View Full Version : DOK Hinting at NBA Team Name?

Pages : [1] 2 3

autoMATTic
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
NBA in OKC: New team shouldn't fight football for attention | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/nba-in-okc-new-team-shouldnt-fight-football-for-attention/article/3267647/?tm=1215607813)

At the end of the article, Rohde writes: " I don't know when the owners will reveal the new name and wardrobe, but try this uniform on for size:

Nickname: Barons

Colors: Black, gold and white.

Announcement: July 16 (day after the All-Star Game)."

Everything seems normal (we all know the Barons and their colors ideas) except the fact that he went out on a limb and set a date. Kind of like when Steve gets on here and teases us about downtown development. I am probably just too excited for my own good.

Would be cool, though!

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
i wonder if that's his thought, or if he has an inside connection? barons sounds good to me...let's play ball!

BDP
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
The Sports Animal said the rumor is currently "Thundercats". I don't hate it, but I liked just Thunder or Thunderbirds better.

Barons is ok, but it kind of sounds like a cajun grizzly.

AFCM
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I hope the Sports Animal guys are wrong. We're already the new kid in school where everyone else, most of which are bigger, hate us. The last thing we need to do is walk in with a name like Melvin or Rupert.

Luke
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I like Barons. I'm hoping that's it.

Thundercats sounds too... arena? cartoony? Something... I don't like it.

Martin
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
thundercats? seriously? whose gonna be the mascot? lion-o?

-M

autoMATTic
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
No way it's Thundercats. That's the Sports Animal exploiting their position as a media gateway for their own laughs. They are probably holding their free-food-filled bellies right now in laughter.

autoMATTic
thundercats? seriously? whose gonna be the mascot? lion-o?

-M

Thundercats! Thundercats! Ohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

sgt. pepper
thundercats is silly...what's a thundercat?

venture
07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Why people would support Barons is beyond me. If you think people hate us now, wait til that name is official.

Richard at Remax
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
this is the reason the thundercats came to light

If anyone has been watching the live video feed of the orlando summer league the announcers there (who are really good) told everyone to email in what they want the new team to be called. one wrote in thundercats and they both got a kick out of it they just started called the team that the rest of the way.

If I remember correctly the sports animal guys were talking about it this morning. nothing more than a rumor. but for what its worth I hope not.

Luke
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Why people would support Barons is beyond me. If you think people hate us now, wait til that name is official.

Why do you say that?

ddavidson8
07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
It's an 80s cartoon. That's what.

OKCMallen
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
My gosh people, Thundercats is not even a rumor. It's what the SPN guys were joking about, I think they also called them the Ostriches and the Orcas. Just being silly since they don't have a name.

http://www.domestikalien.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/thundercats.jpg

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I like thunderbirds ok....barons is really bad.

wsucougz
07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Thundercats is horrendous.

Barons is fairly classic.

dcsooner
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Thundercats is really BAD, youth will hate that jersey

kmf563
07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
What exactly is a Baron? Isn't that some sort of nobility? Maybe the King can give out free Whoppers during games.

OKCMallen
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Baron is a specific title of nobility. The word baron comes from Old French baron, itself from Frankish baro meaning "freeman, warrior"; it merged with cognate Old English beorn meaning "nobleman."

Baron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron)

stlokc
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
If we're named "Barons" won't it bring to mind the term "Robber Barons"? Particularly among those Seattle fans and others in the league that felt - wrongly - that we "stole" this team?

I think "Barons" is a bad name for that reason alone.

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
no, no, no...OIL BARONS...right? or am i in left field somewhere as usaual?

OU Adonis
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
There are several types of "Baron"s.

And someone posted on another board that the NBA rejected the name due to a potential negative image it may bring.

Which sucks, because I think the Baron's would of been a hell of a nickname.

I have a great fear we are going to end up with some lame lame name.

betts
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I have heard from two different sources that the NBA nixed Barons, and anything that has a negative connotation. I suppose they're worried the people in Seattle (and elsewhere) will call them Robber Barons. Obviously, I'm just reporting rumor, but both of them said it was the NBA that said we couldn't use that name.

FritterGirl
07-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Sgt. pepper,

All accounts are correct.

Baron - nobility

Oil Baron - very wealthy or powerful businessman who made his name in the oil business, particularly those at the turn of the century. Think John D. Rockefellar, Getty, etc. Some could argue that Larry Nichols and Aubrey Mc. are present-day oil (or "natural gas") barons. Go see "There Will Be Blood" for a good idea of who/what an Oil Baron was.

