View Full Version : Norman on list CNN Money's "America's Best Places To Live 2008"

OUman
07-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Good stuff, although I got a chuckle out of "football mania" being on both the cons and the pros lists. Norman is #6 on the list.

Source: America's-Best-Places-to-Live-2008: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/105388/America's-Best-Places-to-Live-2008)

We beat Round Rock, TX and Overland Park, KS. Woot!

AFCM
07-14-2008, 07:46 AM
It's a little misleading to show a picture of downtown OKC on the Norman page.

Jesseda
07-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I have happy for norman, congrats..

kevinpate
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Not a bad place to park. I arrived in 86, fully intent on being in Norman just shy of 3 years and then back out.

It's now been a shade over 22 years. What can I say, I'm known to procrastinate.
8^)

venture
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
They definitely could have searched for a photo of Norman. On CNN's website, they didn't use the OKC picture - so at least they are smarter than Yahoo.

Edmond came in at 52nd.

Karried
07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Sweet! Yaaay!! I'm happy when any city in OK gets positive attention .. it only helps the state as a whole.

Norman is beautiful.. when we were house shopping in OK, it was a toss up between Edmond and Norman. We ended up settling in Edmond because we had young kids and the schools were really impressive here, but if our kids were closer to college age, we might have chosen Norman.

We are looking into buying a small college rental in Norman now, so our boys can go there in a few years.

traxx
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
It's a little misleading to show a picture of downtown OKC on the Norman page.

This shows a little bit more representative picture of Norman.

Best places to live 2008 - Norman, OK - from MONEY Magazine (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL4052500.html)

veritas
07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Not a bad place to park. I arrived in 86, fully intent on being in Norman just shy of 3 years and then back out.

It's now been a shade over 22 years. What can I say, I'm known to procrastinate.
8^)

Yup. I came to Norman 8 years ago and fully thought I would move back to Edmond in a few years. However, Norman has grown on me.

Chefdavies
07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I grew up in edmond, moved to norman, and now I am back in edmond. Bascially, I liked norman when I was younger but now, I can barely stand it. It seems like everytime I'm down there someone its bashing edmond. That is all fine and dandy, just gets old. I'm happy for both towns to make this list. Both towns have their pros and cons. I think the debate will never end between which area is better.

redland
07-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Good for Norman---it is certainly a city with many positives. The text says that "schools are closed on the Friday before the OU-Texas game." Well, true, the University is, but the statement would lead outsiders to be believe the city schools are closed (they aren't.) Then it goes on to say that "the stadium is packed" as though the game were played in Norman (it isn't). Instead of those misleading statements they could have listed some more of Norman's assets. Incidentally I agree that football mania is both a pro and a con. If you live anywhere near the stadium you will know why!

kevinpate
07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
actually, the last year or three, the public schools have ended up closed prior to OU/UT if memory serves. Seems like fall break got moved to that week, yeah, that's it, it was 100% about fall break, that's all. Suuuuuuuure it was.