View Full Version : How will you react when the HORNETS come to town?

edcrunk
07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
i imagine there possibly could be as many hornet shirts and jerseys as there are okc ______.
even if they spank our team, i bet they still receive a standing ovation! i definitely want to be at their first meeting... i wouldn't be surprised if chris paul cries.

betts
07-06-2008, 09:53 PM
That will be the only difficult game for me. I don't know if I can root against the Hornets, but I won't be able to root against our team either. It may be the quietest arena of the year, once the introductions are over, and those will be the noisiest.

OKCDrummer77
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
When the Hornets were here, I saw, on TV, a game they played at the Charlotte Bobcats. There was a large contingent of fans in Charlotte Hornets gear rooting for them. I predict that the same thing happens here.

As for me, I will probably root for the OKC ____, but would be OK with it if we lost.

the_Mont
07-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Can't wait for that game. I'll wear my Hornets shooting jacket over my OKC shirt and OKC hat. I'll be happy for both teams, but obviously I'll be rooting for OKC to win.

Hollywood
07-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Someone could make a killing selling half and half jerseys for that game, one side Hornet the other side (insert name).

Thunder
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Would it be possible to set up the first match in OKC to have the opponent be the Hornets?

OKCMallen
07-07-2008, 06:50 AM
i imagine there possibly could be as many hornet shirts and jerseys as there are okc ______.

No way.

even if they spank our team, i bet they still receive a standing ovation!

I sure hope not.

i wouldn't be surprised if chris paul cries.

I would be ultimately surprised if he did. Look, they said a lot of flattering things about our fanbase and appreciated the support, but this year's playoff run in NOLA, we're a distant memory to them at this point.

kevinpate
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Treat the Hornets as you would any former relationship where you held strong feelings then parted knowing it was just not meant to be ... with civility and respect.

Bottom line, it's time to move on and bring your all devotion to your new relationship, not sit back with a hope you can still rekindle some flames with the former.

B-ball is dead. Long Live B-ball!

Toadrax
07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Treat the Hornets as you would any former relationship where you held strong feelings then parted knowing it was just not meant to be ... with civility and respect.

Why can't we just be friends with benefits and enjoy a nice night with them once in awhile?

The new girl doesn't gotta know. It will be easier to enjoy the hornets without having to give them a place to stay and deal with all of the other crap that comes from a relationship. Sometimes the best part in a relationship come when it is over :D

http://i30.tinypic.com/34j3rzm.jpg

OKCMallen
07-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Hahaha., nice Toadrax.

AFCM
07-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Why can't we just be friends with benefits and enjoy a nice night with them once in awhile?

The new girl doesn't gotta know. It will be easier to enjoy the hornets without having to give them a place to stay and deal with all of the other crap that comes from a relationship. Sometimes the best part in a relationship come when it is over :D

http://i30.tinypic.com/34j3rzm.jpg

Especially when the OKC ______ is going to suck for a while. The Hornets were just a fling, heck maybe even a one-night-stand. Now, we're married to the OKC ______, which right now, may not be as attractive as the Hornets.

Consequently, we'll always think back to the good ol' days and want to enjoy just one more night with the Hornets. Luckily, if the price is right, OKC ______ doesn't mind us enjoying a night with the both of them, ala manage et trois...and we can videotape it for our viewing pleasure!!!

edcrunk
07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I would be ultimately surprised if he did. Look, they said a lot of flattering things about our fanbase and appreciated the support, but this year's playoff run in NOLA, we're a distant memory to them at this point.
i didn't say i expect him to... but i wouldn't be surprised. he cut his nba teeth here and this is his first game back in town. the people we have here are somewhat unique and overly kindhearted... and we are proud of what the hornets have done. there is going to be a whole lot of love and crazy emotions flowing in that room that night.

OKCMallen
07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Just sayin' man, I don't think CP3 is overly attached to OKC. I am sure he appreciates how things went while he was here and all, but I just can't imagine him crying about it.

John
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
When the Hornets were here, I saw, on TV, a game they played at the Charlotte Bobcats. There was a large contingent of fans in Charlotte Hornets gear rooting for them. I predict that the same thing happens here.

As for me, I will probably root for the OKC ____, but would be OK with it if we lost.

CP bought something like 300 tickets for his friends & family, since they're relatively close to Charlotte.

edcrunk
07-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Just sayin' man, I don't think CP3 is overly attached to OKC. I am sure he appreciates how things went while he was here and all, but I just can't imagine him crying about it.
if i was in his shoes.... i'd cry. =-]

OKCisOK4me
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
This situation is some what similar to when Bill Self coached his first game at OSU as the head of the Jayhawks. He received a standing ovation and he will always be well received (even as he turned down the head coaching vacancy).

There will always be that place that we hold dear in our hearts toward the Hornets and the players that were in that organization when they played here but as time goes on and trades and acquisitions occur for that team; so will we grow to love our new team. Fifteen years will change a lot of hearts!

CCOKC
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
As a fan of the NBA for a long time I can tell you that I have had this same feeling a lot. I was a MAVS fan for about the last ten years and when we lost Steve Nash and Michael Finley I was heartbroken. When they came to the Ford Center I was amazed how much I could yell against my "beloved" players. We are going to face a lot of this since players move around so much in the NBA. When Milwaukee comes to town with Desmond Mason or Boston with PJ Brown (assuming he does not retire) we will still love those players but hope they lose.

windowphobe
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
PJ is almost certainly going to retire - the main reason he left the Hornets was to get a shot at a championship ring, and as a Celtic he got one - but damn, I'd buy that man a drink anywhere, anytime.