View Full Version : Disney Cruises

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Karried's post re: her trip to Orlando prompted me to ask if anyone here has been on a Disney Cruise??

I am thinking about taking my 10 yr old daughter on one next year sometime, and want to get some other opinions.

Thanks in advance....

:tiphat:

Karried
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Intrepid, I've never taken a Disney Cruise. I've heard it is nice but very pricey. My friends went on one a few years ago and they indicated that it was very expensive with flights to Orlando, transfers to the port, excursions etc.

I think a little girl would love it.. the princess theme etc etc... but with two boys, we've always done our own thing on different ships.

I think it's much more cost effective to drive down to Galveston and cruise to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Jamaica... or Belize and different ports.

You'll get the same experience sans the Disney characters ( they do have kids' programs, clubs, activities galore - magic shows, comedians, musicals etc) for a lot less but if money isn't a factor, you might take the Disney route just for the experience.

Check out CruiseCritic.com boards.. so much info there, it will blow your mind.

Karried
07-20-2008, 05:58 PM
And just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with in Orlando... we're flying in on Friday... flights are outrageous with these gas prices, then airport transfer to hotel.. $45 and then Universal Studios for one day.. Transportion to the Cruise Port on Sat is $140 each way .. you still have excursions in the ports to consider and add mandatory tips... not trying to discourage you but maybe encourage you to cruise out of a closer home port to save you some cash.

I can give you a list of hotels to stay at in Galveston that have free parking and shuttles to the port.

The only reason we're doing this itinerary out of Florida ( we've done it before) is because our friends are doing it and invited us.

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info. With the disney packages, all transfers are included, if booked thru Disney agents.

I priced a 3 day cruise, with aifare, and a 5 day Disney world trip with airfare, hotel and park hopper, with meals and both came around to the same price.

For some reason I have gotten the cruise bug and maybe that's why I'm leaning towards the cruise.

Everything is still in the preliminary planning stages, but I know I need to decide something soon so I can start getting things booked for next year.

Karried
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
You'll have a blast.. a cruise is such a wonderful way to vacation ...

I just think Disney is more expensive than any other cruise line but again, you're getting all the Disney perks.

Yes ,if you're wanting the Disney experience I can see doing it.. they are only young once.

We are going to Disneyworld for 5 days Park Hopper with Water Park tix for 4 = $1240

I'm hoping that my kids aren't too old to enjoy it! They loved Disneyland when they were little.. but now they are getting to be ' cool ' .. lol

And yes, transfers are included but you are paying for them lol... they get you coming and going.

But, like I said, they are only young once and you only live once, the memories and pictures will be priceless.

Go for it!

jsibelius
07-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Never done a Disney cruise either (no kids). I've always been under the impression that they're horribly expensive. A 3-day cruise out of Galveston with a child is probably not the way to go, anyway. They're not called "booze cruise" for no reason. The 7-nighters are a lot more tame. For that length of time, you probably would be better off doing the Conquest out of Galveston. But if you're looking at a shorter cruise and your Disney cruise with air and all that works out, good work. Have fun!

Tread carefully with that Cruise Critic group. They have useful info, but they can be a mean bunch of folks.