View Full Version : Tornado Warnings

Karried
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Telephones to be used for tornado warnings

By The Associated Press

GLENPOOL - In addition to blaring sirens and screeching weather-radio alerts, local residents will now have another way of learning about approaching tornadoes: they will get a telephone call.

The City Council has approved a contract with Media Weather Innovations in Colorado, which will alert residents only when a tornado warning is issued specifically for Glenpool, City Manager Ed Tinker (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Ed+Tinker&CATEGORY=PERSON) said.

Only Glenpool residents within a tornado warning area issued by the National Weather Service (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=National+Weather+Service&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) will be alerted. The calls are automatically made as the information is disseminated over the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=U.S.+National+Oceanic+and+Atmospheric+Ad ministration&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) Weather Wire, said Valerie Ritterbusch (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Valerie+Ritterbusch&CATEGORY=PERSON), Media Weather Innovations vice president and meteorologist.
The program is a partnership with television station KTUL.

Tinker (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Ed+Tinker&CATEGORY=PERSON) said the contract with the Colorado company is the first for any city or town in the country.
"We know now that that 80-year-old person is now going to get that call alerting them that a tornado may be nearby," he said. "This will automatically ring all 911 landlines in Glenpool when a tornado warning is issued."

The cost of the system is $20,000 to $22,000, or about $3.50 per landline, depending on how many residents will take part in the program. Residents can opt out of the program if they don't want to receive the call.
The system won't replace the 10 storm sirens positioned throughout Glenpool, a city of about 8,000 people, 14 miles south of Tulsa. The cost of putting the town's landline telephones on the new system is about the same as buying a new storm siren.

"With this system, our residents in the path of the storm will receive the warning, while others outside the tornado warning polygon might not," Tinker said. "Calls are made first to those closest to the storm, and then those directly in the path of the storm."

The service has been particularly welcomed by the older population, Ritterbusch (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Valerie+Ritterbusch&CATEGORY=PERSON) said.
"Most won't listen to a weather radio, but they will answer the phone," she said.

BradR
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
neat idea, but we don't even have a landline and don't intend on getting one here

Bobby821
07-18-2008, 07:29 AM
neat idea, but we don't even have a landline and don't intend on getting one here

Why would you not have a regular telephone? that just doesnt makre sense I would never not have a regular phone i use it for all my calling except if i am making a call from the car or if i am out somewhere and need to call someone.

Intrepid
07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Why would you not have a regular telephone? that just doesnt makre sense I would never not have a regular phone i use it for all my calling except if i am making a call from the car or if i am out somewhere and need to call someone.

I haven't had a landline phone for nearly 7 years now. No need for it. My cell phone has been reliable and my cell has nearly all the same features a landline can provide. It's an extra $30-$50 (if not more) a month I can put towards other things.

OKCDrummer77
07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I haven't had a landline phone for nearly 7 years now. No need for it. My cell phone has been reliable and my cell has nearly all the same features a landline can provide. It's an extra $30-$50 (if not more) a month I can put towards other things.

Same here. We've been a little over 4 years landline-free. The best part? No telemarketers!

Luke
07-18-2008, 10:21 AM
No landlines here either.

JLCinOKC
07-18-2008, 10:27 AM
It would be cool if those without a landline could sign up for a text message alert on their cell in the event of a weather warning.

Bobby821
07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I dont get it why people do not want a home phome like it has always been throughout history.

AFCM
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I dont get it why people do not want a home phome like it has always been throughout history.

The same reason people don't use typewriters like it always was throughout history. Times change.

Because of my mobile's multiple features, I have the world at my fingertips. The actual phone service is just one of the things I'm getting with my cell, for just a little more than a landline. For all your home and accessory needs, call Totally Wireless...634-3434. See advertising with a catchy jingle does work.

Bobby821
07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
The same reason people don't use typewriters like it always was throughout history. Times change.

Because of my mobile's multiple features, I have the world at my fingertips. The actual phone service is just one of the things I'm getting with my cell, for just a little more than a landline. For all your home and accessory needs, call Totally Wireless...634-3434. See advertising with a catchy jingle does work.

Well i for one would still use a typewriter if i could get one, I am right now searching online trying to find the old style western electric phones form the 60's and 70's to use in my home they were the best.

BradR
07-19-2008, 01:34 PM
i don't even have a phone line ran to my house. i bought it new in '05 and never had the phone company come out so I still have a little coil of phone lines on the side of the house.

i haven't had a land line since I lived out in Burns flat and had to have it for 56k internet (ugh!), my cell phone does everything I need it to do now, and it saves me money.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Pharaoh called, he's wants his cursed phone.

edcrunk
07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
wow... i haven't had a land line for 11 years

Thunder
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
It would be cool if those without a landline could sign up for a text message alert on their cell in the event of a weather warning.

Keep track of the local news stations, they do provide free text alert.

kevinpate
07-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Tmes change sir. Why, when some folks here were a tad younger, driving 40 was deemed being wild and folks only tipped a nickle, even for great service.

Welcome to 2008. hope it won't make you :dizzy:

jsibelius
07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't get it why people do not want a home phone like it has always been throughout history.

Why pay twice for something you only use once? Nobody calls me and I don't call anybody - why on EARTH would I pay double for that privilege? It made more sense to pick one, and when picking, it made more sense to pick the one that could follow me around.

Keep track of the local news stations, they do provide free text alert.

So does the Weather Channel.