View Full Version : Nameless OKC NBA team gear arrives

metro
07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm surprised I didn't see this posted anywhere yet:

NBA gear arrives for nameless OKC team
Journal Record
July 17, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The sports apparel shop where Colby Ousley works was one of the first places to get new NBA T-shirts featuring Oklahoma City on the front. There’s still a big question on the minds of Ousley and others who are eager for the NBA to make its official arrival in the city, though.“I’m anxious to know what they’re finally going to be. The colors, nobody knows anything about that,” said Ousley, a 19-year-old who’s studying athletic training at the University of Central Oklahoma.

A single rack of black T-shirts featuring the white logo from the team’s summer league jerseys and the word Oklahoma City was set up next to the cash register Wednesday at the Hibbett Sports store in the Quail Springs Mall in northern Oklahoma City. Each one was on sale for $22.

But two weeks after owner Clay Bennett announced that he would be moving the Seattle SuperSonics to his hometown, with an entirely new name and look, there could still be a long wait before that new identity gets unveiled.“I think the team probably has a plan of how they want this to roll out accordingly, and we’ll certainly do whatever they want us to do,” Christopher Arena, the NBA’s vice president of apparel, sporting goods and basketball partnerships, said this week.“ Knowing the timelines that we’re under, I could envision us launching the name first, just because maybe we want to start selling tickets or maybe there are some marketing vehicles that require the name first, and then the logo sometime thereafter, and then the uniform last.”

The NBA expects that parts of Oklahoma City’s new identity might be announced next month, but the final deadline will be late September – shortly before the start of preseason games. The actual names under consideration aren’t being revealed, but Bennett has said there are several names being cleared through the league and that the team took in recommendations through letters, naming competitions at schools and a contest run by the local newspaper. “We’ve got lots and lots of names, so we feel like we have absorbed much of the flavor of what the citizens have considered and have certainly put that into the equation,” Bennett said.

Arena said Bennett provided “emotion-evoking words” that will be used by the NBA’s marketing department, creative services group and global merchandising group to formulate a team name. There also are some hurdles with double-checking copyrights and other legal issues. “He used words that would allow the designer to go down a path that I think will get us there faster,” Arena said. “Certainly, once we have the name and you put the name with the emotions and the feelings and these competitive nature types of ideals that he wants to instill in this team.”

The process for overhauling a team’s logo and colors usually takes 22 months. Arena said teams would need to submit proposals by January for changes that would be made for the season that begins in fall of the following year. Several months would be spent on designing a logo, then a few more on a uniform design and finally a long stretch of working with retailers who’d be interested in carrying the items.“I think it’s all just accelerated. There’s nothing that’s going to be compromised,” Arena said.

The shirts with the practice wear graphic are only the first step in the merchandising plan. Caps, imprinted basketballs and replica jerseys will eventually become part of the mix.

But while there’s been much talk about the team’s relocation to Oklahoma City, the rack of T-shirts went untouched for an hour on a slow weekday morning at Hibbett Sports. That could change once there’s something more for Ousley and other fans to get excited about.“If we can allow the fans to embrace us by showcasing here’s the name and in a few weeks we launch the logo and the colors and then a few weeks after that the uniform, that may be the best direction,” Arena said. “But we’ll talk to the team, and we’ll strategize accordingly.”

The NBA certainly doesn’t want to find itself redesigning the team’s logo, colors or identity in the near future.“We want to make something that’s timeless and has some meaning for a long, long time so we aren’t going to rush that process just to hit a timeline that we may put on a piece of paper,” Arena said. “We want to get things out there as soon as possible, but we want to do it right.”So for a little while longer, the name will remain classified.“Certainly, we’d love a unique name but we want our name to be in indigenous to the area,” Arena said. “We want it to hopefully have some meaning to the fans in that area and around the world.”

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labsnba%20gear%20nameless%20team.JPG
Colby Ousley works in a Hibbett Sports store, one of the first places to get new NBA T-shirts featuring Oklahoma City on the front. AP PHOTO

AFCM
07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I saw this in the paper this morning and intially thought, "What a dumb idea. Someone's going to buy this now and then have to buy another once the team cements a permanent name". After thinking about though, I realized it might make a nice collector's item, kind of like the rookie card of sports gear. If nothing else, it will show you've really been there supporting the team from the very beginnings.

