View Full Version : Oklahoma City Stampede

Pages : [1] 2

SCHOONER
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
BLACK AND GOLD ,MASCOT MUSTANG OR BUFFALO:ou2 http://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/texas-sucks2.gif
:ou2

Rover
07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
That's really a pretty good name.

NativeOkie
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I like it.

kmf563
07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
It's fine. Is this what you want or what it's going to be? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

The only thing I argue with is the freaking buffalo. Please no.

kevinpate
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
kmf563, would you like the buffalo better if it had a honking big old oil derrick brand burned into the haunches, with lil' rays of light bursting out in an arc pattern?

8^)

sweetdaisy
07-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I REALLLLLLLY like that one.

solitude
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I thought everyone wanted away from the western themed names, no? Stampede just reinforces that whole stereotype.

Toadrax
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Can we keep the name speculation to one thread in one section?

Rover
07-11-2008, 06:25 PM
One of the things I like about Texas is that they are proud of their heritage and don't apologize for it. We, on the other hand seem embarrassed. The west represents a sense of freedom and spirit that says "bring on all comers and let's get after it". I am by no means a cowboy and never wear boots, hats, or listen to gawd awful country western music. But, I am proud to be an Okie and think it is pretty cool these days. Let's be proud of what we are... we are a western state that takes chances and kicks a$$es. We are a stampede.

I like it.

Rover
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Let's use bison, not longhorns though.

Rover
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
On opening day of the season, we could have a stampede through the stockyards to downtown, ala the running of the bulls. This could become an annual cultural event that draws thousands and makes it an even bigger festival. We could have a big time rodeo, Native American Dancing, etc. and have about a week long kick off to the season. What better way to be all inclusive and make this a BIG TIME event different than ANY OTHER CITY.

dcsooner
07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Not a strong marketing name

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Not going to be it if as mentioned in the other thread (where you already posted this) that Bennett said the name would end with an "s"

Platemaker
07-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Not a strong marketing name

I couldn't disagree more... and is SHOULD be bison instead of mustangs...

soonerguru
07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
lame

FritterGirl
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I've got to admit, this really has a ring to it. And yes, the team name may indeed have an "s;" it will just start with one!

For the record, I also was on the Bison bandwagon, although have to admit Stampede has an automatic appeal to me.

Kerry
07-11-2008, 10:12 PM
The difference between Oklahoma uisng western heritage and places like Texas using it is that no one thinks Texans are still riding horses. Even Seattle seems to be full steam ahead using Indian references. Their minor league hockey team is call the Totems, as in totem poles. But once again no one thinks people in Seattle live in tee-pees.

People around the country really do think Oklahoma is still in the horse and buggy days and half the population lives in tee-pees.

Patchy Proot
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I will totally understand if Clay & Company name our very first major leauge franchise something that celebrates our heritage. Keep in mind that of all the major leauge sports ONLY the NBA is followed around the world. When I lived in New Mexico from 87 to 93 I had my own tour business I ran out of my yellow cab. And believe you me, everyone I took on tours wanted to see real cowboys and indians, and to live the American west experience. These were folks from Japan, England, Germany, France, New Zealand, Australia, and many other lands. By naming the team the Stampede, Wranglers, Rustlers, etc., it will go along way with attracting international attraction which leads to tourists.

I too would like to see our team named something fun, different and new. Heck, I remember back when we had the short lived Arena Football team, the Wranglers, there was a contest to pick the name for the team. I offered 'Bricktown Brawlers.'
I thought that was pretty cool and original. But what do I know; I'm just a furniture salesman.

ddavidson8
07-11-2008, 11:08 PM
The Thundering Herd. Like OBU.

solitude
07-11-2008, 11:47 PM
The Thundering Herd. Like OBU.

That's the Marshall University nickname too!

Saberman
07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
This is part of the reason we wanted to get a major professional team, so people would see our city as we do. Have any of you flown into OKC at night, what a great site, OKC is lit up as far as the eye can see. When I see that I know I'm home.

Do any of you think that people that watch OU football on TV see us living in sod huts?

Come on, these are just stereo-types people use to make themselves feel important. I for one agree with Rover, no one would mistake me for a cowboy, but I am proud of our heritage and feel we need to celebrate it.

bombermwc
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't want it. Nothing to do with weather, or animals like that, native americans, and of that stereotypical crap we always get. Boooo

kevinpate
07-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I know it will irk a few, but having thought it over some more, I like Stampede better than ANY of the others numerous other suggestions.

