View Full Version : Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

Pages : [1] 2

brianinok
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Has anyone been able to find many stations without ethanol? I have found it very difficult. The only one I have run across is the Shell at 15th & Santa Fe in Edmond, but I have heard very bad things about that station in the past (getting water in their tanks).

Post stations that you know do NOT have ethanol in their fuel to help those of us out that don't buy into the ethanol hype/myth, because we know that it decreases our mileage more than the $0.10 it saves.

okyeah
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
the c-store by my neighborhood has ethanol free gas. It's called M&D Food Store in SW Oklahoma City....SW 59 & Douglas, 1 block west of the OnCue (at 59th & Western)

flintysooner
07-09-2008, 03:01 AM
I've seen a few signs advertising no ethanol. I noticed one in downtown Moore at Main and Broadway. You might check http://www.oklahomacitygasprices.com/

Kerry
07-09-2008, 06:48 AM
I don't know about your car but I get the exact same milage with E10 as I do with regular gasoline.

CuatrodeMayo
07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
I've been getting gas at the Shell station next door the the mercedes dealership on Broadway in DT OKC.

metro
07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
There are plenty of stations offering gasoline only. Most of them are cash only. I've noticed several stations as well (mainly Conoco's) that offer 5% ethanol, 10% ethanol or straight gas. A family member of mine is getting 20% better gas mileage with gas only. I am in the process of my second tank of both so when I run out, I will post the results and let you know if either fuel faired better. It's also helpful if you use a fuel injection cleaner every few tankfuls as well.

If you really want to get hardcore, put 2-3 ounces of pure acetone (fingernail polish remover, the kind with no dyes or perfumes or get it at local hardware store). Most hypermilers that use it claim up to a 80% increase in gas mileage. I know friends who were getting 250 miles per tank are getting over 500 miles per tank with it. (*NOTE: This is not my official or unofficial recommendation, but there is enough evidence on the web that this has proven to work, both chemically and test proven) There are naysayers that say some cars can't handle the repeated exposure to it for long periods of time without possibly slowly eating away at your gaskets, etc. Use at your own risk.

OKCMallen
07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I cannot even imagine physically how 2-3 ounces of acetone could double your mileage. That sounds pretty far-fetched.

FFLady
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Has anyone been able to find many stations without ethanol? I have found it very difficult. The only one I have run across is the Shell at 15th & Santa Fe in Edmond, but I have heard very bad things about that station in the past (getting water in their tanks).

Post stations that you know do NOT have ethanol in their fuel to help those of us out that don't buy into the ethanol hype/myth, because we know that it decreases our mileage more than the $0.10 it saves.

The Express station @ Danforth & Boulevard...

metro
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Mallen, again while I don't recommend it. I know people who have proven it in their rides. It's been scientifically proven in numerous tests. The ones who try and debunk it, you will usually find they are funded by the big oil companies. Ironic?

» How to Boost Your Gas Mileage with Acetone » Blog Archive* *Alice Hill’s Real Tech News - Independent Tech (http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2598)

Tristition - Improving Gas Mileage: Fact vs. Fiction (http://www.tristition.com/2008/06/11/improving_gas_mileage_fact_vs_fiction/)

Tristition - Improving Gas Mileage: Fact vs. Fiction (http://www.tristition.com/2008/06/11/improving_gas_mileage_fact_vs_fiction/)

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage (http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/)

Acetone To Regular Gas, & Better Mileage (http://www.toyotafans.net/acetone-to-regular-gas-better-mileage-t2687.htm)

Boost gas mileage 15-35% - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t385048.html)

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Heres my question...is the decrease in fuel economy going to cost you more money than going to a gas station that charges more? Isn't that the point with the ethenol is that its cheaper?

kmf563
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
The Conoco on the corner of Memorial and Western is ethanol free. I also might add that I get an average of at least 50 more miles out of a tank of their gas. I drive that in a day to work and back so, it helps me. Shell for some reason gives me the lowest mileage per tank. 7-11 gas makes my car run like crap. So does Walmart.

