View Full Version : It's official! What do you want to name the team?

Pages : [1] 2

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
It become official today. The NBA is coming to OKC for the 2008-2009 season, but the Sonics name stays in Seattle. So what do you want to name the team? My vote is for the...

Oklahoma City Tornadoes

What do you think? What's your name?

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
My current favs:

1. Thunder
2. Aviators

Ash_Fox
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Personally, I don't really care what the team is called as long as it'd not redneck/hick sounding. I honestly know people who think we live in log houses and have Native Americans running around in our yards.

I personally wouldn't mind something that represented our city, our state, but we can do it in a not hick sounding way.

jbrown84
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Barons is my choice until I hear something better.

Thunder and Aviators I could settle for, but Tornadoes, Twisters, Thunderbirds, etc all sound hokey.

Toadrax
07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Think Big League and not.. Teepee.

I wouldn't mind something that referenced our history if it was something cool.. like when we screwed over Guthrie or stole a NBA team from Seattle.

Tackleberry
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I was recently at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History and saw some of those big mammoths. There were also some Velociraptor related dinosaurs there, don't know if Raptors is taken but...

1) OKC Mammoths
2) OKC Raptors

I do like Aviators, has kind of a historical nobility sound to it.

kevinpate
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
> like when we screwed over Guthrie or stole a NBA team from Seattle.

in no particular order

OKC Dawgs (it's Doug's birthday after all)
OKC Duece or Dos (we got the 2nd team clay went after)
OKC Hawks (in the state song and also predatory by nature)
OKC Raiders (with thanks to the seattle press I suppose)
OKC Surprise (face it, this qualifies)

Toadrax
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
OKC Blue Whalehunters

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
> like when we screwed over Guthrie or stole a NBA team from Seattle.

in no particular order

OKC Dawgs (it's Doug's birthday after all)
OKC Duece or Dos (we got the 2nd team clay went after)
OKC Hawks (in the state song and also predatory by nature)
OKC Raiders (with thanks to the seattle press I suppose)
OKC Surprise (face it, this qualifies)

No go on Hawks....that already belongs to Atlanta.

kevinpate
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
No go on Hawks....that already belongs to Atlanta.

That's why those who don't follow the sport closely (moi) probably ought to observe rather than post. On the other hand, why shouldn't two Hawks be able to fight it out over a bit of leather flesh and drop into their respective nests ... happens in the wild all the time.
8^)

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I was recently at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History and saw some of those big mammoths. There were also some Velociraptor related dinosaurs there, don't know if Raptors is taken but...

1) OKC Mammoths
2) OKC Raptors

I do like Aviators, has kind of a historical nobility sound to it.

The Toronto Raptors already have dibbs on "Raptors".

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
My current favs:

1. Thunder
2. Aviators

I wonder if the NBA approve of Aviators with the aviation history of NC and OH?

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I wonder if the NBA approve of Aviators with the aviation history of NC and OH?

That would seem like a very poor reason for not approving it.

Both states already have teams with names and those teams have nothing to do with aviation. In other words....they had their chance.

CrimsonOberon
07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3719/oklahomacitybarons007ei6.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6524/oklahomacitybaronskevinqj5.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9356/oklahomacitybarons006sj1.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7696/oklahomacitybarons005ky8.jpg

I can't remember if these originated here or on the O'Connell's board.

BFizzy
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Oklahoma City Regulators

Regulatorssss... MOUNT UP!!!

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
That would seem like a very poor reason for not approving it.

Both states already have teams with names and those teams have nothing to do with aviation. In other words....they had their chance.

I didn't say it was a good reason. I just wondered aloud if the NBA would approve. They don't have to be logical. The NBA has a say in the team name and colors.

For example, the last team to join the league was the Charlotte Bobcats. They were permitted to use orange only because the the Knicks use it as a secondary color. I don't know if the NBA would approve the Barons jersey mockup posted above since the primary color is black and the Miami Heat and San Antonia Spurs use black as a lead color.

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Barons is my choice until I hear something better.

Thunder and Aviators I could settle for, but Tornadoes, Twisters, Thunderbirds, etc all sound hokey.

The NBA may have a problem with Barons since a AA minor league baseball team, the Birmingham Barons (http://www.barons.com), is already using the name. However, they may not since it's not a MLB team. There are two professional Panther teams and they are in the NFL and NHL. If the team goes with Barons, would the minor league team be willing to sell barons.com?

