View Full Version : What would you do to BT?

Pages : [1] 2

warreng88
07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
If you could do anything in Bricktown what would it be? Act as if you are a planner and not a financer. I would buy one of the larger 4-5 story buildings, hollow it out and build a Dave and Busters. I think that would be a one of a kind location for that company.

betts
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I would like to see one of the buildings have multiple retail shops on all levels. I'd really love Bricktown to be like the Highlands in Atlanta, but we don't really have the streetside shopping spaces, so one building with multiple shops would be great.

sroberts24
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
i would convert all the open wearhouse space into mixed use first of all... dave and busters would def. be in the plans, an espn zone, chili's, olive garden, and the pappa's franchises', extend the canal and build upward like in san antonio.... i would make everything much more dense and start building up... i would build a lot of condos along the canal, and the back part by okc rocks i would build i big mall in which the canal runs thru much like san antonio.... once a convention center is built i would tie in the canal to it as well, and build a new arena where the U-haul building and parking lot is and also tie the canal into that..... i have a lot more ideas let me ponder.... i will return:ou2

OKCMallen
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Securing just one of the pappas franchises would be a big deal. The main thing I would do is to, and I know this is pretty much impossible, but somehow convince/cajole property owners to lwoer their rent so that startup restaurants/bars/retail would give it a shot down there.

Pete
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand why the owners of the taller buildings don't put condos/apartments on the upper floors.

Most of those buildings have restaurants or clubs on the ground floor and then either have offices or empty space above.

We need more people living in that district in order to support retail.

Karried
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
MargaritaVille

(sorry, I'm vacation mode)

OKCMallen
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Pete, I can't imagine living above a club, even being relatively young and single. Too luod, too many people.

sroberts24
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
it wouldn't be too bad, there is so much out there these days in technology they could easily buffer the noise

OKCMallen
07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Unless you're a major partier, I just don't see that happening...and the white collar downtown crowd ain't gonna like that on Thursday nights, etc.

kevinpate
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd need some very strong buffers for windows walls and flooring to live above a younger crowd bar.

to live above a quiet neighborhood pub, not so much.

dismayed
07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I'd revamp many of the buildings, splitting up the huge warehouses that are the first floor into multiple smaller areas. I think it would be more economically feasible that way. I'd leave a few big mega-warehouses in tact, but not a lot.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Mimes.

OKCMallen
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
A small in-building business that sells beers/daiquiris, etc to pedestrians. Of course, I am one of those that goes to BT for barhopping and not for family night.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Letting people walk around with open containers is probably not going to happen.

The only place I know of that allows that is NOLA. There are probably other places...But outside of special events (like the State Fair), I don't know of them.

murphystone
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I would turn the fifth floor of the Mercantile Building into a events center, rentable for any event. Great location for Weddings, company events etc. I would also create a garden on top of the building for events as well. Can you imagine the view from five stories when the ball drops on New Years Eve?????
I would turn the third floor into a huge family fun center with the ole Shakeys feel and serve a product that people would crave to have as well as provide fun for the entire family, maybe full of vintage games, pin ball etc. A place that everyone who visited would want to come back to because they had so much fun and ate wonderful food while enjoying the view Maybe a place where 25 cents could still get a game of pool or a pinball game.
I would turn the fourth floor in to about four luxery condos, windows would be added on the East if at all possible or maybe 12 that are still very nice but less space to buy. Maybe small, well arranged with the view to die for.

AHHHH aren't dreams fun

Midtowner
07-24-2008, 11:13 AM
We need a rifle range and a fishin' hole out by Bass Pro shops.

BDP
07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd make all the upper floors boutique hotels. The larger buildings with clubs could use the space above the clubs for meeting areas that would be used for corporate meetings during the days and receptions and parties at night. Hopefully, this would reverse the trend of adding rooms through cookie cutter extended stay hotels and add some really interesting places and visitor density in the heart of bricktown.

Can we redo lower bricktown for retail on the canal while we're at it?

Pete, I can't imagine living above a club, even being relatively young and single. Too luod, too many people.

That's just living in a city. People are noisy, but some people like the action and energy of a 24 hour neighborhood. There are tons of neighborhoods in the country that are filled with ground level clubs, bars, shops, etc. and upper level residential. When people talk about urban living, that's essentially what it is.

