View Full Version : Sonics settlement?

Pages : [1] 2

SouthsideSooner
07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Sonics and city of Seattle negotiating settlement

By Darnell Mayberry
Staff Writer
The city of Seattle and the SuperSonics are negotiating a settlement to their lease dispute, a Seattle City Councilman said Wednesday, but the status of former owner Howard Schultz’s lawsuit is holding up a resolution.

“I hear that they were trying to work one up but I didn’t know whether they were successful or not,” said Councilman Richard McIver. “And I thought it was around something where (the Sonics owners) were trying to get Seattle to involve Schultz’s suit withdrawal and that didn’t come out, so I guess it fell apart.”

McIver said any settlement would have to be approved by the Seattle City Council.

Other officials connected with the case declined comment.

Judge Marsha Pechman is scheduled to announce her ruling in the case at 6 p.m. central time.

During the trial, which ended on Thursday, Sonics owners argued that KeyArena was no longer a competitive NBA venue and was at the root of the team's financial problems, which began before Oklahoma City investor Clay Bennett and others bought the team in 2006 .

Seattle leaders filed the lawsuit last fall to keep the Sonics from moving to Oklahoma City.

During the six-day trial the city claimed the owners couldn't buy out the last two years of the lease because a dollar figure couldn't be put on the value that the 41-year-old franchise brings to the city.

Witnesses, including Bennett, estimated during the trial that the team could lose upwards of $60 million over the last two years of the lease .

The Sonics' lead attorney, Brad Keller, argued that the relationship between the city and the owners was a failed marriage and that the Sonics shouldn't be forced to stay under the city's roof for the final two years when a financial remedy was available.

The owners also contended in their case that the city's lawsuit was part of a plan to keep the Sonics in Seattle and hurt them financially so they would consider selling the team to a group of Seattle-area investors.

City officials denied taking part in any plan to bleed the owners and said they had told Bennett in 2006 that they intended for the Sonics to honor the terms of the lease at KeyArena.

Sonics and city of Seattle negotiating settlement | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/sonics-and-city-of-seattle-negotiating-settlement/article/3264955/?tm=1215026719)

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow, I was way wrong in saying there was no way at this point! Makes sense, though.

IF SEATTLE WINS:
Roughly $11 mil in rent, very limited extra cash due to Sonics as a business doing poorly there. Clay & Co. out millions and millions. Only small chance of Sonics ultimately staying in Seattle.

IF PBC WINS:
Clay only pays the $11 mil in rent, maybe a little more, and he's gone to OKC. City: gets that money, but it's almost certainly less than the $26mil offered. Zero chance of Sonics ultimately staying in Seattle.

IF SETTLE:
Clay pays $26 mil and gets to leave immedaitely. Seattle pays off KeyArena debt and on to trying to lure another team. Better chance of luring NBA team than if Seattle loses, but no guarantees.

BDP
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Makes sense, though.

Yeah, that's pretty much the only course of action that has ever made sense. We'll see if it can work out.

Do you think the PBC should only settle if they can get some sort of assurance or resolution on the Shultz case? I kind of think they should settle either way.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it's asking a lot of Seattle to make that a dealbreaker. Seattle technically has no control over that. Also, if makes Schutlz's lawsuit LESS beneficial to win at all- someone in SEA might own the team, but it's leased to play in Oklahoma City with no lease in Seattle. At that point, who would even want to step forward and own the team?

scotplum
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the only course of action that has ever made sense. We'll see if it can work out.

Do you think the PBC should only settle if they can get some sort of assurance or resolution on the Shultz case? I kind of think they should settle either way.

Like it was brought up on another board, do you think the city has received indications on the judge's resolution?

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
It's possible. I doubt it, but it is possible. Really, just logic dictates the city should settle. The "best case scenario" fork in the road for Seattle was about two years ago. Now it's rock and sucky place, and they can roll the dice or take some guaranteed money...but it's even EASIER than that...if they "roll the dice" they are still without local ownership with a team leaving in 2 years and they will get about half as much money. They're essentially giving up 15 million (or whatever) to have the Sonics for two more years.

BDP
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Also, if makes Schutlz's lawsuit LESS beneficial to win at all- someone in SEA might own the team, but it's leased to play in Oklahoma City with no lease in Seattle. At that point, who would even want to step forward and own the team?

That's a good point.

