View Full Version : Aleve causes heart problems

Patrick
12-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Well, just after they told us Aleve might be a good alternative to COX-2 inhibitors like Celebrex and Vioxx, add Aleve to the list of NSAID's that can cause heart disease. Hmmm...what's next....aspirin?

------------

"FDA issues warning on naproxen
Over-the-counter drug linked to heart problems, government study finds

Updated: 7:58 p.m. ET Dec. 20, 2004WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration Monday issued a warning to patients taking the painkiller naproxen after a government study showed the over-the-counter medicine can cause an increased risk of heart problems.

advertisement

Patients taking naproxen, which is sold as a generic drug and under the brand names Aleve, Naprosyn and others, should not exceed the recommended dose and should not take it for more than 10 days unless directed by their doctor, the FDA said in a statement.

The news follows studies showing increased heart risks in two prescription painkillers. Merck & Co. Inc. withdrew its arthritis drug Vioxx in September. Pfizer Inc. has kept its arthritis medicine Celebrex on the market, but has suspended consumer advertising.

The results were part of a National Institutes of Health trial studying certain anti-inflammatory drugs in patients at risk for Alzheimer’s disease. The trial, which included Celebrex, was halted after early results showed a higher risk of cardiovascular problems.

Celebrex showed “no significant increase” in risk for cardiac trouble or stroke in the trial, the NIH said.

Bayer AG makes Aleve, and Roche Palo Alto, a subsidiary of Roche AG, makes Naprosyn.

Naproxen and Celebrex are in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that includes aspirin and ibuprofen. Within that group, Vioxx and Celebrex are part of a class known as cox-2 inhibitors, along with Pfizer’s Bextra."

Keith
12-21-2004, 06:20 PM
I still take Tylenol. Gee, I hope it is safe. :noldus:

Patrick
12-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Me too! It's better than putting up with a migraine for an entire week!

Ms.Relaxationstation
12-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Hmmmm I hear massage therapy is good for a headache.....hummm now where can you find a good massage therapist these days?? LOL :headscrat

Patrick
12-23-2004, 02:26 PM
I've been trying to get my fiancee to take up massage therapy. That would probably put an end to my headaches once and for all. A little massage therapy combined with......

Keith
12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Uh, with what?

Patrick
12-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Okay, I was just being a little humerous.....

after we get married, include the term "sex" after the with!

mistipetal
01-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Everything is bad for you in some way, all the meds aggravate some condition. 500 years from now, people will probably look at our medical methods the way we look at blood letting. Tylenol can cause migraines, a friend of mine can't take it. So I'm sure eventually someone will come out with more concerns about it. : ) I don't see any problem with massage therapy. If only they covered weekly massage on my health plan....but alas.

Midtowner
01-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I've been trying to get my fiancee to take up massage therapy. That would probably put an end to my headaches once and for all. A little massage therapy combined with......

The term is "a happy ending".

Yes, you should feel more educated now.

Patrick
01-19-2005, 10:50 PM
The term is "a happy ending".

Yes, you should feel more educated now.

Wha?

Ms.Relaxationstation
01-19-2005, 11:47 PM
I can't tell you how many times I get asked for the "Happy Ending". When I was just starting out, I always said, "Sure you will leave happy"....of course that was until I realized what they meant. I'm blonde..and I guess I was a lil naive. LOL

Anyway...for the record....no "happy endings" here , although I hope you are happy when you leave!
:tongue:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-20-2005, 11:55 AM
i miss happy endings.....