OKCMallen
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd make all the upper floors boutique hotels. The larger buildings with clubs could use the space above the clubs for meeting areas that would be used for corporate meetings during the days and receptions and parties at night. Hopefully, this would reverse the trend of adding rooms through cookie cutter extended stay hotels and add some really interesting places and visitor density in the heart of bricktown.

Can we redo lower bricktown for retail on the canal while we're at it?

That's just living in a city. People are noisy, but some people like the action and energy of a 24 hour neighborhood. There are tons of neighborhoods in the country that are filled with ground level clubs, bars, shops, etc. and upper level residential. When people talk about urban living, that's essentially what it is.

Understandable, but do you want to take the financial risk to find out?

chuckdiesel
07-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Make it all dense multistory real brick buildings with more trees landscaped along the canal and sidewalks. Make it all resemble this part of bricktown:

http://www.forestparkestatesmhc.com/images/450bricktown006.JPG

Require all new buildings to be built between 4 and 10 stories with 100% brick exterior (to keep things authentic). Ban parking lots within the district and have the city fund 1 or 2 more parking garages on either side of Bricktown. Require all buildings to designate the bottom floor of buildings as strictly retail/restaurants/bars/entertainment. Require at least one story (preferably more) of all buildings to be housing of some kind. With people living it Bricktown it creates a lot more action and "nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd". Ban office buildings and HQ's from the district (Sonic I'm looking at you). Allow bars to stay open later on the weekends only in the district and as was mentioned earlier allow open containers on the streets but increase friendly police presence. Demolish Bass Pro and everything in lower Bricktown and start over with strict development codes. With required housing, required all brick, required first floor retail, banning of parking lots, the district would remain authentic, become more active and thrive once things got going.

chuckdiesel
07-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Once I-40 was rebuilt as a boulevard then I would build a football stadium on the south side of the Blvd modeled in the brick "prairie gothic" architecture found on OU's campus and bid for Big 12 conf championship game and a bowl game. Also host all of the state high school playoff games and possibly attract a preseason NFL game or two or create a neutral site for the Bedlam game to be played.

Once this place really got going they could attract the things that are popular in entertainment districts--ESPNzone, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave and Busters, Planet Hollywood for the tourists. This place currently has none of these obvious tourist attractions because it is hanging on by a thread. The Sonics relocation is a golden opportunity to really turbo charge this area with smart development before it peaks and dies.

David Pollard
07-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Make it all dense multistory real brick buildings with more trees landscaped along the canal and sidewalks. Make it all resemble this part of bricktown:

http://www.forestparkestatesmhc.com/images/450bricktown006.JPG

Require all new buildings to be built between 4 and 10 stories with 100% brick exterior (to keep things authentic). Ban parking lots within the district and have the city fund 1 or 2 more parking garages on either side of Bricktown. Require all buildings to designate the bottom floor of buildings as strictly retail/restaurants/bars/entertainment. Require at least one story (preferably more) of all buildings to be housing of some kind. With people living it Bricktown it creates a lot more action and "nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd". Ban office buildings and HQ's from the district (Sonic I'm looking at you). Allow bars to stay open later on the weekends only in the district and as was mentioned earlier allow open containers on the streets but increase friendly police presence. Demolish Bass Pro and everything in lower Bricktown and start over with strict development codes. With required housing, required all brick, required first floor retail, banning of parking lots, the district would remain authentic, become more active and thrive once things got going.

Wow! Somebody with insight!! I fully agree with everything you said except perhaps for the headquarters issue. There can be room for them too, but they have to respect the preious requirments that you outlined. Density is ineed is the solution to the current dilema of bricktown. This is such a classic urban design formula, that it astounds me that it not yet been fully implemented in Bricktown.

My hat off to you Chuckdiesel!

metro
07-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Chuck, I would also nix the idea of the football stadium. I don't think it's a worthwhile long-term investment except for high school playoffs and a few college games. Honestly, OU and OSU wouldn't be willing to give up their bedlam games on their home turf, because it is such a moneymaker for the universities and showcases their campus to potential recruits, students, etc.

kevinpate
07-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Not sure I follow how having someone's HQ present is a bad idea for a district that needs to sustain a mass of bipeds outside the hours of 5 pm - 2 am.

Unless daylight hours are to be reserved for touristas, a ready supply of walking, talking, meeting, eating, and generally glad to be where they are bipeds seems a fair idea to me.

Indeed, as the alleged piano bar hadn't even broken ground the last time I walked by TK's bar and grill earlier this month, perhaps someone might buy off that little parcel and actually develop it.

two to three stories of offices, with two stories of retail below and 1-3 levels of lofts above, would prove a rather commanding mix-use presence on that particular patch of ground.