Oh, and I was kidding about an oil derrick brand ... that idea was merely a caffeine overload

Rover
07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I travel constantly to almost every state and every major city and I don't hear the negative OK view that I read here and on other OK message boards. I don't know where posters on this board come up with the idea that everyone thinks Oklahoma is in the dark ages. Oklahoma has gained respect and prestige everywhere BUT in Oklahoma. Why do we insist on carrying this chip on our shoulder? If people believe posters on message boards in Seattle, or Texas, or any board for that matter, believe that the sentiments expressed there actually represent consensus, then you are way overestimating the accuracy or importance of these boards. Try working with the business leaders and civic leaders across the country like I do - ones whose impressions and opinions REALLY matter, then you will see that you have no reason to carry around this inferiority complex and paranoia.

If we start acting like we belong at the party we may just have a good time there.

SCHOONER
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Oklahoma City Stampede's ,there Its Plural Now! For The Stereotype's That Show's How Illiterate People Are. If They Knew About Oklahoma They Would Know How Great We Are, As For Bison Or Buffalo It Is What It Is ,its The Same Thing Call It What You Want.i Am Proud To Be An Okie My Family Is Buried All Over This Great State Way Before It Was A State. My Uncle Was A Luitenate In Homicde In The Great City Of Okc My Uncle Was A Light Rider For The Cherokee Nation. my great grand father was a us marshal in oklahoma. My Scottish Heritage Goes Back To 1120 Ad Scottland .That Being Said , It Dont Matter What We Do! There Going To Say Stuff About Us No Matter What We Do. So Stand Proud And Be Who You Are. Sooners ! I Dont Ride The Bandwangon, Baby! I Drive It!we have the most lakes , we generate our own electric , we sell it to other states like california and so on . we have or on oil. western heritage. country fever rocklahoma in the same town i live in .pryor oklahoma we have alot to be proud of.

crouchingliger
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Oklahoma City Stampede's ,there Its Plural Now! For The Stereotype's That Show's How Illiterate People Are.

Apparently, it's not a stereotype.

Capital Letters - The OWL at Purdue (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/592/01/)

The Apostrophe (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html)

solitude
07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I travel constantly to almost every state and every major city and I don't hear the negative OK view that I read here and on other OK message boards. I don't know where posters on this board come up with the idea that everyone thinks Oklahoma is in the dark ages. Oklahoma has gained respect and prestige everywhere BUT in Oklahoma.

Really? Where do you travel? I hear the stereotypes all the time. A few examples...

-- When I travel I use "GoToMyPC" and am able to use and access my computer at home - I can even use my home Internet connection as a sort of proxy. I can work on my laptop with things from my home computer. Neat service. I have had people ask - I kid you not - "they have that kind of thing in Oklahoma? I have a hard time picturing people in Oklahoma even using computers and being on the Internet." It sounds crazy - but I swear it's true!

-- I once mentioned a freeway in Oklahoma City and I noticed the lady was smiling. I stopped and asked her, "What?" She said - again, I kid you not - "I have a hard time picturing freeways in Oklahoma."

-- I had an executive in Philadelphia ask if most people travel in cars or "if it's still mostly horses." I laughed and he said that's what he pictured. He was dead serious! And then he said something I hear a lot: "Well, I didn't know, I really just don't ever think much about Oklahoma. It's one of those 'fly-over' places you just don't give a lot of thought to." That one is probably the most common.

I honestly don't see how people can travel and not hear these stereotypes. I don't see the ignorance so much west of the Mississippi, but in the big cities on the east coast, Oklahoma City just as well be on Mars. They have a perception of Oklahoma that is reinforced every time we offer up another cowboy image in an advertsing campaign, every time they see poor grammar on TV in news stories (after a tornado or something), every time they see and hear a Berry Tramel or a Sally Kern or Jim Inhofe. And some here think we don't have a serious image problem? Rover, I am serious when I ask - where do you travel and not see and hear this image of Oklahoma? You said, "almost every state," and I'm sorry, but we must travel in parallel universes. "Respect?" "Prestige?" - I don't see it. The stories above are but just three off the top of my head. I could list them one after another. It's sad - but true. If we want to reinforce that image - then let's name the team The Stampede. It's exactly what most people would expect from Oklahoma.

RabidRed
07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I've got to admit, this really has a ring to it. And yes, the team name may indeed have an "s;" it will just start with one!

