View Full Version : We Have A Name!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

chuckdiesel
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Somebody actually said that? Suggesting Oklahoma is full of incestuous people living in trailers? Announcers have been fired for less.

All hail mighty Colorado. It's like Kansas with mountains. :numchucks

solitude
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM
There really is an "Oklahoma Thunder" football team!
Oklahoma Thunder Football Official Website (http://www.oklahomathunderfootball.com/)
Even so, I imagine Bennett & Co., if they really wanted the name, could pony up the required money to have the trademark.

Strangly enough, this was apparently first brought to everybody's attention in a sports blog called Deadspin (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=48829a273c70a9b4&ei=q8KCSOWOKojw_AHk9MmWAg&url=http%3A//deadspin.com/5026940/but-theres-already-an-oklahoma-thunder&cid=0&usg=AFQjCNGqrM3pgbMAbhUIxqhPpRIZEm0vJg).

MonkeesFan
07-19-2008, 10:58 PM
This name kind of kills my enthusiasm. It's weak and reminds me of the worst name in sports "Orlando Magic". I didn't think the name would matter all that much to me but I guess it only does if it is terrible. This name definitely falls under the terrible category.

Orlando Magic is one of the best names, you want a worse name? Miami Heat

MonkeesFan
07-19-2008, 10:59 PM
There really is an "Oklahoma Thunder" football team!
Oklahoma Thunder Football Official Website (http://www.oklahomathunderfootball.com/)
Even so, I imagine Bennett & Co., if they really wanted the name, could pony up the required money to have the trademark.

Strangly enough, this was apparently first brought to everybody's attention in a sports blog called Deadspin (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=48829a273c70a9b4&ei=q8KCSOWOKojw_AHk9MmWAg&url=http%3A//deadspin.com/5026940/but-theres-already-an-oklahoma-thunder&cid=0&usg=AFQjCNGqrM3pgbMAbhUIxqhPpRIZEm0vJg).

Hmm...then maybe Thunder is out

Intrepid
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Can Oklahoma City Thunder still not be trademarked? It's a different sport, and a totally different name.

betts
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Thunder, let's see a pic of that, we might use it for a team logo.. lol

How about this one? It's from Josh at Hornetscentral (soon perhaps to be OKCThunderfans.com?)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/jlnewby/THUNDEROGLEVERglow2.jpg

[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/jlnewby/THUNDEROGLEVERglow.jpg[/img

CCOKC
07-19-2008, 11:15 PM
It's a little too busy and full of testosterone for my taste but I like the colors and the theme ok.

solitude
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Betts, I just looked, out of curiosity, and ThunderTalk.com was registered yesterday! That would have been cool too.

chuckdiesel
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Orlando Magic is one of the best names, you want a worse name? Miami Heat

Magic, Heat, Jazz, Thunder...they all belong in the WNBA with the Mystics and other horrible names. When did sports teams quit trying to sound menacing? I hate the new abstract trend of sports names.

betts
07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Betts, I just looked, out of curiosity, and ThunderTalk.com was registered yesterday! That would have been cool too.

I hadn't thought of that one. Ah well, it will simply be a bookmark for most people regardless.

betts
07-19-2008, 11:22 PM
It's a little too busy and full of testosterone for my taste but I like the colors and the theme ok.

Haha! Agree about the busyness, but, I think we need some testosterone with an ambiguous name like Thunder. Just leave Thor out of it, please!

solitude
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Magic, Heat, Jazz, Thunder...they all belong in the WNBA with the Mystics and other horrible names. When did sports teams quit trying to sound menacing? I hate the new abstract trend of sports names.

Yeah! Menacing! Like the Chicago Cubs and the Miami Dolphins!!! Actually, Thunder has potential to be very menacing.

chuckdiesel
07-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah! Menacing! Like the Chicago Cubs and the Miami Dolphins!!! Actually, Thunder has potential to be very menacing.

Only if your opponents are 7 and afraid of the dark. Weak.

solitude
07-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Only if your opponents are 7 and afraid of the dark. Weak.

What about the Cubs? Dolphins? LAME names, too?