Of course, I'm all for someone buying up that too large and too close to the canal south parking expanse and going skyward with it as well, but that's another rant for another day.

OKCMallen
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Letting people walk around with open containers is probably not going to happen.

The only place I know of that allows that is NOLA. There are probably other places...But outside of special events (like the State Fair), I don't know of them.

You already can on the canal. Also, Norman allows 21+ to walk around with low-point beer if not obviously intoxicated.

So, there you go, two places you didn't know about, both in our metro area.

sroberts24
07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
any game day in norman everybody is walking around with it, i sure am, and so is everybody by me, thats where campus corner gets a lot of money from

Nawfside OKC
07-28-2008, 02:13 PM

hey you can walk around with a open container down here in the town of Pensacola Beach ,Florida.Not just the beach but the whole town. but I think your right they probaly would not let that happen DT OKC.You never know though I thought the NBA would never be in OKC or even the lotto becoming legal.

AFCM
07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, I never thought alcohol would be served on the canal boats. I personally don't know where to draw the line. Bricktown needs to be a family-oriented environment, and lots of alcohol is hardly conducive to a G-rated atmosphere. On the other hand, we need to be progressive and more tolerant of things like an adult enjoying an adult beverage in public, so long as that individual isn't flat-out drunk or a nuisance. This topic could end up being a debate in a few years.

raw98682
07-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I'd try to keep housing and hotels out of Bricktown - close - but not IN Bricktown; the place is crowded as it is. Parking should be all around BT, but not everywhere you look. I'd love to see a couple blocks entirely pedestrian. Maybe just one garage to accomodate the handicap- most of us need the exercise anyways.
I'd also love to see it stay mostly owned by unique and local restaurants, bars, and shops. Keep most of it locally owned. You can go to Olive Garden anywhere, Bricktown should say something about OKC and be really unique.

OKCMallen
07-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, I never thought alcohol would be served on the canal boats. I personally don't know where to draw the line. Bricktown needs to be a family-oriented environment, and lots of alcohol is hardly conducive to a G-rated atmosphere. On the other hand, we need to be progressive and more tolerant of things like an adult enjoying an adult beverage in public, so long as that individual isn't flat-out drunk or a nuisance. This topic could end up being a debate in a few years.

It can be both. Alcohol is not Satan. Jeez, there is already tons of alcohol readily available in and around Bricktown, and it is already legal to walk around with at LEAST beer ( I don't know about high point stuff), and people are saying how dangerous it would be and how it would ruin the ambiance. It's already occurring, and I think it works just fine how it is. Having people be more aware of what is already legal and having sales of low-point beer in Bricktown occur would be a good thing financially. Sure, cops should bust anyone that is clearly/dangerously drunk...but that doesn't mean we should restrict alcohol from the street level. I mean, what's the difference: get drunk inside coach's, or on the sidewalk outside coach's, or in one of the many bars then jsut walk right out onto the street anyway? If youw ere arguing about trash from that, I'd understand. But you're not.

sgt. pepper
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
we just got back from branson, there is what's called branson landing. something like that would be nice on a smaller scale, something with retail.

AFCM
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
It can be both. Alcohol is not Satan. Jeez, there is already tons of alcohol readily available in and around Bricktown, and it is already legal to walk around with at LEAST beer ( I don't know about high point stuff), and people are saying how dangerous it would be and how it would ruin the ambiance. It's already occurring, and I think it works just fine how it is. Having people be more aware of what is already legal and having sales of low-point beer in Bricktown occur would be a good thing financially. Sure, cops should bust anyone that is clearly/dangerously drunk...but that doesn't mean we should restrict alcohol from the street level. I mean, what's the difference: get drunk inside coach's, or on the sidewalk outside coach's, or in one of the many bars then jsut walk right out onto the street anyway? If youw ere arguing about trash from that, I'd understand. But you're not.

I'm not arguing anything. In fact, I've mentioned how I'm on the fence regarding the subject. I clearly see the pros and cons of both sides.

However, speak to any cop about crime and they'll tell you that a vast majority of problems in any city are alcohol and drug-related, with alcohol being the foremost cause. I'm not saying I'm against alcohol being in Bricktown. I just think there have to be safeguards in place when you're introducing something like this in a family-oriented area; the inside of a bar is totally different.

