View Full Version : We Have A Name!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Rover
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Bob Barry Jr just reported the OKC NBA name has been agreed on by all parties. We should find out what it is soon, but so far, no leaks.

Luke
07-15-2008, 10:03 PM
OOOooooh, how exciting!

:)

mmonroe
07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
it's gonna be something lame like oklahoma city tornadic activies... woooo... not.

HOT ROD
07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Not

OKCisOK4me
07-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I watched NewsNow53 earlier and Dean Blevins said that a name has not been achieved, nor will something be agreed and marketed on until some time in late September.

Intrepid
07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
I watched NewsNow53 earlier and Dean Blevins said that a name has not been achieved, nor will something be agreed and marketed on until some time in late September.

I haven't watched the newscast yet, but I do remember hearing him (Dean) on The Sports Animal last Friday evening, with Al and Jim, predicting that there would be some sort of press conf this week announing a name.

I wonder what has changed his tune?? Surely his prediction isn't going to be wrong again? ;)

Platemaker
07-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Rover... Channel 4!?!?!? Really!?!?!?!

j/k

metro
07-16-2008, 07:52 AM

I highly doubt good ole Dean is right then. For PR purposes it would be wise to have the name announced this week. I will be shocked if a name isn't announced this week, especially if not by end of next week. They need to start building a new brand/image fast so they can further distance themselves from Seattle Sonics.

On an ironic note, I think I was dreaming last night that the new name would be announced today or tomorrow. Weird I know. I think we'll see something very soon, but that's my two cents.

sroberts24
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
they have to have a name out asap due to scheduling purposes

metro
07-16-2008, 07:57 AM
yes scheduling purposes too, but building a new image and brand and distancing the franchise from Seattle is more important than scheduling. The location is firm so that doesn't effect scheduling. The team just needs it's identity, call it an temporary identity crisis if you will.

BDP
07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I think it depends on if a chosen name is being used or not and, if so, can they get all the intellectual property clearances, assurances, and, if needed, licenses to use it and, then, if they can't they'll have to pick another one and go through the process again.

What's weird to me is that they could do all that without any leaks.

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I haven't watched the newscast yet, but I do remember hearing him (Dean) on The Sports Animal last Friday evening, with Al and Jim, predicting that there would be some sort of press conf this week announing a name.

I wonder what has changed his tune?? Surely his prediction isn't going to be wrong again? ;)

I do agree with you here. I remember some local sportscaster saying on the sportsanimal that they would have an announcement probably shortly after the All-Star break. Well, that's right now.

So who knows what the deal is. Hopefully they just announce the name for scheduling purposes and then work on the uni's, logo, mascot, ticket designs, and fan merchandise between the name announcement and this late September date.

LordGerald
07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I pretty sure Dean has no clue what he is talking about. I bet BBJ scooped him again.

OKCMallen
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I think we nee dit quickly; september is way out tehre.

jbrown84
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Why would they pick a name that has all kind of rights issues? Isn't that the whole point of spending all this time picking the best name?

metro
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I do agree with you here. I remember some local sportscaster saying on the sportsanimal that they would have an announcement probably shortly after the All-Star break. Well, that's right now.

So who knows what the deal is. Hopefully they just announce the name for scheduling purposes and then work on the uni's, logo, mascot, ticket designs, and fan merchandise between the name announcement and this late September date.

Not good PR policy to not have the name AND logo ready at announcement time. Again, it would be nice have a name when scheduling, but the location is all that matters when making a schedule. We already have and are the location. Again this is all about IMAGE or BRANDING. Don't build a half ass brand by announcing the name upfront but don't have a logo ready for 2 months. Geez, could you imagine the national flack we'd get in the press (especially in Seattle) by not being completely ready at announcement time. The dumb redneck Okies are so eager to announce their team name, they don't have colors and logo's picked yet. A business of this caliber shouldn't and won't operate that way.

MonkeesFan
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Is there any idea why the team name must end with an S? My team which is the Orlando Magic doesn't even have a S at the end

OKCMallen
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Because Clay is rumored to prefer names that end in S.

jbrown84
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
It seems it would be hard to get a logo created without it leaking to the press, but it's possible.

Intrepid
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
I just want to know who was right:

BBJ or Dean the Dream

=)

AFCM
07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
It seems it would be hard to get a logo created without it leaking to the press, but it's possible.

...you mean leaked onto OKCTalk and later picked up by the press.

hipsterdoofus
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Either way, seems that this thread title is misleading...

Kerry
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Um... The NBA said the name would not be ready to go until the end of September. According the marketing director at the NBA he said it is normally a 22 month process but they hoped to have a name, logo, and colors ready by the end of September.

