View Full Version : so i have a myspace for oklahoma city and the park harvey sent me this message.

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
it said "hey, the park harvey needs to be on your page! what can we do to get a picture on there?"

i replied to them "wait out that 100 year clause about not remodeling the exterior... cause it's the sh*ttiiest looking building in downtown."

they haven't replied back.

was i too harsh? i made tht profile to paint a positive picture of okc and for people to be proud of our city.

thoughts, anyone?

www.myspace.com/oklahomacityrocks

Pete
07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, too harsh.

That building isn't pretty but it offers relatively affordable rental housing right in the middle of the CBD.

If they were to completely remodel the exterior the rates would have to be adjusted up accordingly.

Plus, they have some good tenants available to all (health club, clothing store, sushi restaurant) so don't be too hard on them.

OKCisOK4me
07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry, but I think that's hilarious! I'm one of your buddies on there and the reason that page is my #1 is because, you're right, it makes our city look premier!!
It's not a real estate page. Leave the Park Harvey off.

AFCM
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Since you asked, yes, that was pretty harsh. The message was fine, but the wording could've been better. You could've said the exact same thing in a completely different way. Oh well, hopefully they have thick enough skin to get over it.

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
i don't mind them using my comments to advertise... but i'm really particular about the visuals... i guess i coulda said it in a more tactful way.
but can they remodel tho... i thought they couldn't

OKCisOK4me
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
i don't mind them using my comments to advertise... but i'm really particular about the visuals... i guess i coulda said it in a more tactful way.
but can they remodel tho... i thought they couldn't

Your page is about points of interest in and around OKC. I didn't know they were taking tour groups through their building.

mecarr
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
The comment was harsh, too harsh.

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes it was a little harsh. You are correct in thinking they couldn't do much to the exterior.

You're reasoning as far as only showing positive images is great, but I would have worded it differently.

John
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Tell them you'd be glad to put some interior photos of their building up, such as a model apt., lobby, or the like...

Pete
07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Looking at your page, you can see the Park Harvey in a couple of shots and you also feature the Oil Center on NW Expressway, which I think is the most hideous large structure in town, with that awful pre-cast concrete and newer "racing stripes".

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Tell them you'd be glad to put some interior photos of their building up, such as a model apt., lobby, or the like...
john, that is a flipping fantastic idea. i will tell them that when i apologize.
this happened friday night... and i was at a house warming party and drank more than i should of... then i went to sauced (while being very sauced) and friends there bought me drinks. then i got on the web and started talking smack to everyone.
if it was a person and not a business... i wouldn't have debated if i was over the line or not.

but anyways.... great idea.

Pete
07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
then i got on the web and started talking smack to everyone.

Never drink & post! :)

mmonroe
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
well.. it is 4 in the afternoon, i guess i shouldn't post... or not drink so early.

OKCMallen
07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Haha, more than once have I logged into a board (not this one) after a night of heavy drinking and found I started something I shouldn't have! Haha.

OKCTalker
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Whatever happened to: "___ you. Strong letter to follow."

kmf563
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
well.. it is 4 in the afternoon, i guess i shouldn't post... or not drink so early.

ha.
Nah, it's not early.

Maybe I should start excusing my posts with the sauce...

Kerry
07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Ugliest build in downtown OKC? Not even close. There are building way uglier in downtown OKC than Park Harvey.

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree with that.

OKCMallen
07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Ugliest build in downtown OKC? Not even close. There are building way uglier in downtown OKC than Park Harvey.

....? Which one?

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
i'm wondering as well....
i really hate the building on the SE corner of the sandridge campus. it actually has a decent exterior that was covered over in the 70's

BailJumper
07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Is my memory failing me - I thought they could not do anything to the exterior of the PH for historical reasons? Did I imagine that?

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
....? Which one?

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/42.jpg

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/92.jpg

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/files/2008/06/india.jpg

also that weird parking garage between Kerr Park and Dowell Center.

solitude
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
At least they offer affordable living downtown and Jbrown seems to have enjoyed the Park Harvey. I honestly don't see it being that ugly. But then again, I like older looking structures that make downtown look like a real city.

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/files/2008/06/india.jpg

that's the one on the sandridge campus i was talking about. it's one of the oldest structures in downtown.

Kerry
07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Here are just a few of the fugly downtown buildings.

Photo of Dowell Center: View from the southeast on North Robinson Avenue / Emporis.com (http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=250855)
Photo of Bank of Oklahoma Plaza: Looking up the south side / Emporis.com (http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=250887)
Photo of First National Bank Addition: From the southeast on North Broadway / Emporis.com (http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=251467)

There are some others but I couldn't fnd pictures of them.

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 08:48 PM
that's funny cuz i really like the dowell building. i think because of the windows at the top.

SouthsideSooner
07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
You did a great job on that myspace page, Ed.

Nice work.

edcrunk
07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
hey, THANK YOU! i did it out of love for okc. it gets more hits and friend requests than the one i did for dallas.
however, i need to find a better way to communicate that i took very few of those pics... i scavenged them off the net. i try to give credit on the ones i do know tho. people are always telling me i take good pictures... LOL.

and i plagerized the okc wikipedia page for part of my "about me" section.

soonerfan21
07-16-2008, 06:55 AM
just an FYI but those pics could present a problem. Quite a few look professionally photographed and are most likely copyrighted. Although you mean well in presenting OKC in a great light, I hope someone doesn't come after you for some $$$.

kmf563
07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
just an FYI but those pics could present a problem. Quite a few look professionally photographed and are most likely copyrighted. Although you mean well in presenting OKC in a great light, I hope someone doesn't come after you for some $$$.

I agree. The page looks great.

As far as I have learned with internet pictures, unless it has the copyright attached to the picture - which means he wouldn't have been able to save it or it has the carbon printing across the picture, it is a free for all. Once it's on the net, it's open for the world to use. That's why you see a lot of pictures with scripting on the bottom or across the photo. Like my profile picture on my myspace page, it was taken by Sean over at dirtyashtray.com so he just puts it across the picture and I credit his name for his photos.

If they are really worried about copyrights, most people use an invisible carbon mark. This is where it only shows up if you try to copy the picture to make it unavailable to use. Some newspapers do this so you have to buy the pictures from them.

edcrunk
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
i'm not using them for a business or to make money and i'm not pawning them off as my own... so i don't see why they would.

soonerfan21
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I just participated in a seminar on copyright law (I'm not an attorney) so I know my earlier statement to be true. It does not have to have a watermark or "copyright by so & so" to be infringed upon.

Just giving a warning when using photos off the internet. you can't assume that they are free for all when you copy from a webpage.