View Full Version : Broken Water pipe in Slab-Best Fix?

namellac
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
So I woke up this morning to the sound of running water. Checked all the faucets and none were leaking. Noticed that the hot water heater was running and the floor by the washing machine was extra-warm. I've searched the web, and there are a few different options, I was just wondering if anybody here has had experience with this?

Options I've found:
1. dig the slab and repair the pipe
2. Re-route the line through the attic with flex line
3. Don't know if any dealer is here, but there is an epoxy sealer that is run through the system to seal the leak.

Suggestions?

I'm trying not to fall into the trap of getting one plumber charging me $XXXXs dollars.

Karried
07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear that.. I personally don't know of any solutions..

Did you turn off the water at the main?

I wonder if you should call the Water Company and see if it might be something they should be alerted to..... they might be able to come out and isolate the leak.

At least you'll know where it is maybe?

Good luck to you.

namellac
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Turned off hot water heater and main supply. Just waiting for call-backs from different companies. such a hassle.

FRISKY
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
What kind of pipe is it? (Copper, PVC, PB, PEX...) If it is PB you might be able to get it repaired free.

PB pipe class action lawsuit (http://www.pbpipe.com)

namellac
07-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Nah, my house is 50 years old. All copper. Good News is that Shelter Insurance is supposedly going to cover most of the repair. I've got Hi-Tech Plumbing coming out to look at it in the morning.

My concern is that if the break is due to the house settling, that this will probably happen again, and would the money be better spent on re-routing the water through the attic?

FRISKY
07-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Freezing is a possiblity if you run it in the attic. Replace the bad pipe with PEX and you will never need to worry about it again.

niranjan
03-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem. Which company did you talk to and what was your experience.

Thanks

namellac
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
sorry, can't remember the name, but I opted for the pipe through the crawl space over the ceiling with the piping that won't burst when it freezes. although the insurance company paid for it all, it was about $1500. Which seems ridiculous for about a 30ft run.

USG '60
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I highly recommend that if you have any ducting for your heat and air in the floor, look down into each one and see if there is any water visable in any of them, particularly those near the break. If so you have TWO problems and it will be a mess. Good luck, regardless.