcher are nice birds.. but a bird? What the heck does that say about Ok? We have flies and birds that catch them..... yeah

Kerry
07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Karried - I know they came out at the first of the year but the quarters are first released in their home states unless you order them from the bank. We have two roles of quarters from each state but they have not been opened. We are saving them for the kids. I recieved one last night as change for dinner in Atlanta.

Karried
07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
oh yes .. I forgot you weren't here.. my bad.

Platemaker
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Except unless you don't live in Oklahoma; then it is just a bird. The design of the state quarter was an opportunity to showcase Oklahoma to the world and we failed. Is the Grand Canyon just a canyon? Is the Grizzly Bear just a bear? The Florida quarter shows the Spanish arriving on ships and man leaving Earth in the Space Shuttle (all from the same Florida coast). I think the Oklahoma quarter show a complete lack of imagination and spirit of what the quarter program was all about. A 100% failure on all fronts.

Baby Jesus Kerry!!! This really affected, huh!?!?

Thunder
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Who think the state quarter is going to be changed within the next year or two? I think Brad Henry may want to change the design to a basketball with OKC _______ on it. lol

PennyQuilts
07-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Gosh, I like it - especially the flowers. Being back in town and seeing the scissortail flycatcher reminded me that it is a pretty unusual bird and kinda neat.

SeinfeldBlock
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah I love Arizona's. New Mexico's is great too.

What was Michigan's. I don't remember.

Michigan was the state outline surrounded by the Great Lakes, with the words something like "The Great Lakes State." All something to be proud of, but boring. In case you didn't know where Michigan was or that it had a bunch of lakes around it.

Kerry
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I will say that collectivly, the ones that had an outline of the state were the worst. Many of them are true works of art and some others look as if it took 30 minutes to complete. My favorite might be Utah.

Here is a link to all of them
50 State Commemorative Quarters Designs (http://www.quarterdesigns.com/)

bretthexum
07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I like Minnesota myself.

julieriggs
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I really like the scizzortail design! It is artistically beautiful and I think will still look attractive many years from now. Some of the designs that are busier with three or four smaller images are going to look hokey in twenty years.

Hokey - that's some official marketing-speak. Ha!

Will
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Was it the best design? No. Was it the worst design? Not by a long shot. I would rank it in the top half.

Alaska's is my favorite.

kevinpate
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I think the PBC ought to jump all over the bball angle and arrange the issue of a non-legal tender coin :)