Thunder
07-19-2008, 11:48 PM
OKC Thunder isn't trademarked, so I think it is safe to trademark that, since the other one is entirely different.

Betts, I like the graphic, so I saved it, you know why. lol It has too much gold, but you have the potential.

I think they need to set up something for people to submit their graphics to be considered or influence on the logo/mascot.

Karried... lol I'll post a pix of the car when I get my camera back.

Karried, I do have an ugly pix of myself and it shows me wearing a 2nd shirt made with Thunder on it. The first one is lost, but I think someone stole it. I had the 2nd one made, but it is not as good as the 1st one.

No, I don't wanna sell my identity! I'm thinking if there is anything that I could do to turn into $$$. lol Post my forehead or car to use as advertisement for OKC Thunder. :D

chuckdiesel
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
What about the Cubs? Dolphins? LAME names, too?

Yes and historically bottom feeders in their respective leagues. Nobody buys dolphins gear, the cubs somehow pull of the lovable loser thing and sell alot of apparel.
Raiders, Vikings, Lions, Jaguars, Bulls, Cowboys, Chiefs, Patriots, Steelers, Braves, etc...those are all timeless names that embrace the fact that they are sports teams not chess clubs.

CCOKC
07-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I know a lot of women who love the Dolphins specifically because of their logo and especially the colors. I know it was my sister's team growing up because she loved their unis. This may be proving your point ( it only appeals to females) but it does work on some level.

Intrepid
07-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Another thing that Mark Rodgers mentioned on The Sports Animal yesterday evening, but classified it as strictly rumor, was that the colors would incorporate red and blue with the possibility of the blue being the same color as the Oklahoma state flag.

He wasn't too confident in that rumor, but said that's what a source told him.

chuckdiesel
07-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Even teams like the Diamondbacks, Trailblazers, Spurs, Buccaneers, Hornets, and Rockets seem to capture at least some masculinity in their name and avoid the weak nerdiness of names like Dolphins and Magic. The only thing that the Miami Dolphins could have done to make their name worse was to just call it the Miami Dolphin with out the 's'.

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes and historically bottom feeders in their respective leagues. Nobody buys dolphins gear, the cubs somehow pull of the lovable loser thing and sell alot of apparel.
Raiders, Vikings, Lions, Jaguars, Bulls, Cowboys, Chiefs, Patriots, Steelers, Braves, etc...those are all timeless names that embrace the fact that they are sports teams not chess clubs.

49ers is hardly menacing and yet it is one of the most recognizable sports teams ever.

Also, it's just my opinion, but I hardly think "Cowboys" is menacing. And we all know that Lions have been historically known as bottom feeders for many, many years.

chuckdiesel
07-20-2008, 12:05 AM
49ers is hardly menacing and yet it is one of the most recognizable sports teams ever.

Also, it's just my opinion, but I hardly think "Cowboys" is menacing. And we all know that Lions have been historically known as bottom feeders for many, many years.

49ers refer to a bunch of hard nosed gold miners from the 1800's so I kind of think it is at least somewhat intimidating but yes it does fail on alot of levels. The only reason that the 49ers are so recognizable really is due to the fact that they are located in such a huge market and have had enormous amounts of success with legendary teams.
Cowboys is not extremely menacing but it leaves names like Thunder and Barons in the dust.

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 12:10 AM
49ers refer to a bunch of hard nosed gold miners from the 1800's so I kind of think it is at least somewhat intimidating but yes it does fail on alot of levels. The only reason that the 49ers are so recognizable really is due to the fact that they are located in such a huge market and have had huge amounts of success with legendary teams.
Cowboys is not extremely menacing but it leaves names like Thunder and Barons in the dust.

I respect your view point, but disagree that hard-nosed gold miners necessarily equals menacing and/or intimidating.

I do agree that Cowboys is a better choice than Barons and Thunder, but we can't have Cowboys....so Thunder it is.

And as for the 49ers...you're exactly right. They're known for their actions on the field and their history., not because they have a menacing name.

chuckdiesel
07-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Thunder could be the most generic weak name out there. Even Barons would have been better than Thunder. How about they name it after a phenomenon caused by something else that occurs everywhere.

chuckdiesel
07-20-2008, 12:14 AM
I respect your view point, but disagree that hard-nosed gold miners necessarily equals menacing and/or intimidating.

