View Full Version : Ultimate Electronics in trouble

Keith
12-17-2004, 09:25 PM
The news reported this evening that Ultimate Electronics is in bad financial trouble. It looks like they may be filing for bankruptcy next month.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Does that mean blow-out sales for us?

Luke
12-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Does that mean two more big boxes for sale in the metro area?

Patrick
12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Hmmmm.....I think I remember saying awhile back that with stiff competition from Circuit City, Best Buy, etc., Ultimate would be filing bankruptcy. A few on here said they'd all be able to compete in the same market. Unfortunately, I can't see people paying more at Ultimate, for the same thin at CC or BB for a lot cheaper. I'm not surprised they're in trouble.

TheLlama
12-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Hmmmm.....I think I remember saying awhile back that with stiff competition from Circuit City, Best Buy, etc., Ultimate would be filing bankruptcy. A few on here said they'd all be able to compete in the same market. Unfortunately, I can't see people paying more at Ultimate, for the same thin at CC or BB for a lot cheaper. I'm not surprised they're in trouble.

I second that. . .

Midtowner
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM

In the past, Ultimate was famous for carrying more 'high end' type electronics. They should have stuck to what they were good at.

Unfortunately, for them, here in OKC, the market was pretty well cornered by the likes of Contemporary Sounds, Audio Dimensions, etc.

rxis
02-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I never liked the experience at Ultimate Electronics because of its employees. I knew more about the products than the high red eyed salesman who "sold" me a camcorder and camera. They also kept screwing up when I was trying to purchase and install an entertainment system. I went back into their garage and the workers didn't seem to know much about their work. One more thing, they take forever to get anything done whether its finding a price or checking out.

I wonder what Wattles, who controls Ultimate Electronics, is planning to do.

mranderson
02-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I rememeber when Ultimate opened. Their sales staff were required to wear suits and ties. I went in a couple of times to look, and the salesperson tried to picth a product. I have sold electronics before. In fact, I managed a chain of stores for two years until the oil bust caused my job to be eliminated. I know a lot about a product, and know what I want. I hate it when a salesperson tries to fill your mind full of crap. Example. Mitsubishi. Lousy product. These guys try to spew the brainwashing the sales manager fills them with and try to down play Sony.

Sony is used by 98% of the broadcast industry. It has to be of impeciable quality. I have never seen a television station use Mitsubishi. I research the internet and go with my gut feeling. If I have a question, for example (and this is a reall question in my mind) can a dvd recorder also record audio cd's, I want the answer and will go to several stores to get other opinions. I will not take a person's word for it.

Ultimate was way to high priced in the beginning, and, yes. Lacked knoweldge.

What will happen? I hope they survive. Oklahoma City is far from saturated in the electronics and appliance industry.

rxis
04-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Is Ultimate Electronics supposedly having a big sale right now? I've lost touch with electronics prices and models, but it seems like the sale at the store in Edmond is pretty so-so. If there is a good sale somewhere I'll probably purchase a large HD flat screen..heehee

mranderson
04-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Is Ultimate Electronics supposedly having a big sale right now? I've lost touch with electronics prices and models, but it seems like the sale at the store in Edmond is pretty so-so. If there is a good sale somewhere I'll probably purchase a large HD flat screen..heehee

Ultimate HAS no store in Edmond. They have two in Oklahoma City. Those are the only two metro stores. None are in suburbs.

Midtowner
04-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Sony is used by 98% of the broadcast industry.

Maybe in the past, but DVCAM is nowhere as popular now as Betamax was. Also, Sony's consumer products are of different quality than their professional/prosumer products. Now with DV and DVCAM being very similar, and DV equipment being slightly cheaper, and almost all editing applications being software based, Sony has lost a lot of marketshare. Some stations still use Beta and dual VTR's to edit their video.. Some I know of still use SVHS! But it's safe to say that your number there is absolutely and completely wrong, and not even a close guesstimation.

But I'm sure you knew that.

Also, as for Sony, their professional/prosumer gear is totally different than their consumer products. Aside from that, every single line varies in quality.. heck, every single product varies in quality. For example, I've heard horrible things about the VAIO computers, from quality issues, to compatibility issues, to their high price tags, also, their audio systems are low quality and a bit high on the price. On the other hand, I know that their old VTR's, Cameras, etc. are excellent, as are their televisions.

I worked long enough in consumer electronics sales to realize that when it comes to quality, you don't look too hard at brands, those have become relatively irrelevant. You look at individual products, features, other products in that line, etc.

rxis
04-06-2005, 09:48 AM
I don't think you have to have much experience to realise that every product varies. I think you just need to be a consumer who have owned a few toys.

Midtowner
04-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't think you have to have much experience to realise that every product varies. I think you just need to be a consumer who have owned a few toys.

True :D