For the record, I also was on the Bison bandwagon, although have to admit Stampede has an automatic appeal to me.

Ditto

UnFrSaKn
07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Latest Reviews of Oklahoma City (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-191501993-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=Avd53d9cufgm8SJiTkc9ucqpFmoL#125)

Tulsa Tourism : Introduction to Tulsa, OK - Yahoo! Travel (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-809893-tulsa_tulsa-i;_ylt=AvlhUhK1MFSase6d4c0Y_cxSTmoL)

TULSA is a good-looking city, thanks in part to the striking Art Deco architecture that dates from its Twenties heyday as an immensely wealthy oil town. Despite – or possibly because of – its pleasant atmosphere, two excellent museums, and thriving art scene, the city tends towards complacency. In addition, fundamentalist Christian attitudes are hard to ignore; Tulsa is known as the "Buckle of the Bible Belt."

According to this..

MSN Travel Destinations (http://travel.msn.com/Guides/Guidesindex.aspx)

..we're not even a U.S. city.

Rover
07-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I travel virtually every week to a major city in the US, and often outside of the country. I work with some of the largest developers in the country. I NEVER hear that kind of ignorant observation about OK. The exception are the sports fans who either do it to get a rise, or are complete rubes. The people propigating stereotypes are rubes.... just like some of our rednecks think Pittsburgh is still a steel town and everyone in Pennsylvania is a coal miner....or that everyone in California is a hippy. There are ignoramuses everywhere and you can't worry about them. I work with people investing in development of businesses and real estate, and I can tell you they think more highly of Oklahoma City than half of our own residents.

solitude
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I travel virtually every week to a major city in the US, and often outside of the country. I work with some of the largest developers in the country. I NEVER hear that kind of ignorant observation about OK. The exception are the sports fans who either do it to get a rise, or are complete rubes. The people propigating stereotypes are rubes.... just like some of our rednecks think Pittsburgh is still a steel town and everyone in Pennsylvania is a coal miner....or that everyone in California is a hippy. There are ignoramuses everywhere and you can't worry about them. I work with people investing in development of businesses and real estate, and I can tell you they think more highly of Oklahoma City than half of our own residents.

Well, that explains it. Anybody investing in real estate and business would obviously know the 'lay of the land' better than say, someone in the computer industry, the media, banking, manufacturing, etc. I can tell you most of them don't think of Oklahoma at all; and when they do - it's nothing flattering.

Rover
07-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry to disappoint all these posters who want everyone to believe how poorly we are thought of. A lot of people spout off this stuff based on legend and don't actually speak with people investing in and developing this country. It is easy for some rube to spout off an ignorant opinion of OK, but businessmen do their homework when investing millions into economies. I'm sorry if I offended some posters here by telling it like it is. Don't all of you who read this board fall into this pitty party some want you to join. We have a long ways to go here in OKC, but we have come farther than many here realize. Wish they could see what it looks like from the outside.

Rover
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
By the way, we have offices and factories in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Chicago and Oklahoma City and you may be surprised to know it is easier to recruit top engineers in our business to OKC than the others. Guess our "backward" rap doesn't hurt us too badly.

Toadrax
07-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I hate it when they ask you.. "What is in OKC?"

That question used to always stump me..

Remember when Barkley said that OKC was no place for black people? I saw that interview when it was first broadcast and it was typical of the type of stuff I hear all the time anyway...

Barkley: Oklahoma 'no place for black people' - NBA - MSNBC.com (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/11279136/)

solitude
07-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry to disappoint all these posters who want everyone to believe how poorly we are thought of. A lot of people spout off this stuff based on legend and don't actually speak with people investing in and developing this country. It is easy for some rube to spout off an ignorant opinion of OK, but businessmen do their homework when investing millions into economies. I'm sorry if I offended some posters here by telling it like it is. Don't all of you who read this board fall into this pitty party some want you to join. We have a long ways to go here in OKC, but we have come farther than many here realize. Wish they could see what it looks like from the outside.

Rover, Rover.....You haven't offended anybody here. You shared your experiences and I shared mine. That we've obviously had two very different experiences doesn't mean you should be offended or feel you have offended anyone.

You wrote, "...businessmen do their homework when investing millions into economies." No doubt about it. But businessmen would invest on any square mile on the globe if they thought they could make a buck. They're also smart enough not to offend those with whom they're doing business, too. Just because they find there is money to be made in Oklahoma City doesn't necessarily mean they think Oklahoma City is the next great urban center. I agree completely that OKC has come a long way. We just disagree on furthering a stereotype with naming our team The Stampede.

