View Full Version : Whats going down on Broadway?

Richard at Remax
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I was driving on Broadway tonight and noticed the goldies and grandies were demolished and only piles of rubble remain.

Does anyone know whats going on there? Edmond left this area a long time ago and maybe its trying to jumpstart it again.

andrea862
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Apparently, a gas station. I was hoping for something more exciting than that.

The Edmond Sun, Edmond, OK - Making way for the new (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/local_story_192221634.html)

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Hmm hadn't noticed...I guess this is why Goldies moved to Danforth & Kelly?

On edit: heck yes - OnCue's are very nice...very similar to quiktrips. Glad to see one of those go in, although thats a really weird location, imo.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Hmm hadn't noticed...I guess this is why Goldies moved to Danforth & Kelly?

In a word, yes.

On edit: heck yes - OnCue's are very nice...very similar to quiktrips. Glad to see one of those go in, although thats a really weird location, imo.
If there were other gas stations on Broadway other than the Circle K on the corner of Broadway and 15th, I would agree about the location. In a way though, that whole mile between 15th and 2nd just seems set up kinda weird to me.

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
In a word, yes.

If there were other gas stations on Broadway other than the Circle K on the corner of Broadway and 15th, I would agree about the location. In a way though, that whole mile between 15th and 2nd just seems set up kinda weird to me.

I agree...but I think its kind of a dead zone really...most traffic probably diverts before it gets there...and if it didn't it certainly will with the construction starting on Broadway@ Memorial.

jbrown84
07-13-2008, 04:26 PM
If it's an OnCue, then it's a good thing.

hipsterdoofus
07-14-2008, 06:59 AM
I hope they do ok...I still think thats an odd place for a gas station. Are there really that many people that drive by that area? I would think the fact that all the restaurants closed down there is a sign that more people live on the outskirts now, rather than downtown.

Chefdavies
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Are there really that many people that drive by that area?

I drive past that area everyday, and there is ALOT of traffic, to the point it kinda ticks me off. As far as dead zone, I'm starting to think there will be no restaurants on broadway (from 15th to danforth) in 5 years. It seems like the city council doesn't really care, and major restaurants dont want anything to do with it. Granted it doesn't look that great, but you know. One of my dreams was to open a lil soda shop on broadway in the "downtown area" but I think it would probably fail.

hipsterdoofus
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Are there really that many people that drive by that area?

I drive past that area everyday, and there is ALOT of traffic, to the point it kinda ticks me off. As far as dead zone, I'm starting to think there will be no restaurants on broadway (from 15th to danforth) in 5 years. It seems like the city council doesn't really care, and major restaurants dont want anything to do with it. Granted it doesn't look that great, but you know. One of my dreams was to open a lil soda shop on broadway in the "downtown area" but I think it would probably fail.

I don't know, downtown proper does ok, but not 15th to 2nd ....

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
South of 33rd has killed a lot of restaurants too. Marie Callender's, Logan's, Santa Fe, BG Boltons, Golden Corrall, Marble Slab, etc

hipsterdoofus
07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
South of 33rd has killed a lot of restaurants too. Marie Callender's, Logan's, Santa Fe, BG Boltons, Golden Corrall, Marble Slab, etc

Yeah but that area has problems of its own...been plenty of closings (are any of those places on your list still open? Boltons, but its pretty new)

Bobby821
07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah but that area has problems of its own...been plenty of closings (are any of those places on your list still open? Boltons, but its pretty new)

I believe Boltons closed recently as well. I drive by there around 5 pm everyday and havent seen any cars in the parking lot for a while now.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I hope they do ok...I still think thats an odd place for a gas station. Are there really that many people that drive by that area?...

I believe it will do alright where it's at. There's enough traffic there that people will stop, especially if their gas is less expensive than the Circle K and people don't want to drive all the way to 2nd and Bryant to the 7-11.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-15-2008, 09:31 AM

The main problem with the area you are referring to (With the exception of Marble Slab) is that all those restaurants are right after the freeway ends. You might look for them, but you don't see them until it's too late. With the traffic the way it is in that area, no one wants to bother to turn around and just go up the road to Chili's, Outback, or some of the fast food places. I'd bet that if they were up the road a little, that some of those places would still be around.

jbrown84
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM

That was a list of places that have closed along there. Broadway is a strange animal.

buckt
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I agree...but I think its kind of a dead zone really...most traffic probably diverts before it gets there...and if it didn't it certainly will with the construction starting on Broadway@ Memorial.

