View Full Version : Craig's List Beware

Karried
06-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Okay, I know most of you know this but this is for the few that haven't heard about this particular scam yet, here goes.. maybe it will prevent someone from getting ripped off.

Hubby got a phone call from a friend who tells him of a relative who just got ripped off to the tune of nearly 5K for the purchase of 2 Jet Skis on Craigs' List in Texas.

I don't know all of the details but this buyer completely trusted this seller after much communication and delivered a check to the 'seller' who said to meet him at the location later to pick up the jet skis .. of course, they stupidly gave him a check and then showed up at the address to pick them up and - no jet skis.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. The person that lived there said ' you are the second party to come to this address to pick up non existent merchandise'

The check was cashed instantly and now there is no sign on the seller.

This is so disturbing on so many levels.

I can't believe anyone in this day and age would be SOOO stupid to give a check for 5K to a stranger!

Why in God's name would you even part with that kind of money without seeing the product/title etc, first?

Be careful out there. Scam artists are really getting creative on so many levels..... just be smart.

Midtowner
06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
That scam isn't even creative though.

Karried
06-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I know, it was just pure stupidity on the buyer's part.

I'm sure there were more details I'm not aware of, at least I hope so, because I can't even fathom that someone could be this naive and just so unbelievably stupid.

RabidRed
06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
BTW. I have some jet skis for sale. I only ask you send me cash ($5000), NO checks please. It was too hard to cash on the last skis sold.

Toadrax
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Do they not have escrow type services in Texas?

kevinpate
06-30-2008, 04:06 AM
no, but they're apparently well stocked on abscond services
8^)

metro
06-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I'll say it for Midtowner: caveat emptor