Which makes me think - we're way off topic here.

SCHOONER
07-12-2008, 01:26 PM
What About ,oklahoma City Roughnecks

chuckdiesel
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I hate it when they ask you.. "What is in OKC?"

That question used to always stump me..

Remember when Barkley said that OKC was no place for black people? I saw that interview when it was first broadcast and it was typical of the type of stuff I hear all the time anyway...

Barkley: Oklahoma 'no place for black people' - NBA - MSNBC.com (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/11279136/)

That was a really ignorant statement from Barkley. OKC has a higher percentage of black residents than Seattle.

RabidRed
07-13-2008, 07:25 AM
What About ,oklahoma City Roughnecks

Works for me!

dcsooner
07-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Right Chuck, Oklahoma has a very long and proud Black history. Oklahoma has more Blacks than Washington State and I believe OKC has as many or more blacks as are in Seattle. We (Oklahomans) really need to quit "caring" about the ignorance demonstrated by athletes and anyone else who chooses to remain in the dark. Oklahoma and Oklahoma City will develop and grow leaps and bounds with the exposure the NBA brings, let's not allow others from Seattle or anywhere else to "rain" on our parade. This is a new Oklahoma proud of our heritage and excited about our future.

dismayed
07-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know. I travel a lot too, both professionally and for fun, and I hear some strange things and sometimes rude things about my home state all the time. But I don't know that it isn't anything that someone from a coast wouldn't say about any city or state in "flyover country."

But speaking of sports fans in Seattle, they seem to be the worst. I have heard comments like Barkley's about how we don't have black people here... wrong, our census figures show that OKC is actually a more diverse place than Seattle. I have heard us called a small city because we have a core population of 500k. Ironic since Seattle has a core population of 500k also. I have heard people say we have no jobs here when Seattle's job growth rate is 0% and ours is over 10%.

I guess how this all relates back to naming our team is that I agree most people don't have any opinion of OKC and probably just lump us in with the rest of the midwest... so whatever name we choose I hope it is something that highlights the positive about this city.

edcrunk
07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
The difference between Oklahoma uisng western heritage and places like Texas using it is that no one thinks Texans are still riding horses. Even Seattle seems to be full steam ahead using Indian references. Their minor league hockey team is call the Totems, as in totem poles. But once again no one thinks people in Seattle live in tee-pees.

People around the country really do think Oklahoma is still in the horse and buggy days and half the population lives in tee-pees.

really??? come on now. in the six years i lived in dallas i herd the same things about texas (mostly from the east coast) but i never believed that they were serious. anyone that says that is effing with you.

metro
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
stampede? seriously? might as well call it the OKC Horses or OKC Cows or Billygoats. Come on people, start thinking names with GLOBAL marketability.

Kerry
07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Ed and Rover - I hate to tell you this but a lot of people do think OKC is still in the 1800's. I work at some of the largest corporations in the world and I use a picture of downtown OKC as my desktop background. When I give presentations the first thing people see is the photo and everyone ask me what city it is. They are shocked to hear Oklahoma City. When I tell them there are 1.2 million people in OKC metro they respond with disbelief and say they though the whole state only had a million.

Growing up in California I dated a girl whose parents immigrated from Germany and they though Indians still ran wild in Oklahoma. In 1989 she took a trip with me to tour the OU campus where we were both planning to attend. Her mother was genuinely afraid her daughter was going to be scalped on the trip. I kid you not.

edcrunk
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
hmmm... i have come across people who genuinely didn't realize that we do have a skyline.

i do agree that i would like a more cosmopolitan name.

Rover
07-13-2008, 10:37 PM
You guys are dealing with the wrong people if they are that stupid. Either you are dramatizing or they are seriously stupid people. You need to upgrade clients if this is the amount of "worldliness" they possess. They never watch the news, never invest in or never travel to other states or ever read about what is going on in the world. 95% of this country's people are just not that ignorant.

Rover
07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh, and the other thing about slogans, names, etc.....it is the first rule of positioning...it has to be believable. And to hear you guys tell it, the whole world will not believe it unless it is backward or hickish. Just because you say it doesn't make it real in people's minds. So if you are correct, we are doomed to some red-neck name.

edcrunk
07-14-2008, 01:23 AM
so i was reading tramel's blog and a couple of his readers came up with GUARDIANS. ya know, like the statue on the dome.
that's the only thing i've heard that i like as much as barons.

