View Full Version : Disney to Build New Theme Resort in Oklahoma!

Taggart
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
From the AB weblink-

----

The Walt Disney Co., in a surprise major press event on Thursday at their Burbank, Ca headquarters, revealed plans for their newest American theme resort to be built in the midwestern United States. The announced project, slated to open in 2011, is estimated to cost over 2.6 billion dollars and will be located in the small town of Edmond, just northeast of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It will feature two major theme parks, five hotels, 2 golf courses, and an expansive new monorail system to transport visitors throughout the entire resort. "We're very excited about this new expansion," said Disney CEO Bob Iger, "We've been waiting very long for this moment and we're glad it's finally here!" Sources close to Disney state that the new resort will unprecedented in scale and theme.

Citizens of Oklahoma couldn't be more excited. The sounds of shotguns and air-horns could be heard ringing throughout the air. "We told everyone it was coming," said Oklahoma City resident Aaron Tuttle, "Now no one can doubt that Oklahoma City is in the 'Big league!'" Local Businesses jumped on the celebration of the good news by immediately raising prices and re-labeling everyday objects as "Disney" memorabilia.

Questions were raised as to how this new Disney theme park resort will effect attendance at Frontier City, Oklahoma's current amusement park. When asked, Frontier City GM Stephen Ball responded, "Sure, Disney has millions of dollars, customer service, decent employees, and a handful of world-class parks. But I think they're going to have a real hard time beating the Silver Bullet."

Construction is said to begin in the fall of 2008. The official name for the new resort is Walt Disney's Aubrey McLendland. Attendance projections show that the new resort's 4.7 million annual guests won't even put a dent into Oklahoma City's thriving tourism market. Oklahoma City legislators are drafting an agreement to divert 734 million in funds from highway maintenance to build a Toby Keith themed gift shop adjacent to the resort entrance.

In related news, News9 KWTV Chief Meteorologist Gary England is already looking for ways to throw tornados at it.

###

UnFrSaKn
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Has anything ever built in the state cost 2.6 billion dollars? People are dumb enough to believe stuff like this.

Kerry
07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
lame

john60
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
If the Associated Press catches you, you might share the same shame as the character who stole the NewsOK webpage template and made up a fake story about Sam Bradford selling drugs...

metro
07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
pretty lame, do many people on this site are "gullible" when it comes to the Disney rumor.

Thunder
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't think Taggart is that kind of person to play games, but for sure, I am really in shock to read this.

Why Edmond? OKC is more suitable than Edmond.

Taggart, where the link to the official announcement?

FritterGirl
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Um. It's a hoax. Can't wait till the radio reporters from Houston pick up on this.

Thunder
07-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I could only find...

Disney in Oklahoma? - Disney (Unofficial) - Families.com (http://disney.families.com/blog/disney-in-oklahoma)

Posted date is July 31st of 2007.

Thunder
07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
As for Disney in Oklahoma -

I work for Disney, in the department that would be designing this. And no, there is no way Disney will ever build another US venture like WDW. They can't even afford to expand the current monorail system in place in Florida. When oil increases, you'll see major cutbacks at the current US parks. And plus, Disney is more focused on big expansions to Disneyland and a huge new addition to WDW as well as expanding in foreign markets that are Disney-starved.

The closest Disney would ever come to Oklahoma would be a theme hotel in Dallas if they decide to put on there, but that's a looong way away.

Quite strange to see Taggart suddenly say a bigger Disney theme resort would be built in Oklahoma and then slam us with the bad news of it being located in Edmond. It is even more worse that Taggart claims to work for Disney and he on here as a representative of the company, giving out false info.

Taggart, which is it?

FritterGirl
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Thunder, let's break this down and read between the lines a bit.

Citizens of Oklahoma couldn't be more excited. The sounds of shotguns and air-horns could be heard ringing throughout the air.

...said Oklahoma City resident Aaron Tuttle

Local Businesses jumped on the celebration of the good news by immediately raising prices and re-labeling everyday objects as "Disney" memorabilia.[/B]

Hmmm...what in this paragraph rings true? I certainly didn't hear any air-horns and/or shotguns today. And how interesting that they happened to interview former KOCO meteorologist Aaron Tuttle, who just happens to post on these boards. Please take another look at what it says.

Questions were raised as to how this new Disney theme park resort will effect (It's affect, btw) attendance at Frontier City, Oklahoma's current amusement park. When asked, Frontier City GM Stephen Ball responded, "Sure, Disney has millions of dollars, customer service, decent employees, and a handful of world-class parks. But I think they're going to have a real hard time beating the Silver Bullet."