Robber baron - again, very wealthy individuals who were the captains of their respective industries. "Robber" came from the idea that this wealth was amassed largely on the backs of the poor, or struggling working classes. (Think railroadmen of the late 19th century). Again, there's a negative connotation as our present-day robber barons are the CEO's and other top level execs. who use unscrupulous business practices to amass their fortunes. (Enron, just about any hedge fund manager).

All of this comes from the early German barons (landowners), who taxed and tolled the people who leased thier land to the point they could barely make ends meet.

No matter which way you slice it, it presents a negative image of us that I don't think we need right now, no matter how "cool" folks think those graphics are.

BabyBoomerSooner
07-09-2008, 10:20 AM
no, no, no...OIL BARONS...right? or am i in left field somewhere as usaual?

You're right. One of the definitions of barons is: One having great wealth, power, and influence in a specified sphere of activity: an oil baron.

With the current state of the oil industry, it would be a huge negative to be associated with it via a team name.

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
well, robber barons never came to my mind. also some "nobleman" never came to my mind either...only oil barons which i thought fit us well. but if it's nixed, it's nixed...just like the name outlaws i guess. is stern in charge of naming our team or what?

venture
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Thank you to all who posted why Barons is bad. :)

As much as I hate Kelly Ogle....I think Thunder is probably the one I can live with the most, but it too sounds almost...so minor leaders. Then again, Toronto Raptors seems off the wall...if you don't give into the ancient history of the area (which can be said for a lot of the continent).

I'm sure when the name comes out, we'll all hate it for a week and then get use to it.

OU Adonis
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Well I guess we can go with the thundercats. No one outside of OKC would get their feelings hurt by that.

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
i guess you're right frittergirl, there are definitely other names. i just never associated baron as neg. like that...but good point.

betts
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
well, robber barons never came to my mind. also some "nobleman" never came to my mind either...only oil barons which i thought fit us well. but if it's nixed, it's nixed...just like the name outlaws i guess. is stern in charge of naming our team or what?

As I said, those are just rumors, but yes, the NBA is quite involved in the naming of the team, I'm sure. They've got international marketing to consider. Now, looking at the majority of the names of teams in the NBA, I'd like to say "What were you thinking?" But I'd also heard they nixed almost every name that had a Native American reference, which I think is kind of sad. If anyone should be able to have a name that brings Native American images to mind, it is Oklahoma.

BDP
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I think Thunder is probably the one I can live with the most, but it too sounds almost...so minor leaders.

Yeah, probably, but anything new will sound that way at first. You can go around most any league and they are full of similar names, but their tradition kind of trumps it. Even the "Lakers" is a goofy name when you think about it, especially for a team in Los Angeles, but you win a few titles and your name doesn't sound so bad.

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
win a few titles and your name doesn't sound so bad.
Go OKC thundercats!!:)

FritterGirl
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
If anyone should be able to have a name that brings Native American images to mind, it is Oklahoma.

I certainly can't dispute that, but it seems as if the sports world in its entirety is nixing names associated with Native Americans and Native American Culture. Look at what the NCAA has done. They are banning NA imagery point blank across the board, and some teams are having to rethink their mascots, logos, etc.

In fact, if I recall correctly, teams who do not change from a non-native american name by a certain year would be automatically precluded from post-season play (Florida State Seminoles comes to mind as a team that might have issues with that).

I need to research it further as I might be mistaken on some points.

sgt. pepper
07-09-2008, 10:45 AM
OKC university changed thier name from an indian theam did,nt they because they were told to or else.

traxx
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, probably, but anything new will sound that way at first. You can go around most any league and they are full of similar names, but their tradition kind of trumps it. Even the "Lakers" is a goofy name when you think about it, especially for a team in Los Angeles, but you win a few titles and your name doesn't sound so bad.

For those that don't know (and maybe all of you do) but the Lakers started out in Minneapolis. So that makes a little bit more sense as far as the Great Lakes are concerned.

Personally I hate Tundercats and hope it is nothing more than a comedy bit by some announcer. I just think of the cheesey '80s cartoon. For that matter why don't we name them the Transformers since they're transforming from the Seattle Supersonics to the OKC whatevers.

If we're wanting to go with weather related themes why not The Humidity. That way when Miami comes to town we cans say "it's not the Heat, it's the Humidity that kills ya."

Since the green and yellow colors and the name stayed in Seattle, I think we should be yellow and green and be named the Doppelgangers.

AFCM
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I still like OKC Bison.

autoMATTic
07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
If we're wanting to go with weather related themes why not The Humidity. That way when Miami comes to town we cans say "it's not the Heat, it's the Humidity that kills ya."

