View Full Version : CNG Vehicle Conversion

BailJumper
07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
The wife and I have been considering CNG conversion on at least one of our vehicles because we just refuse to give up our SUV's.

The problem is we keep getting conflicting info.

KOCO did a story where they claim CNG runs $.90 a gallon and a conversion runs $9,000.

Just this morning on FlashPoint, the dufus of a commissioner Jeff Cloud (can't stand him) said it is running $2 a gallon and a conversion runs $2,000.

Anyone have any idea where I can...
1. Find a map of CNG stations available to the public in/around OKC (make sure we can fill up somewhat conveniently and get a price).
2. Find a place that does conversions (to get prices before buying a SUV to convert).
3. Does Oklahoma allow for inhome vehicle fillups if your home has gas already.
4. If yes to #3, anyone know of a place that sells/installs a home station?

KOCO also reported you can get the conversion for 'almost free' because of federal and state tax credits - confirm?

I'm looking at getting a newer used Escape or similar to convert. If it goes well I'll sell one of our SUV's we already drive. If it goes really well, I'll convert another.

Intrepid
07-13-2008, 09:12 AM
The wife and I have been considering CNG conversion on at least one of our vehicles because we just refuse to give up our SUV's.

KOCO did a story where they claim CNG runs $.90 a gallon and a conversion runs $9,000.

Just this morning on FlashPoint, the dufus of a commissioner Jeff Cloud (can't stand him) said it is running $2 a gallon and a conversion runs $2,000.

1. Find a map of CNG stations available to the public in/around OKC (make sure we can fill up somewhat conveniently and get a price).
2. Find a place that does conversions (to get prices before buying a SUV to convert).

KOCO also reported you can get the conversion for 'almost free' because of federal and state tax credits - confirm?

I'm looking at getting a newer used Escape or similar to convert. If it goes well I'll sell one of our SUV's we already drive. If it goes really well, I'll convert another.

It's not a map, but here's a link to a page that lists CNG stations in OKC. I just simply googled it.

CNG Vehicles For Sale - CNG Station Locator (http://www.cngvehiclesforsale.com/cngstationlocator.html)

Karried
07-13-2008, 09:14 AM
This might answer a few tax incentive questions but it looks like this particular shop has limited kits and is very expensive:

http://www.tulsagastech.com/conversion.html

Karried
07-13-2008, 09:19 AM
This place has inventory of converted vehicles and says you can get .90 a gallon.

http://www.gocng.com/Inventoryaltfuel.html

Found this comment on a discussion board, can't verify anything but thought it interesting:

Morris Auto in Morris, OK. They have a website, Home (http://www.gocng.com). The get them from various Government agencies; I believe ours was owned by the EPA in Virginia. There is also a place in Tulsa that does the conversions but, again, the kits are very limited and they have a waiting list. We absolutely adore ours; especially now that gas is near $4 a gallon here. We get 25 miles per gallon whether we're on gasoline or cng so I figure we are getting about 100 miles for the cost of one gallon of gasoline. How can we get across to Ford and GM that we want more of these?? We have very limited fill sites here but it's my understanding that Chesapeake Energy is getting ready to put in a bunch more within the next year. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif

CNG Conversion Kits For Other Vehicles? - CarSpace Automotive Forums (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fdc3e)

dalelakin
07-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Oklahoma should be leading the way with a wealth of info readily available considering the vast amount of natural gas pumped out of the ground each day. And yet I can find more info to answer your questions for several other states that have little to no NG production within their borders. Sad really.

kevinpate
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM
hmm, a cng spot near work and another near the nightly pillow ... maybe I oughta give this idea some thought myself.

BailJumper
07-13-2008, 09:52 AM
My thought is, if the conversion is cheap/free with a tax rebate, why not spend up to $2,000-$3,500 on a conversion? That's what you'd pay for the overly touted scooters, and I'll be able to keep my air conditioning, heater, rain off and not become road kill.

bretthexum
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Wow is that cool. I had no idea that was available around here. I'd like to keep the SUV as well...

windowphobe
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
According to a Gazette story this past week, Honda sells a Civic GX that runs on CNG for around $25,000; the Feds rate it at 24 mpg, and a gallon is indeed under a buck - although you'll have to fill up about every 6 gallons or so because of the small tank. Not ideal for the long haul, but perhaps perfect for in-town runs.

John
07-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Remember that Chesapeake recently bought the Shell station at the corner of 50th and Western?