Hmmm. Silver Bullet or Space Mountain. Which one would you choose?

The official name for the new resort is Walt Disney's Aubrey McLendland (um, McClendon?). Attendance projections show that the new resort's 4.7 million annual guests won't even put a dent into Oklahoma City's thriving tourism market. Oklahoma City legislators are drafting an agreement to divert 734 million in funds from highway maintenance to build a Toby Keith themed gift shop adjacent to the resort entrance.

Wow. A Toby Keith gift shop?

In related news, News9 KWTV Chief Meteorologist Gary England is already looking for ways to throw tornados (try tornadoes) at it.

crouchingliger
07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I can't wait to take the kids to Aubrey McLendland!

Nice work, Taggart. You could write for The Onion when Oklahoma City gets its own edition.

FRISKY
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Good post. I laughed.

Taggart
07-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow.. Either I just wrote a pretty convincing article with a few 2nd grade spelling errors in it, or some of you okies take this state wayyy to seriously.

It was satire, brought on by my frustration of the fact that this rumor was brought back from the dead for the 5th time in the last 2 months. Multiply that by how many different cities I hear about working for the company, but OKC is my home, which makes it the worst offender.

And c'mon. You actually believed the article when I said:

"Attendance projections show that the new resort's 4.7 million annual guests won't even put a dent into Oklahoma City's thriving tourism market"

I love all of you guys. It was all in fun.

soonergal
07-10-2008, 08:41 PM
get a life! Just wasted my time that I will never get back reading that drivel.

Thunder
07-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Can we hang Taggart above a bonfire?

okctvnewsguy
07-11-2008, 04:10 AM
ten bucks says channel 4 leads with this at 4:30

traxx
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
In the spirit of FritterGirl let's break down what is said.

some of you okies take this state wayyy to seriously.

Hmmm. Definately sounds like a statement made by an outsider as if he's looking down on us in derision.

But then he turns around and says

but OKC is my home

So now he's trying to be one of us. Hmmm....very interesting. So which is it?

Taggart, if you've read these boards for any amount of time you'll realize that this rumor comes up every year or two on here. There's no point in getting bent out of shape about it. If you're in the know then just debunk it and go on.

Jesseda
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
This post keeps going and going and going.......Hopefully we get a disney store in the south part of okc lol thats the only disney that we might see until Halloween ( my little girl is going to be tinkerbell)

Thunder
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
We had a Disney store in Penn Square mall, but I think it is gone.

I'm new here, so this is actually my first time of seeing Disney Resort in Oklahoma. It surprised me and I fell for it. I didn't notice the grammar errors. lol

Taggart, whenever you walk by me in a store or wherever, tell me who you are, so I can break your nose. lol

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
People actually believed this? Maybe Berry Tramel is right about message boards...or the people on them...

CuatrodeMayo
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
WFT peope!?!?!

It's a JOKE! Get your the sticks out of your collective behinds and grow up.

All in good fun, Taggart.

lpecan
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I also heard OKC is getting an IKEA, a whole foods and a 27-story building in bricktown made entirely of reclaimed brick.

While I think the joke is funny, it seems like the fact that people constantly hear the same untrue rumors about what is coming to OKC seems to divert attention from all the great development we have had.

Jesseda
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
someone must of put super glue on my stick because I am having some difiectkyyy arggggggg

okcustu
07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I wouldnt count on a Disney store in Penn they're all bougie now

Taggart
07-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Hmmm. Definately sounds like a statement made by an outsider as if he's looking down on us in derision.

So now he's trying to be one of us. Hmmm....very interesting. So which is it?

Good observation. I was born outside of Oklahoma, have spent a good part of my "development" years here, and now I live in Los Angeles and fly back and forth to OKC. So technically yes, I'm an outsider. But I'm more or less poking fun at Oklahoma cliches (shotguns), okla-celebrities (McClendon, Gary England, Aaron Tuttle), and OKC's inferiority complex (before you flame me on that one, relax, it's just a joke).

Taggart, if you've read these boards for any amount of time you'll realize that this rumor comes up every year or two on here. There's no point in getting bent out of shape about it.

I have read the boards for quite a while and yes, I do know. But as I have already said, that is the sole purpose I decided to have some fun with it. No shapes bent out here - I'm still a square.

kevinpate
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
... I decided to have some fun with it. ...

While some will :gossip: and some might even wish to:numchucks , having seen your earlier mini-rants on the D non-issue, all i have to add is :tiphat: