View Full Version : UFC in OKC

bretthexum
07-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Mods - please feel free to move to whereever you feel appropriate.

Did you see the article on NewsOK.com about the UFC planning an event in OKC? I think this would be aweseome to see. But be prepared to shell out some cash. Lower level seats will be at least $200...

AFCM
07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Hopefully, this is a precursor to getting Pride, which I think is more entertaining and punishing than UFC. To each their own, though; I just like Pride's style a little more.

OKCTalker
07-01-2008, 11:44 AM
For the uninitiated, "UFC" is...

OU Adonis
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
MMA fighting.

sgt. pepper
07-01-2008, 12:20 PM
what's mma?

bretthexum
07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Mixed Martial Arts.

traxx
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
MMA fighting.

Why even answer with this?

UFC is Ultimate Fighting Championship and MMA was answered above.

CS_Mike
07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Hopefully, this is a precursor to getting Pride, which I think is more entertaining and punishing than UFC. To each their own, though; I just like Pride's style a little more.

I hate to break it to you, but Pride is defunct. The promotion was bought by the owners of the UFC last year, and for a while they had considered continuing to run it as a separate promotion. That fell by the wayside though, and many of the top Pride fighters have since been brought into the UFC.

grandshoemaster
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm there!

SoonerBob
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Here is the article.

Are you ready for the UFC? | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3262816/)

The UFC is coming to OKC.
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White indicated that the mixed martial arts league will be bringing one of its major events to Oklahoma City sometime in the next six or eight months.

"We're working on bringing a live event there,” White said.

He spoke Thursday morning at the Associated Press Sports Editors' convention in Minneapolis.

The event in Oklahoma City could be on Spike TV or pay-per-view.

No doubt the UFC took notice of the market after the debut of primetime mixed martial arts on network television. CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights was the top-rated sports event in the Oklahoma City market during the first week of June.

The market also produced the highest rating for all CBS affiliates in the 10:30 to 10:45 p.m. time slot. Oklahoma City drew an 11.1 share during that time for the main bout, Kimbo Slice's victory against James Thompson.

The Ford Center would likely be the venue for the UFC event. UFC 87 is set for early August at the Target Center in Minneapolis, a 20,500-seat arena, while UFC 88 will be in early September at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, an 18,729-seat venue.

The Ford Center's capacity is 19,599.

solitude
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah, that's just what we "need" --- a White Trash "sport" in our fair city. I suppose if it would fit anywhere.......

julieriggs
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I am so excited! We went to Vegas for one of the fights and it was an amazing experience to see it in person.

BTW... While I may be white and trashy (LOL!) I don't think it is appropriate to label MMA as a "white trash sport". Professional MMA fighters come from a broad range of races and nations, more diverse than traditional boxing I think. Judo, jujitsu, muay thai and wrestling... you don't consider that sport? If so, you have obviously never studied the martial arts.

PLANSIT
07-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Yeah, that's just what we "need" --- a White Trash "sport" in our fair city. I suppose if it would fit anywhere.......

What an ignorant post... on all levels.

bretthexum
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM

I tell ya what - I thought the same until I watched it. It's unreal how athletic these guys are. Check it out sometime.

bombermwc
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I would never go, but I wouldn't call it trashy. These dudes are some beasts and could kick anyone's tails. They aren't fat like WWF style "wrestlers".

Plus if you call this trashy, what the crap do you call WWF? Compost?

solitude
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry. That probably was stupid for me to say. When I see all that "extreme fighting" on TV I can't help but think "white trash." I probably have it all wrong and shouldn't have said anything at all.

bornhere
07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
At least UFC isn't demanding a bunch of tax incentives and luxury suites to show up here.

absonjourney
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
hey solitude...

don't feel bad. people have thought mma was a white trash sport for years, because it started out with a bad rep-no rules, no weight classes, and mostly fat white guys beating on each other. then came royce gracie and brazilian jiu jitsu and organizations like Pride (now a part of the UFC). it's no longer a white trash sport. it has rules, weight classes, and fans from all races, countries, and backgrounds. it's also fast paced and incredibly difficult...think chess with blood. would recommend you go to a sports bar on saturday night and watch the UFC fight on PPV. see if you change your mind...

jbrown84
07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
it's just one event, no different than a Hannah Montana concert or WWE Monday Night Raw. You can't really compare this to the NBA, born.

dismayed
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I actually had the same impression of MMA, mostly because of those early years like what absonjourney mentioned. I happened to watch a few fights recently and was really surprised that it is so much more professional now. Today it's basically kind of like muy thai or a cross between wrestling and kick-boxing.

edcrunk
07-05-2008, 04:26 AM
so what is TAPOUT...
i see somewhat trashy people rocking these tees all over. i figured it was something to do with this type of stuff.

andy157
07-05-2008, 05:41 AM
it's just one event, no different than a Hannah Montana concert or WWE Monday Night Raw. You can't really compare this to the NBA, born.You are absolutly right, and I agree. There's no comparison. The UFC is much more popular, and has a lot more class, than the NBA.

kevinpate
07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Now THAT ^ was hysterical!

dismayed
07-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Tapout makes equipment for MMA. It is to MMA as Ping or Topflight might be to golf.

edcrunk
07-05-2008, 05:19 PM
thanks for dropping the knowledge on me, dismayed, i see the shirts almost daily at my day job.