I think it depends on your car model also. Sometimes Ethanol gas causes build up in your filters which gives you low mileage and causes more mechanical problems in the long run. I haven't noticed a difference in gas prices for ethanol users either - guess it only saves the store money not the consumer.

Bobby821
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
There are several station in Moore that offer ethanol free gas, We currently fill up at Jerry's on the corner of 4th and telephone road, they take cash, checks or credit cards.

I learned this ethanol stuff the hard way, we used to fill up at wal mart with gas read the brochure at murphys about the new 10% ethanol they carried and said it would not harm your vehicle, WRONG answer here last week my 2000 silverado started running rough and misfiring took it in and basically had to have the whole fuel system replaced on it was over 1100.00 and the mechanic shoed me the parts and what the ethanol had done to them, basically the filter screen on the bottom f the fuel pump was completely clogged from all the dirt and residue from in the gas tank brought out by using ethanol gas as well as the fuel filter was packed full from it as well. Basically if your car is not specifically designed to run on ethanol it will mess things up with your fuel system. 7-11 has the E-10 blend also so it is to be avoided.

Jon27
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
The Phillips 66 at Reno and Villa and the Conoco at Main and Cornwell in Yukon are Ethanol free. I'm pretty sure that all 7-11, Love's, Murphy, and Circle K stations are E-10. I haven't gone to a station that is Ethanol free yet, but I'm going to try it with my next tank to see if it really justifies paying more. Does anyone know if Ethanol messes something up, if your warranty will cover it?

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Bobby...doesn't sounds to me that your problem was the ethanol, rather the crap that was in it. Couldn't that happen with gasoline as well? Seems to me if ethanol caused that much of a problem to your fuel system, it would be known. Besides that, I was under the impression that e-85, for example, actually burns cleaner than gasoline..

I'm still interested in the difference in pricing...if I get a little bit more out of a tank, thats cool, but if the place is a ton more expensive, is it worth going out of my way to them?

Jon27
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm still interested in the difference in pricing...if I get a little bit more out of a tank, thats cool, but if the place is a ton more expensive, is it worth going out of my way to them?

AMEN!! That's what I would like to know! I have a feeling we will find out the answer is no. When I was getting my haircut tonight, I was talking with the lady about this. Ok so she has a 22 gallon Mercury Malon. Non Ethanol gas is 10-20 cents higher. Ok, she said that he mileage went from 22.6 - 22.1 non ethanol vs. ethanol. Ok, assuming this being the case, at $3.96 gallon non ethanol vs. 3.73 gallon E-10 (prices I saw today). Doing the math.....how is that worth it?

brianinok
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
kmf, thanks for the tip! I filled up there tonight. That's the only place I've found in the area where I live and work (west Edmond/Quail Springs).

And everyone, I did not intend for this to be a debate thread. You pro-ethanol people won-- you have virtually every station in the state where you can save a dime. All I know is my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg with 10% ethanol, so I asked my dealership about it and they told me that while ethanol will not do any long term damage to my vehicle, it will cause it to cough, idle funny, hesitate, and lower my mpg.

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
You pro-ethanol people won

Uhh just to be clear, I'm not a "pro-ethanol" person...I just want to know if its really worth it to pay the extra money to get a little more out of a tank....funny enough, no one that is anti-ethanol seems willing to answer that.

metro
07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
For all you curious, why don't you test it out yourselves. Fill up a tank with ethanol and then next tank do it without ethanol. Everyone's car and condition of car is different.

For the guy about warranties. Check your auto warranty as each person's warranty is different depending on year, make, model of car as well as where you purchased the car and where the warranty is from. Most vehicle manuals tell you if you can run ethanol safely or not.

Jon27
07-09-2008, 07:46 PM
kmf, thanks for the tip! I filled up there tonight. That's the only place I've found in the area where I live and work (west Edmond/Quail Springs).