The PBC needs to just settle this case and let the other chips fall where they may.

do you think the city has received indications on the judge's resolution?

No idea. But the city has to know its financial stake. Whether they win or lose this case, the only way for them to get paid well and paid now is through a settlement. If anything, they may be beginning to feel that their political obligations have been made, both objectively and superficially. I think that's been the only thing holding up a settlement and the only thing motivating all of this ligitgation. So, if they feel they are at a point where they can say they tried as hard as they could to stick it to them and still got paid, well, then a settlement is probably in their best interest. They will look like fools if they wait 2 years, the Sonics leave, and they have debt on an areana with no tenant that has I-91 saddled to it.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
BINGO BDP! Give that poster a prize! :D

http://www.free-bingo.co.uk/prizes/prize-2.jpg

scotplum
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
It's possible. I doubt it, but it is possible. Really, just logic dictates the city should settle. The "best case scenario" fork in the road for Seattle was about two years ago. Now it's rock and sucky place, and they can roll the dice or take some guaranteed money...but it's even EASIER than that...if they "roll the dice" they are still without local ownership with a team leaving in 2 years and they will get about half as much money. They're essentially giving up 15 million (or whatever) to have the Sonics for two more years.

I agree with you about what Seattle should have done however, given Seattle's stance up to and during the trial, it would seem odd that they would settle only hours/minutes away from a ruling.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree....why waste all that public money on lawyers then settle? It's pretty stupid. All of the results discussed in this thread were all blatantly obvious well before the trial began. One side will win, the other will lose, and there are the predictable precipitates of each scenario.

CuatrodeMayo
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
What a joke of a story. Nobody really knows if they even are talking.

scotplum
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Seattle folks (deputy mayor Tim Ceis) are all declining to comment. I wonder if something is being worked out?

betts
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Yeah, I wonder if this is even old news....stuff that was being discussed during the trial rather than today.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM

A city council member says at some point they were negotiating when no negotiations have apparently taken place at all in months and months...that's a story in my world.

Pete
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
This was just posted on the Seattle Times website. Looks very promising:

July 2, 2008 2:01 PM
Godden: Looks like a settlement for Sonics and city (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonicstrial/)

Posted by Jim Brunner

Colleague Sharon Chan reports that she just asked Seattle City Councilmember Jean Godden if the mayor is settling with the Sonics owners.

"It looks like it, but I'm afraid what little I know is sworn to secrecy until after the mayor's press conference," said Godden. A press conference is scheduled for 5 p.m.

Another source confirmed there is a settlement.

BDP
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Which is an hour after the ruling is supposed to be reported, right?

Pete
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes, they said the ruling was to released on the 'net by 4PM west coast time.

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
SETTLEMENT REACHED!

http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=8609152

Pete
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
This has got to mean the Sonics will move almost immediately. :)

CuatrodeMayo
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
SETTLEMENT REACHED!

News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Reports: Sonics, Seattle reach settlement (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=8609152)

Read the report news9 is referencing...rumor.

Kerry
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Sworn to secrecy? Quick, someone ask Slade Gorton what is going on.

Pete
07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
A settlement is binding and wouldn't bring endless appeals, which is what is likely no matter the ruling later today.

This is great news! I really believe the club could move in the very near future. Plenty of time to get settled and ready for the 2008/09 season!

CuatrodeMayo
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Now it's looks like a done deal...(I hope)

Local News | Sonics, city settle lawsuit | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008030229_sonitrial02.html)

Saberman
07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, they said the ruling was to released on the 'net by 4PM west coast time.

Word is that the Judges decision will not be released now.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I wonder how that works with the judgment...

CrimsonOberon
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Time to celebrate.

Drinks are on me.:congrats:

Karried
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I have goosebumps.. but I'm a little scared to get my hopes up just yet....

CrimsonOberon... where are you and more importantly, where are the free drinks...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! ( cautiously said) lol

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
hahahaha me too, Karried- feel the same way.

OKC Guide
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I just did an interview with a radio station in Seattle, and they're hearing the settlement news as well. I'm with you guys, though, hesitant to get too excited.

Saberman
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Bret Favre stole the headlines in ESPN Sports Center, didn't even talk about Sonics.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe it was prerecorded. OK, so, there almost certainly is a settlement. What are the chances of it being to where the Sonics are NOT in OKC this year? (NOT counting Schuiltz's suit)

LovableGoober
07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Is it possible that Bennett, et al, got a little worried and settled without moving to OKC next season?

