View Full Version : Why has Bricktown stalled?

mecarr
07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Everytime I go to Bricktown, I am initially pleased and excited to see all the people walking around looking like they are enjoing themselves. Then I get disappointed when I see so many empty buildings, or buildings that still signs for a restaurant\club that had closed up long ago. So my question is, what's the deal? Why with all these people moving in downtown and all this momentum is Bricktown still stuck where it was a couple years ago? Granted, some things have opened like the Centennial and Red Pin, but I still don't see any good reason why so many buildings down there have remained closed for so long.

Karried
07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I think it's the economy. Plus, the leases in Bricktown. compared to other areas, are really high aren't they?

AFCM
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Also, throw in the development of other ambitious projects throughout the city.

I think bringing in the NBA will help greatly. There are going to be a lot of folks wanting to make money off of the NBA attendance traffic and that should get things going.

PLANSIT
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Too many "bad" ideas. In theory, everyone wants to open a club or restaurant that is unique and distinguishable, however, in practice, they all seem to be rehashes of the same old thing. The problem may be impatience to turn a profit as soon as possible, the right approach may be to offer a quality product and expect to be in the red for awhile until your brand name is established. Redpin is a good idea. Club Savvy or Halo are not.

I think we may be seeing an influx of proposals now that the OKC bball team is here. Most of them will probably be poorly constructed, but hopefully a few will take hold and help Bricktown be more sustainable. The Brownstones, Lofts, and The Hill are going to fill up quickly and if a critical density is obtained better proposals will follow (more affordable housing, grocery, restaurants).

bornhere
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm no expert on this subject, but I've had knowledgeable people tell me part of Bricktown's problem is property owners who've priced themselves out of reach and refuse to accept that they can't get tenants or buyers at the prices they're asking.

sroberts24
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm no expert on this subject, but I've had knowledgeable people tell me part of Bricktown's problem is property owners who've priced themselves out of reach and refuse to accept that they can't get tenants or buyers at the prices they're asking.

agreed

metro
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't think the "economy" has anything to do with Bricktown stalling. OKC's economy is great, our unemployment rate is low, our economy is strong and we haven't had any massive layoffs like most cities nationwide are experiencing. Forbes recently ranked us #1 Most Recession Proof City in America.

I do agree with bornhere and others that it is greedy Bricktown property owners like Brewer, Cotton, Hogan, Avis Scaramucci owns a dilapidated building too, and a few other owners.

wsucougz
07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
irrational exuberance.

mmonroe
07-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Don't get me started on Brewer, or Cotton, or Hogan. Stupid asses waste their own money on property tax and wasted time. If they only would bring down the prices, help bring up the city, and pull their heads out of their asses... selfish arrogant *#$($&#@