And everyone, I did not intend for this to be a debate thread. You pro-ethanol people won-- you have virtually every station in the state where you can save a dime. All I know is my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg with 10% ethanol, so I asked my dealership about it and they told me that while ethanol will not do any long term damage to my vehicle, it will cause it to cough, idle funny, hesitate, and lower my mpg.

That was not my intention. I'm not pro-ethanol. I just want the most bang for my buck. I'm going to be testing this myself. I just think everyone needs to get all of the facts about something before making a decision. Your 3-4 MPG drop could be a variety of factors. E-10 may not be the cause or it could be. Just make sure before you throw away $4 extra.

brianinok
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I think it roughly equals out on mileage in the end. But, I would rather have a better running car and do my part to keep food prices from rising further.

hipsterdoofus
07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it roughly equals out on mileage in the end. But, I would rather have a better running car and do my part to keep food prices from rising further.

I'm not sure that 10% or less has been a factor in food prices as much as the push for higher percentage ethanol, like e-85...how long has e-10 been around? I don't think that its a new thing that they've been putting ethanol in with gasoline.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-09-2008, 09:20 PM
For all you curious, why don't you test it out yourselves. Fill up a tank with ethanol and then next tank do it without ethanol. Everyone's car and condition of car is different.

For the guy about warranties. Check your auto warranty as each person's warranty is different depending on year, make, model of car as well as where you purchased the car and where the warranty is from. Most vehicle manuals tell you if you can run ethanol safely or not.

Thanks metro, that's some good advice. Every car is different. Personally, I feel like everyone I know is freaking out thinking that E10 is going to damage their engines, destroy gas mileage (most of the local media has been talking about it just saying "it will cost you gas mileage" without reporting actual numbers), etc, but it just feels like nobody really knows the facts, perhaps me too. I don't think ethanol gas would be sold so widely for such a long time if it destroys engines. Just read the manual, folks! Also, most of the country has been using ethanol in gas for some time, in the phase out of MTBE, a carcinogen, and about half of the gas in the US contains some ethanol.

Personally, in my recent trials, I come out slightly ahead, save 4% on E10 over full gas, and lose only about 2.5% mpg, but my car is brand new (08 honda civic). Plus its cleaner burning, sounds good to me.

To answer the question on the thread, you can pick E5, E10, or 100% at the Valero on 240 and Sooner, and I think just 100% at the Phillips66 across the street (where they have jacked up the prices to 3.95). E10 is 3.79 at Valero.

traxx
07-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Mallen, again while I don't recommend it. I know people who have proven it in their rides. It's been scientifically proven in numerous tests. The ones who try and debunk it, you will usually find they are funded by the big oil companies. Ironic?

» How to Boost Your Gas Mileage with Acetone » Blog Archive* *Alice Hill’s Real Tech News - Independent Tech (http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2598)

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage (http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/)

Acetone To Regular Gas, & Better Mileage (http://www.toyotafans.net/acetone-to-regular-gas-better-mileage-t2687.htm)

Boost gas mileage 15-35% - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t385048.html)

Snopes claims this is false. Not saying they're the end all authority on this but they usually have pretty good info and I don't think they're funded by big oil. But if you have personal experience of it doubling gas mileage, then I don't know.

kmf563
07-10-2008, 07:39 AM
My suggestion is to ask your mechanic or dealership. They know your car the best besides you. My car doesn't like it. It's not one of those things where you put it in your car and your engine falls out, over time is where the problem occurs. It is definitely a question I will have when buying a new car from now on.

I haven't seen any other stations that are ethanol free, but if I do I will post them. Does anyone know of one around the airport area or in Mustang?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Putting acetone in your tank is bunk, and it CAN eat your car from the inside out. If putting a couple of ounces of something that cheap could really do that...They'd mix that sh*t in at the refinery, or gas stations would do it and charge extra. Anybody who tells you that they're getting EIGHTY percent better mileage by acetone alone is either a moron or a liar. "Hypermilers" are taking things to the extreme, and probably ARE increasing their mileage by a huge margin, but the acetone isn't doing it...Driving like an ADD monkey on ephedrine is.