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Please please please no barons.

It just strikes a negative feeling for me.

BradR
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
anything related to tornadoes or twisters needs to be a no go, that's too cheesy

so1rfan
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Agree.

Some "clever" sportswriter will call them the Barrens on a poor shooting night..

Karried
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Oklahoma City Vortex

I saw this on a message board and I love it.

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Oklahoma City Vortex

Or, for those that love plural names, the Vortices

:tiphat:

Karried
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
lol.. I like plural as well... Vortexxxxxxxxxssssssssss

TornadoesFan
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Oklahoma City Vortex

Oklahoma City Vortex is pretty good. I like the different spin it puts on Tornadoes. I like it.

psamwel
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
OKC Sausages........gooooooo Blue & Gold!!!!

CuatrodeMayo
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM

I keep visualizing fat German guys sitting in a castle somewhere...

Intrepid
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I keep visualizing fat German guys sitting in a castle somewhere...

LOL....thank you for saying that. That's exactly the vision I get!

TornadoesFan
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM

Sausage is delicious, but I don't know.

CrimsonOberon
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM

Then what would the welcoming party be called? The Sausage Fest?

andy157
07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
I was walking past a t.v. and saw "Oklahoma Thunder" posted on the screne, but the sound was muted so I didn't hear what was being said. Did they announce the teams name?

Intrepid
07-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I was walking past a t.v. and saw "Oklahoma Thunder" posted on the screne, but the sound was muted so I didn't hear what was being said. Did they announce the teams name?

No.

NativeOkie
07-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Thunder.
Logo a Buffaloe Ties native america, tornado alley on and on

TornadoesFan
07-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Thunder.
Logo a Buffaloe Ties native america, tornado alley on and on

Thunder is so vague though and is too close to Seattle Storm, which was the WNBA team. The team needs to avoid any associations with Seattle.

I think the NBA should select a name that plays on tornado alley. My favorites are the OKC Tornadoes and OKC Vortex. Twisters is OK, but Helen Hunt already has quite a bit of equity in that name.

Intrepid
07-04-2008, 06:46 AM
I think the main thing I am personally looking for is something NON-stereotypical.

I agree that Oklahoma has a rich history, but if we want others to see us in a different light, then maybe we need to change the type of light that's shining on us.

Tornadoes, Tribe, Marshals all feed into that stereotype, IMO.

Even though I voted for 'Thunder' in Karried's poll, I think 'Aviators' best helps bring us out of that light, and it still honors our state's history. I just don't know how well that can be marketed.

TornadoesFan
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Even though I voted for 'Thunder' in Karried's poll, I think 'Aviators' best helps bring us out of that light, and it still honors our state's history. I just don't know how well that can be marketed.

Aviators is OK, but I prefer the others just because of the "first in flight" and aviation history of Ohio and North Carolina. I don't think it differentiates OKC enough from the rest of the country. Tornadoes are stereotypical, but they instantly identify with the region.

FritterGirl
07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Of all the names thrown about, my favorite at this point is Thunder.

I like the name, the concept, and the fact that it is one of those "vague" names. Hard time picturing a mascot, though, but this name has the best "ring" to me.

I like the sound of "Barons," but agree with others that it might reinforce some negative stereotype, although instead of visualizing old German guys sitting around a castle, I tend to hear "robber barons." It's bad enough lots of folks believe Bennett essentially "stole" the team from Seattle. I don't know that we want to reinforce that idea with our team name.

I'm afraid other storm related names are out for me. Tulsa has the corner on Hurricane, and I think lots of folks here believe that "Tornadoes" might be in poor taste given the lives lost and destruction cost by the May 5 tornado. Some people just don't want to be continually reminded of those things. Kind of like "Bombers" which is also in poor taste. Vortex is cool sounding, but I don't really know if that would resonate with folks outside of tornado alley who haven't had the privilege of hearing local meteos talk about "multiple vorteces."

venture
07-05-2008, 12:55 AM
"Thunder" that was seen on TV is Kelly Ogle using "his 2 cents" to push a name out there that he wants. Nothing more, nothing less. Just an overflowing egomaniac thinking we give a **** about what he has to say, versus reading the teleprompter like a good little - errrr - anchor.

