View Full Version : NBA Team Name

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Karried
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
lol.. breaking Wind... ha,ha...

I'm sticking with Thunder or Thunderbirds...

sgt. pepper
03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
If it's good enough for our quarter, how about the Oklahoma City Scissortail Flycatchers.

jbrown84
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
It's not good enough for the quarter.

sgt. pepper
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
amen to that

PennyQuilts
03-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Oklahoma City Thunderers.

Try saying THAT when you've had a few.

Oh and, thunder FOLLOWS lightning.

OU-bre
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok, everyone stop what you're doing...sit down...get ready for the name to end all names...First, for this to work you have to use the name Oklahoma City...alright now the team's nickname would be the Slickers...But, and this is the freakin awesome part, when you say it together it is the Oklahoma [B]City Slickers[B]

This would hopefully work in negating, at least somewhat the perception of Okahoma being hillbillies and it speaks of the progressive movement in downtown OKC. It would be extremely unique in that the name of the city directly ties in to the nickname...and the play by play guys don't have to necessarily call them the City Slickers...just use Slickers for short..."Here come the Slickers with a 3 on 1"

Intrepid
04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, everyone stop what you're doing...sit down...get ready for the name to end all names...First, for this to work you have to use the name Oklahoma City...alright now the team's nickname would be the Slickers...But, and this is the freakin awesome part, when you say it together it is the Oklahoma [B]City Slickers[B]

This would hopefully work in negating, at least somewhat the perception of Okahoma being hillbillies and it speaks of the progressive movement in downtown OKC. It would be extremely unique in that the name of the city directly ties in to the nickname...and the play by play guys don't have to necessarily call them the City Slickers...just use Slickers for short..."Here come the Slickers with a 3 on 1"

I remember the Oklahoma City Slickers soccer team back in the 80s.

Oklahoma City Slickers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Slickers)

CuatrodeMayo
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM
The Slickers?

uhhhh....no.

OU-bre
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
My brother was on like a 7 year old soccer team named the Slickers, which is where I got that term, but I had no idea they had a pro soccer team named the Slickers. Thanks for the link! I think it's pretty clever how they used the word city already in the name of the city to incorporate with the nickname.

Kerry
04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Oklahoma City Energy

"The Energy are on a 12-0 run"
for a bad game "The Energy ran out"
for a good game "The Energy are running on high octane"
the dance team: The Electrics
for a big win: "The Energy go nuclear"
News headline: OKC Gets Charge out of Energy
Jersey Spelling: Oklahoma CitE

Laramie
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hello OKC2008 (Seattle Times poster), I had to beat up on some of the Seattlites this week.

Are you in Tampa or Orlando?

Aubrey McClendon would buy into this in a heart beat, I don't know if there would be a problem with the NBA.

When the Grizzlies moved to Memphis they petitioned to rename the team The Memphis Express--Federal Express was prepared to give the money for renaming the team. The NBA approved the naming of the new Memphis arena (Fed Ex Forum). They aren't ready to commerical team nicknames.

Since McClendon owns Chesapeake Energy do you foresee a problem?

Don't get me wrong, I like the name--this is my number one pick.

jman253
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey I have a remarkable name for them ~OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS~

Intrepid
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey I have a remarkable name for them ~OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS~

I personally don't have a problem with us keeping the same name. But I certainly understand the reasoning for wanting a fresh start.

But, that name may be used as leverage as part of a buyout, where Bennett offers to let Seattle to keep the name.

jmorris
04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I like several names for the Sonics. I am not in favor of any names that are related to oil, weather, farming, cowboys or Indians. I would like the name to surprise people who don't know that much about Oklahoma. I like the name Rocks or Rockers because OKC does rock. I like the Specters because I know our team with be phenomenal.

Kerry
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Larry - I am now in Jacksonville but I work in Atlanta during the week. This is why I have so much time to make fun of the Seattle posters on the Times forum. I don't think there would be a problem with name Energy even if some of the owners are involved in the energy industry. Energy is a large and historic industry in Oklahoma and stretches beyond oil into coal, natural gas, and wind power.