As for people reporting mileage differences between e85 and regular old gas...Unless you're making an identical trip, under identical conditions, with the same load on engine the majority of the time...There's really no way to tell. I can vary my mileage in one of my trucks by 5mpg just by driving different. Cooler days will net you better mileage as well, due to the density of the air charge going into your car...Allowing for a better timing curve and more optimal air/fuel ratios. That's also why your car is faster on cold days ;)

As for PERFORMANCE...My other truck is a finicky drinker, as it's a high performance engine...And my times at the track indicate a negligible performance difference between the two types of gas.

metro
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
OGTS, the acetone "myth" was "debunked" by MythBusters, who didn't do a good job and are often subjective at best. Science has proven in several tests (links above), that 2-3 ounces per tank can greatly increase gas mileage because you burn more actual fuel. Straight gasoline or E-blends tend to waste some and not actually get burned up. MythBusters and Snopes used more than the scientifically recommended amount, which has been tested and proven to reduce gas mileage if you put too much of the stuff in. Considering I've seen and know of people who have received much greater gas mileage due to that and not plowing 85mph on the highway, their gas mileage has almost doubled.

Why would refineries want to sell half as less gas by mixing it in? Secondly it has been proved to eat rubber gaskets over a period of several years if you use it regularly. Most cars weren't designed with tougher gaskets that CAN handle acetone, thus another reason why the refineries don't mix it in. To avoid lawsuits and to sell more gas.

I'd say it's just as much effective as it is bunk.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
I didn't watch Mythbusters to learn that it doesn't work. I'VE TRIED IT. It doesn't work. It's crap, and it will f*** up your engine. The oil companies would murder babies by the thousands if there were something this simple they could do and increase your mileage by that amount. They'd patent the process and wipe out the competition. I bet you believe that the government or big pharma has the cure for cancer sitting on a shelf too.

And I can find you "scientific" links that prove that for $200, you can convert your car to run on tap water, that we didn't go to the moon, the towers were brought down with explosives, John Titor has seen the coming race wars, and that the earth is flat. Just because somebody sounds like they know WTF they're doing on the internet doesn't mean that crap actually works.

In short, don't tell people to try this unless you're doing it in your car, know how engines work, and know WTF you're talking about. Not because you read it on the internet...Because you're wrong.

Bobby821
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Well i will stick with regular old gasolene it is safer for your car than ethanol is and wont ruin your engine from the carbon build up and all that ethanol does to cars not designed to run on it, which are those built prior to the last couple of years or so or hybrids.

hipsterdoofus
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Well i will stick with regular old gasolene it is safer for your car than ethanol is and wont ruin your engine from the carbon build up and all that ethanol does to cars not designed to run on it, which are those built prior to the last couple of years or so or hybrids.

Source for this info?

kristae
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
If you have a 'dirty' fuel tank and fuel system then the ethanol WILL loosen up all the deposits and that is what people are complaining about. It is not that the fuel coming out of the pump is dirty... it's all the crap from years of regular gas that is being cleaned out by the ethanol. So yes... after a couple of tanks you may very well notice rough idle but do a fuel filter change and run fuel system cleaner through it throughly BEFORE starting ethanol should help out. IMHO of course.

Bobby821
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Ethanol will dissolve plastic in the fuel system and in the engine such as seals gaskets etc, as well as the sugar content of the ethanol will cause carbon to build up inside the engine and cause it to hesitate and be hard to start, same goes for your lawn equipment if you put ethanol in it it will also corrode metal gas lines and clog fuel filters. My sources are articles on the web and in the Oklahoman as well as my mechanic and my wifes sister and her husband who are both very knowledgeable about cars.

hipsterdoofus
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Ethanol will dissolve plastic in the fuel system and in the engine such as seals gaskets etc, as well as the sugar content of the ethanol will cause carbon to build up inside the engine and cause it to hesitate and be hard to start, same goes for your lawn equipment if you put ethanol in it it will also corrode metal gas lines and clog fuel filters. My sources are articles on the web and in the Oklahoman as well as my mechanic and my wifes sister and her husband who are both very knowledgeable about cars.

