View Full Version : Robinson exit plans re: Ford Center Expansion

metro
07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Highway off-ramp to be moved as part of Ford Center expansion
City Sentinel
Wednesday, 04 June 2008

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll226/Tendollarrod/Ramp.jpg

An arial view of I-40 next to the Ford Center shows what the Oklahoma Department of Transportation intends to do with the Robinson Avenue exit later this year. A public meeting Thursday in City Hall was held to show residents what the plan entails with an estimated timeline.

By Rod Jones

Project managers for the highway modification portion of the Ford Center expansion project held a meeting Thursday to educate the public on how an I-40 highway off-ramp would be changed to create the needed room.

Currently, the exit ramp for Robinson Avenue off the westbound lane encroaches into the space where the Ford Center will expand, so engineers came up with a way to re-route the exit lane along a different path farther from the arena. The new route hugs the highway to a traffic light rather than branch off toward the edge of the arena.
Wayne Courville of the city’s Public Works Department said the ramp would be closed for an estimated 150 days when construction begins, which is slated for October with a completion date sometime in March next year.
While the city is covering the construction costs and design work, Courville said the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) would be involved on the administrative side because the project involves an Interstate highway. Oklahoma City voters approved a one-cent sales tax in March to renovate and expand the Ford Center.
The renovation includes installing the main entrances to the Ford Center on the south side of the building facing the highway. Future plans are to replace I-40, which is moving a few blocks south, with a boulevard running in front of the main entrance.

Read the rest of this story in the June 4 issue of The City Sentinel

Kerry
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Hopefully this won't cost too much money. I hate to spend big dollars on something that is only going to last 2 years (or longer if T.E. has his way) and then be removed. If we wait long enough cars can exit directly from I-40 onto Robinson when the next big hole opens up in the deck.

Joe Kimball
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry, I'm slow today---who is T.E., and what is his way with regard to the I-40 relocation?

metro
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Hopefully this won't cost too much money. I hate to spend big dollars on something that is only going to last 2 years (or longer if T.E. has his way) and then be removed. If we wait long enough cars can exit directly from I-40 onto Robinson when the next big hole opens up in the deck.

Sorry I couldn't resist, if this gets delayed any longer (which it probably will yet again), perhaps cars won't need an exit ramp as they will simply hover over the road:fighting4

betts
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
This may sound stupid, but do we really need an exit ramp off Robinson for two more years? Wouldn't it simply be cheaper to remove the ramp (considering the fact that it will be closed for six months anyway? I understand that it will make getting off downtown more difficult, but people could simply exit one exit earlier.

Kerry
07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
T.E. is Tom Elmore and he is almost single handedly slowing progress on the I-40 relocation while he is on a personal mission to save the rail yard at Union Station.

kevinpate
07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Harsh Kerry.

Irrespective of whether you agree with Elmore or not, it wasn't Elmore that fudged info in the track closure application. The incorrect information is what resulted in proponents of closing the tracks as 'abandoned' getting their hats handed to them as they were pointed back in the direction of Square 1.

Whatever you think of him, Elmore wasn't who created the current problem.

Kerry
07-01-2008, 07:13 PM
...never mind... this thread isn't about T.E.

jbrown84
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
If we wait long enough cars can exit directly from I-40 onto Robinson when the next big hole opens up in the deck.

lol

kevinpate
07-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I've no idea of the traffic count on the particular exit, but I suppose it's high enough that just closing the exit is not an option. Pity, considering other transportation needs

DelCamino
07-02-2008, 08:35 AM
This may sound stupid, but do we really need an exit ramp off Robinson for two more years? Wouldn't it simply be cheaper to remove the ramp (considering the fact that it will be closed for six months anyway? I understand that it will make getting off downtown more difficult, but people could simply exit one exit earlier.

Sounds logical Betts, but you have to know that should this major exit to downtown be closed for a significant amount of time, many people in the the city and region, including members here, would be off and running about how inept the city and ODOT were for closing it.

They have to do something to alleviate the traffic and this, to me, sounds like the best plan. And I'm all over the news that the Ford Center rehab is gearing up, and if this helps that move along, it's great.

jbrown84
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
It would be a major hassle to close it. The nearest exits would be Western/Classen to the west and to the east you'd have to take 235 to Sheridan.

OKCMallen
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
It's a major exit into downtown. Closing it is NOT a good idea.

Thunder
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Last I drove by the Ford Center, it seem pretty much close to the highway. Now, they want to dangerously expand the Ford Center within inches from the highway? They want another main entrance on the south side, facing the highway... Okay, so people have to deal with the traffic noise as they enter that side of the building with a fear of thought that a car may plow overhead from an accident toward the area.

Is this specific stretch of highway being moved south? So, they are going to be spending money to move the exit ramp and then spend more money to tear it all apart for the highway stretch relocation?

Couldn't the owners of Ford Center wait until the highway projects is done over? What about the "core to shore" project? Placement of the oil derrick and ferris wheel?

What are they going to do with the old mills on the south side of the highway, across from the Ford Center?

Oh yeah, people entering that side of the building will see how degraded the highway bridges is and be exposed to graphics done by gangs.

These people need to start thinking.

sroberts24
07-03-2008, 11:04 AM
ae you kidding? no the sooner its done the better our city looks, and just get it done, that way when we build the boulevard the ford center is already done and is looking good!

jbrown84
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Last I drove by the Ford Center, it seem pretty much close to the highway. Now, they want to dangerously expand the Ford Center within inches from the highway? They want another main entrance on the south side, facing the highway... Okay, so people have to deal with the traffic noise as they enter that side of the building with a fear of thought that a car may plow overhead from an accident toward the area.

Don't be ridiculous. It's not going to be that close.

Is this specific stretch of highway being moved south? So, they are going to be spending money to move the exit ramp and then spend more money to tear it all apart for the highway stretch relocation?

It's not the most ideal situation, but it will be 4 or 5 years (maybe more) before the current crosstown is ready to be demolished.

Couldn't the owners of Ford Center wait until the highway projects is done over? What about the "core to shore" project? Placement of the oil derrick and ferris wheel?

The city owns the Ford Center, and will also pay for the new ramp. As I said above, it will be some time before the crosstown is out of the way. We can't wait that long. And there will be NO OIL DERRICK.

What are they going to do with the old mills on the south side of the highway, across from the Ford Center?

What does this have to do with anything?

Oh yeah, people entering that side of the building will see how degraded the highway bridges is and be exposed to graphics done by gangs.

People are not blind. They have already seen these things. Not having a south entrance to the FC wouldn't prevent that. Many people park for the Ford Center under the crosstown already.

Thunder
07-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Well is the old mills still operating? If not, demonish the whole area and improve it for the Oklahoma River projects, expand the Bricktown canal, and more.

ourulz2000
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Dangerously close? Isn't the movie theater really close? I don't see people crashing into it...

Thunder
07-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Is there enough parking spaces owned by the movie theater?

OKCisOK4me
07-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Well is the old mills still operating? If not, demonish the whole area and improve it for the Oklahoma River projects, expand the Bricktown canal, and more.

Look up 'Core 2 Shore' improvements on okc.gov, before you open your mouth again, please! All of this is outlined and talked about in those. And if you can't make progress there, please look at old threads--as it has all been discussed before!

Thunder
07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for your mouth (fingers). :) Now I know there is a okc.gov!

jbrown84
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes the "old mills" are still operating, so don't expect change there anytime soon.