I do agree that Cowboys is a better choice than Barons and Thunder, but we can't have Cowboys....so Thunder it is.

And as for the 49ers...you're exactly right. They're known for their actions on the field and their history., not because they have a menacing name.

Exactly. If they were a new franchise with no history and no garauntee of future success and located in an out of the way destination, how many people do you think would get behind this name? Not many, they lucked out being so successful with a huge fanbase to feed from. That does not make it a good name. If they had been at the bottom of the pack throughout their history very few 49ers hats/shirts would be seen throughout the country. Take a team like the falcons and note their history yet they still sell merch. Because they have a good name.

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Exactly. If they were a new franchise with no history and no garauntee of future success and located in an out of the way destination. How many people do you think would get behind this name? Not many they lucked out being so successful with a huge fanbase to feed from. That does not make it a good name. If they had been at the bottom of the pack throughout there history very few 49ers hats/shirts would be seen throughout the country. Take a team like the falcons and note their history yet they still sell merch. Because they have a good name.

I believe a lot of people would get behind the name. Because it is their team and their city. Pride in a team has to start somewhere.

chuckdiesel
07-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I believe a lot of people would get behind the name. Because it is their team and their city. Pride in a team has to start somewhere.

I disagree but it's just my humble opinion.

Thunder
07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
A name is just a name. It doesn't affect how well the players are in the games and their personality. The fans will be behind the team and the name of the team doesn't really matter.

solitude
07-20-2008, 02:28 AM
A name is just a name. It doesn't affect how well the players are in the games and their personality. The fans will be behind the team and the name of the team doesn't really matter.

Exactly, Thunder. I think chuckdiesel outed himself age-wise with his comment about the Dolphins. The Dolphins have been among the most feared teams in NFL history. When I was a kid, the Dolphins went to three straight Super Bowls. They were there again in the eighties. Chuck, have you ever heard of Dan Marino? They haven't done much of late, but I can assure you nobody is pointing a finger at their name.

The point is that teams aren't feared because of their names - but because of their talent. To try to argue - in an apparently serious way - that the name matters is just bizarre.

edcrunk
07-20-2008, 03:02 AM
i didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me. so many people are overly sensitive about it due to the abuse and ridicule we've received from seattle and various media guys.
i wouldn't sweat the name. we've put together a great team and we're gonna be really proud of these guys.

OKLAHOMA CITY
THUNDER

dai
07-20-2008, 06:05 AM
$100 million dollars to anyone, ANYONE who can draw a "thunder" for the fine people here at OKCTalk.
I'll be waiting.....

edit: I know, they were setting up the cheerleaders website name.
That's what it was.

They could still use a thunderbird logo and mascot. That makes the most sense to me.

dai
07-20-2008, 06:25 AM
And the Thunder Rolls .. Garth Brooks.. appropriate.

I can live with Thunder. I won't say I love it, but I can live with it.

I don't care if Garth is from Oklahoma, they should never ever play any of his music, or Toby Keith's for that matter.

If they want to play Oklahoman related music, they should be play something from the Flaming Lips. I would love to hear The Gash being played at a game.

betts
07-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Another thing that Mark Rodgers mentioned on The Sports Animal yesterday evening, but classified it as strictly rumor, was that the colors would incorporate red and blue with the possibility of the blue being the same color as the Oklahoma state flag.

He wasn't too confident in that rumor, but said that's what a source told him.

As long as it isn't the red, white and blue of the US flag. Light blue and a darker red actually look pretty good together. That probably would rule out my hope of a bison logo, though, and give us some storm cloud with lightning logo, which doesn't excite me at all. Or, my biggest fear: Thor

LordGerald
07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
What if Mark is wrong? Baldwin's article was a "one sourcer." Basically, he just wrote that Mark reported it. There's nothing else to it, other than "it's in the paper, so it must be official."

The ownership group ain't talking. A friend of mine works for Tom Ward and he said that Ward won't even discuss it with anyone. I find it hard to believe a "team source" would be shooting his mouth off to Mark.