So could you post the links?...I don't see any real specific sources for the arguments being made. When Channel 9 did the story a few weeks back, I don't recall any mention of it causing problems with your car...just that it would result in lower mileage (and they weren't real specific about how low).

Bobby821
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Letters to the Editor » Ethanol’s bad side (http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=3514)

hipsterdoofus
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Letters to the Editor » Ethanol’s bad side (http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=3514)

A letter to the editor of a paper is your source of information? Thats worse than wikipedia...

Thunder
07-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Conoco in Del City on Sunnylane and north side of I-40 does not have Ethanol and Alcohol. It is higher, but saves you money than frequent trips to the stations that have Ethanol. That is my usual fill-up place.

I noticed that Williams in Del City on 29th and Sunnylane has up to 10% Ethanol and I get very poor gas millage there. I stopped going there, but did once in urgent need, which I regret.

I do notice the difference!

Simple advice, go for stations that is higher priced and ask questions.

diesel
07-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Conoco on Sooner and 15th also has it... Right across the street from Walmart...

Lauri101
07-12-2008, 03:19 PM
AM/PM at Reno and Midwest Blvd, Midwest City, is ethanol-free. It was $3.86 for regular yesterday.

windowphobe
07-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Shell, 5050 North May
Lion's Choice (station adjacent), I-44 at Pennsylvania

cs9507
07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
The Phillips 66 at Reno and Villa and the Conoco at Main and Cornwell in Yukon are Ethanol free. I'm pretty sure that all 7-11, Love's, Murphy, and Circle K stations are E-10. I haven't gone to a station that is Ethanol free yet, but I'm going to try it with my next tank to see if it really justifies paying more. Does anyone know if Ethanol messes something up, if your warranty will cover it?

Thanks for the Yukon info. I have a 2004 Honda Civic. I have been getting an average of 34-36 mpg for over a year. The last 2 tanks of gas were from 7-11 10% ethanol.... while my car does not seem to run rough the mileage has gone down. I was getting at least 400 miles and using only 11.?? gal= about 36 mpg. The last 2 tanks of ethanol fuel went to 355 miles and today.. it was only 294 on 11.1 gal. I found a station at 50th & May (near my office) with no-ethanol fuel today and was thankful. I worry that if it is doing this to my mileage - what is it doing to my engine??? I will not be purchasing anymore ethanol based fuel again -regardless of the savings.

BTW I had a friend who purchased a new expensive SUV in Jan. last week after filling up at a 7-11 in OKC it started running rough and quit. After being towed in to the dealership... (they were given samples) The entire fuel system had to be replaced and they were told it was almost 100% ethanol, which the factory warranty would not cover it!! This ordeal is far from over.

I just know that I can't afford saving a couple dollars on fuel price and taking a chance on major engine problems to follow -- CAN YOU??

Thunder
07-25-2008, 09:07 PM
cs9407, ethanol can damage the vehicle. If too much ethanol, the result would be almost immediately. If a little ethanol, the result will slowly creep up.

I wonder if promoting ethanol is the government's way of jump-starting the ecomony by forcing people to buy a new vehicle after previous one is destroyed.

Bobby821
07-26-2008, 08:57 AM
cs9407, ethanol can damage the vehicle. If too much ethanol, the result would be almost immediately. If a little ethanol, the result will slowly creep up.

I wonder if promoting ethanol is the government's way of jump-starting the ecomony by forcing people to buy a new vehicle after previous one is destroyed.