Just sayin'...

icemncmth
07-13-2008, 08:57 PM
The problem has always been distance....the other is high pressure fill up vs low pressure fill up. High pressure gives you a greater distance but you have a great risk of danger at the pump..

metro
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Remember that Chesapeake recently bought the Shell station at the corner of 50th and Western?

Just sayin'...

They also demolished it too. If anything, I bet they use it for right of way land for when they finally start remodeling Nichols Hills Plaza. That intersection there is a nightmare and it needs turn lanes, etc.

metro
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
windowphobe, good points. Yes, Honda makes and sells the unadvertised GX model that runs on CNG. The only thing is demand. Currently in Oklahoma the 2008's have been sold out for a long time and there is already a waiting list for the 2009 models but they are still taking deposits. After tax incentives, I believe you're paying slightly over $18,000 for it. CNG in Oklahoma has been around for quite some time, especially in the government sector. I know the City of Edmond is pretty good about alternative fuel vehicles as well as the state is. I'm glad to see more people getting an interest in this, especially the posters above who didn't know this stuff existed.

sgt. pepper
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
They also demolished it too. If anything, I bet they use it for right of way land for when they finally start remodeling Nichols Hills Plaza. That intersection there is a nightmare and it needs turn lanes, etc.
Chesapeake is building a shopping center on classen called classen curve. i heard, can not confirm, that the shops a nhp will be moving to classe curve, so who knows what chesapeake wil do there. again i heard they will build a CNG station. check out the classen curve thread on here if you have'nt all ready.

metro
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
sgt. pepper, I'm familiar with Classen Curve, long before it was announced. I guarantee you all shops will not move from NHP to Classen Curve. Classen Curve is by invite only and will feature many upscale retailers not currently in OKC. NHP will be revitalized in Phases. My odds are on there won't be another gas station built on the demolished Shell station. I bet they will use it as a better entrance to the remodeled NHP. FYI, I was the one that started the Classen Curve thread.

OKCMallen
07-14-2008, 10:32 AM

I live there, and the gas station is still there on the SE corner. Bought beer there this weekend!

John
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM

50th & Western, not 63rd...

metro
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I was talking about the demolished station on NW 63rd and Western that Chesapeake bought.

solitude
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Do any of you know about the safety ratings of the cars running on CNG? I'm particularly curious about the difference between a gasoline-powered car versus CNG in what happens in major rollovers, etc. and the explosiveness. We all know what gasoline will do - but what about the CNG? Is there more, or less, of explosive potential?

sgt. pepper
07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I was the one that started the Classen Curve thread
sorry metro

betts
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Just sayin'...

I have heard the station at the corner of 63rd and Western will become a natural gas station. They do have a construction fence around the ground there.

Toadrax
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Do any of you know about the safety ratings of the cars running on CNG? I'm particularly curious about the difference between a gasoline-powered car versus CNG in what happens in major rollovers, etc. and the explosiveness. We all know what gasoline will do - but what about the CNG? Is there more, or less, of explosive potential?

Neither has much explosive potential. When have you ever seen gasoline explode besides on TV? :P You need a correct air to fuel ration to have an explosion, and in the case of CNG it is almost impossible to get a 1:10 ratio of CNG to air naturally or on accident.

It IS impossible to get a substantial amount of CNG in the proper mix to cause a significant explosion. (Except on purpose.. of course)

mmonroe
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
CNG Honda Civic: Car Fire/Explosion - Dialup Warning, many photos - CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/general/t-cng-honda-civic-car-fireexplosion-dialup-warning-many-photos-7555.html)

Toadrax
07-14-2008, 09:16 PM
From the forum above..

The car was a normal honda civic that had been converted to run on CNG. I don't have the installer of the tanks but the car was owned by STITA (Seattle/Tacoma International Taxi Association). It was part of a 160 car fleet that was converted to run on CNG part of a deal to increase the contract with the airport from 5 years to 7.

Obviously it was a faulty conversion.

..and...

First, let's keep in mind that the car was set ablaze by an arsonist.

Who knows what the arsonist did to it..

Usually there is some entity that investigates things like this.. to see if it was from a bad or lacking safety or if the arsonist somehow damaged the safety valve. The information should be out there somewhere, that crap doesn't happen without someone to blame.

Toadrax
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Which I guess is a good point...

If you buy a car from Honda, it has been crash tested and passed all sorts of regulations...

If you let some shadetree mechanic do a serious modification to your vehicle, it has not been tested at all :D

mmonroe
07-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Those statements are true, I read the entire page, but this is a look at the power of an explosion from a CNG car... it's absolutely crazy.

BailJumper
07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
KFOR did a piece at 6pm on how half the ice cream truck fleet in the metro is CNG.