TornadoesFan
07-05-2008, 02:38 AM
The summer league game start in a few days. I know they only wear practice jerseys, but I wonder what colors they will use. If they decide to go with plain white or black because they haven't made a decision, I'm sure people will think they have selected those mock Baron jerserys.

kevinpate
07-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Of all the names bandied about, I'll be most surprised if Barons rises to the top of the list. It's a too easy invite for hearing heckling shouts of robber-barons instead of playing off the status of being energy barons. I don't hate the name, I just don't see it happening (but then, I dinna see the settlement happening either, so bet bet paychecks based on my opinion)

andy157
07-05-2008, 05:28 AM
"Thunder" that was seen on TV is Kelly Ogle using "his 2 cents" to push a name out there that he wants. Nothing more, nothing less. Just an overflowing egomaniac thinking we give a **** about what he has to say, versus reading the teleprompter like a good little - errrr - anchor.I'm with ya when it comes to "his 2 cents". They aint worth a "plug nickel".

solitude
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm with ya when it comes to "his 2 cents". They aint worth a "plug nickel".

I'm always shiver to think people visit and see these reactionary commentaries.
It just adds to the stereotype of our being a backwards outback with redneck political and cultural views.

Karried
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM

I wonder what they think of our grammar... lol

betts
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I still like Thunderbirds, for all the reasons that have been mentioned before, and I like Wildcatters (I believe I am the only one in the entire city who likes this one). I like nicknames that are animal related, end in "s" and can be shortened to something.

I don't like Barons at all, and think that given the team's origins and the high oil prices right now it would be tacky.

I don't mind Thunder so much if a Buffalo is the mascot, but it can't be shortened and I don't like that. We could shorten it to "Buffs" I suppose, but then perhaps we should just be the Buffaloes.

andy157
07-05-2008, 02:30 PM
It just adds to the stereotype of our being a backwards outback with redneck political and cultural views.solitude, is it your concern that my analysis, or opinion if you will, of Mr. Ogles "2 cents" is reinforcing the backwards, redneck stereotype? If that be the case, I'm truly ashamed, and please accept my most humble apology. I can only hope you were referring to Mr. Ogles ultraconservitive political views which he promotes under the guise of his "2 cents" that causes those who visit to develope a negitive stereotype of our great City and State.

kevinpate
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Now don't be so harsh on da Oglily One ... he don't mean no harm, bless his heart.

andy157
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I wonder what they think of our grammar... lolI hear what your saying. Point well taken. You would think someone with a GED would know to use better grammar. I'll work on it.

Karried
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Karried http://www.okctalk.com/images/vbe2blue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.okctalk.com/hornets-sonics/13302-its-official-what-do-you-want-name-team-2.html#post151838)
I wonder what they think of our grammar... lol
I hear what your saying. Point well taken. You would think someone with a GED would know to use better grammar. I'll work on it

No, No, NO.. I was teasing Solitude - lol

"I'm always shiver to think people visit and see these reactionary commentaries. "

jbrown84
07-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Aviators is OK, but I prefer the others just because of the "first in flight" and aviation history of Ohio and North Carolina. I don't think it differentiates OKC enough from the rest of the country. Tornadoes are stereotypical, but they instantly identify with the region.

Tornadoes are hardly unique to Oklahoma. Pretty sure they have 'em in Ohio too...

It just adds to the stereotype of our being a backwards outback with redneck political and cultural views.

His views are hardly "redneck". I don't know why everyone has such a problem with it. It's just taking the idea of an editorial in a newspaper and translating it to TV News. If you don't agree with him, watch a different channel or put it on mute while he talks. He's no more opinionated than any of us who broadcast our views on this site, or the many liberal OKC bloggers out there. I'm pretty sure Edward R. Murrow would take issue with the concept that an anchor should just read what's on the prompter and nothing else.

windowphobe
07-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I am throwing my support behind the name "Scissortails," since it is (1) pure Oklahoma and (2) likely to produce a mascot named Edward Scissortail, who could be, given the opportunity, a real cut-up.

jbrown84
07-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I should hope you're joking, but I wouldn't be completely surprised. There is apparently a powerful lobby for the Scissortail Flycatcher at the capitol.

http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/OK_winner.gif

andy157
07-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Tornadoes are hardly unique to Oklahoma. Pretty sure they have 'em in Ohio too...