You are correct on the ethanol it will RUIN your engine !!!

hipsterdoofus
07-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Again, would love to see some hard facts on this rather than opinion.

fromdust
07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
find a valero. none have them use an ethanol blend.

raw98682
07-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I thought the law stated that stations with ethanol have to post this info... I haven't seen very many with this posting, which I assume means they don't have ethanol.
I go to the OnCue on Reno and MacArthur. Good prices, clean, and no posts about ethanol in their gas.

Thunder
07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I thought the law stated that stations with ethanol have to post this info... I haven't seen very many with this posting, which I assume means they don't have ethanol.
I go to the OnCue on Reno and MacArthur. Good prices, clean, and no posts about ethanol in their gas.

raw98682, there is no known law that require stations to post the ethanol sticker at the pumps. However, there is strong encouragement for all stations to immediately alert the customers of any ethanol presence in the gas to protect the customers and, of course, the businesses.

oneforone
07-27-2008, 12:40 AM
raw98682, there is no known law that require stations to post the ethanol sticker at the pumps. However, there is strong encouragement for all stations to immediately alert the customers of any ethanol presence in the gas to protect the customers and, of course, the businesses.

Actually a law or a regulation went into effect on July 1st requiring stations to post the amount of ethanol in their fuel.

However, I do feel comfortable with buying Ethanol Fuel from OnCue.

This is came directly from their website:

At Oncue Express we stand behind our gasoline with a no hassle guarantee! If your vehicle has a mechanical problem caused by our gasoline, we'll pay for the repair. To qualify, produce your proof of purchase and have your vehicle inspected by an ASE technician with an A8 certification.

I cannot think of a single station that is willing to make that kind of statement about the fuels they sell.

I do think it is kind of funny how most of these gas stations that advertise alcohol free gas are these places that have probably have not cleaned or changed their tanks since the 80's. You may not be buying alcohol in ther gas but you just might be buying a little water or corrosion in your gas instead.

Thunder
07-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Actually a law or a regulation went into effect on July 1st requiring stations to post the amount of ethanol in their fuel.

However, I do feel comfortable with buying Ethanol Fuel from OnCue.

This is came directly from their website:

At Oncue Express we stand behind our gasoline with a no hassle guarantee! If your vehicle has a mechanical problem caused by our gasoline, we'll pay for the repair. To qualify, produce your proof of purchase and have your vehicle inspected by an ASE technician with an A8 certification.

I cannot think of a single station that is willing to make that kind of statement about the fuels they sell.

I do think it is kind of funny how most of these gas stations that advertise alcohol free gas are these places that have probably have not cleaned or changed their tanks since the 80's. You may not be buying alcohol in ther gas but you just might be buying a little water or corrosion in your gas instead.

Thank you for the information. It seem that I missed that news since I last heard about stations and ethanol. That law was sure written up and passed quickly.

I feel comfortable buying mine at Conoco in Del City on I-40 and Sunnylane. They advertises No Ethanol and No Alcohol. I am not sure about the quality of their tanks and inspection details.

So far, my drive has been smooth and longer lasting. Once in a while, I might fill up at 7-Eleven, if the tank is in urgent need, but only for a gallon or two. I have noticed that the gas mileage is better from 7-Eleven than Williams. My guess is that Williams use more ethanol than 7-Eleven.

windowphobe
07-27-2008, 04:45 PM
As of the first of July, a station in Oklahoma that blends ethanol with its gas must have a sticker to that effect on the pump. (There's a $500-a-day fine for failure to do so.)

brianinok
07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Gas remains under $4 a gallon continues to fall - Jul. 28, 2008 (http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/28/news/economy/gasoline/index.htm)

I know this is E85, but AAA apparently realizes that ethanol is less efficient than fuel:

"Ethanol: High fuel prices have caused many drivers, particularly those in states with strong agricultural industries, to switch to ethanol as their fuel of choice.