Chicken In The Rough
07-14-2008, 05:44 AM
The Okies!

http://www.cart66pf.org/images/CART66Oakies.jpg

:)

Kerry
07-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey Rover - here is a true story. When I graduated from OU in '94 I went to work for Rand McNally, the mapping company. On my first day of work I had lunch in the office cafeteria and a group of people asked me to eat with them. I guess they were being nice to the new guy. A woman asked me where I moved from and knowing most people wouldn't know where Norman, Oklahoma is I said Oklahoma City. She asked me what state that was in.

Was she stupid? Yes she was but it doesn't change the fact that she didn't know.

FritterGirl
07-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Hey Rover - here is a true story. When I graduated from OU in '94 I went to work for Rand McNally, the mapping company. On my first day of work I had lunch in the office cafeteria and a group of people asked me to eat with them. I guess they were being nice to the new guy. A woman asked me where I moved from and knowing most people wouldn't know where Norman, Oklahoma is I said Oklahoma City. She asked me what state that was in.

Was she stupid? Yes she was but it doesn't change the fact that she didn't know.

Wasn't it Rand McNally who conveniently "forgot" to include Oklahoma, and I believe South Dakota, in one of their annual road atlases several years ago, since if I recall correctly, according to them, neither state was "significant" enough?

Toadrax
07-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I know..

OKC Cities!

We would be like ATM Machines or PIN Numbers. That would rock.

SCHOONER
07-14-2008, 06:30 AM
sounds like the san antonio spurs did they get a bad wrap?

sgt. pepper
07-14-2008, 08:05 AM
that is total bs. if you fall for people saying stuff like that, it's you you need to worry about. nobody is that stupid to think these things about anywhere in the United States.

Kerry
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
sgt. pepper - you need to watch "Tougher in Alaska" and the Jewel biography on CMT. Most of Alaska is not on the electric grid and most homes still have outhouses. I am telling you there are people out there that think Oklahoma is a warmer version of Alaska.

SWOKC 4 me
07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
that is total bs. if you fall for people saying stuff like that, it's you you need to worry about. nobody is that stupid to think these things about anywhere in the United States.

Actually, I used to work with a girl who was about 19 and she moved here from New York City area a couple of years before with her parents. She said when they first told her they would be moving to Oklahoma she really thought she would have to learn to ride a horse. She told us that she thought there were only dirt roads and we still had saloons where people tied up horses out front.

Needless to say she was shocked when she arrived. At the time I worked with her she said she was really beginning to like Oklahoma City and was glad they moved here.

So yes, stupid or not, there are people who still think that! Just goes to show how uneducated some people are about this country!

OKCMallen
07-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually, I used to work with a girl who was about 19 and she moved here from New York City area a couple of years before with her parents. She said when they first told her they would be moving to Oklahoma she really thought she would have to learn to ride a horse. She told us that she thought there were only dirt roads and we still had saloons where people tied up horses out front.

Needless to say she was shocked when she arrived. At the time I worked with her she said she was really beginning to like Oklahoma City and was glad they moved here.

So yes, stupid or not, there are people who still think that! Just goes to show how uneducated some people are about this country!

Just because you know someone young and completely stupid doesn't mean that's a meaningful sample of the population.

Richard at Remax
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Haha well isn't it kind of a good thing that people expect the worse and always leave pleasantly surprised?

UnFrSaKn
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Let's just hope with the constant media attention with an NBA team, those people will finally be educated. I think that us not being in the media constantly like other cities has a lot to do with the ignorance. And that's what it is.

Kerry
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I think you are correct Un. It is one of the reasons I am glad to see OKC get a team. Just once I would like to show a person a picture of downtown OKC and have them recognize it.

solitude
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I think you are correct Un. It is one of the reasons I am glad to see OKC get a team. Just once I would like to show a person a picture of downtown OKC and have them recognize it.

Bingo. I related to your mention of the skyline as your laptop's wallpaper. I've shown pix of OKC and people are dumbfounded. I wish the people in this thread would not act so angry at us. We're just relating our experiences and it has nothing to do with "the crowd" we run with or anything else. It's a perception problem. An image problem. To deny it exists (and blame Kerry, me and others, because we're the messengers) is what is baffling to me.