Laramie
04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Thank you for helping me and others update and download "correct" information and to defuse the misinformation the angry Seattle posters were making.

They are about to have a COW over the thought of losing their Sonics.

It was difficult and a true challenge trying to remain positive while someone spreading misinformation and bashing OKC at the same time.

I posted one Doug Loudenback's site and although they didn't admit it--many of the posters were surprised seeing all of Doug's pics of NO/OKC when the Hornets were playing here.

Nice to hear from you again, I thought that was you after reading many of your posts here in OKC, I recornized your style and noticed Flordia as you home.

THAT'S GOT TO BE KERRY!

Sounds good to me!

Kerry
04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Larry - we go way back to the Portland FanZone when the Forest Dragons announced they were moving to OKC. That was in 1999. Time sure flys by. I remember having to defend OKC back then. I guess the fine people of the Pacific Northwest are slow learners. I grew up in Northern California and I can tell you first hand that all anyone from the West Coast knows about Oklahoma is what John Stienbeck told them. Of course, my dad always sad when the Okies went to California is rasied the average IQ in both states.

Bring on the NBA!

oudirtypop
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I think it safe to say that the ownership group with Bennett heading it up, probably cares about 2% and doesnt give a you know what with the other 98% of what we all think.

Deservably so...some of the ideas arent too bad, but there have been some that a four year old could have done better than. I dont have any spectacular names to present, so i am not going to pick any particular names that were stupid to say the least. I think that we have to stay away from indian related names as well as buffalo or oil names. There is no grizzlies in memphis, no hornets in charlotte/new orleans, no magic in orlando, no lakers in los angelas...etc. Get my drift?

Either way, i am just ready to have our team here so we can enjoy the sport. Now, we could have a whole other conversation about ticket prices.

Kerry
04-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Um - Hornets refers to comments made by the British military about fighting the revolutionary war in the Carolinas and Orlando uses the name Magic in reference to Disney and their Magic Kingdom theme park that built Orlando. The Grizzlies started out in Vancouver B.C. where there are grizzly bears and the Lakers started out in Minnesota which is also known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I see what you are saying but ironically you picked 4 teams where their names are derived from the geographic location.

I do agree that would like to stay away for stereotypical names but my guess is that the ownership group already has a name and probably has had it for more than a year now. In fact, when starting a new endeavor selecting a name is the first thing you should do.

betts
04-08-2008, 06:16 AM
I do agree that would like to stay away for stereotypical names but my guess is that the ownership group already has a name and probably has had it for more than a year now. In fact, when starting a new endeavor selecting a name is the first thing you should do.

And this is the way I'd like it to be. No naming contests, let the owners pick. We'll all get used to the name, whether we like it or not. I remember thinking about how much I would hate the names Kings, Wizards or Magic when they were initially picked, and thinking how boring the name Bobcats was, but I don't even think about it anymore. That's what will happen here, once a little time has passed. So, I don't worry too much about what the name will be. And I'll be delighted to lose the awful colors in Seattle....I don't think they could possibly pick worse one (avoid purple as well!).

metro
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
oudirtypop, you better believe there are hornets in the carolinas, I camped outside of Charlotte one time and saw plenty of them! Not to mention as Kerry said it also has a military tie-in.

Laramie
04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Kerry,

Many of the pro-Oklahoma City supporters have temporarily abandoned the Seattle board to let them fight among themselves.

It appears that they are in denial about the Sonics leaving.

Many of them believe that a last miracle will save the Sonics--they base this on previous attempts to move the Mariners to Tampa-St. Pete and the attempted hyjack of the Seahawks to Los Angeles. Leadership came forward and championed those causes.

I admire their ambition and hope.

I feel that keeping the Sonics in Seattle now that the baboon is in the Lion's jaws, it 's going to be difficult to snatch this from Mr. Lion's mouth.

mmonroe
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't like anything to tie the name to something dumb. Like OKC Twisters or OKC Round 'em up Cowboys. I know we have a western heritage, but come on, lets move into the modern age.