I guess I'm out of the loop, so to speak, what construction will be starting at Broadway and Memorial? Seems like I heard about connecting Kelly to the Extenision??

hipsterdoofus
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I guess I'm out of the loop, so to speak, what construction will be starting at Broadway and Memorial? Seems like I heard about connecting Kelly to the Extenision??

Yeah...basically right now Kelly jogs at memorial to bypass Broadway Extension. I believe they are building up broadway and straightening out Kelly so it goes straight through.

jbrown84
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Honestly, it doesn't seem like something that should be a very high priority for ODOT when you have the Crosstown short on funding and a couple interchanges awaiting reconstruction.

scootinger
07-18-2008, 12:43 AM
of the OnCue locations in the Oklahoma City area, it seems like most of them are in weird locations...a couple in South OKC (Reno and Macarthur is the only one I can remember), 1 in Midwest City, and 1 at Broadway Ext and NW 23rd. I think that in a lot of those cases they probably had to demolish existing buildings to build their store (I know they did with the one in Midwest City.)

I wonder what kind of metric they use to decide where to build stores? It seems like in a lot of these cases, they wouldn't get a very good ROI when building stores. seeing how a lot of the time they probably have to demolish existing buildings to build stores (as is the case in Edmond), and build in locations that may get a decent amount of traffic on paper, but really are somewhat crummy parts of town and probably don't get too many customers. I would think that it would be better for them to buy empty land somewhere else in Edmond (I'm thinking the western part in particular) and be able to build cheaper and have a better image for your company.

FFLady
07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
And just saw that the Starbucks at Broadway & 15th is one of the ones closing.....go figure......

hipsterdoofus
07-18-2008, 08:56 PM
And just saw that the Starbucks at Broadway & 15th is one of the ones closing.....go figure......

Actually, no its not, according to the list on Starbucks' website, the only two stores closing are the one on Danforth near Santa Fe and the on on 15th near Santa Fe (next to Santa Fe HS).

jbrown84
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
of the OnCue locations in the Oklahoma City area, it seems like most of them are in weird locations...a couple in South OKC (Reno and Macarthur is the only one I can remember), 1 in Midwest City, and 1 at Broadway Ext and NW 23rd. I think that in a lot of those cases they probably had to demolish existing buildings to build their store (I know they did with the one in Midwest City.)

I wonder what kind of metric they use to decide where to build stores? It seems like in a lot of these cases, they wouldn't get a very good ROI when building stores. seeing how a lot of the time they probably have to demolish existing buildings to build stores (as is the case in Edmond), and build in locations that may get a decent amount of traffic on paper, but really are somewhat crummy parts of town and probably don't get too many customers. I would think that it would be better for them to buy empty land somewhere else in Edmond (I'm thinking the western part in particular) and be able to build cheaper and have a better image for your company.

23rd and Broadway has massive traffic. They stay busy.

hipsterdoofus
07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
23rd and Broadway has massive traffic. They stay busy.

Yeah I just saw that location the other day...I hope OnCue does well...right now 7-eleven has no real competition to push them into having nicer, cleaner stores.

Video Expert
08-01-2008, 01:41 PM

The 59th and Western store sometimes has all 20 pumps being used by customers at a given time. Reno and MacArthur is always busy when I go there, and so is their Midwest City location. All On-Cue's I've been too are extremely clean, well lit at night, have large bathrooms for both their male and female customers, and they offer gasoline at roughly the same price as any 7-11 that is nearby. (Not to mention they offer 59 cent refills on their 44oz. fountain drinks at most locations! )

progressiveboy
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Sure would love to see Quick Trip come into the metro!! I know from previous threads that 7 Eleven and Q- Trip have a so called "gentlemen's agreement not to infringe on each other territories? I find this rather odd? More competition would be great for the OKC metro area. It would cause 7 eleven to clean up their act a little. You can tell by walking in a metro 7-Eleven that they are "franchised". The corporate stores are much superior and cleanier. Anyway, not to stray to far from the topic, On Cue stores are pretty nice and clean compared to what currently is in the OKC metro area.

jbrown84
08-01-2008, 11:30 PM
OnCue is pretty much a carbon copy of QuickTrip, minus the slurpees or whatever they call them.

I agree about them being extremely clean and well lit at night. Best C-Stores in town.