OKCMallen
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
It is not totally different. Sales of alcohol onto the street results in the same thing as sales of alcohol inside a bar: drunk people on the street.

AFCM
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
It is not totally different. Sales of alcohol onto the street results in the same thing as sales of alcohol inside a bar: drunk people on the street.

...and people getting drunk on the street is different than people getting drunk in a bar, at least when it pertains to a family-oriented atmosphere.

OKCMallen
07-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Wow, no it's really not. The actual imbibing of alcohol is not what you're worried about; you're worried about the behavior of drunk people on the street. I don't see you calling for the elimination or hardcore regulation of alcohol being served to the table at a "family" restaurant. We don't need increased police presense inside restaurants that have wine on the menu, and it's not a blow to the family atmosphere...but apparently it is outside? DOesn't make much practical sense, and this type of thinking has kept Oklahoma's liquor laws archaic and a source of humor, not to mention a small economic anchor. Did you know some stores and breweries refuse to enter our market due to our laws? Make you should examine your attitude and see how it fits into the grand scheme of things.

AFCM
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM
There is a difference between drinking an adult beverage with a meal and drinking inside a bar, presumably to get drunk, so of course I'm not calling for police intervention when a restaurant serves wine.

Secondly, I never said I opposed serving alcohol outside. In fact, if you go back and try to comprehend what I wrote, I clearly stated I was on the fence regarding the issue. I see both sides of the coin.

All I'm saying is, if OKC is going to allow alcohol to be served outdoors in public in an area in which kids will be present, precautions need to be made. If you don't understand why, speak with a police officer regarding the statistics involving alcohol-related crime. I was a cop for five years and I saw enough to awaken my senses on the subject. There is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol; it's how people tend to act when they're under the influence, or trying to achieve intoxication from alchohol, that becomes an issue when children are present.

Lastly, quit trying to force a belief I don't hold into my post. No where in my writings will you find me calling for the prohibition of alcohol in a public area. Maybe you should examine your attitude and see how it fits into the grand scheme of things, like posts for example.

CuatrodeMayo
07-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow! Somebody with insight!! I fully agree with everything you said except perhaps for the headquarters issue. There can be room for them too, but they have to respect the preious requirments that you outlined. Density is ineed is the solution to the current dilema of bricktown. This is such a classic urban design formula, that it astounds me that it not yet been fully implemented in Bricktown.

My hat off to you Chuckdiesel!

:congrats:

sgt. pepper
07-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Require at least one story (preferably more) of all buildings to be housing of some kind. With people living it Bricktown it creates a lot more action
yes, good idea, branson landing had some apartments/condos above the retail shops.

OKCMallen
07-31-2008, 07:43 AM
There is a difference between drinking an adult beverage with a meal and drinking inside a bar, presumably to get drunk, so of course I'm not calling for police intervention when a restaurant serves wine.

Secondly, I never said I opposed serving alcohol outside. In fact, if you go back and try to comprehend what I wrote, I clearly stated I was on the fence regarding the issue. I see both sides of the coin.

All I'm saying is, if OKC is going to allow alcohol to be served outdoors in public in an area in which kids will be present, precautions need to be made. If you don't understand why, speak with a police officer regarding the statistics involving alcohol-related crime. I was a cop for five years and I saw enough to awaken my senses on the subject. There is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol; it's how people tend to act when they're under the influence, or trying to achieve intoxication from alchohol, that becomes an issue when children are present.

Lastly, quit trying to force a belief I don't hold into my post. No where in my writings will you find me calling for the prohibition of alcohol in a public area. Maybe you should examine your attitude and see how it fits into the grand scheme of things, like posts for example.

Wow, like your posts are so hard to comprehend; it might take me a while to try to understand it. You're stating an opinion with zero logic or facts to back it up other than "I was a cop." Wow. Your opinion must mean more than everyone else's.

OK, now I am going to go examine my attitude. We already know what yours is: a puritan hangover regarding alcohol that makes Oklahomans seem behind the times. No need to examine yours.

fuzzytoad
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
at least when it pertains to a family-oriented atmosphere.

Maybe that's the real issue. I, for one, am sick of *everything* in OKC having to be family-oriented.