His views are hardly "redneck". I don't know why everyone has such a problem with it. It's just taking the idea of an editorial in a newspaper and translating it to TV News. If you don't agree with him, watch a different channel or put it on mute while he talks. He's no more opinionated than any of us who broadcast our views on this site, or the many liberal OKC bloggers out there. I'm pretty sure Edward R. Murrow would take issue with the concept that an anchor should just read what's on the prompter and nothing else.If it's nothing more than him taking an idea from a newspapers editorial page, then one must ask. Are they really his "2 cents"?

jbrown84
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
That's not what I mean.

I mean that the "My 2 Cents" segment is the TV version of an editorial page, not that he's taking his opinion from the paper.

andy157
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
That's not what I mean.

I mean that the "My 2 Cents" segment is the TV version of an editorial page, not that he's taking his opinion from the paper.Sorry about that, my understanding of your statement was flawed. What your saying is, that he has just created a new vehicle for which one person can express his and/or her personal opinion and/or view on any number of issues and/or topics. With that being said then yes, his comments really are "his 2 cents". Now, with that being said let me ask you this question, because I still don't understand. How exactly does "his 2 cents(personal opinion)" translate into news? I do agree with what you said about watching a different channel. I do.

jbrown84
07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
It's not news. Neither is the opinion page in the newspaper.

andy157
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
It's not news. Neither is the opinion page in the newspaper.I must be a bit slow, but I believe I understand now what you said. If not, then hell, don't worry about it. It just wasn't meant to be.

The opinion page in the newspaper is not news. It's simply the editors personal opinion, and his/her views on certain issues, of which, has been reduced to writing. It just so happens to be published within the four corners of the newspaper. Mr. Ogle simply took that written format, he then modified it into a verbal made for live t.v. format. He then made himself the editor, gave his new format a catchy name, and proceeded to tell those who choose to watch and listen, just exactly what he thinks. It's not news. It just happens to be aired during the channel 9 news broadcast at 6 & 10. I got it...I think.

jbrown84
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't know why you are so hung up on the fact that it's not news. I never said it was. I said it had a place as an editorial segment of the newscast just like there is a place for an opinion page in a newspaper.

And I know for a fact that "My 2 Cents" was not Kelly's idea, and he didn't want to do it at first.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I am throwing my support behind the name "Scissortails," since it is (1) pure Oklahoma and (2) likely to produce a mascot named Edward Scissortail, who could be, given the opportunity, a real cut-up.

Well the state bird of Utah (landlocked) is the seagull. Thank goodness they went with Jazz instead. Not that I have thought of (or ever will) Utah as having a whole of Jazz going on...But I think they made the better choice in keeping the NOLA name.

We don't have that option, and not many of the names I see being bandied about are really clicking with me. Barons just brings up memories of that big floating fat guy in Dune.

I think that we should call them the same thing people at work call me: The Awesome.

andy157
07-07-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't know why you are so hung up on the fact that it's not news. I never said it was. I said it had a place as an editorial segment of the newscast just like there is a place for an opinion page in a newspaper.

And I know for a fact that "My 2 Cents" was not Kelly's idea, and he didn't want to do it at first.You said, "and translating it to T.V. news". It's quite clear. I first took that comment to say something far different from what you understood it to say. Sorry. For the record, trust me, I'm no where even close to being hung up on the fact that, "his 2 cents are (is) not news.

I have never even remotely considered "his 2 cents" news. And quite frankly "his 2 cents are not worth the time they take away from the meaningfull, and the worthwhile news. Henceforth the very reason I no longer watch News9.

But now, I'm feeling somewhat sorry for Mr. Ogle. It must really suck when you have to do something that someone else wants you to do, even when you really don't want to do it.

kevinpate
07-07-2008, 05:41 AM
A bright light for the moments devoted to Ogle's my two cents and our two cents of response ... it takes time away from any Amanda T segments. Seems a nice lass, but I guess I still miss Brad or something.

jbrown84
07-07-2008, 11:09 AM
You said, "and translating it to T.V. news". It's quite clear. I first took that comment to say something far different from what you understood it to say. Sorry.

But now, I'm feeling somewhat sorry for Mr. Ogle. It must really suck when you have to do something that someone else wants you to do, even when you really don't want to do it.

Yeah sorry, I should have said "translating it to the TV news format".

As far as him not wanting to do it, I simply meant that at first, he was reluctant to do it because he is not the type to jump at the chance to make it all about him and his views.

I like the concept, even if I don't always agree with his views. Given the fact that they are usually stretching to find "worthwhile" local news, it doesn't bother me at all that they are taking 2 minutes for this segment.