The price of E85, an 85% ethanol blend, which burns cleaner than pure gasoline and is made primarily from corn, fell 1.8 cents to $3.222 a gallon on average, AAA reported.

While ethanol is derived from renewable sources, it is less efficient than gasoline. As a result, a car running on E85 would pay the equivalent of $4.24 per gallon to get the same mileage as gas, the AAA survey estimated."

Karried
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Edmond Police No Ethanol

The majority of gas stations continue to sell cheaper, more environmentally-friendly gasoline-ethanol blends, but Edmond police officers are filling up elsewhere.
The Edmond Police Department recently noticed some of their cars weren't running normally. They said their engines were knocking and not running as smoothly as they have in the past.

"We got word from our city garage...probably part of the problem is that we're using fuel with 10 percent ethanol in it," Fleet Manager Sgt. Jim Teel said.
The officers decided instead to fill up with pure gasoline only.
"It's not a mandatory thing, but what we've asked, if you can't go out to the city garage and refuel with 100 percent fuel that you go out to one of the fuelman stations here in town that does sell 100 percent fuel," Teel said.
Mohammad Choudhry owns two Valero stations in Edmond.
"I have one station with Ethanol, one is non-ethanol," Choudhry said.
He said despite the bump from police, business at the Valero selling pure gasoline is down. He claims, with the economy down, motorists are more concerned about price than performance.
Pure gasoline costs more than the ethanol blended fuels.
"Most people don't know they have ethanol or not," Choudhry said. "They just see the price and pump the gas."
Edmond police said even though they're paying more for pure gas, better gas mileage more than makes up for the lost money. More importantly, their cars are running better.
"If our cars aren't running the way they're supposed to be, we can't get to where we need to be in a timely manner," Teel said. "In the end it affects our response times and it's just hurting the people we're sworn to serve."
It's generally accepted the gas mileage recorded while using ethanol blends is not as good compared with that of pure gasoline. Gas stations are now required by law to label their pumps if they're selling ethanol.

Karried
07-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Anyone know about Sam's Club?

Luke
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
The 7-11 at Bryant and SE 44th DOES have ethanol. :(

CuatrodeMayo
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
For those of you in the part of southern Logan county known as Felony Flats, you can fill up on pure gas at Waterloo & Sooner.

OKCDrummer77
07-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Anyone know about Sam's Club?

The Sam's at Memorial & Penn does have 10% ethanol.

Insider
07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
All 7/11, Wal-Mart, and Sams use Ethanol in their gas.

Every car will be different as far as how it responds to Ethanol fuel. I have found that I get MUCH better gas mileage using 100% gas. I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla and my mileage went from 31.2 MPG using gas with Ethanol to 36.4 MPG using gas without Ethanol. Test it yourself and go with what works best for you.

Karried
07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
If I have a half tank of gas with Ethanol, would it be a problem to mix the two and fill up the rest with Ethanol Free gas.. I'm driving to Dallas and would like to use this kind of gas. Would it be alright to combine the two?

Insider
07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
It will not hurt your car, if that is what you are asking. Everytime you fill up, you mix gas from you last tank with the new gas.

However, if you are looking to get better gas mileage, you will probably not see much of a difference as you will still have a lot of Ethanol gas left in your tank (since you are filling up at a half tank). To get the Ethanol gas out of your tank faster, let your tank get as low as you can before filling up. This process should be repeated several times to get almost all of the Ethanol out of your system.

CuatrodeMayo
07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
My 1987 Silverado burns some serious rubber when it's drinking ethanol-free fuel compared to the blends.

jawgie
07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
There is a station at 17th and Classen (3.55 today) and one at 13th and Classen
(3.43 ) that do not have ethanol.

kmf563
07-29-2008, 11:10 AM
so, how are they going to start regulating the prices on ethanol gas and 100% gas? people didn't think about this before they allowed it. There is a .90 cent gas difference around the city but it doesn't have anything to do with whether there is ethanol in the gas or not. It's just the area and the station.