"The complete team identity, including name, colors, logos and the uniform, will be completed by late September,” Arena said. "We will work with Mr. Bennett, the team and adidas on a plan to release some individual elements as soon as next month.”

NBA fans' game plan: Be patient | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/nba-fans-game-plan-be-patient/article/3270656/?tm=1216178891)

AFCM
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Say my name, b*tch!

LordGerald
07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
The ownership group has operated without loose lips ever since they emerged on the NBA scene. They bought the team as a shocker, and settled as a surprise. Why would it be so hard to believe that they've been working with the NBA for 22 months on a new team name, mark and colours?

Just because an NBA spokesman said it, doesn't mean that it takes that long. PR people lie ALL THE TIME.

I would assume the ownership has had this planned for sometime now. Trust them. The team name won't be stupid, and you'll grow to love it.

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Not good PR policy to not have the name AND logo ready at announcement time. Again, it would be nice have a name when scheduling, but the location is all that matters when making a schedule. We already have and are the location. Again this is all about IMAGE or BRANDING. Don't build a half ass brand by announcing the name upfront but don't have a logo ready for 2 months. Geez, could you imagine the national flack we'd get in the press (especially in Seattle) by not being completely ready at announcement time. The dumb redneck Okies are so eager to announce their team name, they don't have colors and logo's picked yet. A business of this caliber shouldn't and won't operate that way.

Jeez, don't get all over me about it. Okay, okay....name & LOGO now, then everything else later! Sorry bro, I only had one marketing class when I was in college and that was a long time ago...

jbrown84
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/31/61708841_fad8765a59.jpg?v=0
Say my name Bastian! Say my name. PLEASE!

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
The ownership group has operated without loose lips ever since they emerged on the NBA scene. They bought the team as a shocker, and settled as a surprise. Why would it be so hard to believe that they've been working with the NBA for 22 months on a new team name, mark and colours?

Just because an NBA spokesman said it, doesn't mean that it takes that long. PR people lie ALL THE TIME.

I would assume the ownership has had this planned for sometime now. Trust them. The team name won't be stupid, and you'll grow to love it.

Yes, and we all know that as talked about in the court session a few weeks ago, Clay Bennett & company's sole mission was to move this team to our city. I'm positive, as of the day they acquired their sales receipt it was that same day they started working on the new team name.

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/31/61708841_fad8765a59.jpg?v=0
Say my name Bastian! Say my name. PLEASE!

What was her name?

UnFrSaKn
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Moonchild.

...wow we're off topic now.

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
The Oklahoma City MoonChildS??

Yippeee!!!

:Smiley122 J/K

Jeopardude
07-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I just saw one of the minority owners and he let slip the new name.

You're going to LOVE IT!!

;)

Rover
07-16-2008, 04:16 PM
OKay, that's just mean. Now you HAVE to let us know! We won't tell anyone.

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 04:17 PM

;)

And he just got in to my cab...yes I have wi-fi in my cab!

Like we're going to believe you!

Karried
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Speaking of off topic. the Neverending Story is one of my all time favorite movies..

I agree, the title is misleading.... I was so excited this morning when I first saw it.

OKCMallen
07-16-2008, 04:34 PM

;)

Hahah whatever.

Kerry
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Say my name, b*tch!

Bettlejuice
Bettlejuice
Bettlejuice

MonkeesFan
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Speaking of off topic. the Neverending Story is one of my all time favorite movies..

I agree, the title is misleading.... I was so excited this morning when I first saw it.

Same here, I do like the sequel better than the original and part 3 is just a horrible disaster

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Same here, I do like the sequel better than the original and part 3 is just a horrible disaster

The sequel was lamo...Sidekicks/Seaquest DSV boy as Sebastian just didn't work for me. Then again, I was much older when the sequel came out. And then this third one, didn't it have Jack Black in it? Never saw it, but heard that...

MonkeesFan
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
The sequel was lamo...Sidekicks/Seaquest DSV boy as Sebastian just didn't work for me. Then again, I was much older when the sequel came out. And then this third one, didn't it have Jack Black in it? Never saw it, but heard that...

I thought Jonathan Brandis did a good job in that movie, yeah, the 3rd one has Jack Black in it

Jeopardude
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hahah whatever.

You're wise and astute. The owner said nothing.

Martin
07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
since we're waaaaay off topic anyway....

i can never watch neverending story ever again. (http://www.videoclipped.com/video.php?title=Robot_Chicken_Neverending_Party)

-M

Thunder
07-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Topic thread isn't misleading. We do have the name for the team. It was reported to had already been signed off. Soon, they will announce what it is. I'm just puzzled that whoever have some sort of connection isn't giving OKCTalk the first scoop!