Kerry
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
For those "collectors" out there - it might be worth buying a couple and putting them in frames to hang on the wall. If you could get some player to sign it using a whiteout pen you might have something.

plmccordj
07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone know what happened to the www.okchornetscentral.com (http://www.okchornetscentral.com?) It goes to a Godaddy.com page. Same with www.sonicsbeat.com Coming Soon! (http://www.sonicsbeat.com).

the_Mont
07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Anyone know what happened to the www.okchornetscentral.com (http://www.okchornetscentral.com?) It goes to a Godaddy.com page. Same with www.sonicsbeat.com Coming Soon! (http://www.sonicsbeat.com).

The owner said earlier this week that the site would be down on Wednesday for some maintenance. She was going to get rid of the Hornets and Sonics logos/colors, and make it a more Oklahoma City-centric site. It was only supposed to go down on Wednesday from 5p to 7p, and come back up later that night. Don't know what the problem is.

betts
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Anyone know what happened to the www.okchornetscentral.com (http://www.okchornetscentral.com) It goes to a Godaddy.com page. Same with www.sonicsbeat.com Coming Soon! (http://www.sonicsbeat.com).

Yes, it was supposed to be a very smooth transition, but there were a few bumps. The front page is up, and the forum will be up tomorrow. New (temporary) URL is okcnbafans.com. There will be a new website, with new graphics, but it's under construction right now.

dalelakin
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Not good PR policy to not have the name AND logo ready at announcement time...A business of this caliber shouldn't and won't operate that way.

"I think the team probably has a plan of how they want this to roll out accordingly, and we'll certainly do whatever they want us to do," Christopher Arena, the NBA's vice president of apparel, sporting goods and basketball partnerships, said this week.

"Knowing the timelines that we're under, I could envision us launching the name first, just because maybe we want to start selling tickets or maybe there are some marketing vehicles that require the name first, and then the logo sometime thereafter, and then the uniform last."

While I agreed with you when you posted that in the other thread I can't imagine that they would not have everything ready to go at time of annoucement but with the above statements makes me wonder?

JWil
07-18-2008, 12:19 AM
This might just be like a band waiting around for the crowd to demand the encore. We all know it's coming, they just want to get the buzz going.

This could be part of it. NOT releasing the name and such right away is getting us fixated and focused on the team name. It is getting us anxious and excited about what the name will be so we can finally have a name for Oklahoma City's FIRST REAL TEAM. It's big. We know it. They do too. Not getting it out now just raises the buzz.

I think that's not a bad way to go, honestly. It's a slow time of year and this issue gets to take center stage because of that.

the_Mont
07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
When is OKCwhateverCentral coming back Betts?

metro
07-18-2008, 07:45 AM
daleakin, you raise some good concerns and I've since contemplated a similar scenario as well. I've never been involved with a new major league team from the promotions side so I'm not sure the global licensing requirements and timelines. I think the posters who say certain names have been used for other sports or amateur sports (aka highschool, college) and can't be used for our NBA team are "baseless" as Clay Bennett would say. If given that, we'd never have a team name because somewhere probably every mascot concievable has been used. This is all about GLOBAL MARKETABILITY while still preserving local flavor. We live in a global economy folks and it's only going to continue to head in that direction. We'd be foolish not to have a solid name that could be marketed well globally. Especially since we are craving that national and international attention we all talk about. MG Motors didn't pan out for us, this is our best chance for awhile. Perhaps by the time they get licensing approvals, trademarks, etc. 2 months is pushing it (and I could see that) then perhaps September is more realistic.

Intrepid
07-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Any place online where these items can be purchased?

Doug Loudenback
07-20-2008, 05:49 AM
I got mine at Academy on NW Expressway ... is it time to strut, yet?

Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/NBA%20in%20OKC/3jerseys.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/NBA%20in%20OKC/3jerseyss.jpg

betts
07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Any place online where these items can be purchased?

The NBA Store (http://store.nba.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=oklahoma%20city&origkw=oklahoma%20city&f=2834601&s=D-StorePrice-NBA&sr=1)