Said the down side was there are only 3 CNG stations in the metro and the vehicle tanks only hold 6-gallons. Another issue is that very few mechanics know how to work on CNG vehicles.

Hmmm, might want to wait a couple of years for my conversion.

tim22757
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM

actually i am looking at getting into the business of installing the conversions and if that happens the cost will be between $3500.00 and $4500.00 for the conversion depending on the vehicle. cng stations are being added at a fairly fast pace, in OKC the OnCues have the pumps and i believe it sells for from 1.29 a gallon at the ONG STATIONS TO 1.89 at the OnCue stations and yes you can buy a fueling station for your home and the one i have looked at start from 1500.00 to 3500.00.

ou48A
01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Clean Energy Unveils Backbone Network for America’s Natural Gas Highway

http://finance.sfgate.com/hearst.sfgate/news/read?GUID=20375563

Posted on January 12, 2012 at 06:00 AM EST.

The route plan for the first phase of 150 new LNG fueling stations for America’s Natural Gas Highway (ANGH) was unveiled today by Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (Nasdaq: CLNE), the leading provider of natural gas fuel for transportation in North America. The company has identified 98 locations and anticipates having 70 stations open by the end of 2012 in 33 states.

Many of the fueling stations will be co-located at Pilot-Flying J Travel Centers already serving goods movement trucking through an exclusive agreement with Pilot to build, own and operate natural gas fueling facilities at agreed-upon travel centers. Pilot-Flying J is the nation's largest truck-stop operator with more than 550 retail properties in 47 states.

Major highway segments planned for early opening include, among others, those linking San Diego-Los Angeles-Riverside-Las Vegas; the Texas Triangle (Houston-San Antonio-Dallas/Ft. Worth); Los Angeles-Dallas; Houston-Chicago; Chicago-Atlanta; and a network of stations along major highways in the mid-west region (IL, IN, OH, MO, KY, TN, KS, OK, AL) to serve the heavy trucking traffic in the area.

Scheduled for completion during 2012 and 2013, the 150 first-phase stations coincide with the expected arrival of new natural gas truck engines well suited for heavy-duty, over-the-road trucking. Engine manufacturers and original equipment truck manufacturers such as Cummins-Westport, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Navistar, Freightliner and Caterpillar are expected to have Class-8 trucks available in engine sizes allowing for varied road and driving requirements.

“We are moving quickly to build this important network in order to support the new trucks,” said Andrew J. Littlefair, Clean Energy’s President and CEO. “Already, Clean Energy has engaged over 100 shippers, private fleets and for-hire carriers that have shared their operations to qualify the economic opportunity of operating natural gas trucks, which has helped us, in turn, plan the first phase of the natural gas fueling highway.”

Littlefair noted that the ANGH stations are in addition to the station building planned for the company’s traditional markets in transit, refuse, airport/taxi/shuttle and local/regional trucking, which activity accounted for 63 station projects in 2011.

In July 2011, in a major alliance supporting the transition of trucking from diesel to natural gas fuel, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK), the nation’s second largest natural gas producer, committed an investment of $150 million in Clean Energy to help fund the development of America’s Natural Gas Highway. In September 2011, a group of international investors committed an additional $150 million, and in December 2011, another $150 million was invested, bringing the total investment in Clean Energy in 2011 for fueling station infrastructure development and other capital projects to $450 million.

Currently priced up to $1.50 per gallon lower than diesel or gasoline (depending upon local markets), the use of natural gas fuel reduces costs significantly for vehicle and fleet owners, and reduces greenhouse gas emissions approximately 23% in medium to heavy-duty vehicles. Additionally, natural gas is a secure North American energy source with 98% of the natural gas consumed produced in the U.S. and Canada.

Clean Energy (Nasdaq: CLNE) is the largest provider of natural gas fuel for transportation in North America and a global leader in the expanding natural gas vehicle market. It has operations in CNG and LNG vehicle fueling, construction and operation of CNG and LNG fueling stations, biomethane production, vehicle conversion and compressor technology.

Prunepicker
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I tried to do this with my truck but conversion isn't available for it.

rjfreitas
01-14-2012, 07:11 AM
At the bottom of this article there is a list of companies that sell CNG conversion kits:
CNG Vehicle Conversion Kits (http://www.allaboutcngvehicles.com/cng-vehicle-conversion-kits/)

Also, you can install a home pump in Oklahoma City. A company called Ecofriendly sells them starting at around $5000. You will have some initial up front costs converting your vehicles, but the gas savings will pay for that over the years.

Good luck!