Kerry
07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like Seattle was wrong after all. I guess you can put a price on civic pride.

Nawfside OKC
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
free starbucks coffee on me !!! p.s I hear there playing sleepless in seattle back 2 back on HBO up there tonight...

Saberman
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
For those questions we will have to wait until 7pm press conf. to find out. No other word ahs been released on any of the elements of the settlement.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Is it possible that Bennett, et al, got a little worried and settled without moving to OKC next season?

Possible, but not probable in my mind.

OKC Guide
07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Possible, but not probable in my mind.

Agreed. There's no incentive for the owners to do that before the decision. There is, however, an incentive for the city to settle before the decision. If they felt like there was a chance they'd lose, it could be the last chance for them to have any bargaining power in retaining the Sonics logo, colors, etc.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know for sure whether PEchman's written decision will be released and where, if so?

scotplum
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
If they do realease the verdict:

City of Seattle v. Professional Basketball Club LLC - 2:2007cv01620 - Justia Federal District Court Filings and Dockets (http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-wawdce/case_no-2:2007cv01620/case_id-146857/)

OKC Guide
07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
ESPN is saying Schultz was part of the settlement talks. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-13/Report--City-and-Sonics-Settle.html) Interesting...

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
From the Seattle Times web site:

"Sources at city hall confirmed news of the settlement today. Former Sonics owner and Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz will not drop his lawsuit against Clay Bennett as part of the settlement, said sources familiar with the deal."

The Seattle Times | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html)

scotplum
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
ESPN is saying Schultz was part of the settlement talks. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-13/Report--City-and-Sonics-Settle.html) Interesting...

The Seattle Times is reporting the opposite. Who knows at this point?

One site also claimed the judgment would not be posted at 6 PM.

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
The Seattle Times is reporting the opposite. Who knows at this point?

One site also claimed the judgment would not be posted at 6 PM.

Not according to their web site (see my post right above yours)

OKC Guide
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
From the Seattle Times web site:

"Sources at city hall confirmed news of the settlement today. Former Sonics owner and Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz will not drop his lawsuit against Clay Bennett as part of the settlement, said sources familiar with the deal."

The Seattle Times | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html)

Yep, just saw that. Another said he was the one holding up the settlement at one point, so I guess they went ahead without him.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington - Federal Courthouse - Seattle and Tacoma (http://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/)

can't even get into the site right now.

Kerry
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Peachman releases statement saying there will be no verdict.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Lame!

Toadrax
Channel 9 said that Bennet would hold a press conference at 7pm on... channel 9.

OKC Guide
I really wish we could know what the ruling would have been...

Intrepid
From the Pechman order:

"The parties have settled the case. Details of the settlement will be released by the
parties."

http://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/documents/HomePageAnnouncements/sonicsorder.pdf

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I really wish we could know what the ruling would have been...

Me too, btu there are lots of good reasons for them not to tell us.

OKC Guide
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Local News | Sonics, city reach settlement | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008030229_sonitrial02.html)

$75 million payment, might not have to pay all if Seattle gets another team

Pete
07-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Says there will be concurrent 7PM (OK time) news conferences; one in Seattle, the other in OKC.

Bet the local news will carry the OKC version.

brianinok
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I am surprised at the $75 million figure. I would have expected something in the $50-60 range, since that is what Clay thought he would lose up there the next 2 years.

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 05:53 PM
From the Seattle Times:

"The Supersonics will bid Seattle farewell as part of a settlement with the city, according to a City Hall source. In exchange, the city would receive up to $75 million — less if the city gets another NBA team."

Intrepid
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
From the Seattle Times:

"The Supersonics will bid Seattle farewell as part of a settlement with the city, according to a City Hall source. In exchange, the city would receive up to $75 million — less if the city gets another NBA team."

My apologies on posting info that has already been posted. I my page didn't refresh like I thought it had.

:tiphat:

sethsrott
07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
It has happened movement begins tomorrow! The cost is 45M with an additional 30M possible.

jbrown84
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
The big question is what will the team be called? You need a name to start selling tickets and such. So far he hasn't mentioned it.

MadMonk
07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I think the name will be Storm. If you go to supersonics.com and click on the ticket information it takes you to secure.sonics-storm.com.

LovableGoober
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Storm was the WNBA team name