There's a number of reasons why so many people leave the city/state to go party on the weekends, the 2 primary ones being the insanely antiquated liquor laws and the fact that you can't find a decent place to hang out in this town without worrying about someone's precious snowflake seeing you drink a beer or hearing you say a naughty word.

john60
07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
It seems that there are a lack of late night food options for the bar crowd...Sonic, Falcones, and street vendors selling greasy food (or even good food) could make great money between 12-4 am on the weekends.

sgt. pepper
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe that's the real issue. I, for one, am sick of *everything* in OKC having to be family-oriented.
you can go down almost any street in OKC and find a low scum bar to get drunk in.....and what's wrong with me not wanting my precious snowflake not to see you drink or hear you say a naughty word????i think it GREAT that OKC is so family friendly!

mmonroe
08-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't believe walking around with open containers of any alcoholic substance, low point or high, being legal on the streets of BT. I've seen more than a few arrested because of it.

To truly take care of the situation, if you really wanted drinking on the streets, you would have to designate specific containers, ie aluminum bottles, waste collection, and increased foot traffic by police officers. I really see it just costing more money to the city. Even per the higher tax revenue from sales.

Then you have to look at it turning from a family/tourist destination, to the strictly 21+ crowd.

Plus, drinking in bars is a lot better than on the street. Who would regulate how much a patron has had to drink or even if the person is old enough to drink than a bartender?

Bartenders are ultimately responsible for what happens to a drinker after they leave. They are suppose to regulate how much is too much if you seem overly intoxicated, and if they continue to let your drink, fully aware that you are overly intoxicated, and you crash or cause harm to someone, they are responsible. Who will have that responsibility when it's on the streets?

kevinpate
08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
While I'm not fan of drinks on the streets and sidewalks, as to who would be responsible, oh, I dunno, here's an idea.

Why don't we go back to the apparently antiquated concept of when someone screws up, he or she is held responsible for his or her actions.

You know, the one who made the decision to consume each drink that went into in his or her system.

I know, I know, too radical for today's times.

BG918
08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
When I was at the Redhawks game Friday night I was struck how badly that corner lot by JDM Place needs to be developed. I wouldn't mind if it looked like JDM Place or like one of the other warehouses along there, as long as it was similar in scale and materials (BRICK). Also that lot by Zio's needs to go. So what would I do to BT? Develop those lots as my first priority. Then I would concentrate on developing the lots around the intersection of Reno and Oklahoma as that will eventually be the gateway into Bricktown from the blvd. (the first at-grade intersection is at Oklahoma) and a key connection between the Ford Center and the rest of the district. Then it would be redeveloping the old industrial areas along Sheridan on the eastside of Bricktown into urban townhomes and lofts and making Sheridan more of "the" street for nightlife with more bars and music venues, and of course developing those parking lots along it at Mickey Mantle (by LIT) and the ones across from Spaghetti Warehouse and Bricktown Brewery. A parking garage further down the street at Joe Carter would make up for the lost parking.

mmonroe
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
What about closing down a few of the streets and making it walking/biking only, nice side walks, trees, park benches, etc... like a huge promenade.

NativeOkie
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Is Chuck diesel on the city council?
If not, why not?
You need to read his ideas.
Love the Big 12 championship game idea for Basketball and Football.

mmonroe
08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Where can one find these ideas?

NativeOkie
08-04-2008, 06:32 PM
page 1

Mr. T in OKC
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
You already can on the canal. Also, Norman allows 21+ to walk around with low-point beer if not obviously intoxicated.

So, there you go, two places you didn't know about, both in our metro area.

You can in Norman, but only on football game days if I'm not mistaken (6 days per year), and only in the surrounding area of the football stadium. In Bricktown, don't you have to stay directly in front of the establishment that you purchased the "fun" beverage from? I don't think either of these is compares with what you can do in NOLA

jbrown84
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
We don't want Bricktown to be the French Quarter. We don't want it to be the state fair either, so lets keep the alcohol in the bars and on the patios.

Anyway, here's what I would do, assuming money and ownership issues weren't obstacles.

1) Parking lot at Sheridan & Oklahoma would become a public space, Horton Square (named for Neal Horton), with a mix of grass and hard surface areas. This would eliminate the ugly surface parking, but still allow it to be used for the many outdoor festivals Bricktown hosts. I would build a free parking garage on the other side of Oklahoma, where there is currently a small surface lot.

2) I would build a parking garage on the lot south of Zio's, with entrance on Reno. I would put a multi-story Barnes & Noble or Borders or Full Circle in the Rock Island Plow building on the NW corner of Reno & Oklahoma, with lofts on the top floors. And I would put an Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame on the lot east of Zio's on the canal. This would have canal-level space that would include a gift shop and an Oklahoma music-themed restaurant or perhaps a 24-hour diner. The museum would then be above that, with the exhibits on at least 2 floors, and a medium-sized venue (auditorium-style).

