View Full Version : Best security system

SoonerQueen
06-28-2008, 10:38 PM
What is the best security system for a computer?My favorite is Kaspersky's but for some reason it won't install on my computer. I am using the free AVG now and it seems to be working ok, but I really want to put an all purpose security system on my laptop.Do you have any suggestions? I want something that is really strong and nothing will get through.

Toadrax
06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
I want something that is really strong and nothing will get through.

No such thing. Unless you are smart and conservative with how you use your computer, you are going to break it.

All you can really ask from an antivirus program is for it not to mess up your computer and not slow it down. I always tell people that I would rather have a virus than have norton installed.

Eset's nod32 is one of the better antivirus program, and its "smart security" suite will not make your computer run any slower or take up that much memory when running. It even has a 30-day trial.

Free Smart Security Downloads from ESET (http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_ess.php)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-29-2008, 01:51 AM
That's no lie, I bought a laptop from Best Buy, and it took me TWO FREAKIN DAYS to get all the preinstalled junk off of it (and I'm a friggin' Windows SA). Norton is the absolute worst too. It's 10x as bad as any bug I've manually removed.

I've gotten to the point to where I run a software/hardware firewalls, and call it good. I've not had any sort of bug in 5 years.

*knocks on silicone*

flintysooner
06-29-2008, 05:06 AM
I hate Norton.

Apparently I am not smart enough for Kaspersky. We were using AVG a lot for a while and still have a number of machines running it. But I don't really like it. It doesn't do very well with adware stuff.

Actually I'm using CA (just the anti-virus, not the suite) on my laptop and I think I like it better.

We still have a lot of machines with Fprot, too, but probably will change out.

BailJumper
06-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I use Avast - avast! antivirus - high security and protection from malware with anti-spyware and anti-rootkit software built in (http://www.avast.com/) and have been very happy over the last several years. I use the free version and it has lots of good reviews online. I've never had an infection so far.

Jon27
06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Why don't you guys like Norton? I have Windows Vista. I've been using McAfee, but I really think it's been slowin' me down! I've thought about getting Norton 360, but after reading this, I want to know your thoughts on it. I used to use Avast Freeware also, should I just go back to that? I just need AntiVirus really. The Vista Firewall with my router is sufficient.

BailJumper
06-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I found Norton to be a drain on my systems speed. To many bells and whistles. I can hardly tell Avast is running and it has never let me down.

SoonerQueen
06-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Kaspersky's isn't that hard to use. I use it on two of our computers and really like it a lot. I am just a very average user. I just can't get it to install right on my laptop.Nice thing about it is that it doesn't use a lot of space which I hear Norton's does.There are so many different ones out there, I want the best on my laptop because i use it the most.

flintysooner
06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I can't always get it to install either. The most recent problem I had was it quit after a systems update and I never could get it working again. I've had the same problem with Trend but not as bad. And I am a programmer.

Norton is a hog for one thing but also has caused random problems for us including BSODs. Some systems don't want to restart the service after reboots but beats me why.

But the biggest problem we have is clients allowing stuff in.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Norton stopping you from getting a virus is about as likely as monkeys flying out of your butt. Norton removing one after it's already infected your computer? BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not unless the virus is over 5 years old.

For the most part...It's PICNIC that causes the problems and education/savvy is the best A/V "software".

BDP
06-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I have been using BitDefender, due to a lot of good reviews and so far so good. It doesn't seem to bog anything down and only really warns of things that I care about (registry changes). It seems to be a very good value.

I have used Kraspersky and AVG. I like Kraspersky better, but all are suffecient, imo.

And because you can't say it enough: "Norton SUCKS!"

SoonerQueen
07-09-2008, 02:00 AM
After keeping my computer for almost 4 days, they couldn't get the Kaspersky's to work either. So they put Webroot anti virus and spyware with a complimentary firewall on my computer. I looked and what i got has 4 stars and the kaspersky's gets 5. So I guess i have good security, just not what I had hoped for.If I reformatted, I could probably use the kaspersky's but it's a lot of work to start all over.

flintysooner
07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Best malware security I've found is SUPERAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/). The free version is better than any of the others I've tried but the purchase option is inexpensive and worth it imo.