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:)

autoMATTic
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Im still sticking with the OKC Weinerschnitzel.

mecarr
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Thundercats is way too cartoony...It sounds like something my little league t-ball team would have been named. Barons is nice and classy. I still like the 89ers though the best.

metro
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
You guys are throwing out names that don't stand a chance.

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Was there every any mention of any more animal names? Mustangs? I am thinking "scissor-tailed flycatchers" is too long :-)

Laramie
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
The Cleveland Barons was in the American Hockey League for years and I do recall Cleveland being in the National Hockey League using Barons for one year.

I would hate for there to be a repeat of this one year thing especially with the Schultz case coming up!

Intrepid
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
For those that don't know (and maybe all of you do) but the Lakers started out in Minneapolis. So that makes a little bit more sense as far as the Great Lakes are concerned.

The Lakers name had nothing to do with the Great Lakes.

The name originates from Minnesota being known as "The Land of 10,000 Lakes", and all actuality, it has 12,000+ lakes (according to the information I found via Google.)

Luke
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe we should be the Fielders. Land of 10,000 fields.

Sicklers... nah...

Reapers! YES!

;)

Dave Cook
07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Why do people insist on making this a big issue? Team names and mascots eventually grow on you.

Seriously, how often to you actually look at a team name and question it?

Would we today come up with....

New York YANKEES
Oakland ATHLETICS
Vancouver CANUCKS
Toronto MAPLE LEAFS
New York KNICKS
Green Bay PACKERS
Cleveland INDIANS
Seattle SUPERSONICS

and the list goes on and on......

There are much dumber names out there than Thundercats or Barons.

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
There are much dumber names out there than Thundercats or Barons.

not really...

bornhere
07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
The last thing we need to do is walk in with a name like Melvin or Rupert.

The Oklahoma City Melvins!

I guess that settles that.

Dave Cook
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Case in point......

The Des Moines-based American Hockey League team just announced this afternoon their new name.

Everyone......the Iowa Chops!

http://theahl.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Team%20Logos%20200px/iow08_full.jpg

I don't get it either.

CuatrodeMayo
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Reapers! YES!

;)

I kinda like the connotations...

Richard at Remax
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I dunno. Doesn't get worse IMO than the Bobcats, Nuggets, or Raptors in the NBA.

It was reported on Sports Animal that Barons was out and that the name will for sure end with a "S" and it was from a reliable source. So take that with a grain of salt.

Mustangs, Aviators, Thunder, or Outlaws wouldn't bother me at all.

OU Adonis
07-09-2008, 02:22 PM
I dunno. Doesn't get worse IMO than the Bobcats, Nuggets, or Raptors in the NBA.

It was reported on Sports Animal that Barons was out and that the name will for sure end with a "S" and it was from a reliable source. So take that with a grain of salt.

Mustangs, Aviators, Thunder, or Outlaws wouldn't bother me at all.

Outlaws wouldn't get it the same reason Baron's was out. Outlaws would be my favorite name choice followed by the Baron's.

Luke
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
How 'bout the Boomers.

This would be a throwback to the Land Run.

Also, apparently our state reptile is the Mountain Boomer which I've seen down in the Wichita Mountains. So, a dual Oklahoma meaning? I could handle that.
http://szw8895.k12.sd.us/state/mountain%20boomer%20lizard.jpg

UnFrSaKn
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
You know what's funny? A DJ friend of mine about a month ago was joking about naming them Thundercats. So I made this.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/McCoy%20in%20the%20Morning/okcthundercats.jpg

Dave Cook
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Going with the IOWA CHOPS idea - a nice piece of meat - what is Oklahoma known for? What is something that just naturally goes with Oklahoma?

You know, the Japanese refer to square dancing as 'the Oklahoma mixer'. I have no idea why they do this.

That actually has a nice ring to it....the Oklahoma Mixers!

Luke
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Going with the food theme, and with our mayor even calling our city fat... How about the...

OKC Food

Or even speedier ... The FAST Food.

Karried
07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Please, please be right that Thundercats is a joke.

I can do Thunderbirds... but cats.. uh, uh.

I'm still holding out for Vipers. I don't know why I like it.. but Sssssssssssssssssssss.. I do. lol

Dave Cook
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Or Oklahoma City Super Sizers!

Decious
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Please, please be right that Thundercats is a joke.

I don't know why I like it.. but Sssssssssssssssssssss.. I do. lol

:Sperm:

And whadda you know. I prefer Thundercats to vipers. Ha!

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Going with the food theme, and with our mayor even calling our city fat... How about the...

OKC Food

Or even speedier ... The FAST Food.

Why not just "The Oklahoma City Fatties"?

bornhere
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
OKC Food

Or, honoring our other great municipal obsession, the OKC Furniture.