Hate replies welcomed. lol

CuatrodeMayo
04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Agreed. Although I can live with a good weather name.

okclee
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I like the names.

Barons
or
Aviators

mmonroe
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
When I attended SNU, I heard we had changed all sports teams to weather related entities like "Crimson Storm" because well.. and I may be mistaken, we were called the braves or something to do with American Indian heritage and someone suggested that it was offensive to them, so they changed our name.

I say that to bring in the fact that weather is or may be our biggest point of interest here in the state, but everyone's doing it. I do enjoy the name "Blazers" for our hockey team, it was unique and original. Something like that would get my interest in it.

metro
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
SNU's old Mascot was the Redskins, and you are right, at the time a few years back, there was a big PR sweep nationally to remove Native American names from sports teams.

jbrown84
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
OCU also changed from the Chiefs to the Stars.

kevinpate
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
back in the day, and for a spell before and after my days at the campus, NSU Riverhawks were the NSU Redmen, and the NEOSU Redmen before that

Lurker34
04-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Heard one of the sportscasters mention that the new team will be named after Oklahoma City, not the state. Will this hurt support coming from outside the metro area? Or will they also embrace the new team. Don't know about a name, although I'm partial to Oklahoma City Outlaws or Oklahoma City Thunder. :ou2

kevinpate
04-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think the final name matters more than one iota to anyone outside 9 or so % of folks in OKC proper (including those in the nearest burbs who self-id as OKC rather than self id by their address, be that bethany, warr acres, etc. etc. etc.

Folks just wanna see some round ball, even non roundball fans like me are interested. The name appears to be a big deal to a vocal mini-minority, but that's about it.

jbrown84
04-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Tell me this Lurker.

If you lived in Lawton, and you wanted to see an NBA game, would it bother you that the name is Oklahoma City Whatevers?

I don't think it will be a problem at all.

mmonroe
04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
I think more or less that having "City" in the name will be more of a location area for people outside the state to know where the team is officially located. If it's just Oklahoma, some outsiders may wonder if it's OKC or Tulsa... not much of a chance, but still a possibility and another angle to look at.

okiebadger
04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Tell me this Lurker.

If you lived in Lawton, and you wanted to see an NBA game, would it bother you that the name is Oklahoma City Whatevers?

I don't think it will be a problem at all.

I live in Enid. There is no problem for me. How about Oklahoma City Sidewinders?

mmonroe
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't like anything to tie the name to something dumb. Like OKC Twisters or OKC Round 'em up Cowboys. I know we have a western heritage, but come on, lets move into the modern age.

Hate replies welcomed. lol

When I attended SNU, I heard we had changed all sports teams to weather related entities like "Crimson Storm" because well.. and I may be mistaken, we were called the braves or something to do with American Indian heritage and someone suggested that it was offensive to them, so they changed our name.

I say that to bring in the fact that weather is or may be our biggest point of interest here in the state, but everyone's doing it. I do enjoy the name "Blazers" for our hockey team, it was unique and original. Something like that would get my interest in it.

Nixon7
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
The Oklahoma United.

OUfan104
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
The best name I've heard proposed is "OKC Fuel". It's seems like a perfect fit for Oklahoma City as well as the entire state of Oklahoma.

OKCfanOFtheNBA
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
The best name I've heard proposed is "OKC Fuel". It's seems like a perfect fit for Oklahoma City as well as the entire state of Oklahoma.

I love it. OKC Fuel would be awesome. It lacks the bush league quality of so many of the other names. Also, it still has some of the implied oil and gas themes that Tom Ward and Aubrey McClendon are sure to appreciate.

Give me Fuel, give me fire...

Now we need to work on logo design!

Karried
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I have to agree... I was thinking about it... I actually sort of like Oklahoma City Fuel ... but aren't most names plural?

OKC Charcoal Briquettes?

okiebadger
04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I have to agree... I was thinking about it... I actually sort of like Oklahoma City Fuel ... but aren't most names plural?

