View Full Version : okc marshalls is the name!!!

okcmarshalls
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
NBA.com: Official Home Page of National Basketball Association (http://www.okcmarshalls.com)

MadMonk
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
BS. Show me the proof besides some silly URL redirection.

AFCM
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
...and the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary. Please tell me you're behind the website. If you're not, you might want to register under another username to keep from looking like a person who is easily duped.

Luke
07-09-2008, 08:55 AM
It's spelled wrong. Can't be real. The plural of Marshal is Marshals.

Here's the info on the registrant:

Registrant:
Lucas Lawver
308 NE 4th St. Apt #303
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: OKCMARSHALLS.COM
Created on: 27-Mar-08
Expires on: 27-Mar-09
Last Updated on: 27-Mar-08

Administrative Contact:
Lawver, Lucas lawver5@hotmail.com
308 NE 4th St. Apt #303
United States
(417) 825-4976

Technical Contact:
Lawver, Lucas lawver5@hotmail.com
308 NE 4th St. Apt #303
United States
(417) 825-4976

I decided to get info on OKCMarhshals.com (spelled correctly). It, too , is registered:

Registrant:
Adam B
1402-1591 Riverside Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1G4A7
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: OKCMARSHALS.COM
Created on: 03-Jul-08
Expires on: 03-Jul-09
Last Updated on: 03-Jul-08

Administrative Contact:
B, Adam brettsales@gmail.com
Ottawa, Ontario K1G4A7
Canada
(613) 680-1095

Technical Contact:
B, Adam brettsales@gmail.com
Ottawa, Ontario K1G4A7
Canada
(613) 680-1095

Registered only a few days ago. Just a bunch of speculation.

crouchingliger
07-09-2008, 09:05 AM
"While some folks think Oklahoma City's ill-gotten basketball team is going to be renamed the Thundercats, I doubt it will be something so cool. Keep in mind that Oklahomans are retarded.

A possible example of such retardery: the URL okcmarshalls.com redirects to NBA.com, while similar domains with other proposed team names (Bandits, Thunder, Thundercats) do not. So the Seattle Sonics may very well now be the Oklahoma City Marshalls. Yes, Marshalls. With two L's.

Now, I've never had the responsibility of naming a major professional sports franchise, but I'd like to think that if I did, I would run my proposed name THROUGH A GODDAM SPELL CHECK to make sure I had named the team after Wild West sheriffs and not a department store. But that's just me. I've got a weird habit of trying not to look like a complete dip****."

from: THE OKLAHOMA CITY MARSHALLS? - With Leather (http://withleather.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=6301)

kmf563
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
What a dip****.

AFCM
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Great first impression, Crouchingliger.

CuatrodeMayo
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Hilarious.

That last paragraph did it for me.

crouchingliger
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry, not my article. I just thought it was kinda funny, especially since they included a picture of a Marshalls store on the website.

betts
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
First of all, the double l is an acceptable form of the word. I like Marshal with one l better, but you could technically use either. I don't think the link is any indication, of course, but it doesn't rule it out either. Wasn't it on this website that someone posted that they'd seen several possible logos, and one of them was "a name no one has mentioned anywhere"? That's what I remember, and that's the only thing which gives this story much credence. However, there are people who clearly do know what the name is, and sometimes rumors are true.

I suppose it's also possible people have been directed to spread rumors, so that the real name is a big surprise. Who knows?

traxx
07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
"While some folks think Oklahoma City's ill-gotten basketball team is going to be renamed the Thundercats, I doubt it will be something so cool. Keep in mind that Oklahomans are retarded.

A possible example of such retardery: the URL okcmarshalls.com redirects to NBA.com, while similar domains with other proposed team names (Bandits, Thunder, Thundercats) do not. So the Seattle Sonics may very well now be the Oklahoma City Marshalls. Yes, Marshalls. With two L's.

Now, I've never had the responsibility of naming a major professional sports franchise, but I'd like to think that if I did, I would run my proposed name THROUGH A GODDAM SPELL CHECK to make sure I had named the team after Wild West sheriffs and not a department store. But that's just me. I've got a weird habit of trying not to look like a complete dip****."

from: THE OKLAHOMA CITY MARSHALLS? - With Leather (http://withleather.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=6301)

I've never heard of With Leather (whatever it means) and probably would've never found this blog on my own in a million years but the fact that he thinks Thudercats is a cool name tells us all we need to know about this joker. Like I said in another thread, as long as we're naming the team after cheesey '80s cartoons, why not name them the Transformers? This guy probably has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle dolls on his dresser too. All that said, doubt I'll be visiting that site again in a million years.

Thunder
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
OKC Ninjas and a mutant turtle as mascot. lol (joke)

solitude
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
First of all, the double l is an acceptable form of the word. I like Marshal with one l better, but you could technically use either. I don't think the link is any indication, of course, but it doesn't rule it out either. Wasn't it on this website that someone posted that they'd seen several possible logos, and one of them was "a name no one has mentioned anywhere"? That's what I remember, and that's the only thing which gives this story much credence. However, there are people who clearly do know what the name is, and sometimes rumors are true.

I suppose it's also possible people have been directed to spread rumors, so that the real name is a big surprise. Who knows?

No. Marshals, with one 'l' is the only correct spelling for plural of "marshal" which would be the intent. There is Marshall as a surname of course, but we're talking about a Marshal (like a field marshal) - not a Marshall (like the department store chain).

Hoax.

Luke
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Prairie Pirates. Yes!

Toadrax
07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
No. Marshals, with one 'l' is the only correct spelling for plural of "marshal" which would be the intent. There is Marshall as a surname of course, but we're talking about a Marshal (like a field marshal) - not a Marshall (like the department store chain).

Hoax.

Lol.. so maybe they are naming the team after someone?

Why not make it the OKC Gaylords?

That would be balls to the wall awesome.

Jon27
07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Oh my god, I fell for this hook line and sinker! I'm so glad this was a joke!!! I hate to say it, but I kinda like either the Barons or the Vortex. The Vortex would be really unique! I did hear a rumor that Clay Bennett was trying to get the OKC ****kickers past the FCC and NBA.

FritterGirl
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh my god, I fell for this hook line and sinker! I'm so glad this was a joke!!!

Apparently, so did some guy who called into the Sports Animal. He called Al's show at about 6:45 and said that OKCMarshalls is a site that takes you to the NBA page. He also said that OKCTribe does the same (it does not).

I wanted to call in and say that was all bunk, but thought I'd let him have his five minutes of fun.

Jon27
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Apparently, so did some guy who called into the Sports Animal. He called Al's show at about 6:45 and said that OKCMarshalls is a site that takes you to the NBA page.

NICE!

chuckdiesel
07-09-2008, 09:20 PM
That guy is just cybersquatting in case they do rename the team that then he already has the domain name.

TonyL
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Looks like the okcmarshals.com has changed owners. It's under private registration now. I sent an email to the guy this morning and he replied to me a while ago saying it was sold.

jbrown84
07-10-2008, 02:37 AM
it doesn't redirect to NBA.com for me...

mmonroe
07-10-2008, 02:44 AM
I actually like this name though.

kevinpate
07-10-2008, 06:20 AM
not the dumbest thing I've seen in relation to the NBA coming to town ... but it's definitely a first cousin

kmf563
07-10-2008, 07:22 AM
LOL. Some of these names are great. What if we just called them the Flips and had the flaming lips as the mascot? Imagine! It could be brilliant. Wayne Coyne throwing confetti all over the audience, rolling around in his giant plastic gerbil ball, shouting the F word every 15 minutes! haha.