View Full Version : Hoax goes bad

Saberman
07-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Story about OU QBs' drug busts a hoax

Story about OU QBs' drug busts a hoax | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/story-about-ou-qbs-drug-busts-a-hoax/article/3268074/?tm=1215657911)

AFCM
07-10-2008, 05:43 AM
I can see where copyright issues might come up, but other than that, this was all just a joke gone really, horribly wrong and shouldn't even be this big of an issue. Kevin Jones' "I have deep enough pockets" comment makes him look just as pathetic as the Conradt guy. I'd like to read/hear about the two Texas stations that initially reported the false information.

If more comes of this story, I guess I'll read on out of curiosity, but hopefully this is as far as it goes.

traxx
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Kevin Jones' "I have deep enough pockets" comment makes him look just as pathetic as the Conradt guy.

If this happened to one of my sons I'd be pretty upset about it. Plus if you nail a guy to the wall for something as stupid as this it deters copycatters.

I never did see the page that this guy put up. Was it really that good that people would be easily fooled? Did all the tabs and links work just like the real newsok.com?

CuatrodeMayo
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Hoax goes bad

Martin
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
http://members.cox.net/magnvs/pics/grammarti5.gif

(i've been dying to use this)

-M

kevinpate
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM

-M

.oO(can't type that!)Oo.

AFCM
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=traxx;153083]If this happened to one of my sons I'd be pretty upset about it. Plus if you nail a guy to the wall for something as stupid as this it deters copycatters.
QUOTE]

...and you'd have every right to be upset, but sometimes you just have to let your actions do the talking for you. Once the story of the hoax came out, everyone knew the truth: Bradford and Jones were not arrested for drug distribution. So, at this point, his son's reputation isn't hurt or on the line, and there's no need to go out on the defensive by taking up an offensive mission. People know the real story. A lot more can be inferred by a father who sees no need to defend his son. It says, HE knows the truth and expects others to know the truth as well.

Okay, so suppose he does open his mouth. Just the "my pockets are deep enough", sounds foolish. Again, let your actions do the talking for you. If you want to sue, do it quietly and hammer the guy. What good does advertising your intentions do?

This whole thing was a stupid joke. It wasn't meant to hurt the players, it was meant to piss off the Sooner fans. Browse the Soonerfans.com Fark board and notice all of the farks that depict opposing players in homosexual positions with others, doing drugs, wearing ballerina outfits, etc. Fans depicting opposing players in a negative light happens all the time, most often with the support of likeminded posters. The guy should've put a disclaimer on the page indicating it was a fake, but he wanted it to seem legitimate. He messed up, should definately apologize, but in no way did he intend or has hurt the players. To take it any further is simply making it a bigger issue than it needs to be.

solitude
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

-M

I have to agree with Cuatrode. We all make mistakes but sometimes it can be sooo bad that it begs to be corrected. When it's not it makes the entire lot of us look ridicuolus. Basically, as written, the subject was "Hoax Go Is Bad." That needed to be corrected; and Cuatrode had the guts to do so. In return, he is the one that ends up being ridiculed. There's something wrong with that picture.

traxx
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
...and you'd have every right to be upset, but sometimes you just have to let your actions do the talking for you. Once the story of the hoax came out, everyone knew the truth: Bradford and Jones were not arrested for drug distribution. So, at this point, his son's reputation isn't hurt or on the line, and there's no need to go out on the defensive by taking up an offensive mission. People know the real story. A lot more can be inferred by a father who sees no need to defend his son. It says, HE knows the truth and expects others to know the truth as well.

Okay, so suppose he does open his mouth. Just the "my pockets are deep enough", sounds foolish. Again, let your actions do the talking for you. If you want to sue, do it quietly and hammer the guy. What good does advertising your intentions do?

This whole thing was a stupid joke. It wasn't meant to hurt the players, it was meant to piss off the Sooner fans. Browse the Soonerfans.com Fark board and notice all of the farks that depict opposing players in homosexual positions with others, doing drugs, wearing ballerina outfits, etc. Fans depicting opposing players in a negative light happens all the time, most often with the support of likeminded posters. The guy should've put a disclaimer on the page indicating it was a fake, but he wanted it to seem legitimate. He messed up, should definately apologize, but in no way did he intend or has hurt the players. To take it any further is simply making it a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Big difference from farking. This was picked up by news stations and reported as fact. If you google Sam Bradford Arrested you will still find news sources reporting it as true but there are also some of them with retractions.

You as what good it does to advertise it, well I stated such above. When they see people take it seriously then copycatters won't be as quick to do the same.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but when it comes to my kids, I take this kind of stuff seriously. That's just how I am. I look at the world differently since I became a dad.