OKC Charcoal Briquettes?

Nah!! The Briquettes would be the dance team

Karried
04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
lol...that could work!

OKCfanOFtheNBA
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM

OKC Charcoal Briquettes?

There are a number of singular names in sports, especially in the NBA. The ones I can think of are:

The Orlando Magic
The Miami Heat
The Utah Jazz

Oklahoma City Fuel

It would be great!

Bunty
05-31-2008, 01:44 AM

Yeah, if you really mean "OKC Fool" Seriously, that's a real bad name because there's always gonna be a bunch of people thinking your really saying "OKC Fool", or the "Oklahoma City Fools."

Blazerfan11
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Charlatans

krazyblakk
07-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Okc Dash,glyders Or Stomp

TornadoesFan
07-03-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't know about the OKC Fuel, especially with the raising fuel prices. It has an instant negative conotation. That would apply more so for fans outside of OK but the NBA will be thinking about marketing on a domestic and international scale. I don't think they will approve Fuel for the team name.

The best one I have heard recently is Oklahoma City Vortex which is a different play on Tornadoes.

so1rfan
07-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Barons sounds like Barrens to me. Dislike that name the most. However we could call the female dance team the Bare-ems...

TornadoesFan
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Barons sounds like Barrens to me. Dislike that name the most. However we could call the female dance team the Bare-ems...

Yeah, I don't like Barons much either. The black and gold needs to go too. It's difficult to imagine all the black that would be involved in a playoff series between OKC and San Antonio.

BFizzy
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Regulators... MOUNT UP!!!

It covers both western and hip-hop themes.

Karried
07-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Regulators reminds me of Prunes, Fiber, Kaopectate or Exlax.... but that is just what comes to mind when I hear it.

I like Vortex as well..

I know people like the name Tornadoes but I worry about that negative connotation as well.. Vortex might be the same category but maybe not quite as violent.

This is hard... I'm just hoping and praying we don't end up with a cheesy name but if you look at all the NBA names, a lot of them are pretty lame.

TornadoesFan
07-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I like Vortex as well..

I know people like the name Tornadoes but I worry about that negative connotation as well.. Vortex might be the same category but maybe not quite as violent.

I agree with you on both points. Vortex is a different take on tornadoes which do identify the region, but veer enough to avoid the life-changing consequences people may think of when they hear OKC Tornadoes. I'm in favor of Vortex or Tornadoes with a slight lean towards the Oklahoma City Vortex.

Tackleberry
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Another tribute to the aviation industry/history of Oklahoma:

OKC Afterburners

psamwel
07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I think we should go with "OKC Sausages" to support our western counties hog industry......colors, naturally would be "Blue & Gold"...hahahahahah

angel27
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
You would think this wouldn't be so hard... that there is a name of something that instantly identifies us.. unites us.. OU Sooners are powerful because they have made themselves so. And it describes where we began. OSU Cowboys. Oklahoma City Blazers.. Oklahoma City .. up and coming.. forward momentum.. suprising.. powerful.. gathering steam.. helpful.. the landrush all over again.. this time with focus.. .. what name will give tribute to all of this?

CuatrodeMayo
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Taking a page from soccer...OKC United.

therebel
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Given the recent news reports (Owner: Goal to move Sonics to OKC (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2972255)), I think it's appropriate to discuss the team name now. The Oklahoma City SuperSonics just won't work. My vote is for the Oklahoma City Tornadoes. What do you think? Do you have a suggestion?

How about the OKC Storm?

jbrown84
07-03-2008, 12:22 PM
The Storm is Seattle's WNBA team.

cedbled
07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
OKC Riders

connects with RoughRiders (or maybe RR is a good name?)
connects with western theme without being too campy

CuatrodeMayo
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Whatever the name is, I propose O-City be used in the name.

cedbled
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Whatever the name is, I propose O-City be used in the name.

It will, that's already been finalized.

Even though I HATED the "Thunder", hows about a spinoff?
OKC Bolts