Nixon7
07-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I heard we may not know anything until late September because of the NBA orsomething. Anyone hear this?

NativeOkie
07-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Its a vast conspiracy.
globetrotters would not allow the prairie trotters.
everywhere they turn a name is chosen then lost.it is the same with the car tags all that was left is ok.
Oh THE HUMANITY of it ALL.

Luke
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I heard we may not know anything until late September because of the NBA orsomething. Anyone hear this?

I heard that just a few posts ago, actually.

SoonerDave
07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I heard that just a few posts ago, actually.

Uhoh, someone's been listening to Deano again....there's only a 50-50 chance anything he says is reliable....but there's only a 30% chance of that...

Midtowner
07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know how many times I've come close to posting a "No Really! We Really Have a New Team Name!!!" thread..

Someone should rename this thread "false alarm -- listened to Bob Barry"

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Greaaaaat...Now I've got Lamar stuck in my head.

Neverending storr-oor-eeeeee aaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa

*SLAMS HEAD ON DESK*

edcrunk
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
jeremy dawson (of SHINY TOY GUNS) used to play that fakkin song all the damn time.

*so ghey, so annoying*

anyways, there is a great article in the newsok sport section that answers every question about the new name. i would post a link for all you lazy mother scracthers if i hadn't fuct up my computer (and wasn't on my smartphone).
check it out!

solitude
07-17-2008, 03:50 AM
jeremy dawson (of SHINY TOY GUNS) used to play that fakkin song all the damn time.

*so ghey, so annoying*

anyways, there is a great article in the newsok sport section that answers every question about the new name. i would post a link for all you lazy mother scracthers if i hadn't fuct up my computer (and wasn't on my smartphone).
check it out!

You're right, Ed. There's actually a few good pieces from the Oklahoman today:

NBA in OKC: Still searching for the perfect nickname (http://newsok.com/article/3271084)

It's time for NBA to get on the ball (http://newsok.com/its-time-for-nba-to-get-on-the-ball/article/3271072/?tm=1216271805)

Oh, just look at all the NBA name possibilities (http://newsok.com/oh-just-look-at-all-the-nba-name-possibilities-.../article/3271148/?tm=1216265375) This is an A-Z listing of every name suggested by readers.

Interesting reading. Thanks, Ed.

edcrunk
07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
You're right, Ed. There's actually a few good pieces from the Oklahoman today:

NBA in OKC: Still searching for the perfect nickname (http://newsok.com/article/3271084)

It's time for NBA to get on the ball (http://newsok.com/its-time-for-nba-to-get-on-the-ball/article/3271072/?tm=1216271805)

Oh, just look at all the NBA name possibilities (http://newsok.com/oh-just-look-at-all-the-nba-name-possibilities-.../article/3271148/?tm=1216265375) This is an A-Z listing of every name suggested by readers.

Interesting reading. Thanks, Ed.

thank you for posting those links. the first story was the one that was up last night / this morning. however, i was the mothertrucker being lazy (since i didn't want to write the addy down and post the link) and on the verge of falling out.
i'm gonna check out the 2 other stories you listed right now.

bluepickle
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
For what it's worth Mark Shannon is reporting it is the Thunderbirds, blech!

Intrepid
07-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Link? Source?

I know who Mark Shannon is, but I'm curious to know how he says he knows and what his sources are.

OKCMallen
07-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Link!? Where!??!

OKCMallen
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I like the Thunderbirds! It can be T-birds for short, fairly unique, nod tot he 45th, and a subtle nod to our native american roots!

Karried
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Channel 5 is Stating that a Registered Domain is pointing to OKC Thunder. Registered July 18 ...

BDP
07-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not even sure what that means. Sounds like Channel 5 is none too familiar with this google web thingy.

I'm pretty sure all the names that have been discussed are registered, anyway, and probably by bulk registrars and/or with private registration. I doubt anyone could find any definitive information in the WHOIS database. It's even possible to redirect any domain to the Sonic's website... even if for just a little bit.

Karried
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Says it's the only Registration affilitated with the NBA, Corporate Domain, inc ( something like that ) out of all of the hundreds of others registered, this is the only one affiliated.

OKC Thunder

BDP
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, I guess that's something... sort of.

Here's their take:

Signs Point To Oklahoma City Thunder As NBA Team Name - Sports News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/sports/16925692/detail.html)

Man, this is kind of an easy news cycle for the locals. Any little nugget they can find or dream up about the name and they put it out there.

I honestly think at this point that they would interrupt a weather advisory to give us some news on the name.