3) I would complete the Cotton Exchange as originally proposed.

4) I would put a boutique hotel in the upper floors of Spaghetti Warehouse. I would put lofts in the upper floors of Mercantile Building, fmr. Daquiri Zone, and Melting Pot.

5) I would build the Mickey Mantle Museum just north of the plaza w/ the clock. It would have large (thick) windows overlooking the outfield. There would be condos above the museum as well as north of it, filling in the area around the ballpark with dense development.

6) Across Joe Carter would be a development like Funk proposed, with ground level retail and condos, and possibly a hotel. This would include underground parking and some above ground garage with access from the alley to the north. This development would continue to the south of Reno, filling in all of Bass Pro's parking lot, with the mini-canal running through the middle. This is where I would put Dave & Busters and ESPN Zone, as these buildings would have larger footprints.

7) I would put a parking garage on the current Harkins lot, south of Toby Kieths, with 3 story mixed use buildings between it and the canal.

8) I would replace the Stewart Metals buildings with dense residential developments and service retail.

9 I would put in more public art, and more fountains.

Nabber
08-05-2008, 07:18 PM
What someone really wants a mime in brick town. It is a fun art form but how would a mime exist in brick town except for the fun of it and giving up hers/his weekends?
But yeah more street entertainers would be sweet, there is like what 5-7 active ones?
I like what chuck diesel has in mind,
besides if you get plenty of humans in brick town it will slowly attract more street entertainers.

Yours in wondering
Nabber

jc4455
08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I think we need a Rickshaw system for Bricktown.

Besides fixing the parking situations, it would accomplish a number of other things for OKC:

It would bring more tourists and business travelers to Bricktown from the local hotels.

It would help more Oklahoma City residents reach Mayor Mick Cornett's Weight loss goal for the city.

It would give those individuals who normally can't visit Bricktown due to economic contraints the ability to enjoy the area while providing a service to those who routinely spend lots of time/money supporting Bricktown businesses.

It would add to the atmosphere I think we're all trying to establish in Bricktown.

Maybe in the winter the rickshaws could be replaced by Sedan chairs to protect visitors from the elements.

dismayed
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
We had those at one time about a year ago (we called them pedi-taxi's), but I haven't seen them lately so that company may not be around anymore.

betts
08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I saw a couple of the Pedi-cabs the night of the Dave Matthews concert, transporting people around Bricktown.

jc4455
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
We had those at one time about a year ago (we called them pedi-taxi's), but I haven't seen them lately so that company may not be around anymore.

We did? I can't believe I missed that. I wonder what happened, it seems like a company could make a huge amount of money doing this in Bricktown.

jbrown84
08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they are still around.

Brickshaw Buggy - A Memorable Bricktown Experience (http://www.brickshaw.com/)

westsidesooner
08-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Extend the canal to the south and west to the old cotton mill site and build a small lake with a boardwalk around it to house restaurants like Dave and Busters, or Dicks Last Resort. Maybe a small ampitheatre for laocal bands along the canal or lakeside.

Beach Volleyball complex

Small to midsize stadium to host high school playoffs, soccer tourneys, etc. About 20-25 thousand seats. Anyone seen Taft lately? Is that the best we have to offer?

An observation tower

Somethng for the kids and tourists along the lines of Great Wold Lodge. That would fit in real well in B-town

Fill in the lower floors along the upper canal with small retail or professional offices. This area has been vacant since day 1.

chuckdiesel
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of extending the canal and building a small lake/large pond that others have proposed. Would it be possible to extend it to the future park in C2S and end in a small lake there.

westsidesooner
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I just noticed I mispelled Great Wolf Lodge earlier.

Indoor Waterpark Resort - Family Vacations at Indoor Water Parks - Great Wolf Lodge (http://www.greatwolf.com/index.aspx)

My bad. Rather than editing that post I thought I'd ask everyone what you think the chances of us getting one of these in lower or East bricktown. An indoor waterpark would be a GREAT draw in the winter. Think of all the parents who could feel safe leaving their kids there while they go to a basketball or baseball game, or even out to a quiet dinner . And its design isn't anymore "unbricktown" than Bass Pro.

jbrown84
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
We need to fill in all the holes of the existing Bricktown (upper & lower) before we expand it significantly. The boardwalk should go on the river somewhere.