Don't get suckered in, people. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and admit it.

betts
07-20-2008, 08:04 AM
What if Mark is wrong? Baldwin's article was a "one sourcer." Basically, he just wrote that Mark reported it. There's nothing else to it, other than "it's in the paper, so it must be official."

The ownership group ain't talking. A friend of mine works for Tom Ward and he said that Ward won't even discuss it with anyone. I find it hard to believe a "team source" would be shooting his mouth off to Mark.

Don't get suckered in, people. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and admit it.

I agree that there's a real possibility this is incorrect or premature. It wouldn't shock me if Thunder was one of several they're considering. Although I'm not sure everyone close to the team isn't talking, as I've heard a few names that are supposedly under consideration, and Thunder is one of them. Or, maybe they've got something else completely under wraps and are "leaking" things that aren't correct, in an attempt to make the name a big surprise.

kevinpate
07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
You're there, almost unware.

You know something is amiss, but you're uncertain what it is.

Suddenly, the hairs on your neck are on edge.

Your skin tingles slightly.

BAM, it hits you, ripping through you, and then for a second, nothing.

And then you realize.

there it is.

The roar, the THUNDER.

You and your net, once again, just got OWNED!

Know the THUNDER!

Saberman
07-20-2008, 08:51 AM
I can live with it. When they had the naming contest in the DOK, I voted for the Thunder, but since then I'm having my doughs.

It seems kinda funny that they come up with one source, after all this time, that leaks it to Mark Rogers, right after BBJ come out and says they have chosen a name.

I think I'll hold off calling them the Thunder until we get the official word. I could be wrong.

Just seems to me there are to many non-NBA teams out there with the name.

ddavidson8
07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
No one will worry about the team name if they start winning.

Winning cures everything.

Platemaker
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't care if Garth is from Oklahoma, they should never ever play any of his music, or Toby Keith's for that matter.

If they want to play Oklahoman related music, they should be play something from the Flaming Lips. I would love to hear The Gash being played at a game.

Is this simply because you dislike country music?

Thunder
07-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Isn't any of the players involved with the name discussion? Isn't any of the players telling their family members about it? There gotta be someone involved in the discussion that is a member on here. We need inside scoop and credits given to OKCTalk by the news media. So far, none of the stations is reporting that Thunder is being the most talked about name on OKCTalk. Maybe someone should send the link to this topic to the stations and see what happens. lol

Let say that Thunder is the official name for the team. I've been thinking what they could do at the games. 1, a extremely loud and monsterous thunder on the giant speakers as the players run out onto the court (Ladies and Gents, the OKC Thunder!) with lights flashing as lightning. 2, a short burst of thunder on the giant speakers after each of the team's scoring a basket with mini fireworks (maybe after every 10th scorings). 3, if the team wins, the extremely loud and monsterous thunder on the giant speakers (even longer), with mini fireworks inside the building, lights flashing as lightning, and confettis failling as rain. Plus, a minute or two of fireworks shooting to the sky from top of the arena (outside).

On that thought, they should upgrade the Ford Center to have capable roof of being opened and closed. With the weather being nice, the top be opened and allows everyone inside see fireworks shooting up all around the building.

About the falling confettis, they should add in some mini balls (soft) to serve as hails. People can grab these balls to keep as suvineer (i cant remember how to spell it).

Platemaker
07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
The name also plays well with the nickname the NBA commentators already gave us during the Hornets stay... Loud City.

Platemaker
07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
:bright_id

OOOHHHHH!!!!!

So if Thunder IS the name .... the cheerleaders can be called the Boom Booms!!

Thunder
07-20-2008, 10:32 AM

OOOHHHHH!!!!!

Bouncin' Booms

Platemaker
07-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Or the Bouncin'.......

err.... this conversation could go south pretty fast.

Thunder
07-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Or the Bouncin'.......

err.... this conversation could go south pretty fast.

Don't worry. I'm sure the cheerleaders are all born female.

Richard at Remax
07-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Im not buying the story since none of the national sports sites have picked it up.

