View Full Version : Bobby Murcer Has Died

MikeOKC
07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
An Oklahoma City favorite and Yankee great, Bobby Murcer, has died. I didn't post this in Sports because of his importance to Oklahoma City.

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Bobby Murcer, a five-time All-Star outfielder who spent nearly four decades with the New York Yankees as a player, executive and announcer, has died. He was 62.

The Yankees said Murcer died Saturday due to complications from brain cancer. He was surrounded by family at Mercy Hospital in his hometown of Oklahoma City, the team said.

“Bobby Murcer was a born Yankee, a great guy, very well-liked and a true friend of mine,” Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said. “I extend my deepest sympathies to his wife Kay, their children and grandchildren. I will really miss the guy.”

The only person to play with Mickey Mantle and Don Mattingly, the popular Murcer hit .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs in 17 seasons with the Yankees, San Francisco and the Chicago Cubs. He made the All-Star team in both leagues and won a Gold Glove.

“All of Major League Baseball is saddened today by the passing of Bobby Murcer, particularly on the eve of this historic All-Star game at Yankee Stadium, a place he called home for so many years,” commissioner Bud Selig said. “Bobby was a gentleman, a great ambassador for baseball, and a true leader both on and off the field. He was a man of great heart and compassion.”

Always a fan favorite in New York and known for his folksy manner as a broadcaster, Murcer won three Emmy Awards for live sports coverage. His most dramatic words came on one of the saddest days in Yankees history.

Touted by many in New York as the next Mantle — they were both from Oklahoma, played shortstop and came with strokes fit for Yankee Stadium’s short right-field porch — Murcer made his major league debut as a 19-year-old in 1965.

A family service will be held within the next several days in Oklahoma City. In addition, a celebration of Murcer’s life will be held at a date to be determined, the Yankees said.

Murcer is survived by his wife, his children, Tori and Todd, and his grandchildren.

Yankee Great Bobby Murcer dead at age 62 - MSNBC.com (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25654526/)

Doug Loudenback
07-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Bobby Murcer was one of the great Okies and will be badly missed.