AFCM
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Big difference from farking. This was picked up by news stations and reported as fact. If you google Sam Bradford Arrested you will still find news sources reporting it as true but there are also some of them with retractions.

This guy had no intentions of his story making the rounds on the wire and why should he, it was obviously fake as hell? This guy intended for the story to circulate on the messageboards and simmer with the fans only. Why isn't the father taking jabs at the irresponsible sports radio hosts that catapulted this whole thing into the national spotlight? Also, how is this any different from farking? Both scenarios consist of a real photograph or form of media being digitally manipulated to appear as if the final result were real. Some are done out of gesture, and others are done out of spite. The point is, this guy manipulated a photo and story just like farkers do to NCAA game covers, Sports Illustrated Magazines, Mack Brown photos, etc. Please articulate.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but when it comes to my kids, I take this kind of stuff seriously. That's just how I am. I look at the world differently since I became a dad.

Take it seriously all you want -- just be sure to have the press and cameras on standby so the whole world knows you're a concerned parent...and don't forget to mention how much money you have.

Now are you comprehending what I'm trying to express? The issue isn't with a parent taking an issue seriously; I would expect that. Just don't use the media as a tool to vocalize your intentions and how deep your pockets may be. Why? They have NO relevance to the defense of your child's character whatsoever!

traxx
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
This guy had no intentions of his story making the rounds on the wire and why should he, it was obviously fake as hell? This guy intended for the story to circulate on the messageboards and simmer with the fans only. Why isn't the father taking jabs at the irresponsible sports radio hosts that catapulted this whole thing into the national spotlight? Also, how is this any different from farking? Both scenarios consist of a real photograph or form of media being digitally manipulated to appear as if the final result were real. Some are done out of gesture, and others are done out of spite. The point is, this guy manipulated a photo and story just like farkers do to NCAA game covers, Sports Illustrated Magazines, Mack Brown photos, etc. Please articulate.

Take it seriously all you want -- just be sure to have the press and cameras on standby so the whole world knows you're a concerned parent...and don't forget to mention how much money you have.

Now are you comprehending what I'm trying to express? The issue isn't with a parent taking an issue seriously; I would expect that. Just don't use the media as a tool to vocalize your intentions and how deep your pockets may be. Why? They have NO relevance to the defense of your child's character whatsoever!

Yeah, I get what you're trying to express, but you're not getting me. You say he had no intention of it being picked up by legit media sources but it did. Actions have consequences whether you realize it before hand or after. Claiming ignorance isn't going to help him.

As far as your statement that the media has no relevance to the defense of your child's character, you're wrong. In today's society people are tried in the court of public opinion alot more than they are in the court of law. Sensational stories come out all the time about someone having "allegedly" done this or that but by the time they are acquitted it's old news because of our soundbite society and no one comes back and prints a retraction or says it turns out that it wasn't true. The media is the quickest way to combat this before you head to court.

But I see that you're going to defend this guy to the death and you're so headstrong about it your can't see reason. Maybe if you have children of your own you'll finally see it differently. So that's it. I'm done. Come back and say whatever you want about me, I'm done.

SoonerDave
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a hard time believing he didn't intend for it to be spread far and wide, and then claims "plausible deniability" when he finds out that's precisely what happened.

This guy isn't some random hacker, he's an IT staffer at the University of Texas. He knew exactly what he was doing. I have a hard time simultaneously writing this off as a practical joke while condemning the father of a kid targeted in that hoax for publicly stating his desire to go after him.

You want a harmless hoax? Write a story about someone being caught drinking a beer at a party. That doesn't get any circulation. To get the circulation he wanted, it had to be bigger - and guess what - a hoax about an arrest for cocaine did the trick. This guy searched to find a NewsOK template page, put in his own story, fabricated the byline to that of a real reporter, and let 'er rip. Yeah, he didn't want that to go anywhere. I guess that's why the Oklahoman fired up their own lawyers and sent the moron a C&D message.

Did the hoax fool me? No. It looked in every other respect like a true NewsOK site/article. I recognized the IP in the URL, and the writing was not the best. Can I see how it might fool someone who isn't keen on parsing URL's? Surely.

UT won't do anything to this guy because what he did wasn't on "company" time or systems. I do hope, however, that Landry Jones dad slams this jackass to the wall, if nothing else giving him as much legal grief as a few thousand bucks can buy.

-sd

soonerfan21
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
And the story continues . . .

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-07-15-newspaper-lawsuit_N.htm

RealtorJoe
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
The joke was in poor taste, but I think they the Oklahoman is just milking it for all they can.