Intrepid
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
While listening to ESPN radio this morning, the host was talking about the KOCO report and was basically bashing OKC fans for choosing that name (based on The Oklahoman poll).

He was asking for emails for other suggestions. Unfortunately, I wasn't in my car long enough to hear any responses.

dai
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Is this simply because you dislike country music?

Yeah, I'll admit to not liking country music, but I think most of country music will not work well for a NBA sporting event.

Plus, I think that OK needs to lose the redneck image, and playing country music at our games will not help.

dai
07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Im not buying the story since none of the national sports sites have picked it up.

ESPN just mention it on their broadcast.

dai
07-20-2008, 11:32 AM

OOOHHHHH!!!!!

I think that is a pretty good idea.

dai
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
About the falling confettis, they should add in some mini balls (soft) to serve as hails. People can grab these balls to keep as suvineer (i cant remember how to spell it).

Falling confetti and balls bouncing around? That actually sounds like a Flaming Lips concert.

Richard at Remax
07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I saw that too. But I was saying no stories or headlines with some real solid information has been written. I won't get behind anything until after the news conference.

venture
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Oklahoma City Thunder....

How minor leagues.

Thunderbirds I could probably live with. Barons...too much of a stigma on how the team was acquired.

Granted some of the new teams...Bobcats, Hornets, Grizzlies, Raptors...are borderline minor league sounding names.

Who knows. I think when the actual name is released, even if it is Thunder, most will hate it...but will get over it in a few years.

mburlison
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't think we 'have' a 'redneck' image, I doubt most people in the state would let themselves be defined that way. There are ignorant people with stereotypical views on a wide-range of subjects, they are not relevant. Country music is appreciated all over the world, Canada, the U.S. especially, hardly a sign one is a "redneck". There are plenty of places to live beside OKC if one is too encumbered by the 'image'.

Many places in our Country have Ranchers, Cattlemen, and others who wholly embrace their past while looking towards the future.

The "Thunder" is not what I would have chose, but its growing on me.

We wanted a team, we have it, let's support it !

edcrunk
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Oklahoma City Thunder.... I think when the actual name is released, even if it is Thunder, most will hate it...but will get over it in a few years.
the evidence i've seen so far is that most people don't hate it.

LordGerald
07-20-2008, 01:58 PM
the evidence i've seen so far is that most people don't hate it.

Agreed. IF it is the Thunder, people will grow to love it.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when my brother, who was working in sports marketing, released the new Oklahoma State "brand" and family of marks before the school made it official. All the aggies went crazy because they hated it so much. A few weeks later, the same group of fans was talking about the brand as the single greatest logo in sports marketing history.

AgeSage
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Boomers would be a much better name than thunder. It ends with a s and is actually something. It's also refers to Oklahoma history.

betts
07-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Who knows. I think when the actual name is released, even if it is Thunder, most will hate it...but will get over it in a few years.

The mascot and logo are key when you've got a team without a name that makes you say, "Yes! That's perfect". Since it's not perfect, IMO, a great logo and colors will go a long ways in getting quicker acceptance.

MonkeesFan
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Boomers would be a much better name than thunder. It ends with a s and is actually something. It's also refers to Oklahoma history.

No it won't because it would cause confusion between OU Sooners or the NBA team

venture
07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Betts.

With you 100% there. They have to nail the logo and mascot in order for it all to work. I just have this cheesy image of a guy wearing a big cloud suit with a huge yellow lightning bolt down the front.

dai
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't think we 'have' a 'redneck' image, I doubt most people in the state would let themselves be defined that way. There are ignorant people with stereotypical views on a wide-range of subjects, they are not relevant. Country music is appreciated all over the world, Canada, the U.S. especially, hardly a sign one is a "redneck". There are plenty of places to live beside OKC if one is too encumbered by the 'image'.

Hey there, I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I was just sharing my thoughts. I hate to disagree with you further, but the whole "there are plenty of places to live" statement is nonsense. That is like telling some they have to be Christian because they live in the "bible belt". I'm Oklahoman, born and raised. This is my home and that will never change, but I do think we need to outgrow that stereotype.

As far as country music is concerned, I'll agree to disagree with you. To me, it just doesn't fit sporting events very well.