View Full Version : iPhone 2.0 software update

metro
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Okay as most of you know, the much anticipated Iphone 2.0 and the 2.0 software update release tomorrow. Does anyone know much about the software update in particular?

I have an unlocked iPhone that is not running AT&T for a provider and am wondering if I upgrade software if it will "relock" my phone again or if it is even possible to download the new upgrade in the first place since I don't have AT&T as my service provider. Educate me.

Toadrax
07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't be a fool and update your phone until other people are reporting that they have done it successfully.

People have already cracked the 2.0 software that is already out there, but what gets released tomorrow may be different or have something new in it.

Toadrax
07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh man.. I'm in love.

The 2.0 software is great. It works just fine without 3g on the old iphone, and having pandora all the time.... is fantastic.

Endless music for free, whee. My life is complete.

Toadrax
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Bah, not for now.

I'm tired and done with the pandora.app for now.

Sometimes it takes awhile to go to the next song.

Sometimes you have to flip the information about the song you are listening to (it is a button in the upper right) to get it to move on to the next song when it is done playing the first.

Sometimes you will have to power down your phone all the way and restart it to get it to play another song at all.

Sometimes it totally crashes your phone when switching songs and you have to turn it back on.

Sometimes it hard locks your phone, and you have to hard reset it by holding down both of the buttons and then restart it.

It hasn't gone more than 4 songs without having some sort of problem since I downloaded this app.

Pandora is great and amazing and obsoletes the radio, but it has a ways to go before it is ready for the iphone.

metro
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
three questions.

1.) can I download 2.0 on an unlocked phone running T-mobile?
2.) if so, is it worth doing yet
3.) if yes to the above, how do I download it?

in laymans terms what other new features does 2.0 have besides the true gps, app store and 3g speed?

metro
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
anybody?

Toadrax
07-18-2008, 08:14 AM
All I know is that 2.0 has been jailbroke. Upgrading to the 2.0 software won't give you true gps and 3g speed, only buying a iphone 3g do you get that.

The app store and push email(via exchange) is the only plus side of the 2.0 software, but most of the apps don't work very well yet.

I don't know for a fact if anyone in your situation has upgraded and still been able to use t-mobile. I would try to find someone that upgraded without trouble using your phone and service before I made the leap.

If your phone is already jailbroke, you have access to apps that are in some ways better than what you can get in the appstore. The jailbreak last.fm audioscrobber app is superior to the one in the legit appStore.

If you don't need push email and exchange calendars, there isn't much you can't get already with a jailbroke phone.

metro
07-18-2008, 11:26 AM
toadrax, that's what I was thinking. The installer i have is somewhat limited on the apps though. I guess there are multiple installers on the unlocked and jailbroke phones. I agree many of the apps are better than the apple app store, however the app store has many apps that I can't get that I want. The push email would be nice but not a must, mainly so I could get my work email AND my personal email would be nice. Most of the sites discussing this scenario are wayyyyyy to technical for me to understand. From what I can tell it has been done by people in my situation but it's too technical for me to understand most of it.